Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can tell it's a Vesper Sparrow because it's sitting on a fence post. :v: I have never seen one anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've heard 'Owl Prowl' used for that sort of thing, but I don't know how common it is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not familiar with the western half of the continent, but I think they're probably swallows of some kind? Barn Swallows have nests like that but the birds you're describing sound less colourful.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe they're tree swallows?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it might be a Great Kiskadee?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How is it decided where a species is divided? The other day I was at an event and the leader of our hike was telling us about how the golden-winged warbler was in decline because they were interbreeding with the blue-winged warbler, and the resulting offspring sometimes backcrossing further. Either bird might learn the other's song, too. But, like, if the two species can successfully breed and the hybrids are fertile and they live in the same spaces and share songs, aren't they the same dang bird? Is this a matter of species conservation or bird eugenics? While I'm at it, are we sure that Empidonax flycatchers are actually different species or is it just kind of a prank on new birders?

Also while I was there we saw, among other things, Sandhill Cranes with a chick, and two Piping Plovers hooking up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure if I can think that, say, hawks are cool then I can also be okay with cowbirds. Because while laying your eggs in someone else's nest is not neighborly behavior, it's still friendlier than eating them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cythereal posted:

I have one in Florida. It's 50% squirrels, 20% cardinals, 20% blue jays, 9% woodpeckers, 1% titmice.

Until the grackles discover it at which point my yard gets covered in grackles until I take the feeder down for a few months.

I know squirrel repellent feeders can be hit-or-miss but if you get the kind that spins them off you'll double your entertainment. There's also ones that prevent birds over a certain size from having feeder access, but I don't know how invested you actually are in bird feeders. What kind of seed are you using?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's probably eight or so different types of bird seed, all of which attract different bird combinations, but Mom swears by safflower seeds to keep the squirrels at bay. They also do not care much for Nyjer seed, which is the preferred seed for goldfinches. If you're really determined, some people mix in just a little bit of hot pepper flakes in their seed mixes, which squirrels dislike and birds are physiologically incapable of tasting.

(*Please note that this is all second hand knowledge, I don't live in a feeder friendly area myself but Mom has five or six different feeders at any given time so I assume she knows what she's doing)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Certain birds are more or less inclined to visit feeders based on diet/habits etc, a bunch of the birds you mentioned are either insect eaters or very shy of people. You might be able to get some if you put out water but attracting those sorts of birds is less of a 'buy a thing' job and more of a 'remodel your backyard for strategic shade and foliage, planting specific fruit trees and shrubs' sort of thing.

Also it can take a while for birds to figure out that you have food, some will pass by at the start of the season and if you didn't have anything, they won't check back until next year.

Hmm, I know orioles like fruit and nectar (with apparently a preference for oranges?) but their bills don't fit in most hummingbird feeders. Cedar waxwings also like fruit and blossoms, I once saw an entire flock mob and strip an apple tree. Pileated woodpeckers are HUGE and shy, I don't know if they'll go for a suet feeder, you might have to give them a whole dead tree.

Gold finches prefer Nyjer and thistle seed, but I think their breeding season just ended so it might be a little late for them?

Actually that might be a factor, I don't know what seasons birds are active in down in Florida, like right now I'm pretty sure half your birds are up north with me right now. If I ever manage to dig up my bird book again I'll get back to you on that one.

On the bright side you apparently have tufted titmice in your backyard, which are the cutest loving birds on the planet and if I ever saw more than a few a year I might die of joy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Chelb posted:

Texas Birds

I'll take a stab at it, but I'm not familiar with Texas birds and am making educated guesses from a field guide.

This is probably a Great Kiskadee.

The bad news is that a small brown bird in fall in Texas could be Literally Anything. Migratory bottleneck and all that. The good news is that you got a perfect shot of its yellow butt, and the Yellow-Rumped Warbler is the only bird so famous for having a yellow butt that it's named for it.

This is a Cormorant, or possibly an Anhinga. I don't know enough about either to make a call, but they are related birds and they're sorta weird.

Ooh ooh I know this one! That's almost certainly a Great Egret!

E: well I'm soundly beaten but my guesses match so :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not certain on your mystery bird, but I'm guessing that it's an off-season/nonbreeding Magnolia Warbler. They're quite striking in the spring!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe an Inca Dove? It's a long shot, but when I hear 'dove sized thing yelling at my window' the culprit is usually a dove.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like how it takes three degrees of madness before the bird names sound implausible.

(Dibs on Forest Tern)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Grosbeaks, they always make me think of an Oreo dipped in strawberry jam.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is it a great horned owl, or is it a dude imitating a great horned owl because he thought there was one in the area and is trying to track it down?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love wrens, they're ten pounds of yelling in about half an ounce of bird.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Orange crowned warblers definitely don't have a bill like that, maybe a young Lawrence's Goldfinch?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When a songbird fails to migrate south for the winter, is there anything you can reasonably do for it or do you just put out extra seed and pray? My mom's been having a chipping sparrow at the feeder for the last few days and we're in Southwestern Ontario. He should not be here.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You sure it's not an American Tree Sparrow? They look similar and that would be more likely in Ontario in winter.

I won't say I'm 100% sure, but Mom's pretty reliable on bird IDs and this didn't have a chest splotch or a two toned bill and the eye stripe was too dark.

And I guess there's not much I can do about it either way. I get that it's kind of how nature works, but I still have this basic 'oh no he looks cold :(' reaction when I see poofed out little sparrows at -12°C.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This is the dumb/obvious suggestion, but could it be a Mourning Dove?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's how mammals get you! Last week mom and I took a detour because we thought we heard a grebe and instead we found the world's loudest chipmunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the Vortex Diamondback is a really solid set of binoculars, I've had mine for nearly a decade and they've done a marvelous job.