Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Thankfully it's not that bad for me. If I need to take a phone call or go to the bathroom, I can. But there's no system in place for lunch breaks. If I go out for lunch, calls will get logged to me. People will still need updates on their calls etc. So most of the time I just eat a sandwich at 12, take 5 minutes, then dive straight back in.

This is illegal, you are REQUIRED a 30 minute break from work every 6 hours of work, whether this break is paid or unpaid doesn't matter. Now, it is definitely up to you to take this break or not, but if you stop working for 30 minutes for lunch your employer can't do poo poo about it if you work 6 or more hours. If your employer tries to stop you, you are well within your rights to inform uhh I forget the drat gov't agency at the moment.

Unless you are not from the US, in which case I don't know law, but I would guess it is at minimum this since we have the worst labor laws in the country world derp derp.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know what US you're living in, but at least on a Federal level, the only rule is that you have to get paid overtime for every hour over 40 and they can't pay you less than minimum wage. Anything else is either a state specific law, a union negotiated benefit or your employer giving breaks because it increases productivity.

Well, I guess that it's an illinois DOL law, I thought it was a federal law, my mistake

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Probably because California's laws, taxes, and culture are toxic as gently caress.

But the weather makes up for it amirite?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tasty Wheat posted:

Ah, first day on the new job, first time working in a cubical farm, first job in years where I am not actively worried about an IED or being shot.

Now if someone can just explain what my job is, that would be great.

You are there as cube defense master. Your job is to pretend to be working on some sort of charts, but instead you are actively monitoring for threats to the cube farm, specifically workers going postal on the office.

On a more serious note, congratulations on the job and welcome to a life of sitting on your rear end.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Erkenntnis posted:

They seemed pretty strict. I wonder if the experience gathered could push me towards a network engineer position.

Just not sure how I feel about the call center aspect of it - but on the other hand, it seems like there are very little networking specific jobs out there that are entry-level and aren't call centers.

Sounds like you'll be working at a large call center with lots of different clients, probably good experience since you get a wide variety, although you might not get very indepth with network layout and depending on your level of access configuration of equpiment, but it will be a good first step. My advice is to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can and GTFO to something better in 6months to a year if possible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I work 65hours or so between 2 jobs, plus have on average 13 hours of commute. Yes, wasting half a day in my car commuting sucks and it's going to slowly drive me insane. I do not recommend it to anyone at all and to do everything in your power to avoid commuting over 30 minutes a day.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

CDW posted:

30 years, I'm the only real IT staff (of 6 months) and the longest salesperson active right now is 2 years.

The only problem is getting out and trying to find another job, again.

Just get out of the initial "Looking for a job sucks" phase and it won't be so bad, it's always hard to start looking for a job, once you do get rolling it makes it easier, just make a schedule, devote X time a day/week/whatever to work on it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

smokmnky posted:

Do you guys just hit up the usual sites (dice, monster, careerbuilder, craigslist, etc) or anything special? I'm starting to look pretty actively now, ready to YOTJ

Haven't YOTJ'd yet, but I've started looking on the bigger sites like linkedin and the ones you have mentioned to get a feel for what is going on in my area, and to see if any thing sticks out (pretty much any jr network/sysadmin job)

content edit: Drinking Grey Goose on the rocks after a long day so delicious

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 18, 2013

MF_James
May 8, 2008

whaam posted:

This is what we have been doing. If I'm free to choose though would architect be a stupid title for someone designing/building all the in-house infrastructure for a medium-large corporation? Of course in this case that also means maintaining the more complex systems as well that the sysadmins/helpdesk aren't deeply familiar with (Storage, routing, messaging).

It does sound a whole lot like being an architect, you are planning, designing and putting into place a complex system (like an architect would plan/design a building). I would say, based on your description, that you are an architect of said systems.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Caged posted:

BarTender has a recommendation from me.

With only having seen the name, I recommend this product. At the very least, if it sucks, you already know what to do, go see your bartender!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Well, I thought we weren't going to get hit with cryptolocker, but I was wrong. Last week someone infected their computer and hit one of our network shares. At least the network share didn't have critical files on it, just a few small things people were working on that can be re-done. Today THREE people opened infected files, and this was immediately after my manager sent out an email to NOT open that poo poo.

At least it didn't hit anything business critical, 3 more machines to re-image, no network shares got hit this time as it was caught early enough.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Your A/V or E-Mail filter isn't catching it?

Nope, our AV isn't detecting it, apparently only 7 out of 49 or so different AVs actually catch it. Our mail filter didn't catch it either for some reason, but the emails we are getting are spoofing addresses from our domain, unsure if that's why it got through or because our filter is lovely because I don't handle that stuff.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

moron posted:

I have a career dilemma.

I recently moved to a new country, leaving my lovely helpdesk job in the UK behind. I wanted to use this move as an opportunity to progress my career, so I earned a CCNA prior to leaving so that I could focus on something that interests me - networking. Since hitting the job market here last week, I've been fairly busy. I've met with a few recruiters, had some encouraging feedback, have applied for a few interesting networking jobs, and I'm feeling pretty good about things. However, the one thing that concerns me is that employers may not be willing to take a chance on me in a network position due to the fact that my previous roles have all been second/third line support roles (albeit with a good amount of Cisco/networking experience).

A contracting role has just come up for a very large, well known local company as a network engineer, and it's been suggested that I'm a shoe-in due to some related experience I have. The job sounds pretty good, but the pay sucks. If you do the math, it comes to over $20k a year less than the other (full time) jobs I've been interested in, less than I was earning in the UK (after $/£ conversion), plus there's no benefits etc. The only thing attracting me to this job (aside from the fact that they're rather keen) is the prospect of having 'Network Analyst' on my resume, which I feel could potentially help for future job hunting. If the job paid better then I'd take it for sure, but it's not very good at all (to put things in perspective, my wife has a temp job doing data entry, and I would be getting paid the same amount as her).

So, thread, given my situation, would you just take the contracting work for the experience and something to put on your CV? Or would you hold on for something better? I'm inclined to say the latter, but I'm worried that I'm just being cocky, and would appreciate a view from a different perspective. FWIW, I have a decent amount of money saved, so i can happily remain unemployed whilst looking for something better.

Ask for a higher salary before declining, if they won't give it, it's up to you to decide if you can take the pay hit for a bit for the chance to have something better on the resume, or if you can stay unemployed and hold out for something better

MF_James
May 8, 2008

jeffstuart2003 (at) gmail

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MF_James posted:

Nope, our AV isn't detecting it, apparently only 7 out of 49 or so different AVs actually catch it. Our mail filter didn't catch it either for some reason, but the emails we are getting are spoofing addresses from our domain, unsure if that's why it got through or because our filter is lovely because I don't handle that stuff.

Follow-up to this, our lead sysadmin has decided to just block ZIP files, which is reasonable because no one really needs to get zip files but him and the other sysadmin, and only rarely, and in those instances the files can be changed to make it through the filter and then changed back upon saving to computer.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

QPZIL posted:

A Dell computer just caught fire spontaneously :stare:

Best new(old) feature?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

We hand out T420s, or did when I supported that side of the company, we used HPs/dells for a bit but users beat the poo poo out of those, Lenovos are loving tanks though. I do HATE the new trackpad on the lenovos but I used a mouse anyway so that point is moot.

I like the lenovos, they are very durable, we get great support due to paying a boatload, dell was also good with this though, never dealt with HP support, and if you get a decent machine (mine is a dual-core 2.8gz, 4GB RAM) it will run fine.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Bisse posted:

Yesterday I signed the contract for a developer position at a different company. :smug:

EDIT: A lesson to take away I guess is: If you fix the printer once, you'll always be the guy who fixes the printer. Don't become great at something if it's not what you want to do in the future.

Surprise! Employees won't be loyal if you gently caress them over, who would have thought?

Congratulations to you in multiple respects, getting a new job and not putting up with bullshit like that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Bishyaler posted:

I think this is a sign it's time to leave for greener pastures, but I wanted some more experienced opinions?

Sounds like you already have a good idea of what to do. IP telephony isn't super hard to support, but it sounds like a fairly poo poo enviroment and you should get out ASAP.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I need a slight bit of help from you folks here, my company has an ongoing project involving tablets, they're thinking about switching to IPads and so we're going to buy a few and test them out and dink around with them. I know previously that the management of these devices was a nightmare, I'm wondering how far this has come? Basically what we are going to do is have a few of these each in 2300 remote locations (so 2-5 in each location), we want to be able to manage/lock them down in some fashion, our end goal is to basically have them run 1 app and that's it.

I've seen a few offerings, but one of them, if the device loses power, (i.e. the battery goes dead) the settings revert and you can do anything. Others need to jailbreak the device which is NOT an option considering it voids the warranty. After doing some research I found a piece of software in the app store called "Apple Configurator" that seems like a darn good offering for centralized management with lots of promised features that would basically handle all we need and more. Does anyone have any experience with this piece of software or have any recommendations (other than don't buy ipads) that might be able to fulfill my requirements?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 13, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Swink posted:

^ Do I need an OSX server?

Edit - If so, whats the cheapest way to go about getting that?

This would also be something I'm wondering! I'm guessing yes to have centralized management I would need one, I don't think, due to the way we are going to set these up, that we will have them hooked into our AD structure.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dehry posted:

My company has been taking on more clients while at the same time not hiring back people as they leave. Long story short, a coworker is leaving and I'm going to be the sole agent for more than 10 clients for a 3 hour period of time in the early evening. Should I be looking for another job?

not exactly a lot of info to go on... the helpdesk that I just transitioned out of we had roughly 20 agents from 5:45am to 10:30pm to handle 2300+ remote locations... sooooooo if you think so, I guess yes? What do you do, what's your current workload with a second person?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Had a guy here mention while we were moving some stuff around that he wanted to cut all the zip ties on our cabling and switch to velcro. I am totally behind this idea because zip ties generally suck, but he said that it could cause crosstalk if the zip ties were too tight. These ties are just tight enough to keep things together, but is this a mythical COULD HAPPEN or is this a thing to legitimately be wary of?

If you ziptie the poo poo out of things, yes, it can happen, if it's just barely tight enough to keep the cables bundled it's probably not an issue. I've only run into this problem when the offending ziptie was as tight as possible and crimping the cables to begin with. Over-eager Verizon contractors/techs have caused fun problems.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm in Hampton Roads, but I kind of want to get the gently caress out of Hampton Roads. I've heard Nova is a nice market, especially since I have a DOD Secret clearance, but really, I'm open to moving pretty much anywhere in the US.

That right there should be like printing money for you, at least from what I've read.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

evobatman posted:

Even considering the emotional impact, how in the gently caress is that not a biohazard?

This, in most industries (all?) it is against the law to have people clean bio-hazardous materials. Certain jobs may be exempt (I bet IT is since we're exempt from everything), but generally someone that is management needs to clean up hazardous materials.

Also, sorry to hear about your friend, that really sucks.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Inhabitants of the IT world, greetings. I have a question -- is it possible to break into this field at all and do part time/work from home stuff after a little studying and acquiring certifications? Long story short, I was a CS geek that was into things like C, C++, and HTML like 12 years ago, and then I kind of dropped it when I went into the military. I have the aptitude for it, but not the training or credentials.

But now I'm getting to a point in the next few years where I'm chasing time at home rather than money, and I keep hearing about how people can work from home in the IT world, and now I'm wondering if I can return like the prodigal son that I am. I have a few years before I would even need to start working. Hell, I don't even know what kind of IT jobs I would like because the landscape has changed so much since then. Personally, I like the idea of using creativity and ingenuity from technical knowledge to solve problems, rather than just slaving away producing code all the time.

So, TL/DR; is it possible to do IT telecommuting or a part time IT job after community college/online courses and getting a few certifications?

Also, it's highly unlikely that your first IT job ever will be a telecommuting job, or that you will telecomute 100% of the time.

• Locked thread