Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Inspector_666 posted:

I got an e-mail from a "recruiter" with a fake "RE:" subject and for several positions that met none of my requirements or experience.

Yeah, that'll totally work.

A shady hardware vendor's marketing emails have proceeded from "Hi, check out our product", to "Buy 10 get 1 Free" to "Free Omaha Steaks with order!" to "Your Order XE-12-3dF14B."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Roargasm posted:

No matter which way I spin the numbers I'm coming up with at least $550 a month and $4K down to lease a 2013 Z4, closer to $800 :ssh: I'm really good at jokes tho so maybe there was some whoosh i missed

And that's to rent the loving car hahaha why do people do that

$309/mo for a 320i

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

three posted:

Anyone done Linux virtual desktops before? I looked at vWorkspace but it seems kind of meh.

Is there a good way to automate provisioning like one would with VMware View with Linux servers (theoretically, we could ignore that it'd be a "desktop" in technicality)? I'm guessing I'd need to use puppet or something and create a fair amount of logic.

I basically want to create a pool of Linux VMs that can be refreshed at reboot but can be hit on a pooled basis without having to know what server you're trying in to.

http://vcl.apache.org/

Hope you like very verbose logs and Perl.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sepist posted:

How many of you goons live in the DC area? I was down there this weekend bumming a free mini-vacation off my gf's corporate expensed trip and fell in love with the condo/apartments across from Reagan Airport, they're on Crystal Drive in Arlington. I am wondering how the commute is in that area on a daily basis, my limited exposure to that area is y'all are really slow drivers compared to us New Yorkers and it may drive me crazy, but maybe subway commuting would work. Also is the pay comparable to NYC metro area?

I don't live in the area, but traffic is absurd. Any road within the beltway turns into a parking lot during commute times. I once took a shuttle from Crystal Dr to BWI, and the fastest route was surface streets through the national zoo. The subway is designed to take white-collar suburbanites to their jobs in the city and stops running at midnight Sunday-Thursday.

DC has the spring-summer climate of the south and the fall-winter climate of the north. Salary is good and improves with a security clearance, but not as good as NYC.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Traffic Reporter posted:

Are you seriously waiting for permission from the internet to make a goddamn decision for yourself?

Yeah, what is this, BFC?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Well I'll be damned! I guess the systems guys never noticed it? We've been cabling up the dedicated NIC for the last 300 G8's we got...

I will definitely look into it tomorrow once I get in the office.

Any downside to using it that way? We buy them all with the Advanced License so we get full remote console access, etc.

The way the shared NIC usually works is by putting a switch on the BMC and passing through it to the NIC:

code:
PORT<->SWITCH<->NIC
        ^   
        |   
        v   
       BMC  
On older systems, the onboard switch wasn't particularly reliable and could cause some issues; for example, on reboot the switch wouldn't initialize fast enough to pass through PXE boot info. Some also had issues if STP was enabled on the network. I haven't seen any issues with it recently, but it only costs us about ~$20/server to cable the dedicated NIC.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

We physically separate our iLO / DRAC connections on the OOB gear / subnet, so with this setup, I'm assuming the IP for iLO is going to be one in the same subnet the production IP on that NIC?

Usually the nicer BMCs can put it on a separate VLAN.

I really like the newer iDRACs with the SD card support. It's convenient to upload a ISO for a one-off without fiddling with adding it in your existing PXE process.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Moey posted:

I have never had a problem with the iDRAC 5, 6 and 7s. I have always been running a separate cable for it but will defiantly test out sharing the NIC tomorrow. For whatever reason I never though to use it on a different VLAN. I guess that means I'll have to now change some ports to trunk ports and tag the regular traffic (no big deal, but not a single coworker will understand how it is working).

You can run the regular traffic native/untagged on a trunk port, and just tag the BMC VLAN.

You are going to be exposing both VLANs to the BMC and the host system. If either host or BMC is compromised, it is trivial to gain access to the other VLAN. It does isolate the BMC from the other hosts on the VLAN.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Is there any truth to the statement "You'll have a hard time getting paid more than $50k without a BS."?

I mean I think I already know the answer, but I'm just checking in.

It depends on your location, skills, and experience. In SF with 5 years of experience and DevOps expertise? Absolutely not true. In a state with 10% unemployment with only general IT skills and 6 months of experience? There is some truth to it. It also depends on the organization.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So a helpdesk tech came to me recently to inform me that the new company standard laptops don't have an ethernet jack (which I realize will be more and more common) and that they have no way to image them without one. So now I have to figure out a way for us to be able to image these things, last I checked there wasnt a way to PXE boot over WiFi. Anyone have any suggestions?

iPXE on a USB drive.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

lampey posted:

I should have added some details, the whole problem is drawn out on a whiteboard. It is an exercise to understand tcp/ip networking. Its more about how they solve the different parts. I e this is a new computer, the network config shows ... a web browser returns a 403 error, ... ipconfig shows media disconnected. A lot of people got the source port (random high number) wrong and the destination mac will be the fw/ gateway. Technically the source port will change due to nat when going out, but it will get changed back on the return.

It's fine to get something wrong but a fundamental understanding is expected when you have a cs degree and cisco on your resume.

This is for an intern position? Is it paid?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

It's actually the part when I realized the root cause of my heart pains; and my mother admitted to my I have a 50/50 chance of dying when I am 30.

Go to an actual doctor.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Wang Global

Heh.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Is there an AS/400 for dummies book or something?

The checkbook is the most critical AS/400 book.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

You are or are going to be one of those bosses that thinks that if one of their minions is smiling, they aren't doing their jobs.

And you are or are going to be Michael Scott.

It's possible to have a relaxed, casual working environment without monkey cheese poo poo like "LOL the COO shoots you in the inverview with a nerf gun to see if your a bro"

culture fit

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

This is not the only definition of "fun."

Fair enough. I think we'd agree that you can have a fun work environment without having "fun."

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The problem is that fun is subjective and if you force it everything becomes miserable.

Yeah, in my mind that's the difference between fun and "fun."

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Docjowles posted:

I love that even on devices costing millions of dollars, all IT problems STILL boil down to "did you try turning it off and on again?"

I had a meeting with a storage vendor recently who figured out that they were able to radically reduce their drive failure rate by power cycling drives in the array after first reported failure. Apparently ~50% of the drives that 'fail' had no further problems after a power cycle.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Migrated from TWiki to Confluence a while ago; it's OK. Confluence's search is mediocre and the WYSIWYG-only editor is annoying, but it isn't bad overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Comradephate posted:

You can edit with markup as well - iirc confluence actually supports MW markup. For example, you can type "{code" and use tab to use the macro to have it build a code block for you, or you can type out "{code:title=some title|linenumbers=true|language=ruby|collapse=false}def somedumbrubycode{code}"

and it shakes out the same.

You can insert MW markup, but it is immediately converted into Confluence's internal format. You can't edit the actual markup of the document. The only way to interact with document is through the opaque WYSIWYG editor. An example of a recent markup-related annoyance: Start a numbered list and type {code}. Note that it adds an extra blank line below and above. To Atlassian's credit, the editor is fine most of the time and it's not a huge issue, but I prefer being able to see the actual structure when the editor fails.

• Locked thread