Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I'm on episode 17 now and... is it me or has Elizabeth's hair been occasionally changing color?

I thought I noticed it several times throughout game but it's become really noticeable ever since her little wardrobe shift. It also appears to be happening more often too. It might be a lighting thing or a graphics thing but...

Forgive me if this has been pointed out already.

Edit: insert page 45 sniper emoticon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
You could tell me that Booker is an alternate Comstock and Elizabeth is an alternate timeline Lady Comstock who then goes back in time to become her own mother (from completely different timelines of course) and it really wouldn't surprise me.

Or that Booker is Andrew Ryan or some insane loving crossover. Or hell, Booker IS Elizabeth and one is the quantum twin of the other. Or everyone is everyone else so in the end there is only one character and the descendant is the Hacker from System Shock.

I know part of the spoiler of the truth and can't wait to see how it's explained.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Fire Storm posted:

HYPOTHESIS.

Comstock is Mick Foley who let the Mankind persona take control of him and then did this whole Columbia thing and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Also pretty sure Robert Lutece is voiced by Gideon Emery AKA Balthier and that's pretty cool.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Fire Storm posted:

You could tell me that Booker is an alternate Comstock and Elizabeth is an alternate timeline Lady Comstock who then goes back in time to become her own mother (from completely different timelines of course) and it really wouldn't surprise me.

Or that Booker is Andrew Ryan or some insane loving crossover. Or hell, Booker IS Elizabeth and one is the quantum twin of the other. Or everyone is everyone else so in the end there is only one character and the descendant is the Hacker from System Shock.

I know part of the spoiler of the truth and can't wait to see how it's explained.

All You Quantum Zombies: The Game?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pidmon posted:

All You Quantum Zombies: The Game?

This is what a real stable time loop looks like.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Guess who was just recording an update only to notice they hadn't been recording 80% of it and then guess who tried to load a previous chapter only to realize that for some reason prior to today, the last "save" the game kept for the previous chapter is from January and not, you know, last loving month when I played these areas.

I do apologize for the lovely update schedule because I really love this LP and I'm glad people enjoy it but god drat has every recording session been a miserable experience on my end. I haven't been able to record the past 6 updates without SOMETHING giving me an error, breaking or requiring me to re-record it.

I'm going to try again tomorrow when I'm in a less agitated mood but I feel bad going a month per update when I could probably do better but never the less I just wanted to vent a little as well as update y'all on what's going on: After I replay a couple of hours of content thanks to the worst save/chapter system in a 2013 video game(:geno:), I'll have an update out tomorrow evening.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Take all the time you need, friend.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Sundowner posted:

Guess who was just recording an update only to notice they hadn't been recording 80% of it and then guess who tried to load a previous chapter only to realize that for some reason prior to today, the last "save" the game kept for the previous chapter is from January and not, you know, last loving month when I played these areas.

I do apologize for the lovely update schedule because I really love this LP and I'm glad people enjoy it but god drat has every recording session been a miserable experience on my end. I haven't been able to record the past 6 updates without SOMETHING giving me an error, breaking or requiring me to re-record it.

I'm going to try again tomorrow when I'm in a less agitated mood but I feel bad going a month per update when I could probably do better but never the less I just wanted to vent a little as well as update y'all on what's going on: After I replay a couple of hours of content thanks to the worst save/chapter system in a 2013 video game(:geno:), I'll have an update out tomorrow evening.

Thanks for going the extra mile. We're all enjoying the LP.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jenner posted:

Also pretty sure Robert Lutece is voiced by Gideon Emery AKA Balthier and that's pretty cool.

Robert Lutece is voiced by an actor called Oliver Vaquer. Rosalind is, of course, Jennifer Hale. She uses an identical voice for the female Sylvari in Guild Wars 2 which is a bit of a weird experience if you've been playing a lot of Infinite and then skip games.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Take your time, mate. :) The LP is awesome and you're awesome for being so patient with it. Being patient with you is the least we can do. Being able to marathon it all in one sitting in the future will be worth it. (I am following along now, but I rewatch LPs I like, too.)

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Been lurking this for a little while now, and I just wanted to thank you for doing such a great job and being generally awesome. I tried watching an LP of it once before, but for some reason it didn't really keep my attention, though yours definitely has.

Anyway, I'd been meaning to draw a thing for this LP as a thank you, but it looks like you could use it right now as opposed to whenever I get off my rear end and doodle it, so I went and drew it just now.

Thanks again for being a great person, and take your time. We can wait. :)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Been lurking this for a little while now, and I just wanted to thank you for doing such a great job and being generally awesome. I tried watching an LP of it once before, but for some reason it didn't really keep my attention, though yours definitely has.

Anyway, I'd been meaning to draw a thing for this LP as a thank you, but it looks like you could use it right now as opposed to whenever I get off my rear end and doodle it, so I went and drew it just now.

This picture brings back fond memories of the Teen Tians cartoon. I approve.

Anyway, take your time Sundowner.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Thanks everyone for understanding. I actually flipped to auto-pilot and sped ran back to where I was and still managed to arrive relatively the same as before the saves got all screwy, so no weird disparity between my inventory and such. It's too late to do commentary tonight but it'll be done and up tomorrow for sure and because this new "build" I'm using (the one Fedule said I should use plus some personal tweaks), the combat is crazy fun again so I may be more inclined to record a couple more updates tomorrow.

yokaiy posted:

This is awesome, thank you for that!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Robert Lutece is voiced by an actor called Oliver Vaquer. Rosalind is, of course, Jennifer Hale. She uses an identical voice for the female Sylvari in Guild Wars 2 which is a bit of a weird experience if you've been playing a lot of Infinite and then skip games.

Ah, I was just guessing by ear and not actually looking anything up. Is the Father actually voiced by Mick Foley at least? Or is it just some guy doing a really convincing Mankind impression? (Because it is uncanny. :eek:)

Sundowner posted:

Everything is being difficult!

Thanks for making this LP Sundowner, I'll stick with you. :3:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

As promised.

This is a short update simply because I ended it where it felt right to do so given what comes next. I have a full update recorded since making this one, so the next update won't be a month from now.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 28, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Could some kind soul give us a quick recap of what we know thus far? It's been 8 months since the beginning of this LP and I don't really remember everything that transpired :o:

Also, good to see you back Sundowner.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Wow. Stuff is getting crazy. Great to see another update. :)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I am urged to both hug you for persevering through your travails and shake my fist that you ended on a cliffhanger.

I shall compromise by saying, "Welcome back." :)

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Ah, my fix of some B:I :)
Thanks a lot for this video, Sundowner. It's always nice. The Siren's theme is just as creepy as I remember !

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Good to see you back! The game is looking as beautiful as ever.

The Chinese on the boxes doesn't seem to make much sense, and some of it is flipped (note the reversed "Fragile" stamp on the topmost box). The flipped one reads, literally, "bottom cow tea," while the other reads "twenty dog". It's probably just for flavor.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hirayuki posted:

The flipped one reads, literally, "bottom cow tea," while the other reads "twenty dog".

Twenty-dog is my new favorite number.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

Twenty-dog is my new favorite number.
I reckon bottom-cow tea has cow-bottom tea beat by a mile.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

Good to see you back! The game is looking as beautiful as ever.

The Chinese on the boxes doesn't seem to make much sense, and some of it is flipped (note the reversed "Fragile" stamp on the topmost box). The flipped one reads, literally, "bottom cow tea," while the other reads "twenty dog". It's probably just for flavor.

The second character is not "cow", it is "noon", the three characters mean "afternoon tea".

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mkwong98 posted:

The second character is not "cow", it is "noon", the three characters mean "afternoon tea".
That makes a lot more sense than bottom cow tea.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

mkwong98 posted:

Ah, yes! I looked at that drat thing a few times thinking it might have been a different character. The flipping really did a number on my brain there. Thanks for correcting me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yesss, yesss, charge all of the motherfuckers :unsmigghh:

Here's how the insanity breaks down.

The Charge "boost" upgrade adds an explosion when you hit someone with Charge. So far so upgrady. Except here's the thing. Charge counts as melee damage.

A bunch of things happen when you hit someone with Charge. They get the basic damage from Charge. Then they get the explosion damage (as does everyone nearby). And now they get some extra damage over time from Burning Halo (or electricity).

If they somehow survive all this, they're now ready to eat a shotgun blast to the face at double damage. Fulfilling this eventuality will, due to Overkill, also cause any enemies nearby to take a chunk of damage and get electrocuted (this is why I like Burning Halo, since you can mix and match fire and shock).

On top of all of that, every time you kill someone you have a 40% chance of getting a 25% Salt refill. That's not bad!

Oh, wait, I forgot to mention that the Charge Shield Upgrade adds 2.5 seconds of straight-up invincibility when you Charge, and starts your shields recharging instantly at the start, so you're guaranteed to have some survivability when you come out of your charge and everyone is being electrocuted and on fire. Not that you'll need those shields, because in 2.5 seconds you'll have killed someone, probably got a Salt boost, and be charging again.

It now takes seconds to clear most rooms. Have fun!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I'll swap around Burning Halo and Electric Punch in the coming updates seeing as I don't need to do anything special to change gear.

Oh good news, I have two updates recorded and this new build has kicked a ton of life in to playing the game again, so shout out to Fedule for reminding me how bonkers it is.

Also bottom cow tea is the greatest thing I've ever heard, twenty-dog out of twenty-dog for that translation.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Wow, that little segment gave me serious ME3 Multi Vanguard flashbacks. Charge and punch everything, let God sort out the corpses (mine included :downs:).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

StrifeHira posted:

Wow, that little segment gave me serious ME3 Multi Vanguard flashbacks. Charge and punch everything, let God sort out the corpses (mine included :downs:).

ME3 did many things poorly but they absolutely perfected the Vanguard playstyle :black101:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 29, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, if they made Mass Effect: Vanguard I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat :allears:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh so that's where Songbird was. I wonder how long he's been just hanging down there waiting for Booker to get to the house and pull the lever.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It's back! :D

One thing I've loved about Infinite is how the decay of the game world takes place over the course of the game, rather than already being in a sorry state when you arrive. That really sets it apart from the previous games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I don't want to sound like a dork, but the next sequence terrified me psychologically. From this point to the finale is all top shelf stuff.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

second-hand smegma posted:

I don't want to sound like a dork, but the next sequence terrified me psychologically. From this point to the finale is all top shelf stuff.

Bull Rush + suicide Possession upgrade + Spare the Rod = constant melee massacres. It vastly improved that section.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

second-hand smegma posted:

Yeah, Bioshock Infinite kind of follows an arc. It starts out on a high point, the first explorations into the rifts/alternate realities are fascinating, then with the Red/Resistance reality it bottoms out, getting hamhanded for a while with bad writing and out-of-character acting. After a while they get back on track and end pretty strong, although some people still have bones of contention with elements of the ending. But we'll get to that when we get to it.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
The next section is my favourite part of the game, as in - the one contained within the next update alone, not the whole last section of the game. It's as System Shocky as BioShock Infinite gets in terms of atmosphere.

That said, I don't have a problem with the last half of the game - it's just continuing it's escalation from the seeds we've seen planted thus far.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I love this game, and this is certainly a fine LP. I'm glad you stuck to it, Sundowner.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Sundowner posted:

It's as System Shocky as BioShock Infinite gets in terms of atmosphere.
:stare: Oh. Oh dear.

We're getting into the psychological horror bit now, are we?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I didn't really like the next couple of parts personally. My favorite part, or at least my favorite part of the later segments of the game, comes afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Penakoto posted:

I didn't really like the next couple of parts personally. My favorite part, or at least my favorite part of the later segments of the game, comes afterwards.

Your avatar is cool and Valkyrie Profile is pretty boss.

• Locked thread