Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Here ya go folks. My favourite section in the game. This update is low on commentary because I don't want to spoil that atmosphere. Headphones recommended. Hope you enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This section is terrific to see the first time, because despite all the WTFness up to this point, this tops it. It's amazing.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well... That was... Huh.

This is an interesting twist.

I keep thinking BUT THE FUTURE REFUSED TO BE CHANGED.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Holy poo poo.

That was well worth the wait. Please don't keep us hanging too long Sundowner!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Holy poo poo.

That was well worth the wait. Please don't keep us hanging too long Sundowner!

Got an update awaiting commentary and I reckon I'll finish recording the game this weekend, so it should be smooth sailing from here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I usually play that section as stealthy as possible, because those masked things will mob you and they can be very threatenting and even kill you. That is, if you're not using a completely broken gear combination.

Sundowner, you still have not used the Hand Cannon once. You might have picked it up once in Finktown, but you dropped it without ever firing it.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I dunno. The game does not employ much subtlety but I think this level brings ramming the plot down the player's throat to a whole new level. "Hey Booker I thought you'd like to wander around my collection of voxophones and creepy-rear end masks for a while. Anyway have a plot ticket. Bye!"

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sundowner, you still have not used the Hand Cannon once. You might have picked it up once in Finktown, but you dropped it without ever firing it.

Yeah I know, I still have to use a few weapons and powers but then there's a whole bonus game mode where I can show all of that off post-main game completion with far greater ease. If I find the "Paddywhacker" Hand Cannon between now and the end, I'll screw around with it and maybe actually give the Heater a chance, too. I haven't really used the Peppermill, RPG or the red-universe Volley Gun too much either but there are plenty of those to find in the upcoming areas.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 1, 2014

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
... WOW. YEAH, they really got the atmosphere right for this. I swear, just got a moment as the tears were closing, I could hear the tailings of SHODAN's broken speech.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Get your murdering pants on, Booker. There's murdering to be done. And it involves skyhooks to the face.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
....holy poo poo.

More please!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The atmosphere in there is palpable.

You know what, though? I did not for one second fall for their trick in the Warden's office. I flipped that switch, and I just knew they had spawned a guy behind me. So I turned around and perfectly headshot him like the calculated badass I am.

I completely forgot Boys of Silence don't take damage, technically. :downs:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I like this section. Not just for the atmosphere, but for the whole setup for the section. In the past, when Booker and Elizabeth would enter a tear to a parallel world, it was to try and get to a point in time where an event didn't happen (Chang's death, for instance) in order to possibly change the present. Here, we see a different path: what happens when Booker actually fails at protecting Elizabeth from Comstock, and sweet merciful Christ does it go badly. :stare:

That said, I can see why some people would consider this a stealth section. The Boys of Silence (something that feels like it just walked out of a Silent Hill game) are one reason. The other reason being the limited ammo drops from dead enemies, and the weapons that are lying around mostly being the pistol and the Hand Cannon/revolver, thus forcing you to conserve ammo if you are using other weapons like the Shotgun or the Carbine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is also a place where Burning Halo gets an advantage over Electrocute; it deals damage over time rather than stun, so you can use one Charge and kill like four people without firing a bullet. Good times. Good times.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, yes, this was my favorite section of the game too. It just drips with atmosphere, and I mostly stealthed it just so combat wouldn't break the creepy silence. See, now what happens when a broken ideology is followed to its cold and bitter conclusion... when one looks for sin hard enough, pretty soon sin is all you can see.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It has to be a bit of a kick in the teeth to get to that point in time and realize that your hero didn't come to rescue you because you yourself prevented them from doing so because they'd fail except now they won't maybe because you've sent them back with something they could only have gotten because you went through all those horrible, horrible years.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think the implication is that Songbird would have either killed you during your trek over the bridge , or in one of the main rooms of Comstock's estate. She sent you back on the backside of the operating theater where apparently Songbird can't get to you.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I feel like this section actually embodies pretty well my issue with B:I as a whole in that it is really style over substance. There are some neat visuals, some interesting ideas, some mood setting. But it really lacks depth or impact because it is just plopped down in the middle of the narrative. It really drives home the agonizingly forced audio logs, and then the fact that the audio log can't just imply torture, no you need to have it be in a torture room even though that seems at odds with everything else. (Torture is sickeningly a rather thought out process; the crazies would just beat you up or kill you).

This also shows the end goal of Comstock, with Columbia as an ark, and the Sodom below burning. Which... ok I guess he was REALLY pissed that the US Gov't decided to denounce his attacking China? His machinations come off as mustache twirling evil and insane. Which is really really boring. Why does Comstock want to see the world burn? Best answer is because if he did not then the plot would not work. Not because of any actual character reasons. Many things in B:I boil down to plot reasons instead of character reasons.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

JossiRossi posted:

Why does Comstock want to see the world burn?
The answer to this question is spoilers. -Everything- in this game comes down to spoilers.

Put me down as one of the folks that tried their best to ghost this section - I preferred the hand cannon/carbine combo and for some odd reason had a really hard drat time getting through otherwise. But then I didn't break the game over my knee with the gears and what not.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

citybeatnik posted:

The answer to this question is spoilers. -Everything- in this game comes down to spoilers.

The answer also happens to be unsatisfying and full of itself so take it as you will.

edit: Fair enough! Sorry about that. vvv

Afraid of Audio fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 2, 2014

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Afraid of Audio posted:

The answer also happens to be unsatisfying and full of itself so take it as you will.

T'would be cool if we left posts like this until after everyone's had a chance to make their own mind up about it (whatever it maybe at any given point) instead of going forward with preconceived notions. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that it's not fair to others who are still on board with the game to be told it might not be worth their time.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

JossiRossi posted:

Why does Comstock want to see the world burn?

The talk of spoilers makes me thing the game has some kind of explanation for this, so maybe I'll hear that and start agreeing that it's dumb. For now, having only ever seen what Sundowner's shown us, they did such a good job selling Comstock as a cult leader that it makes perfect sense to me. I mean, we live in a world where Aum Shinrikyo decided that they needed to nerve-gas the Tokyo subway because religion. People managed to get "must cleanse world with mass murder" out of Buddhism--against that background I have a pretty easy time believing a bunch of Bible-literalist Premillenial Christians would take a power like the Luteces gave Columbia and use it to burn away sin and sinners to hasten the return of Christ or whatever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That part with the film projector and a distorted Johann Pachelbel playing in the background literally terrified me. I don't know, videogames I guess. Psychology is weird.

edit; for all of B:I's problems, the last third is brilliant.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

second-hand smegma posted:

That part with the film projector and a distorted Johann Pachelbel playing in the background literally terrified me. I don't know, videogames I guess. Psychology is weird.

I'd say, because if you played up to that point, you probably have a certain attachment to Elizabeth, so losing her, knowing that a least 6 months have passed (And it's fairly predictable it was a lot more), hearing her scream in pain, and then that speech from her which spells out how broken she seems to be is rather creepy.
And yeah, echoing how a good chunk of the third part is the highspot of the game, way above the drag that is the revolution part.
Oh, and this sequence gets terrifying on hard because the inmates hit hard, and you have even less ammo. And I packed a sniper rifle and shotgun at that time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It wasn't p

It wasn't Pachelbel. It was a highly distorted Mozart's Requiem. The same music that plays in Lady Comstock's memorial.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Gaah that silent dude popping up behind you was a very well executed jump scare. Well done designers.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I was disappointed that the battle music that plays only in this area wasn't on the soundtrack, but I suppose it's just the regular songs with a little bit of scraping added.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I thought that it was eerily fitting that the inmates, whatever they were, didn't drop anything. When Sundowner looted their corpses I felt the item slots coming up empty, empty, empty mirrored their apparently being empty husks, driving home the point perfectly.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Pretty much everything is empty, yes. Very fitting as well.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Neruz posted:

Gaah that silent dude popping up behind you was a very well executed jump scare. Well done designers.
I watched this ep at about 3 this morning with the lights off and headphones on. God :drat: it was good jump scare.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I was expecting it because they did it in both the earlier Bioshocks. Still an effective startle scare.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Pidmon posted:

I was expecting it because they did it in both the earlier Bioshocks. Still an effective startle scare.

A scare done well and at a good place. Using a unit which can't either hurt you or be hurt by you whilst simultaneously posing a threat is pretty well done.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Neruz posted:

Jesus that got me too. Atmosphere was creepy enough but drat that was a jump scare that worked. :ohdear:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MA-Horus posted:

It wasn't p

It wasn't Pachelbel. It was a highly distorted Mozart's Requiem. The same music that plays in Lady Comstock's memorial.

I beg to differ.

Iceclaw posted:

I'd say, because if you played up to that point, you probably have a certain attachment to Elizabeth, so losing her, knowing that a least 6 months have passed (And it's fairly predictable it was a lot more), hearing her scream in pain, and then that speech from her which spells out how broken she seems to be is rather creepy.

You're right on the money, here.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 2, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

I beg to differ.

You're right on the money, here.

He's right, that's Pachelbel's greatest hit.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Akratic Method posted:

For now, having only ever seen what Sundowner's shown us, they did such a good job selling Comstock as a cult leader that it makes perfect sense to me.
Makes sense to me. I saw it more as the cult thinks the world below is full of sin -> Hey, fire worked in Sodom!

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

AJ_Impy posted:

only hit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

Absoutely, sorry I thought you were talking about the part at the beginning, "Her Loving Embrace". That warped Requiem really stuck out as creeeeepy as gently caress for me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Always love that skit. :allears:

I quite like some of his other stuff: He was pretty prolific. His organ works have some resemblance to J. S. Bach.

But I digress. It's interesting how the classical music heard here bookends the modern stuff that Fink's brother got from the rifts, given that we're in the future relative to Booker's start point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Fire Storm posted:

Makes sense to me. I saw it more as the cult thinks the world below is full of sin -> Hey, fire worked in Sodom!

Actually, could someone explain this to me? I am both not a religious person and not Christian/Catholic/etc, so a lot of the preaching about Sodom and such goes right over my head. I've sort of learned to smile and nod when religion comes up in media like this, but in this case I feel like I'm missing a little too much at this point to just let it go. Am I missing a lot here, or is smiling and nodding actually good enough?

I really like this section so far, the visual effects are really something. Misheard "Boys of Silence" as "Voice of Silence" during the video, and now I can't decide which is cooler. The webbing attached to President-heads when they come after you is also a really neat touch, makes it feel like they're being controlled by something like puppets.

At first I thought it was another Elizabeth instead of ours who was doing the preaching in the voxophones, which mighta been cool. Seeing two Elizabeths clash against each other to see who had more willpower woulda been neat, I think. It's getting hard to keep track, though. Old Elizabeth is our Elizabeth, but now she's sending us back in time to go find another version of our Elizabeth so that she won't become the Old Elizabeth? It makes me wonder how Elizabeth would act in a timeline where we didn't meet her.

• Locked thread