Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I've heard some things, but I won't mention anything specific, since I don't want to be definitively spoiled on this game. What I want to ask though... Is this game a bit softer with it's science fiction than the last game? Like, not just more futuristic by comparison, but actually kind of... Fantastical?

Yes or no answers to this are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I hope there is only one Handyman fight.

This series has a very poor track record with boss fights, instead sticking almost entirely to elite enemies...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Are you counting the Big Daddies and Sisters as boss fights? Cause those were loving awesome. If not then there has only been one boss fight in the entire series.

The Big Daddy and Big Sister fights eventually got repetitive... like, by the 8th one for each. I want to say Sinlair was also a boss fight, but thinking back, he was more like an Elite Alpha series.

Veyrall posted:

Doesn't that hold true for Splicers as well? I seem to remember using a Rosie as cover at one point in time.

Yup! A Big daddy will try to kill anything that attacks it. That even includes turrets that shoot wide and hit them instead of you.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Shoeless posted:

I do think it's odd how SUDDENLY HANDYMAN and then we're thrown around. Lots of screaming and whatnot. Elizabeth brings in a blimp for us to avoid dying from, and then helps us onto the dock. On the dock, no one acts like anything weird is happening. I mean we didn't really go very far from where we were when the Handyman appeared, I'd think the security guards would be on alert and as has been said, looking for Booker who one would think has had pictures of his likeness put up anywhere and everywhere so people know to look for him. But no, people act like it's nothing. Just strikes me as odd.

Possible explanation; we fell 3 stories and were thrown about 20 odd feet, and Handymen aren't exactly human and thus don't have the sense to watch to make sure Booker falls through the clouds?

Nobody else noticing you can be justified the same way no one on the beach noticed you; they don't really care. Some dude on a blimp? probably an irishman doing maintenance.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
The game also plays really weirdly if Elizabeth hears a rational, fair argument, and still decides that she can't trust Booker. I mean, how many blimps can Booker be shot down from before it gets silly? I'd think at most 2, and even then they would have to be pretty far from each other?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Finally got caught up. So, one thing stood out to me a few videos back, when Booker first met Elizabeth: What happened to her right little finger?

...I would think she just got a paper cut or something?

Or is this joke paranoia speculation? I'm dumb with jokes.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

BioMe posted:

That makes no sense. Why would you refer to your own child as your husband's bastard (eg. his child) if A: she's actually an illegitimate child, B: she's not his bastard.

Posession can mean multiple things. If I have 4 orphans, who are bastards, they would still be my bastards, even though they're not spawned from myself.

Also, Lady Comstock is kind of a bitch. She might have just hated Elizabeth, regardless of any kind of family setup.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Pidmon posted:

So why on earth would Red Daisy remember or care about a deal that Blue Daisy made to get a weapons shipment in exchange for giving back the First Lady? Why is Booker doing anything more with the gunsmith, other than pity for his half-dead state?

There may be no deal, but Daisy high-jacked our blimp before, she can probably get another/already has one.

If Blue Daisy was willing to trade guns for an airship, Red Daisy would probably be willing to do the same with significantly more confusion and suspicion.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

You know, it just occurred to me, where the gently caress is the Songbird? He's supposed to be Elizabeth's protector right? We've seen him only once though. He tore up the entire tower trying to catch you, and then he just vanished. Or did he actually die when he fell into the bay and got damaged? I wouldn't of thought that before but since we're going dimension hopping now it wouldn't of mattered if he died in dimension 1.

spoilerss

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think I'm starting to dislike Elizabeth as a result of the creators trying to make me like Elizabeth. Nice as the song was, Booker just killed two (probably) starving muggers, and has up to this point killed a high school yearbook's worth of people. Guitar solo into disney princess scene seems kind of crazy. Like, actual straitjacket insane.

Also, Sundowner, I had a question about the plot and I was wondering if there was a way I could message you to ask?
I don't trust the internet to not spoil me on thing B while I'm trying to figure out thing A.

EDIT: VV Thank you, sent the question.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 13, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

if you take the good path then through Tenenbaum's gifts you get A) way more ADAM than you would have gotten from the evil path, and B) a bunch of plasmids and tonics that as far as I'm aware you have no means of acquiring if you take the evil path.

Actually, you get more by being evil. I think something like 40 points for every trio of sisters? 7 trios in a fair playthrough, so 280 ADAM total. I don't remember if that's a lot... And looking up how many of the bastards there are, you can apparently find 3 more as a glitch. Because there are no rewards for saving the last 3, the only reason not to harvest the extras is avoiding the bad end.

In the next game, it was optimal to be good until you got the improved harvest tonic, then be evil. Being pure evil is still more efficient than being good, and even with the improved harvest, being good is still the worst of the "three" options.

Also, the plasmid you get from her isn't that good.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 5, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I don't like Elizabeth's outfit.

She looks like her mother, and it is obvious and intentional...

I think a stealthier game where you play as Elizabeth, and booker stays in America might be cool.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I would think the child is either Fink's son or his nephew. I remember the kid being there when Fink died...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't see why people are moaning that the Vox have turned evil or are gunning down innocent civilians, anyone with half a mind could tell this was going to happen, Daisy only cared about bringing down the Founders, all of them, women and children included, its a real Us vs Them type scenario and I expected nothing less from her when she forced me to help her, Booker doesn't give a poo poo, and neither did I. :colbert:

They aren't moaning because they're surprised, they're moaning because it is badly written.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

In other news, wasn't Fink talking about Songbird? He mentions that the melding of man and machine was the girl's guardian, it might have been a reference to Big Daddies, but what if he was actually talking about his plan for Songbird? Elizabeth's guardian?

I think Songbird is just a more awesome Handyman.

Caustic Soda posted:

Which hasn't even happened ITTL, because it's still 1912.

...In The Time Line? Is that what that means?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I really like the Charge plasmid. Whenever a shoot-y game gives me the option to use melee, regardless of if it is viable, I will absolutely play the assassin and just gut people. I don't care if I have to hide behind a corner and cut before they turn to the right, It is too fun to just barbarian crush somebody.

Also, I like how you can apparently put on the right clothes, and you suddenly have 7 foot arms, charged with elextricity and with enoguh strength to cut open a Handyman like a can opener.

Also, also, the Handymen remind me of DC comics Cyborg, specifically the one from Flashpoint. The last scene where his heart is ripped open is awesome, and I like the Handymen for looking like they do.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Does the equipment that boosts melee range in any way affect the Charge tonic?

Just going by the video, the Charge tonic seems to function similar to the off-rail jump (basically flies you over, no real "physics" happen), maybe even similar code, so if there is something which boosts that specifically, it might work.

Otherwise I doubt it. I haven't played the game though so there's hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Neruz posted:

That would make sense, given their unique position the best way to ensure that at least one Booker succeeds would be to send all Bookers. Presumably they only need Booker to succeed once for whatever it is they're planning.

That seems like a really inefficient use of their time...

• Locked thread