Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The best way I can wrap my head around this game is that it's a more freeform version of The Ship or Bloody Good Time, with a lot more to do and a greater potential for chaos.

Basically I'm pumped for this game and will be following the thread. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Pity the clown, they know not what they say or do. :smith:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Archenteron posted:

There was some sort of zombie/alien survival server that was running for some time, but I don't see it with a brief glance at the servers list right now.

I was in a server like that during one of my first tries earlier this week. When I was poking around as an Engineer, there were guns everywhere just for the taking. A few minutes into the round, some explosions went off and the power and lights went out for most of the station. Had a leg blown off; most I could do was hobble and crowbar doors open so others could run from the zombies and aliens.

All I managed to do was see a zombie, shoot the ground with a revolver, and then fall over. Folks tried to save me, but it was kinda hopeless. The chaos and carnage was amazing to watch though, once I died.

One thing I remember clearly is someone saying "TURN OFF YOUR LIGHTS YOU SUICIDAL FUCKS" over the radio. :allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Ahh, Quartermaster makes a lot more sense now. I can get into that job when I feel like making big numbers.

Ditto on the subtitles as well, they're a great addition and really lend the video a stronger sense of focus.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

MagicBoots posted:

Pretty quiet round but things certainly pick up ~2/3 of the way through :stare:.

Seriously, I thought it was going to be a video with two short rounds, but then it kept rolling and it happened. :magical:

This game's still amazing, the things that can happen are beautiful.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

FractionMan posted:

This part amused me so much I had to document it.

It's just perfect.

I can't do my job because I was crushed by a vending machine: Space Station 13

I had the stupidest grin on my face when that happened; Space Station 13's wonderful.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm terribly disappointed you didn't read your objectives and make off with some clown gear when you had the chance.

Considering the station was in a more doomed state than usual, I'd give him a pass.

I'm just amazed he survived two run-ins with that securidrone. :magical:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
He's the captain we deserve, but not the one we're ready for.

The scuffle beside QM's, the crew's opinion of their captain's condition, and Beth's plan were particularly delightful. :allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

You murdered poor Bethany Parks! This is unforgivable.

More seriously, that was a wonderful changeling round. Monster Mashes and Traitor Tumbles are my favorite things to watch as AI. A sad thing that the AI outed you, though.

A captain shall do what he can to keep the vessel afloat, including defending himself. She knew what was going to happen when she decided to hunt down her captain. :colbert:

Seriously though, are there any games that are basically all Changeling all the time that aren't Prototype? Something with a stronger focus on stealth, like what you see in Space Station 13. I only disregard Prototype because I've played both already.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Messiah, maybe?

Looked this up and found it on GOG, also looked up some gameplay videos. It looks about right, yeah! Just gotta get over how off-putting the cherub is. :stare:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
:psyduck: The AI is that easy to get to as a traitor miner? I had a round as a Syndicate miner where I had to retrieve a neural something-or-other from the AI. Seeing how much trouble you have to go through to actually get its brain, I'm sort of glad I didn't try and decided to blow stuff up.

I also didn't even think to have all my charges in my containers and then hack them. I was doing it one by one by hand. When the belt filled up, instead of just saying the container was full, the chatlog said that I stuck a charge onto the belt. The results were predictable.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Iretep posted:

Cant you just upload a law that states the AI has to give his neural thingy?

I'd be really surprised if the AI can just give up its core; wouldn't it be easier to upload a law where it doesn't interfere, defend itself, or report what's happening when a specific person's in the AI's chamber?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Dat fukken pig was great and all, but I was dying when the cluwne was cloned, the wizard started cluwning people nearby, and he yells "gently caress NOT AGAIN"

I love Space Station 13.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I find the best way to figure out if you'd like playing an AI is by playing Borg. As a Borg, you're subject to the Laws, but you have more freedom and less responsibility as compared to the station AI. You're also expendable as a Borg, which an AI isn't (without staff braining someone and going through the work of replacing the AI's brain). If following the Laws as a Borg doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't try AI. But if you like it, and especially have fun when certain additions are made to the Laws, you should try being an AI!

It's probably still a good idea to have the wiki for AIs open, though, for those AI-specific duties. Like embezzling station funds straight to someone's personal account. :v:

edit:

Five posted:

AI is probably my favorite role and I love it when my laws get changed and I have to think of creative ways to either play impossible rules or work my way through rules made by jerks. I cant wait until I am on my good computer again and I can actually play SS13 again :)

I still remember the round I was in a while back with the Space Station Deathmatch law. :allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
All the games I've played, whenever I hear explosions and they're not reported over the radio, I just assume it's Toxins doing what Toxins does. :v:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The only way to lose Space Station 13 is to be a no-fun grognard who strives for peak efficiency in every job and tells other peope how to do their job. These are the people you test the Mechanic's death-machine du jour with.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The way the round ended is pretty magical despite the failed wizarding, I'm so glad the music kicked in when it did. :allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

quote:

OOC: LunarGaze: Razage please tell me you recorded that

Oh boy, did he. :allears:

Wizards are why I preemptively set my attack target to the head. I managed to brain a wizard when I rounded a corner and got surprised by him, and knocked him down with the first swing. I guess his spells were on cooldown because he let me continue to wail on him until his Soulguard triggered.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The rubber-ducky squeak was timed just right to squeak along with the final note of the accompanied music. :allears:

edit: Dear god the CHAOS DUNK at the end. :thurman:

tlarn fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 17, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
That was an absolutely wonderful round, goddamn.

Do people get a popup or a special line in their chatlog that denotes that they've been implanted by a spy, or are people expected to notice and play as would be expected of a mindslave?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
It'd be cool if the blob could summon autonomous golem-ish blob creatures that wander off to either attack people or create a new blob tile for you to expand and attack from. Maybe make it so you have to create and use up a thickened blob tile in order to make a blob creature to mitigate spamming it whenever you have the points for it.

edit: More ideas. Make it so blob creatures move freely and more quickly through the blob itself, since they are made of the same stuff. Making these blob creatures require a thickened blob tile would require the blob player to either actively consolidate a position with thickened tiles or wait for a safe place to create thickened tiles on its own, thus reinforcing the RTS elements of the player mode!

tlarn fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 31, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
You also couldn't attack diagonally; whenever Razage tried, the game would spam the message that your target has to be in a cardinal direction from a blob tile.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Bah gawd, his grandmother felt that kick! :bahgawd:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I can't do my job because an invisible dragon's chasing me: LP Space Station 13.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The first order of business in Space Station Dorf would be sealing off Chemistry.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The Changeling Captain round was my favorite update for the longest time. I think this update's my new favorite. :allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Be a construction borg and spend the whole round building the ultimate clubhouse for borgs, then slowly introduce heat and atmosphere to make it livable for everyone else and then kill them!

edit: if you do this, do yourself a favor and get your 7.5k charge battery switched out for a 15k battery, they're lying around everywhere and your RCD will burn through your battery fast.

In fact you should get your battery switched out for a bigger one no matter what job you take, it's kinda great to not have to charge up every few minutes of high activity.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 14, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
3D-print a cluwne mask.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
This is a derail that teaches you why the engine can become an angry, vengeful god smiting every living thing on the station, to be fair.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Yivgev posted:

I just started watching these yesterday and now I want to play this. Look what you did.

Remember to set a bible down on the floor and fart on top of it.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Nalesh posted:

Most of your sessions end with "Then I blow up" :v:

This is par for the course with all SS13 sessions, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I still think it's hilarious to imagine someone happily working on a new bot while everyone on their headset is screaming about a black hole, I dunno about y'all

• Locked thread