Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I'm making a mod for a nation modelled on everything bad about the USSR

It has Chekists, unarmed cannon fodder, and unarmored riflemen who die in droves.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/1oe682dbuxi71qu/sovirus1.rar

Planned features:
- Machineguns with crew who die and get replaced at the end of the battle assuming the mindless gun wasn't destroyed
- Summoned Tanks that drive over enemies
- A pretender god of Lenin in a throne carried by slaves
- A pretender god of an Ettin with the heads of Trotsky and Stalin

Suggestions for units and unit balance welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
This is my crappy take on Great War artillery, but I don't know how to give it Fires from Afar

http://www.dropbox.com/s/rsa87x75d9le2ag/sovirus.rar

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 20, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Rotekian posted:

#startitem "itemname" works provided the named item isn't custom. Custom items need to be included in a separate mod that is loaded first.

Here is an example item mod and example pretender with startitem

Thanks for this, it worked nicely. It's a shame it doesn't all work in one mod. Also I made a machinegun http://www.dropbox.com/s/odxw9gyx311lwlo/sovirus2.rar

Does anyone have experience with making sound effects for Dom 4? The SW and AL files SoX churns out don't seem to work for me (that's the program I saw recommended when I googled around)

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Use Audacity, works fine, you can export as an AL file, it's just a specific kind of WAV.

One thing about Dom sound affects is that how many of them are firing pretty-much-at-once affects the tone and volume, so test things a lot before you put them in your mod package or they might come out really gratingly hosed up.

Do you know if the bit rate and frequency need to be 16 and 22k or does it work with anything? And would the syntax for using the sound in say an item be #sound "./sovirus/rifle.sw"

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I don't know what I'm doing wrong! This is the process I'm doing with Audacity
- Import the raw sound from another game's files
- Export selection the bit I want as a wav
- Load the wav and trim it
- Set the project sample rate in the lower left status to 22k
- Set the format in the dropdown box of the track to 16 bit
- Export with file type "other uncompressed files" and .sw on the end
- Put it in the same folder as the targas which all work
- Give the weapon #sound "/sovirus/rifle.sw"

But in the game no sound plays!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
How does protection work for multiple heads? Does each head get its own value or is it averaged?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Igneusindividuals (this one's good because it's gender neutral)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
What units should I use as EA Ulm with W9N4 bless vs EA Pangaea with W9 bless? I'm getting my butt kicked here

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I told you it was a bad idea to attack me two turns before you did.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

If I let you get any bigger I'd have done even worse though, you had 3 times as many provinces as me by that point and you hadn't even finished eating Fomoria

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Fur Ball

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Maybe there should be some kind of population transfer mechanic so that Lebensraum taken in war can be repopulated with good Aryan stock.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Neruz posted:

A spell that summons an immobile bunker that spawns endless waves of poorly armed militia in combat.

Thanks, I added this, had some teething issues with "endless waves" though:

So I made it summon a big batch at the start instead.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/rorqedob3qb8yz4/sovirus%201.3.rar

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

What's the actual list of units and commanders? National spells?

I haven't done any real spells yet (maybe the bunker could be E2 or something?) but the units are: a militia spearman, militia rifleman, regular rifleman, regular rifleman with a +1 morale standard, stealthy marksman with MM3 and forest survival, cap only sacred rifleman, and a machinegun

I've not really balanced it yet, what do you think the resource costs should be?

Vanilla crossbow is
3 res
11 damage
2 att
35 range
1/2 fire rate

Vanilla arbalast is
4 res
15 damage
1 att
45 range
1/3 fire rate

Based on those I figured these would be reasonable

Pistol
4 res
10 damage
1 att
25 range
1 fire rate

Rifle
8 res
14 damage
3 att
30 range
1 fire rate

Machinegun
40 res (seems to be doubled to 80 because the MG team is size 4)
10 damage
0 att
35 range
10 fire rate

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Speleothing posted:

You'll want to use the #ressize command to fix that mg problem. I'd also think about whether you want them to be trampled by chariots and troglodytes or just elephants.

Finally, when they get into melee, half the squad will stop firing - what's their other weapon going to be? I assume they're mostly unarmored?

I'd say:
Spear militia
Rifle militia + fist (undisciplined)
Rifle soldier + dagger + helmet
Pistol + spear + helmet + leather (standard)
Cap only rifle + ??? + helmet + leather
MG + dagger + dagger + helmet

The officers and militias have 4 head and 4 body protection and the better quality infantry have 12 head and 6 body protection

The officers have swords and the riflemen have bayonets which are identical to spears but 3 instead of 4 length and 2 instead of 3 damage

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
My tank sprite is blurrier than all the others for some reason

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I made a submachinegunner and an undead version (1D1B, Alteration 3, 6 gems, 6++ summons)

http://www.dropbox.com/s/qzr5p9vf52jexd6/sovirus1.4.rar

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Are there any good uses for Death Gems if I only have D1 mages (and only in one of my provinces)? A couple of Onyx Sorceresses have managed to find more magic sites than every other mage I own combined :psyduck:

Empower one to D2 and build Horror Helms for thugs?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Benly posted:

It looks like one of the changes between versions 2 and 3 broke it, I think. When I load the Sovirus mods and no others, the game crashes when I try to create a new game on 3 or 4. This does not happen on version 2.

Maybe writing over the previous version changed the order the game loads the mods? Try reactivating them.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I was going to make Lenin undead but I figure that would be more appropriate for a Kim Il-sung-esque Eternal Leader

http://www.dropbox.com/s/hhr4ffqopa0wbsc/sovirus1.5.rar

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Give it 6 shields

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
He's a prisoner of his own device

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy posted:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! This is the process I'm doing with Audacity
- Import the raw sound from another game's files
- Export selection the bit I want as a wav
- Load the wav and trim it
- Set the project sample rate in the lower left status to 22k
- Set the format in the dropdown box of the track to 16 bit
- Export with file type "other uncompressed files" and .sw on the end
- Put it in the same folder as the targas which all work
- Give the weapon #sound "/sovirus/rifle.sw"

But in the game no sound plays!

In case anyone is interested, the command is actually #sample rather than #sound

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I've used a bunch of sounds from Close Combat 3 and I added flamethrowers

http://www.dropbox.com/s/b83i4lipc54x2p6/sovirus1.6.rar

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

He's based on MA Man's Ettin King

http://www.dropbox.com/s/96wqdo414n4uoz2/sovirus1.7.rar

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 28, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

These should probably have fear.

I tried to put a fear effect on the flamethower but I don't think it works

code:
#newweapon 1253
#name "Terror Weapon"
#dmg 3
#dt_fear
#nostr
#att 0
#nratt 1
#end

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I have Sloth of Bears which summon several 19 str bears, but animals didn't siege well? Or was it only in the defensive? I always forget, I remember there was some debate about animals and sieges.

Mindless units count as 1/10 for defence.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Here's an update for the Underhome mod to keep things current with the latest patch. Mostly, line troops have been streamlined because I found them too expensive for what they did (elites have mostly been left alone), so they're generally cheaper gold-wise but still more expensive than regular humans. Pretenders have undergone minor adjustment. Right now it's not recommended to use the old events mod with it, though it should work, as I'm planning on revamping that separately with the new mod commands in mind.

Underhome is a mod that contains three "Underhome" nations, one for each era. The nation is themed as a nation of dwarves loosely based on Dwarf Fortress and borrowing elements of stereotypical fantasy dwarves from other sources as well. I'm shooting for a power level roughly on par with mid to upper tier vanilla Dominions 4 nations.

The MA nation has a sacred that looks like it has an axe but it has dual short swords

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I think I'm done with this mod, can't think of anything cool to add. Now I just have to get good at the unmodded game so I can balance it.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/pur7guv5lpliqmd/sovirus1.9.rar

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Neruz posted:

You can't have a soviet russia nation without T-54s :colbert:

Also lots of cheap but super inaccurate artillery.

I have a tank and artillery although it's meant to be more WW2 era than Cold War (NBC suited infantry excepted)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Someone get this hothead outta here

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Tier 2 Throne:

Then he killed a third of my army himself with Rain of Stones and my Blood Vengeance only did like 10 damage to him :(

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
What're good tactics for killing Bogus and company? He just took one of my cap circle provinces

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Around Giants Self Reliance

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Do units actually die of old age or do they just pick up afflictions like disease and the disease kills them?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I think this has been my first major battle in a Dom 4 multiplayer game (not counting the one in NoobsRUsmk2 because half my Ulm army didn't arrive after Pangaea assassinated my prophet)

I put my decoy unit too far forwards and it wasn't the rearmost by the start of Caelum's turn :(

code:
 210x 5 = 1050
 10 x 5 =   50
 13 x33 =  429
C'tis losses 1529

125x 1 =  125
 16 x46 =  736
 15 x10 =  150
 10 x 1 =   10
 10 x95 =  950
Caelum losses 1971

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 10, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bacchante posted:

Yeah, probably. I've had, -ahem-, issues with reminders.

Although in this case it was almost all of my provinces being taken at once via simultaneous stealth armies, and I'm still super-slow at expansion, so I'm sure that the result would've been much the same...

Stealth armies?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

Stealthy leader + stealthy units. Always a nasty little surprise if you can pull it off.

I was asking whose stealth armies, I didn't use any :confused:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Are the messages automated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Corbeau posted:

If it had all come crashing down, my probably-futile plan was to convince C'tis to ally against Fomoria once I was no longer threatening a throne win. I doubt he'd have done it; I think Enjoy's plan was a throne win of his own, which would have meant invading my core provinces to take the 2-pointer in the middle of my territory.

The other water throne was only 3 provinces away from me.

• Locked thread