Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
So I'm going to be playing a LA game as Ulm soon and I was thinking of going for a Dormant Fountain of Blood with Dom 7, O3,P3,H1,G3,Mis2,M1 and F1,D3,B5 as it's paths.
B5 for forging blood boosters, D3 for the vampire summoning and F1 so that with a burning skull Arch Devil's can be summoned.

I was just wondering if this was a good idea for a pretender or if there is a better one I'm overlooking and also if anybody had any general advice for playing LA Ulm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

psudonym55 posted:

So I'm going to be playing a LA game as Ulm soon and I was thinking of going for a Dormant Fountain of Blood with Dom 7, O3,P3,H1,G3,Mis2,M1 and F1,D3,B5 as it's paths.
B5 for forging blood boosters, D3 for the vampire summoning and F1 so that with a burning skull Arch Devil's can be summoned.

I was just wondering if this was a good idea for a pretender or if there is a better one I'm overlooking and also if anybody had any general advice for playing LA Ulm.

You don't need to pay for the F1. If you must get archdevils take an F1 smith, empower him to F2 and the empower him in blood. Generally though as Ulm you just poo poo out vampires forever until it's time to horror everyone.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Always empower into paths for a pretender

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

psudonym55 posted:

Drop some magic paths for more magic scales. There is no such thing as enough magic scale for LA Ulm.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Yeah you really don't need f1. Arch devils aren't that big of a deal and they're certainly not worth paying design points for. Once you're that high up in blood you're probably spending all your slaves on vampire lords and horrors already which are way better.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I've used a bunch of sounds from Close Combat 3 and I added flamethrowers

http://www.dropbox.com/s/b83i4lipc54x2p6/sovirus1.6.rar

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Enjoy posted:

I've used a bunch of sounds from Close Combat 3 and I added flamethrowers

http://www.dropbox.com/s/b83i4lipc54x2p6/sovirus1.6.rar

I feel as though they should be vulnerable to fire rather than flame-resistant.

And they should explode on death.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I just love the lovely undiscovered magic sites that just randomly disease any unit that walks through it. Turn 2 my Titan of the Underworld and prophet scout gets diseased walking through a cave, and gets another affliction every other turn after that well played.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Harrower posted:

I just love the lovely undiscovered magic sites that just randomly disease any unit that walks through it. Turn 2 my Titan of the Underworld and prophet scout gets diseased walking through a cave, and gets another affliction every other turn after that well played.

I'm not sure if you heard or not, but Dominions4 is a fun and good videogam.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In my last game there was a disease site in the province where I built my first fort. So fun.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I love it when my pretender expands into cloud mages that I had no way of seeing :argh:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrower posted:

Boing posted:

I love it when my pretender expands into cloud mages that I had no way of seeing :argh:

My earth snake expander has had both of these things happen in test games

And didn't give a gently caress in either circumstance

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

He's based on MA Man's Ettin King

http://www.dropbox.com/s/96wqdo414n4uoz2/sovirus1.7.rar

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 28, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

These should probably have fear.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
My pretender had a title of Beverage. The gently caress is that all about?

What are my options for moving armies latish game? Astral seems to be the obvious one, and of course the gate stone which is an astral construction item. Do the other magic paths have anything like that? I assume air has a cloud trapeze that works with a full army? Maybe not? Earth probably doesn't have some sweet tunneling spell either but it probably should.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

These should probably have fear.

I tried to put a fear effect on the flamethower but I don't think it works

code:
#newweapon 1253
#name "Terror Weapon"
#dmg 3
#dt_fear
#nostr
#att 0
#nratt 1
#end

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Faery Trod and Stygian Paths are the only other bulk movement spells that spring to mind.

The flying ship can move quite a lot of things.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^edit: Beaten :(

Harrower posted:

My pretender had a title of Beverage. The gently caress is that all about?

What are my options for moving armies latish game? Astral seems to be the obvious one, and of course the gate stone which is an astral construction item. Do the other magic paths have anything like that? I assume air has a cloud trapeze that works with a full army? Maybe not? Earth probably doesn't have some sweet tunneling spell either but it probably should.

There is also a nature spell that lets you move your whole army from one forested province into another. And there's also a death spell (stygian paths?).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Harrower posted:

PG and prophet shouldn't be in the same provinces for a number of reasons, this is one of them.

e: Cloud Trapeze is commander-only for the teleport question.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Harrower posted:

This happens maybe 1/20 to 25 games. It really sucks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone refresh my memory, what are the magic options against forts? Crumble spell (e5), wall shaker item (a3), what else?
Because drat are the sieges long in the Late Era of big castles. It makes me go zzZzzZz.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone refresh my memory, what are the magic options against forts? Crumble spell (e5), wall shaker item (a3), what else?
Because drat are the sieges long in the Late Era of big castles. It makes me go zzZzzZz.

Gate Cleaver (Cons 6, E3), is +50 siege.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
great eagles (but not hawks) and cave grubs

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Large piles of low res recruited garbage

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Siege strength is based on strength squared/100 so anything with high strength works well and higher strength results in disproportionately more siege strength.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Oh and if you grab a cave check for pale ones. 10g 4res indie ones are perfect siege chaff.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have Sloth of Bears which summon several 19 str bears, but animals didn't siege well? Or was it only in the defensive? I always forget, I remember there was some debate about animals and sieges.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There is no innate bonus or penalty for being an animal in a siege.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I have Sloth of Bears which summon several 19 str bears, but animals didn't siege well? Or was it only in the defensive? I always forget, I remember there was some debate about animals and sieges.

Mindless units count as 1/10 for defence.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

jBrereton posted:

PG and prophet shouldn't be in the same provinces for a number of reasons, this is one of them.

e: Cloud Trapeze is commander-only for the teleport question.

I was doing the dom 10 Titan of the underworld strategy of leave him and the prophet on a low dom enemy captial early game so they lose by like turn 10. Usually they are a province or two apart but I used the prophet to scout a nasty looking throne then the titan to assassinate the commanders before heading out. :rip:

Thanks everyone for the fast travel information!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've been testing out hydras for LA Pythium and I have to say they're actually not that bad. They're surprisingly good against indies, and watching them regenerate 18 HP a turn is hilarious. The tricky part is positioning them.
Random Trivia: They have :siren:18:siren: eyes!

amuayse fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 1, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Turin Turambar posted:

Apparently there is a N spell "Vermin Feast" that destroys the supply inside a fort.

Is it any good? :iiam:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Speleothing posted:

Apparently there is a N spell "Vermin Feast" that destroys the supply inside a fort.

Is it any good? :iiam:

All of it? Because that would instantly put them into starvation. I didn't know that actually existed but it sounds like it could be pretty drat useful in certain scenarios.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What's people experience with the Horror Seed, both sending it or being the victim?

I found an explanation of the basics here but without concrete data of how many turns need to put one parasite on average nor the average number of turns you have to wait for the parasite to grow in an horror, so it's hard to tell how good it is.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

All of it? Because that would instantly put them into starvation. I didn't know that actually existed but it sounds like it could be pretty drat useful in certain scenarios.

It doesn't get all of it but certainly affects defenders supply. I've had it used on me before when I was camping down in a fort as Ashdod. Made me lose the fort due to the loss in strength.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Has anyone gotten much use out of the Solar Eagle? I like the idea and theme of it but I feel like even with built-in awe, it just isn't tough enough to be a good expander and not really worth its high cost.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Here's an update for the Underhome mod to keep things current with the latest patch. Mostly, line troops have been streamlined because I found them too expensive for what they did (elites have mostly been left alone), so they're generally cheaper gold-wise but still more expensive than regular humans. Pretenders have undergone minor adjustment. Right now it's not recommended to use the old events mod with it, though it should work, as I'm planning on revamping that separately with the new mod commands in mind.

Underhome is a mod that contains three "Underhome" nations, one for each era. The nation is themed as a nation of dwarves loosely based on Dwarf Fortress and borrowing elements of stereotypical fantasy dwarves from other sources as well. I'm shooting for a power level roughly on par with mid to upper tier vanilla Dominions 4 nations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Here's an update for the Underhome mod to keep things current with the latest patch. Mostly, line troops have been streamlined because I found them too expensive for what they did (elites have mostly been left alone), so they're generally cheaper gold-wise but still more expensive than regular humans. Pretenders have undergone minor adjustment. Right now it's not recommended to use the old events mod with it, though it should work, as I'm planning on revamping that separately with the new mod commands in mind.

Underhome is a mod that contains three "Underhome" nations, one for each era. The nation is themed as a nation of dwarves loosely based on Dwarf Fortress and borrowing elements of stereotypical fantasy dwarves from other sources as well. I'm shooting for a power level roughly on par with mid to upper tier vanilla Dominions 4 nations.

The MA nation has a sacred that looks like it has an axe but it has dual short swords

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Enjoy posted:

The MA nation has a sacred that looks like it has an axe but it has dual short swords

That's weird, and there are like 3 other versions of that same unit but only that one got messed up somehow. It's fixed now and in fact in a few minutes I will fix the link with the new version, thanks.

Edit: and should be done now

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
The best part of your MA Underhome sacreds is they don't even need a bless to be insane murder machines.

• Locked thread