Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

multijoe posted:

And in one of the next he declines sleeping with an attractive highschooler not because he could get busted, but because it's wrong. He was never a paragon of virtue, but he wasn't THE GOLDEN GOD either.

But by the end of that very episode, the other guys say "dude she's 18, go for it!" ...and he did. Until the point of the high school girl dumping him to get back with her boyfriend, who Dee was getting wasted enough to be in the right frame of mind to statutory rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Just watched with a few friends and we all had some good laughs. More than S12 so far.

Then watched "Mac Day" right after... Mac and Dennis are wearing the same shirts in season 9. Weirdly crazy coincidence, aside from Dennis' sleevelessness.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

multijoe posted:

so they can do Chardee Macdennis 3

I need this so bad. Chardeemacfrankenden, yes puzzles.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

FELD1 posted:

I think that maybe Mac's increased violence toward Dee this season is part of his misguided attempt to fit in more with his new, gay image. He believes that because he's gay, he should have a complete aversion toward women (even more severe than his usual bog-standard misogyny).

I read thinking it's either that. Or now that he's come out, he's feeling straight and has to hide it so they don't make fun of him and he's suppressing attraction... Attraction to Dee would cause him the most shame of all.

Now that I write it, that's probably too far, even for Mac. You're probably right.

He's probably on steroids too, he definitely feels more actually violent.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

talktapes posted:

Hoo boy, this one had some good moments but overall felt Dolph was underutilized. No Crime Stinks callbacks?

When Dolph showed up, I thought the video was going to be their re-imagining of Thundergunn, and eventually turn him into a nose that can smell crim in the future... I was a little disappointed when they did not reference Crime Stinks.

I also felt like Charlie's movie confusion should've been Mac, as he's notoriously bad at following plots and Charlie is all about movies.

Still a fun episode, will watch again.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Dennis vanishing into the crowd to abandon Dee really got me. Then he did it again to Mac and it was just as beautiful.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Weaponized Autism posted:

That surprising scream by Cricket was the highlight of the episode for me

I'm not going to slap you around again!:colbert:

:smithfrog:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

This one gave me a few good laughs. Even right at the very end:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Weaponized Autism posted:

Great episode, it's the same guy on the bus as before right?

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure it is. I immediately recognized him and thought "holy poo poo, they brought him back!"

So good.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Ajaxify posted:

Did anyone else see Dennis's algorithm questions as a bit murdery/rapey?

Dennis killed Maureen and can now only be happy if he tricks the gang into committing murder.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

When you see those gazongas and that song starts playing, you know Jackie Denardo is on the case!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I now want an episode where Frank suddenly loves Pepe.

Froggie?

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

It's really unfortunate, he didn't know it was going to come off like that.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Has anyone pointed out that it's a real shame they chose to kill of Country Mac in such a definitive way?

Worth it for "RIP Country Mac."

Mac has already had another cousin on the show, who's to say Country Mac didn't have a twin or something.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Meat bomb.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Mac ate donuts in the confessional when asking for his friends to be smited

He had candy sticking out of his pockets!!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I hate to admit how hard I laughed at that line. Everyone else looking grim and thinking through the implications, Charlie just trying to figure it out then blurting it.

I am in the same boat. We all knew what they were talking about instantly and of course, Charlie just stumbling into it thinking it's an actual riddle he solved.

Based on the episodes removed it's very much "racist caricatures" are the cause. Not racist issues or other actions, even in that scene it had all of them freaking out and the arbiter just staring at them unamused.

PizzaProwler posted:

Charlie says the N-word in the very first episode of the show.

Oh-nooo he was just quoting a black friend of his, really!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I'm actually pretty sure there's two episode where they do that, Recycles Their Trash and another late season episode I'm struggling to remember.

The Gang Beats Boggs: Ladies Reboot

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

season 4 is mixed, there’s some really clever writing in there that’s honestly as good as anything else they’d done, but the script needed tightening, and the production was worse than it needed to be, even beyond the obvious issue caused by not being able to afford having the cast all together. One of the biggest issues I think was—with the show being an early experiment for Netflix’s original series—how the episodes didn’t have a cap on the runtime. That sort of freedom can be a benefit sometimes, but AD clearly benefited from having that tight structure. tons of things go on way longer than they needed to in season 4.

the season 4 recut is a lot better for the first few episodes, but then it somehow turns into an absolute mess that’s somehow even more difficult to follow than the original, and every episode has like five minutes of recaps shoved in

Season 3 is great, though its sad it got cut down

The season 4 recut is not worth it. Just go into the original knowing that it's basically replaying the same days over from different perspectives, all culminating into the final day (roughly).

There was a lot of negative feedback about the confusing timeline, but the recut tried to put everything in chronological order and ruins many of the punch lines and the narrator almost never stops talking.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Gorson posted:

I watched "America's Next Top Paddy's Billboard Model Contest" and realized that Frank has no motivation whatsoever to hold the competition other than he's twisted.

The billboard has already been put up, a male model was never going to be on it. The female models were already chosen.
He's not getting paid to do it.
He's not doing it to spite Dennis because he goes out on a "stud hunt" before allowing Dennis into the competition, and Mac is the one that convinces him to let Dennis in.
He's not interested in the women, he gives them to Mac.

The only explanation is he's doing it just to shame a bunch of male models.

I might need to rewatch it, but I always assumed that it started with no billboard (though Frank already had his idea) and the gang wanted to have their input. So They come up with the modeling idea, which they all support because "more busty babes." Frank sticks with the guys so he can make sure Dennis stays distracted (and has to do multiple embarrassing things), and while the gang isn't looking he has his billboard put up anyways.

Much like the pickle party episode where Frank shows Dennis the ropes of manipulating the crew so he just distracts 'em all while he does what he wants.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Vookatos posted:

I really like the running gag with them only having one cassette tape where they record all their insane poo poo.

Can't believe they recorded the pyramid scheme video over Mac's badass series though.

Every time they show the video and you get those leftover cuts is just comedy gold.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I like the McPoyle trial but I don't like how they effectively beat the lawyer. He should've been their white whale forever.

The Lawyer was a tale of hubris. It's not just prolonged contact, Carmen has been in it since Season 1 and is still a normal, good, person. She has had multiple interactions but decided to move on after seeing through Mac's poo poo and despite their best efforts to harass her, she maintains her course.

The Lawyer on the other hand, started taking cases pro-bono if the proprietor's of Paddy's Pub started showing up. He was actively seeking them out to destroy them by that point in the show, rather than just getting one over on them when they involved him.

*Edti: Not only that, he sided with the McPoyles... the one force in Philly that is worse than the gang. It was a terrible misguided decision.

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 24, 2022

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

i was more than a little disappointed that they teased talking about Glenn's (multiple) attempts to quit the show and then didn't actually talk about it. maybe they were too drunk and it was just absolute gibberish and couldn't be included, I guess

It sounded like they actually wanted to go into that on a later episode when they were all sober. That way they would be able to actually delve into those details properly.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

I think they pulled every episode where Dee did a racist caricature, I don't know if that includes her English butler though...

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Race used to be real, then we genocided the Neanderthals and Denisovans

They didn't fit the profile!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

i like the structure being introduced to the show. megan is basically taking what was already loose aspects of structure and formalizing it. it's a good move and helps keep things predictable.

not that this makes any kind of a difference at all but im not a big fan of the new table/chair setup. their studio is nice looking but the new table makes it look like a weird conference room at a tech company as opposed to a lounge for three cool guys to hang out in.

as for the show recap, is charlie breaking a bottle over the critic's head the only time we ever see a member of the gang physically strike anyone? i think charlie and dennis hit each other in the therapy episode but do they really ever hit anyone else?

It's like this jabroni doesn't even know Mac scored a point in a real karate match!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

The ripped-Mac arc was a comedy gold-mine, of course, but I have to admit the finale caught me totally off guard. The prison sequence where his dad laughed about the name and didn't stay to watch the dance then even Frank stood up and finally said "I get it" really struck a chord with me. I thought I was gonna roll my eyes at some weirdo performance but by the end I was wellin' up, and still do on rewatches. It's crazy what this man went through to make a statement and just threw it on the show... It really doesn't "fit" and yet, totally does. Either way it helps me love supporting this loving crazy show!

:69snypa:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Assuming you've seen The Mick? It blows every non-Sunny show the rest of the cast have done out of the water and it dies before it lives long enough to become a villain.

Agreed. I wish they had one more season, it was really ramping up.

It's a crime Jimmy hasn't made at least a cameo appearance in Sunny.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

No Dignity posted:

The gang are all vile cartoons of human beings that are funny to laugh at, trying to give pathos to the guy who came out to win a scratch card or the guy who spent a decade stalking and harassing a woman to the point she had a mental breakdown and relapsed into alcoholism feels like a mistake

Didn't she have a mental breakdown and relapse because he STOPPED protecting (stalking) her and she was actually just worthless at surviving without him? That and Frank started poisoning her...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

So I watched Fool's Paradise the other day. Despite the poor reception, I wanted to support Charlie Day, and man, what a cast in that thing. I can see why people were so disappointed that it wasn't nearly as funny as it ought to have been with such an insane cast, but it didn't actually seem like a comedy once I started watching it. It was far more of a drama with slightly comedic elements, and halfway through I dawned on my that Charlie was making a modern day Candide...which is something I'm personally interested in. The movie was far better than I expected because of the harsh criticism, and I agree that his character was the weakest link of the movie but I can't really hate on it!