Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Professor Funk posted:

Dennis using a polaroid camera was also perfect.

And referring to the men as his "selects." Never change, Dennis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

wallabilla posted:

Can you believe they are already in their 9th season? And going so strong!

Most comedies start drastically dropping in quality after 6 or 7 seasons, but not Sunny. I think last season might have been the best so far.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

poo poo if you want it to be a bicep you need more veins.

I shall use this crossbow to pierce my broken heart.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Bobfromsales posted:

Most comedies produce twice as many episodes in a year.

Really there's no established precedent for short seasons shows in their 9th or later seasons, Sunny is one of the oldest. Curb your Enthusiasm is the only one I can think of that is older and it was still excellent it's last season.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is the best comparison I can think of. Larry David can never not be funny. The only other comedies other than Curb and Seinfeld I can think of that stayed consistently funny for almost a decade were King of the Hill and the Simpsons, which is especially impressive considering most of their seasons were twice as long as an average Sunny season. Unfortunately, as we all know, KotH and the Simpsons eventually jumped the proverbial shark (KotH not as badly). I just don't see that happening with Sunny anytime soon. Sure, they have recycled a couple plots (The Gang Recycles Their Trash comes to mind), but when they do it, they are conscious of it and it's still great.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

nasboat posted:

I think you're reaching pretty far here to make a connection, outside of the fact that the guy who plays Huell was in the episode.

Other than Huell/Landslide, I can definitely see Walt being an homage to Walter White. The mustache makes it. I didn't even think of that while I was watching the episode. The other stuff is a stretch for sure, but it could be an homage for all we know. I really like the idea of the seasons now having arching themes. We had Fat Mac in season 7, the gang recycling their jokes in season 8, and now possibly paying homage/thumbing their nose at critically acclaimed TV shows in season 9.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think there was supposed to be any commentary, just the gang being complete lunatics making a mockery out of their own positions. This is Always Sunny, not South Park.

I didn't feel like there was a greater political agenda here, but if anything, I think they presented both sides of the argument in a way only It's Always Sunny can. There are nutjobs on both sides of the argument, and it's fitting the gang would be those people. And then there's Frank, who is a scumbag.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

This was easily one of the best episodes of the series, and possibly the best. I can't praise this show enough. I don't think any comedy does callbacks better than Sunny. I laughed so hard at Frank's egg, and I love the fact that the one black friend the gang has is Dennis and Dee's crack and gun dealer.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Benagain posted:

That wasn't their crack dealer, that was one of the guys Frank met under the bridge.

I could have sworn Cutty was their crack dealer, but you're right. Now I feel like a racist.

soapgish posted:

The subtext of the episode was fabulously penned and executed, no doubt about it, but while a few bits were quite humorous it just wasn't a very funny episode for me. And that's fine as it excelled in other capacities though this season thus far feels like they're going for clever before funny.

I'll agree with you on the clever part, but I thought it was very funny. I don't think I stopped laughing throughout the episode.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Groban loves his ladies to pop.

ShadyNasty posted:

The best part is, we still have four episodes including "Flowers for Charlie", "The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6" and "The Gang Squashes Their Beefs" (with Gail the Snail!) to go, all of which sound like absolute goldmines as well. This season has been amazing.

The last four episodes of this season can be complete poo poo, and I would still rank this as my favorite season. Judging from those episode titles, it's not going to happen, but still. They have totally outdone themselves this year. I know we Sunny fans expect this show to be snubbed for Emmy awards every year, and it doesn't even annoy me anymore, but it deserves some modicum of recognition. "The Gang Saves the Day" was pure brilliance.

I can't even choose what my favorite fantasy was, they were all fantastic. I think Charlie's was the best, Mac's was the most absurd (in a good way), Dee's was the funniest, Dennis' was the most disturbing, and Frank... was Frank. Their fantasies were perfect encapsulations of their souls, and this was a very fitting 100th episode.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Not the strongest episode of the season, but that isn't saying much. It still had me laughing throughout almost the entire half hour.

Religious stuttering army carnies!

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I actually thought the opposite of a lot of you. I though this season had been kind of disappointing so far but this episode was just fantastic

Man, I know it is a matter of subjectivity, but I just don't see how this season can be viewed, in any way, from any perspective, or in any universe as disappointing. In my opinion, every episode this season, except for maybe "Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare", is right up there with my personal favorites like "Mac and Charlie Die," "The Gang Hits the Road" and "The Nightman Cometh". Then again, I didn't care much for season 7 and thought the show was dying like so many comedies before it, and people called me crazy at the time. Although, upon a second viewing, I liked that season a little more. So, it really is subjective, but I'm just curious as to why you are disappointed in this season.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

My favorite line was "Dennis is Spider-man."

The way Charlie delivers the "Hoo-ly poo poo. Dennis is Spiderman" makes it. I don't think I acknowledged that line on first viewing, but when I re-watched the episode it made me bust up. And you know, in that moment, that Charlie believed it.

Also, bravo on the thread title.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Finally my friends, at long last, the day has come! We have the means, the understanding, the technology! ... To allow spydars to talk with cats!

*meow*

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

TUS posted:

Last season and this season have been on some insanely high level of quality thats blowing my mind. I love it!

Seriously, it's mind-blowing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, starting with "The Gang Dines Out" last season until now, every episode has been on par, if not better than their best stuff. The only exception, in my opinion, is "Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare", but even that episode was pretty great. It's mastery, and I would put this season up against the best seasons of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Louie, which are my favorite comedies.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Condiv posted:

when mac says "cat keeps getting hurt" when they're watching that cartoon, i lose it. just absolutely perfect line delivery

We're trying to watch cat and mouse cartoons to find out how kitty cats deal with their rat issues.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

Shitfaced, subtitled Charlie lacing a clean double off the wall was glorious

Yes, it was glorious. I laughed way too hard at the subtitles. I wonder if Charlie Day was actually drunk for those scenes. I would imagine he was, but if he wasn't, he sold the poo poo out of it.

Also, Wade Boggs' and Boss Hogg's ghosts were great.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

pentyne posted:

That was what Dee and Dennis are going to do in 10-20 years to get rid of Frank.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't entirely sure. I was hoping it was some obscure reference I didn't get or something, because it just didn't land for me. Other than that, between Dennis being psychotic and Frank being... well, psychotic, it was a good episode overall. Frank's flashbacks were great. But so far, I just feel like this season is missing something. It just isn't living up to the greatness that was season 9.

"It's okay Froggy, I'll keep you moist."

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Okay, Sunny's back, bitches. I was a bit unimpressed by the first three episodes this season, especially compared to last season. But this... was a masterwork. This had literally everything that makes this show great.

I can't help but wonder if this episode was some kind of homage to, or at least somewhat inspired by, True Detective. Specifically, the last six minutes of the episode "Who Goes There." Obviously, this episode wasn't filmed in one long, unbroken tracking shot, but the similarities are there. Plus, Dennis kept repeating "Alright, alright, alright", clearly referencing Matthew McConaughey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

Nothing against the directors and editors who made it happen, since that is actually a fine technical achievement. But the whole, 'They're doing a Birdman/True Detective homage' doesn't exactly ring true, since that's been a thing for almost 70 years.

I still think it's an homage, of sorts, to True Detective and McConaughey because of Dennis' repeated use of the phrase "alright, alright, alright." It still makes me laugh every time he does that, even after the third rewatch. Yes, that's how great this episode is, I've watched it three times already.