Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

victorious posted:

I think Frank makes him eat lemons at one point, but that's not really in the same league.

That was good. Cricket doesn't have scurvy, does he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Seph posted:

The dick-jerking algorithm joke from Silicon Valley is better executed and way more clever than this cream pie stuff.

That was also the only funny episode of the first season.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

FELD1 posted:

I'll say it every time he's mentioned, but Steve Harvey is a goddamn national treasure.

It definitely felt like Key was channeling him a little bit in the episode, and it was great. Also, Dennis going into the fetal position at the end was hilarious.

Well, first off, Steve Harvey is a horrible comedian, and horrible person. Second, of course Key was channeling him. Steve Harvey is the current host of Family Feud.

The episode was mediocre. Everything felt extra rushed, and there were only a couple jokes.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was excited for this episode the whole season (I absolutely love Family Feud), but it just fell super flat for me. Didn't help that it was only 20 minutes again. And Dennis having a freak-out about not being the best was already covered enough in the group dating episode, I felt.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel the episode might have ended better if they ended up having Charlie play fast money at the end for whatever reason, but loving up the last answer leaving them with 199 or something. They showed that kind of thing in the CharDee MacDennis episode, where he couldn't answer 'Denis is rear end in a top hat. Y Charlee hat?' even though he wrote that question himself.

I was looking for the same. Charlie gets everything right with normal answers, then the last one is something where the obvious answer is cottage cheese and he says something about rats instead.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Brawnfire posted:

So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0 <this song came on the radio at work

all I could think of was

I'm Dennis! ... Reynolds. I have a bar. I own a bar. It's my bar, and I wanted to invite you to it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Their time will come.

Well, not the husband. He died.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

drunken officeparty posted:

New video trailer kind of thing but for one specific episode, in an 80s vhs commercial style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l45eYIrloyQ

I need them to make a series of movies in this style. Need.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Bust Rodd posted:

I think physical humor is basically the second easiest kind of humor to get wrong(the first being irreverance i.e. 9/11 rape jokes and whatever) these can uproarious when nailed but when they fall flat they just die a slow awkward death.

Caitlin Olson and to a much lesser extent Greg have proven themselves to be absolute masters of physical comedy. I can't think of a show with funnier stunts then Dee headbutting the car or dryheaving or when they are crackheads.

I think Artemis can be super funny in Teeny Tiny Doses. Her sound guy stint in Frank's little beauties or as Desert Rose are great and "I spin trance, hip-hop and trip-hop at the Arby's downtown... under DJ Beef 'n' Chedda" is like top 3 lines in the show, but that long drawn out sequence doesn't have any of the oomph of Dee's car door or Wolf hair sketch for me, but I understand high brow silliness being funny to people so it's just my opinion. I also don't think the waitress is funny in any scene, she is the worst part of the show and literally never gets a laugh out of me. She would never have made it past season 5 without being Charlie Day's wife.

Ninja Edit: Like, take Rickety Cricket for example. He's a greedy miserable bastard because the gang made him that way, but even while being a grimy, homeless, burn victim crack-whore he is still always funny and brings this great energy to every scene. Charlie's reaction to her in this most recent episode is pretty much how i hear her as well. "Your friend is a dick so i hosed his dad, ha ha ha!" like what? that isn't funny its just sad, and the scene is even written with everyone being like "Uh, wtf did you think would happen exactly?"

It's a good thing The Waitress doesn't have online to read this wrong opinion.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
That wasn't a good episode, but had a couple real good laughs.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Literally the second episode of the show, and one of the pre-show episodes was about Charlie having sex.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I need the Sunny guys to film 100+ hours of first person Frank to watch with a virtual reality headset. Like a more deranged Being John Malkovich.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Someone called it. Someone very much called it.

It helps that the alternative would have been that the show would be over, so duh?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
It bothers me a lot more than it should that they don't hold onto the pipes instead of treading water.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

I didn't realize that was actually a line from the show, but holy poo poo.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Bust Rodd posted:

It has actually always bothered me that while Dee makes the most realistic dry heave on TV, Charlie and Dennis's vomit scenes look so unbelievably fake that I am immediately accosted by it and both jokes just fall flat.

I don't know. Dennis's eyes made his puke seem pretty reasonable.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe they will just have an actual cat in an episode at some point.

Special Agent Jack Bauer was born in a pool of gasoline.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

ChesterJT posted:

The Gang Hosts a Cat Wedding

Dennis has Agent Jack Bauer marry cat Maureen so he doesnt have to pay alimony anymore.

This is a plan Dennis would have.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

mojo1701a posted:

:vince:

Gotta admit, that's brilliant.

You know someone is going to try to jam Dennis up, and he hates getting jammed up.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
How could you possibly not like this episode? Like... What's there to not like? They parodied an entire '70s musical movie in a 20 minute episode.

I actually don't understand how anybody could complain about it. None of the jokes were particularly funny? They weren't supposed to be. None of the songs were particularly well written? Again, not supposed to be. It was the cast having fun doing something weird with their 12-year-old show. It was supposed to be ridiculous, and it was supposed to be weird. It was as much for them as it was us, where we have a good time watching them. The concept of the episode is what matters, and what the joke was. The content wasn't.

They executed it perfectly.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah it was supposed to be poo poo? That's ok then. I look forward to the episodes that are supposed to be good.

Clearly didn't say it's supposed to be bad. You should try to understand what a parody is. Then learn what this was a parody of. Your ignorance of it doesn't make it poo poo.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
My favorite part is that in Old Black Man's dream his name is still Old Black Man, despite how the gang tries to call him Old Man.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

TheBigAristotle posted:

Why is everyone being such a douche to people who didn't like the episode (or some other episode) that much? We're all Sunny fans here, or at least the vast majority of us.

I mean if you cited specific examples or something, sure. But this whole drop in to say "what a poo poo opinion" is lazy bullshit.

Part of my issue with you saying musicals are corny, especially when using that as a reason to dislike this episode. The reason it was funny is because they made it corny. They weren't making Les Mis. They were making a corny '70s musical. Your complaint was the goal, but you see it as a negative as if they weren't trying to.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Dead Precedents posted:

I like that Old Black Man knows Charlie's mom is a whore who banged Frank.

I assumed the gang has yelled about it at some point.

He calls himself Old Black Man, though. Like he has dream-Z pseudo-correct Dee and Frank.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Who the hell has ever said FT is the best comedy ever?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Like. It's a struggle to even find anybody who has watched FT, how could you think it's widely regarded as the best. That's a funnier joke than most on the show.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The episode felt like it cut before anything actually ended except for Mac's thing. It's really strange that we're supposed to let Dennis's keys get stolen without him caring. He realizes what happens and then... he just goes home? Plus with it being a 17 minute episode, it really felt like he should have at least done something to attack back. Which is only a contributing factor to them bringing Abby in for another episode. There's no way Dennis lets that go.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Uh, the only thing Dennis does is care about stuff. That's like, his thing. He's neurotic. Like... that's all he has ever done in the whole series is care about himself. So it's totally cool he just lets this person walk away without doing anything? It's clearly a bizarre thing to let happen for the character.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

i am the bird posted:

I don't think this episode was that funny but I didn't hate watching it!

The "laugh track is for dummies to know when to laugh" jokes were kind of lame, though. How old is that commentary?

That was kind of the point. They were making fun of people who still say that or haven't yet discovered it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Maybe we can understand that what the character does is terrible while not also conflating things to make a point? I mean, rape has a definition. It's actually funny how clear they've been about it. It's like you didn't actually get the entire implication bit.

This is really stupid.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Cojawfee posted:

There's some dry heaving in an episode of The Mick.

Seinfeld is really good. Like Kwyindig says, there are times when you wonder "Why don't they just use *modern device*?" Then you remember that the show is from the 90s and that thing either didn't exist or most people didn't have them. If you're the type of sperg, like the people in this thread, who says "THIS JOKE HAS BEEN USED BEFORE, THEREFORE IT IS NOT FUNNY IN THIS INSTANCE," you might not like it. There's a lot of things that were hilarious on Seinfeld that have since been used to death in other shows. Jokes, overall plots, and twists. If you can look past that and take the show at face value, it's still really good. Don't knock Seinfeld just because it was so good that it got copied.

Seinfeld, and also Curb, are incredible because of Larry David's ability to put a shaggy dog together. Nobody does it better. A gum wrapper can be the plot of a 30-minute episode, and it will always come together with relevance. His humor has never been about the particular jokes.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Holy poo poo, Fat Mac was that many years ago? Where has the time gone...

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Dennis's thing about eating dogs is something I've been saying for years. Like, it was so similar it almost feels stolen from me.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

tarlibone posted:

That's actually the idea behind Gatorade's invention. From what I've been reading lately, though, it doesn't really work that well, because even though you're bringing a bunch in, you're still flushing a ton of them out through sweat and urination. Specifically, I was able to find that studies were showing that marathon runners weren't benefiting from drinking more Gatorade-like drinks than they were from drinking more water, and water intoxication (at non-lethal levels, usually) remains a common issue at marathons. I guess if God wanted us to run 26 miles, he wouldn't have invented cars.

That said, I haven't heard of anyone dying of water intoxication when they were hydrating with sports drinks filled with electrolytes. And that might just be because most water intoxication deaths are the result of water drinking contests, so sports drinks aren't in the data set to begin with.

... and now all I can think about is how electrolytes are what plants crave.

I thought the idea behind Gatorade's invention was they collected a bunch of sweat and turned it into a drink because they figured people needed that stuff.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The best part of the episode is that it perfectly explains why these episode-based documentaries are absolute poo poo.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

King Vidiot posted:

That was a great episode, but I could see where if somebody had never seen or heard of Making a Murderer a lot of it would just be lost on them. I was laughing my rear end off at Charlie as Brendan Dassey, "Yeah..." "Yeah?" "No.", and then the reveal that he was on ketamine the whole time.

I'm not sure it matters, actually. It's the same as any other episode-based docuseries. Anything on TruTV for instance is the same. Does that garbage still exist, actually?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Mordja posted:

I've never seen a minute of MaM but I got the idea right away and it was hilarious.

Yea, I'm really not sure what could have been missed?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

ChesterJT posted:

Never saw the show and laughed a lot this episode but some of the stuff was insanely referential like Charlie's whole interview. That fell completely flat for me.

It can be referencing something, but that doesn't mean there's something more to the joke than what they showed.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

drunken officeparty posted:

It was literally a joke about MAM directly. As in, you are missing the joke if you haven't seen it. Especially the part where they do the "yeah" thing on the phone.

That's not what the joke is. That's what he's parodying. The joke is that Charlie is hosed up and manipulated by Dennis in an amusing fashion.

Similarly, when Charlie does the Jaws speech, you don't need to have seen Jaws for the joke to be funny.

This is crazy. Do you need to hear the original of any song Weird Al does in order to get it? What about watching something terrible like Not Another Teen Movie? Do you need to see all of the movies they parody to get the fart jokes?

It's not about what they're parodying. That's just a vessel for the actual joke that is Charlie being hosed up.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Serperoth posted:

I had no idea until reading this thread that the Charlie scene(s) are/were a reference to a specific thing. I still liked them.

Dunno if I'd have liked them more or less if I'd seen MaM, but it worked for me :shrug:

You wouldn't have because anybody who says it matters just wants to feel cooler for "getting it". There is nothing to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

That's fine though, that's a totally valid opinion. I strongly disagree, but not everyone is going to think that the same things are funny.

It's just bizarre to see people try to argue that the jokes are entirely intertextual. Yes there are scenes in the episode that directly parody moments from The Jinx and Making A Murderer. But the comedy comes at least in part from the fact that these established characters FIT into those moments, not just from seeing the thing you've seen before in a different text (or in this case, TV Series). To me, as soon as the behavior of the characters ceases to make sense in the context of whatever you're referencing or parodying, that's when you cross the line into Shoe-Horned-In References for the sake of Reference.

It's on a much smaller scale, but I'm reminded of Ben the Soldier getting his face painted in "The D.E.N.N.I.S. System." You don't have to have seen the original "I Like Turtles" video for that joke to make sense or be funny, you only have to be familiar with the character of Ben the Soldier.

Careful you'll disturb the cool MAM club.