Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Comedy option: put cops on 6' tall 4 wheelers.

Comedy option: gas cops with laughing gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Speaking of truckers, here's one educating a jackhole about the basics of lane etiquette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJhgOu1_zE

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm English. Horses are poo poo for crowds, evidently...

Go to a big football match, either Primer League or one of the bigger Championship games and you will probably see horses used and they are effective. This was very much the exception.

With Police budgets so tightly stretched they wouldn't have mounted units if they weren't effective as they are expensive as gently caress to maintain.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Mounted cops are ideal for crowd control, it's what they're best at. They're not very good at just patrolling and handing out tickets.

Departments need to use the mounted police at sporting events and concerts so that the horses get used to crowds and won't spook when something serious is going on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Foxtrot_13 posted:

With Police budgets so tightly stretched they wouldn't have mounted units if they weren't effective as they are expensive as gently caress to maintain.

Don't believe the oppressors and their tools.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wasabi the J posted:

Don't believe the oppressors and their tools.

less than a billion? what are these babytown frolics? los angeles, a city of half the size, spends at least twice that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Raluek posted:

less than a billion? what are these babytown frolics? los angeles, a city of half the size, spends at least twice that.

NYC is a paltry 6 Billion.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LloydDobler posted:

I think he's talking about the all too familiar situation of someone parked in the passing lane next to someone in the driving lane, matching their speed. That's where ACC shines, it just slows down until they move. He's saying the problem is that they don't tend to move when he's following at a safe distance.
My ACC can change the following distance from "yeah I'll sit back here, I don't care" to "pretty close, please don't cut me off to get in this tiny space"

Leaving too much space in traffic just means people will whip around to get one car length closer and it rustles my jimmies.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Horses are loving stupid, unpredictable animals. Quite why cops choose to ride them round huge crowds I'll never understand.

If mounted officers want to assault demonstrators the plausible deniability is baked right in - its not their fault the crowd spooked the horses and a bunch of people got trampled!

Just like when a police dog fails to obey its release command and mauls the gently caress out of someone, we can't hold the officer accountable for the actions of an unpredictable animal.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geoj posted:

If mounted officers want to assault demonstrators the plausible deniability is baked right in - its not their fault the crowd spooked the horses and a bunch of people got trampled!

Just like when a police dog fails to obey its release command and mauls the gently caress out of someone, we can't hold the officer accountable for the actions of an unpredictable animal.
An unpredictable animal which is also deemed an officer so they can charge you with bigger crimes if the animal is somehow hurt.

You assaulted an officer by petting him!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
..and your dog? "That's just personal property, the courts have determined we're within our rights to shoot it whenever, wherever"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5KIve82w0

I was going 50 in a 40 when this guy came flying up on my rear end, and instead of gunning it when he was buried up my rear end, I blasted him with windshield wiper fluid and flipped him off. So this was his reaction.

Maybe shouldn't flip people off any more.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Do you carry a gun? I feel like that's your license to flip people off with impunity. Short of that, good luck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Astonishing Wang posted:

Do you carry a gun? I feel like that's your license to flip people off with impunity. Short of that, good luck.

I don't, and I wouldn't really want to have to blast someone cause they're easily angered on the road.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, that would be a really dumb reason to shoot someone. You could just leave.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Or, you know, not escalate the situation by flipping people off even if they're assholes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Phanatic posted:

Or, you know, not escalate the situation by flipping people off even if they're assholes.

Could say the same about tailgating people on a 2 lane road.

He could have gone around when he first tailgated, but just wanted to be a dick to me specifically.

That type of person would have been mad if a grandma tapped their brakes in front of them.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 13, 2020

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

He could have gone around when he first tailgated, but just wanted to be a dick to me specifically.

That type of person would have been mad if a grandma tapped their brakes in front of them.

Agreed, these people rarely need much of a push beyond "you existed in MY universe and I was slightly inconvenienced as a result!"

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes, possessing a gun, step one of needlessly escalating any situation.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Tailgaters tend to make me unconsciously turn on my cruise & leave it at like 2-3mph over so I can watch them have a stroke behind me. Makes me wish cars had a built-in popcorn maker to make the show complete.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Ah yes, possessing a gun, step one of needlessly escalating any situation.
Agreed. There are a lot of people who really shouldn’t own guns because they’re waaaaaayyyyyyyyy too willing to turn to them.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Tailgaters tend to make me unconsciously turn on my cruise & leave it at like 2-3mph over so I can watch them have a stroke behind me. Makes me wish cars had a built-in popcorn maker to make the show complete.
Same, except at the limit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

This post, boiled down: “but he started it!!!”

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This post, boiled down: “Your honor, look at what she was wearing!”

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Krakkles posted:

Agreed. There are a lot of people who really shouldn’t own guns because they’re waaaaaayyyyyyyyy too willing to turn to them.

We call those people cops.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PenisMonkey posted:

We call those people cops.
:hfive:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I’m not the one getting out of my car and screaming, and I already admitted my fault in the situation so if you’re looking for your “got ‘em :smug:” moment this ain’t it.

I was wrong for flipping him off but trying to be a tough dudebro because someone showed you a finger is much worse.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rule #1 of the road: The only way to win is to not participate.

Rule #2 of the road: Never escalate a situation.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

This is funny, because there are literal laws of the road, like “maintain a safe distance” and “don’t get out if your car to yell at people”.

Giving the finger was dumb, but it’s not even the same sport as getting out of your car and yelling at people.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krakkles posted:

This is funny, because there are literal laws of the road, like “maintain a safe distance” and “don’t get out if your car to yell at people”.

Giving the finger was dumb, but it’s not even the same sport as getting out of your car and yelling at people.

It is also not your job or even responsibility to correct other drivers if they don't follow the rules.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Fair, but it's our responsibility as members of society to ridicule lovely behavior

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

It is also not your job or even responsibility to correct other drivers if they don't follow the rules.
I mean, I 100% agree, but I don’t remember saying that it was.

Beach Bum posted:

Fair, but it's our responsibility as members of society to ridicule lovely behavior
Yeah.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

BOOTY-ADE posted:

If you’re doing this in the left lane you’re the rear end in a top hat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

I’m not the one getting out of my car and screaming, and I already admitted my fault in the situation so if you’re looking for your “got ‘em :smug:” moment this ain’t it.

I was wrong for flipping him off but trying to be a tough dudebro because someone showed you a finger is much worse.

You should post the audio

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bum the Sad posted:

If you’re doing this in the left lane you’re the rear end in a top hat.

Nope, I usually don't use the interstate much because it's such a cluster but even on regular roads, regardless of the lane I'm in or if there's room to go around, some idiot just has to tailgate like it's some power move. Being that it's the midwest, it's almost always some wanna-be 2Fast2Furious kid or someone in a brodozer who thinks getting close enough that I can only see their grille is gonna make me do anything except get mildly annoyed, slow down & refuse to acknowledge them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

These are the people you share a sidewalk with because you threw rocks at them when they were on the road:

https://twitter.com/ChuckeEChaves/status/1272515598493384704

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was hoping he'd throw another rock...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is some GTA level road rage, drat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress around and FIND OUT

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Hope it was worth the possible felony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1273248530858012672