Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I was going to turn left to pull into a shopping center off a busy highway. Someone was just sitting in the driveway entrance/exit, no signal, nothing. I waited a moment in the suicide lane staring right at them in hopes that the driver would realize he/she's supposed to signal or something. Nope. So then I waited for traffic to clear and just went around him.

He/she still didn't move for another five minutes or so, and he/she/it eventually turned right. Really? You're going to sit in the middle of the entrance/exit and text your boyfriend? You couldn't do that before pulling out of the parking spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Most of those crashes could have been avoided or at least they could have been less severe had those knuckleheads not overcorrected so much.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

wayfinder posted:

Or perhaps give them guns!

Oh god then they'll road rage at everyone.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

In my state, the one who rear ends is pretty much always at fault. "Welp, they should've stopped." It gets to be more of a grey area if, say, someone swerves erratically right in front of you without using a blinker or something but I won't get into that.

Even if you brake sharply, if the guy riding your rear end hits you, then he's at fault because he should have left more of a stopping distance. That's how the law sees it. So why oh why do people tailgate me anyway when I'm already going over the speed limit?

It's especially annoying when I'm going the speed of the car(s) in front of me. Why is the idiot behind me mad at ME about the speed that these other people are going? It's not MY fault that some old lady up there is going 5 under and now she has a motorcade behind her. Take it up with her if it makes you so mad.

This is my only real pet peeve on the road because it makes me so nervous when someone's riding my bumper.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 27, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Fo3 posted:

No, they have never needed to suddenly brake so they don't know what the hell they are doing.
But to give the benefit of the doubt, they want the first car beind the slow car to overtake, then the second, then 3rd etc so they can actually overtake. They can't overtake if no one in front of them is overtaking.

That would make sense if it's a stretch of road that allows for passing. A lot of the state routes around here don't have many passing areas because they're so winding.

I also see that in the passing areas a lot of people will overtake two or even three cars at a time. It's super illegal but that doesn't stop a lot of people from doing it anyway. They are usually driving raised trucks or lowered rice burners. :derp:

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 27, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

WA state has a law that states "delay of 5 or more vehicles illegal" or something to that effect, and they put signs up about it too. Of course, none of the geriatrics that I'd inevitably get stuck behind driving around on Whidbey Island paid attention to that. So many champagne mid-90s Cadillacs....

NY has no such law. There is a law against impeding traffic but you have to be going like 20 under to actually be ticketed for this. It's almost unheard of in this part of the state if the person isn't driving super erratically as well.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 28, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I used to work for an old guy who drove a huge Buick Electra 225. He was short, but pushed the seat way back so that his feet barely hit the pedals.

He got pulled over for doing 45 on the interstate. The cop told him that, while technically he was not violating the law, he was going to get killed for going so slow.

I kind of wish it would be more widely enforced just for the driver's own safety. If they get a couple tickets for it then they might stop going dangerously slow.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I jaywalk all the time. It's not hard to use common sense about it. I've never even had a "close call".

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Geoj posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of "but pedestrians always have the right of way" assholes who will just step off the curb without even glancing in one direction and expect everyone to come to a screeching halt.

Even if that were true it's still stupid to wander out into oncoming traffic. Whether or not you're technically and legally "not at fault" it still doesn't seem worth it to get struck by a vehicle. I just think a lot of people are just too busy with their Smartphones to look both ways?

Bicyclists piss me off when I'm driving. They're supposed to follow the rules of the road but they don't, for the most part, and they get angry at you when they blow through red lights.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 30, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do bicyclists ever get ticketed? They're not required to carry ID so I imagine it would be pretty hard to enforce any sort of traffic laws such as running a red light.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

pjhalifax posted:

Finally I can contribute something to this thread...this is from my hometown paper. The South Carolina highway patrol apparently enjoys ticketing cyclists. That guy got a $247 ticket for "unlawful passing," plus 4 points on his driver's license.

Around here my main complaint (besides those dastardly cyclists) is people using the center left turn/suicide lane as a kind of infinite acceleration lane. I was always taught that when you're turning left onto a 4 lane highway type road with one of those center lanes, you get in the middle lane, stop, and wait for an opportunity to merge...because if you just floor it and speed down the middle trying to match the speed of traffic you're going to crash into someone trying to turn, etc. Not so here. It's part of the speedway.

But you don't need a driver's license to ride a bicycle and there's no law mandating that you have to carry around an ID at all except when you're operating a motor vehicle. Maybe there is such a law in a couple of states; I remember hearing something about California requiring a bicycle ID? It's definitely not the norm.

I suppose the cops could drag you back to the station but I doubt they would bother if nobody is injured.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 30, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

In certain cities such as New York I think cyclists are kind of forced to obey the rules of the road because the ones who don't eat pavement.

Out where I live now there aren't really any bike lanes and it wouldn't be a huge deal if they would just stick to the side of the road.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 31, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I really want to install an air compressor truck horn set in my car but I'm wondering if it would actually work to surprise assholes away from me. They're illegal to use in non-emergency situations; that's the case for every car horn IIRC but some states are more lax about excessive horn-use enforcement than others. The problem is that many people don't seem to hear regular car horns, or they don't register it because they're too distracted.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 31, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I've got a wolo bad boy you can have for 20 bucks plus shipping if you want it. I personally did not like it.

Why didn't you like it?

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

It's like seeing people with the Baby On Board signs driver really recklessly and aggressively even though they expect other motorists around them to drive carefully.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I needed to rewire from the battery with a relay, and it wasn't worth it for me. I originally bought it to replace a horn on a motorcycle, but the horn was actually fine, the wiring was rotted.

I'll ask my husband. I'll probably get it for him. I know he really wants a set of train horns for his VW but those are super illegal in almost all if not absolutely all states.

Something like a truck horn will get someone's attention without waking up the entire neighborhood within two miles and probably netting him a ticket.

Unfortunately, a couple times on the highway the stock horn hasn't been loud enough because some other driver was [on the phone/playing really loud music/daydreaming/whatever].

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

How often do streetcars get into accidents?

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

We were in the left lane on the I-90 and this Town & Country is riding our rear end. I change right to let it pass. The woman driving it just sits in my blind spot for like 5 minutes before passing us. She was talking on her phone and yelling at a couple of kids in the back. Figures. We get behind her and she's all over the road, slowing down, speeding up...

There were children literally bouncing around in the back of the minivan! They were like getting up and walking around! What the hell!? Ever heard of seat belts, lady?!

I don't get why kids in the back turns a lot of parents into such careless drivers. My mother was always telling my brother and I that if we dropped stuff we were out of luck until she could stop. "Mommy can't take her eyes off the road," she constantly said. Wouldn't parents driving their kids around at least make a subconscious effort to drive safely? Precious cargo.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 2, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

In NY state, there's nothing that really says where U-turners stand in terms of right-of-way. It's simply stated that they have to yield to oncoming traffic.

mariooncrack posted:

When Costco gets really busy, my dad will go to whatever lane is the fastest and fill up, even if it means he has to fill up with the pump on the wrong side. It annoys me to no end.

My husband does that, kind of. Instead of using the pump on the wrong side, though, he backs up to the pump.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Edward IV posted:

There are logs with timestamps for phone calls, SMS, text chatting services, social media, and whatever else people will do on their smartphones instead of driving while behind the wheel. Still not quite as definitive as testing for DUI since the distraction can be intermittent and there are other things you could probably do on a phone that is distracting but won't leave a (easily obtainable) record. Also, you need complete physical access to the phone or request the information from the relevant service provider which could lead to issues with information privacy. Plus, the former can easily be denied by the owner and the latter takes a lot of time and can also be denied on the basis of privacy.

Basically, yeah, it's not as simple as a field sobriety test or a breathalyzer.

I may be wrong, but I think that they can only look at your phone and/or request records from your mobile carrier if there was an actual accident that resulted in a death. Maybe injury or death.

Anyway, in NYS there is DUI and DWI. A DUI means you blew over the legal limit.

A DWI means you were driving while impaired or somehow incapacitated. You can blow a .03 and still get a DWI because the officer deems that the one beer you had somehow affected your ability to operate a motor vehicle. People get DWI's for being really tired behind the wheel or having taken cough syrup that morning.

I always wondered how the officers measure tiredness. What would the cops surmise if the driver didn't say, "Sorry officer, I haven't slept in two days"? Even if I was exhausted I would keep my mouth shut in the event of being pulled over or an accident.

If you fail the field tests then that's a DWI right there even if you blow a 0. I'd imagine that a DWI/traffic lawyer would get you off the hook quite easily because there are many reasons why one would fail the tests but it's still time and money wasted. Being overweight or having joint pain can result in a false positive.

My brother got into an accident a while ago. The officer gave him a DWI because he failed the field sobriety tests AFTER explaining to them that his head slammed into the loving window when he was T-boned and that his vision was blurry because of the impact. Cops near Utica apparently don't know what a concussion is. The charge was dropped like a hot potato once he got a lawyer involved.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 13, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

We've had a rash of wrong-way freeway drivers recently (and, unfortunately, the wrecks and fatalities that go with them) and I think every single one that they've actually apprehended (or been able to get a toxicology report out of the remains) has been drunk off their rear end. Doesn't rule out suicide, but absolutely none of them were sober that I can remember.

Yeah my first thought when I saw that video was not that it was a botched suicide attempt. It looked like the driver had no idea where the gently caress he was going, probably due to alcohol and/or drugs. Edit: Apparently the driver was a woman.

There was a string of tractor-trailer suicides in my neck of the woods. They threw themselves, sans vehicle, in front of trucks. Doing so in a car or SUV seems like it would net inconsistent results. Then again, if she is quite mentally unstable she may not have thought that through.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 13, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

The aftermaths I saw of an accident yesterday in Niagara Falls was enough of a reminder to drive more carefully. There's no news article about it yet but a small car was completely shattered to smithereens and whoever was being carried on a gurney was covered by a blanket. I'm pretty sure they only do that if someone's dead. I can't fathom how anyone in that vehicle would have survived. I'm not going to pretend it didn't disturb me.

You're only supposed to go like 35 at that intersection. It should have just been a stupid fender bender!

The whole car looked like this:

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 14, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

A crash this serious would be in the local news. I'm surprised it's not already. Maybe they're having issues contacting next of kin? There is a brief mention of it on the Fire Wire.

I'm morbidly curious about what happened. It looked like a pickup truck had smashed a smaller car to bits somehow. The truck was still mostly intact compared to the car.

Guys, if the light JUST turned green and you're about to enter the intersection, please briefly glance in case there's that jackass who's gunning it because he doesn't want to get stuck at the light.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 14, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

kastein posted:

I think that pic was an example, not the actual car in question - not sure though.

Yeah, it's a picture I found that looks a lot like the remains of the car I saw yesterday. It was that level of shattered.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

My girlfriend is also a terrible phone user when driving, I have had to tell her "The light is green" multiple times, and we rarely go the speed limit when she's texting and actually moving. I hate it. I give her poo poo about it all the time and she finally started only using it at red lights, which is great but as far as she's concerned every light is red until I tell her it isn't or she gets honked at. :argh:

Guilty. I don't use my phone or start doing my makeup in the rearview mirror, but I tend to space out at red lights. I'll be staring at the lights and it'll turn green but I've started thinking about something completely unrelated to driving.

This usually only happens when I'm the first person at the stop line.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Yeah, when I'm the first one at the stop line and the light turns green, it takes a couple seconds for my brain to process that it's turned green because I was thinking about some cute thing my cat did this morning.

When I'm behind someone else, my response time is usually much quicker.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

My husband was driving already like 10 over in the left lane when some jackass in a brotruck pulls up behind us and starts riding our asses. He didn't have room to just pass us on the right or something. Husband brake-checked him. In response he flashed his high beams and I think he got even closer.

Husband spent the next 30 minutes or so trapping him next to tractor-trailers and keeping him from passing by speeding up/slowing down. I was like, "Seriously? This guy is probably going to shoot us!"

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Your husband is an rear end in a top hat.

He is when he's driving. That's why when we're both going somewhere together, I usually drive. He's really road-ragey and he'll start yelling because someone's taking forever to turn. That annoys me too but I don't further annoy everyone else in the car by yelling about it.

PCOS Bill posted:

Uh, I'm actually with brotruck guy on this one, sorry. Move the gently caress over if you're only doing 10 over and someone wants to go faster.

They were both being dicks to each other. I don't think there's ever any reason to ride someone's rear end when you're doing like 80. If I encounter a slowpoke in any lane and I want to get around them then it's ultimately my responsibility to pass them because I can't force someone to go faster.

My husband is an rear end in a top hat you share the road with.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 17, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Your husband is an rear end in a top hat and you're that person who sits at green lights. Do you live near any other goons, some of the other posts in this thread may be about the two of you :downsbravo:

Probably. Especially when people people complain about really rude, aggressive drivers. I think to myself that it sounds like my husband.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I agree, but sometimes you do encounter that jackass who won't move to the slower lane to let faster traffic pass. In this case, the correct response is to pass Pixelated Dragon's husband and hope he doesn't start flashing brights at you for being a speed demon maniac. Or cutting you off and preventing you from passing because you're obviously going :siren: too fast :siren:.

(And even if the faster car is a maniac, I'd rather have the maniac in front of me & driving away from me quickly than tailgating me. Let faster cars pass you, it's lower stress for everyone involved.)

He didn't care about the fact that the guy behind him wanted to go really fast, he was just pissy that the guy behind him was tailgating him for so long instead of just passing on the right which is not illegal in our state as long as you pass in an actual lane instead of a shoulder. The problem is that particular stretch of the freeway in that area is usually full of people content to go 10-15 under in the right lane. People like to drive slowly near Rochester?

Anyway, my husband is a jerk behind the wheel and I hate being a passenger with him because he's that guy people complain about here.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 17, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Also, fresh off imgur: People literally are retarded.

Ran the red light, better back up! :downs:

"poo poo, I just backed into something. I better back up even more!"

Mooseykins posted:

The problem with regular testing is that it wouldn't be much different to doing a single test. No-one drives the way they do for the test. Both hands on the wheel unless changing gear, checking mirrors in order frequently, mirror-signal-maneoueoeoueouver, etc. Even the instructors tell you they're not teaching you how to drive, they're teaching you how to pass the test.

When i did my test i drove in test-mode on the way there, did all that poo poo for the test and once i'd passed i hopped back in the car, one hand on the wheel, arm out the window, etc.

This would make an excellent driving ticket/fine.

Section 134 of the Road Traffic Act - Cuntish Driving :v:

Let alone that road testing would get more backed up than it already is. All the DMVs are booked three months out in my neck of the woods.

xzzy posted:

Except IQ has nothing to do with driving ability.

Really all that's needed is an effective licensing system that actually tests drivers instead of rubber stamping everything. And an enforcement system that makes mistakes costly.

Mistakes are already pretty costly, when they are caught.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 8, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

It's hard to imagine how pedal confusion happens, let alone so drat often and amongst people who've been driving a long time.

I could see it happening to someone who just got his or her permit.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Road rage incident today.

The speed limit is 45 and I was in the right lane. Some minivan started to turn right on red in front of me while I was in the intersection going 45. She didn't even look. I braked and honked, she stopped in the nick of time, and I still had to swerve to avoid clipping the front of her car.

Whatever, no harm, no foul, right?

She proceeded to ride my rear end all the way to a Barnes and Noble, where I thought I lost her in the parking lot, but she found me and parked a few spaces away. Then she got out of her car and started banging on the driver's side window with her key fob and trying the (thankfully locked) door handle while screaming her head off. I immediately drove away like a bat out of hell and she still tried to chase me on foot!

What in the actual gently caress? It was really scary. I called the police and told them her license plate # but I'm not sure if they'll do anything.

Why the hell did she follow me and get out of her car? How did she know I didn't have a gun or something? Why was she so pissed even though the near-miss was her fault anyway?

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 10, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Well, it's a minivan, so let me guess, older lady, right? Probably the soccer-mom type who thinks they're always in the right no matter what?

Did she do any cherry-on-top scenarios where she screams about having a kid in the car (meanwhile being an absolutely horrible role model)?

Sorry that happened to you, it's pretty drat scary.

She looked midde-aged, at least mid-40's. Then again, everyone probably looks older while flying into a rage like that. Yup, she totally kept reiterating that there are children in that car.

I think the only thing that could have made the situation scarier would be if it was a man trying to bust open my car door...

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 10, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

ijustam posted:

Brotruck rage against a Rolls Royce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzN1lBvVgA

They're both dingleberries. Brotruck guy even more so.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

JackDarko posted:

So what's the best way to deal with a guy who is so upset you won't make an unsafe right on a red that they get out of their car and approach you? I got lucky in this instance that the light turned green in the nick of time and nobody ran the red.

What is up with people leaving their vehicles to road rage at other drivers? That happened to me yesterday, except the lady followed me into a Barnes and Noble parking lot. The whole story is on the previous page.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Road rage incident today.

The speed limit is 45 and I was in the right lane. Some minivan started to turn right on red in front of me while I was in the intersection going 45. She didn't even look. I braked and honked, she stopped in the nick of time, and I still had to swerve to avoid clipping the front of her car.

Whatever, no harm, no foul, right?

She proceeded to ride my rear end all the way to a Barnes and Noble, where I thought I lost her in the parking lot, but she found me and parked a few spaces away. Then she got out of her car and started banging on the driver's side window with her key fob and trying the (thankfully locked) door handle while screaming her head off. I immediately drove away like a bat out of hell and she still tried to chase me on foot!

What in the actual gently caress? It was really scary. I called the police and told them her license plate # but I'm not sure if they'll do anything.

Why the hell did she follow me and get out of her car? How did she know I didn't have a gun or something? Why was she so pissed even though the near-miss was her fault anyway?

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

PT6A posted:

I posted a variation on this on Twitter, regarding a man who had been ripping mirrors off cars and later attempted to rip someone's door off.

Apparently "mental illness is no joke" and I'm a horrible person, but if you attempt to rip bits off my car, I don't really give a gently caress about the why.

One's mental illness does not mean he is not to be held accountable for his behavior.

revmoo posted:

Someone gets out of their car to attack me and they're getting run the gently caress over. End of story.

I was secretly hoping I'd run over her foot as I pulled out, but apparently not since she was able to chase me on foot.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

The guy was psychotic *and* violent. I would fear for my own safety if he was having an episode anywhere somewhere in my vicinity.

Anyway, the mentally ill shouldn't get a free pass for their actions. I hope he faced some sort of ramification.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Geoj posted:

Re: diffusing road ragers - I've found the most effective method is start video recording them with your phone. Just start recording and don't do anything but sit there deadpan with your phone in hand. Works every time.

I'd imagine that in some cases it would just make the road rager more angry.

On another note, reversible lanes aka suicide lanes - a lot better in theory than in practice, given that most of the time the road is super busy and people don't know precisely where they're going so there's a lot of unintentional derping about.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

tuna posted:

Very simple one today, car (legal but daft) was in my lane overtaking a cyclist as I was pulling onto the road. My vision (and hers I guess) was blocked by stupid giant SUVs and vans parked on the road. Definitely caught me off guard first thing in the morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJr-73FELo

[edit] as an aside: can people with huge cars and vans and trucks NOT park right next to driveways and corners please? You almost cause so many accidents.

You're supposed to creep out really slowly until you *can* see traffic approaching from both sides. Giant SUVs parked along the road don't make it easy. I think parallel parking should be disallowed on most residential streets because it truncates space and fucks up visibility.