Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So recently, I've noticed locally there is little difference in folks who use their turn signals and those who don't.

Either way they're going to cut you off in traffic. The advantage in those who use them is you have about 1 second warning before they side swipe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nothing like being yelled at for parking in a handicapped spot... When you aren't parked in a handicapped spot. Or anywhere near a handicapped spot.

Me thinks the other driver was handicapped... Mentally

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Saw an 8 car pileup on my way to work Friday.

Lady mistook an unprotected left for a protected one at a busy 5 lane intersection. The speed limit is 45, and it's a traffic dense area. She got creamed by two cars that she cut off; those three cars spun out and took out two cars in opposing traffic and 3 cars waiting at the red light.

It looked like a demolition derby.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

N is for Nipples posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMiXqP8vI0

Of particular importance to STR and myself. This is like 11foot8 but considerably more :stonk:

Everyone is aiming for the bullseye in the middle of the intersection.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Was involved in a glorious incidence this afternoon.

On a 5 lane road, stopped at red light. ~1000 ft ahead, the lane is blocked with road crews cleaning up debris from last night's storm. I have my left turn signal on. Light turns green, I gun it, get ahead of the bro-truck to my left and start to move left. The bro-truck beside me decides I'm not going to get over and blocks my path flashing his lights and laying on the horn. I back off and wait for him to pass - but he also backs off. I end up stopped because I ran out of open road in my lane. No big deal, wait for him to pass, go on my way.

Next intersection, we're the lead cars at the red light. This time I'm in the left lane, he's in the right. At green, he gives me the finger, peels out. What he didn't see was the po-po to his left, and apparently the car that was turning left from a side street ahead. The po-po jumped into the intersection with his lights on about the time bro-truck nailed the left turning car. I was still sitting at the intersection watching all of this unfold.

I stop to give my statement to po-po. Bro-truck driver (a guy in his late 40s) is all up in my face about racing him. Po-po shuts him down really quickly. Guy continues to be a mouthy rear end and ends up cuffed in the back of the cruiser. I give my statement, explain the 'racing' bit, he thanks me for stopping, and tells me to carry on.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dude was also screaming at the poor lady he t-boned. If he hadn't been an rear end while driving, she would have cleared the turn with no issues.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

tuna posted:

Maybe, but it doesnt really seem very fair to anyone else. Other spots they eradicated were 10-minute parking spots so people could run in and pick up some eggs and get out, without parking much further away.

Now I'm curious, how much charge do Volts and priuses get in a typical 30-40 minute supermarket stay?

Volt owner here. Assuming it's a 240V station, 5-6 miles for a 1/2 hour on a charger.

And as someone mentioned, they're closer to the entrance because it's less effort to run the wiring to the station. Unless it's a solar powered station -- at least locally, those are usually located in the back 9 of the parking lots.

I have mixed feelings about the whole designated parking thing. If the local municipality has an ordinance around who can park where, then I get pissy about who parks where. Citizens have an obligation to obey the law, and to fight city hall if they don't agree with the ordinance. Likewise with handicapped spots. I've fussed at my dad several times for parking in a handicapped spot when my mom (who is handicapped and the person designated on the hangtag/sticker) isn't in the car. That's not cool, and it's not legal. I also have a problem with stores that provide 30 handicapped spots (Wal-Mart) and the only time all are occupied simultaneously are the day before Christmas and the day after Christmas.

If the EV only spots are pay-to-park (most are), I get pissy about non-EVs parking in them and not paying. They're messing with a paid service, and oftentimes the lot owner/manager has the right to tow.

If none of the above apply, I personally park there if my vehicle/condition applies and really care less about who parks where. Although I do chuckle when an H2 parks in a 'Fuel Efficient Vehicle Only' spot. Or when a teenaged male parks in the 'Pregnant Women only' spot.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 14, 2014

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There seems to be a direct correlation between bad drivers and the amount of poo poo glued to the back of their vehicle.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had a woman in her late 50s go road ragey on me this afternoon. She decided to cut between cars in a crowded parking lot and didn't see me. I gave her the horn and barely missed her. She gave me the finger, got out of her urban assault vehicle, and chased me down the aisle screaming and flailing her arms.

I need a dashcam to start recording these things for posterity.

:colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wish I had a banana - I would have thrown her one :D

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I just passed a Dodge grand caravan towing a Dodge grand caravan towing a Ford Taurus on I40.

:cripes:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The only question is, was she listening to Jesus Take the Wheel at the time?

Nah, God is her co-pilot

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This makes me irrationally angry. All vehicles are at a complete stop.

In the left lane, there is ample room for a car between cars 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. In fact that would be normal.
In the right lane, there is room for 2 (almost 3) cars between car 1 and 2, and room for a car between 2 and 3 (barely seen here).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There's a difference between coasting to a stop and stopping multiple car lengths from the car in front of you and/or rolling forward.

The first one is not a bad thing. The second is just being stupid.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Locator posted:

Yes they do. A couple years ago there was a story in the news about some dumb woman in California who sued Honda because her precious little car wasn't getting the mileage from the window sticker.

There was more to that story - it was a Civic Hybrid - which Honda applied software updates to abate numerous Hybrid battery failures. The software updates significantly reduced the benefit of the system.

The part of her lawsuit that was questionable and unreasonable in my opinion was that she bought the car *used*.

Full disclosure - I owned a Civic Hybrid and experienced the issue described. Gas mileage dropped from mid-50s on the highway to upper-40s, city dropped from mid-40s to upper-30s. My battery pack was replaced under warranty at 18k miles.

Civic Hybrid was second least reliable car I've owned.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Michael Scott posted:

I can't wait until adaptive cruise control is standard equipment. I'm only going to (be able to) buy used for many many years, so it will be a while for me.

I saw an accident yesterday that made me laugh. I stuck around to give a statement because it was so good.

Woman in a new Infiniti rear-ended a newish Mazda that had slowed down on traffic. Infiniti woman was insistent that the accident was a defect in her car because she had it set to stop automatically.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There's a stretch of residential road in Memphis where they installed roundabouts at every intersection to eliminate street racing. It's not uncommon to find a car stuck in the median.

:allears:

Edit: I really did type median - stupid autocorrect

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Plus the highcentered cars make an awesome teeter-totter until the tow truck arrives.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 6, 2014

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On I-40 West, beebopping along behind the lead truck of a utility crew convoy doing 65 in the right lane. Safe distance between us.

Utility truck driver slows to 60, 55, I've got my left turn signal on looking for an opening to go around. Then he brake checks me, and then flips me off as I go around him.

Back at 65 and he rides my bumper for the next 20 miles.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 11, 2014

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Second weekend in a row I-40 West has come to a dead stop for 1/2 hour in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. For no reason.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

illest parking job

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

My parking skills seem to have deteriorated over time; how can I best fix that?

Let Fingal drive :cabot:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

One of those German bikes with 4 wheels...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On my way back to Memphis from OKC today on i-40. On three occasions so far, the left lane has been blocked by a BMW driver going 65 mph that will not move into the right lane.

BMW driver from Virginia was giving the finger to every driver who passed him on the right.

Evidently that's how they teach people to drive in Virginia.

:colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Old lady driving west in eastbound traffic on a 5 lane city street. On a mobility scooter. Giving folks the finger as they avoid her.

She ended up in the back of a police cruiser.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So last night - this oblivious woman pulls out sans headlights, cell phone to ear. Within 500 feet she was up on the curb, overcorrected and got sideways in the middle of a 5 lane road. I missed T-boning her by less than a car length. That's only the 2nd time my anti-collision system has been triggered - it's quite the adrenaline rush when the car jams on the brakes all by itself.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrOnBicycle posted:

Volvo city safety?

Nope -- GM Collision Mitigation Braking

It works well, just disconcerting when it happens.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Arriviste posted:

:j: Brake lights go off means GOTTA GO NOW no matter what.

I've been rearended twice by :j: who used that logic.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I thought Memphis driving was bad - the whole state of South Carolina is awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UluShy5Auxo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krakkles posted:

No one who scoffs that much can possibly be right. I like how he gets outraged (verbally, on camera) that someone wants to turn left from the left lane but stops to let them do it.

Like I said -- bad drivers in South Carolina -- Mr Videographer is one of them ;D

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Apparently, I am one of them.

I like to coast to red lights.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

At work, each building has 10 reserved spots for motorcycles at the building entrance of each building. The spots are never full. There's always 1 or 2 cyclists who take up the nearest car spaces, which are a good 100 feet away. Why?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This is becoming a thing in Memphis. Driver in Left Turn lane turns right on green arrow. Driver in Right Turn lane randomly turns left causing much screeching and honking.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This year our company announced a zero-tolerance policy on business calls (handsfree or otherwise) and texting while driving. Guess how well enforcement has gone?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

Semantics :rolleyes: driver clearly caused the accident and did not right of way to make the turn.

And stopped strategically to ensure cyclist would hit him.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Attention everyone! We have a grocery emergency! Must park perpendicular in two handicap spaces, get out of car, run into the store to get groceries! It's ok because have hazards on. LEGALIZE FREEDOM! DON'T TREAD ON ME!

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 22, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

They pulled in front of a firetruck. With lights and sirens going. Unfuckingbelievable.

edit: And horns too!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I don't understand how people in Memphis can screw up merging onto a freeway so bad. Most on-ramps are a quarter mile long. Get up to the speed of traffic, find a hole and merge.

I saw a lady in a Suburban go apeshit because she was trying to merge going 45 while traffic was going 65. Flipped people off for not getting out of her way too (in fairness there was nowhere for them to go).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

stevobob posted:

Land of the raves, or something. Kids today

Oontz oontz oontz oontz....