Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

More in the spirit of the original direction this thread took than bad drivers, but goddamn. I really try sometimes and I don't know why.

(I gave up, he can loving walk to the store for a water pump for all I care)

laredo is not a jeep model and "4x4" isn't either. Jesus tap dancing christ.

That's ridiculous, but so is explaining what a VIN is...
and a "google"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Guys, chill out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Why brake check or try loving with the other guy when you can just get out of the lane you clearly shouldn't be in if someone behind you wants to go faster?

Someone obviously hasn't been to Maryland.

They pass on the right there. Moreover, they go slow in the left lane, UNTIL someone passes them on the right. Then they make it their motherfucking life mission to play leapfrog with that car, even if it means crossing 3 lanes of traffic, passing everyone on the shoulder, and cutting all the way back over to the left.

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah I don't know how many times I've had tailgaters undertake me while we were in heavy traffic and then proceed to stay one car ahead of me for the next 20 miles going the same speed as me (and the hundred cars ahead). Good job, dude, you did it. You won.

This is usually the end result of said dangerous driving.

Coolstorybro:

I was coming home from the beach on Monday. 495W in MD.
Traffic was moving along about 45-50 mph.
Cop coming Eastbound on the opposite side of the road SLAMS on his brakes and pulls to his left (middle) shoulder, after just cresting a hill.
He then proceeds to fly BACKWARDS UP THE SHOULDER WITH NO LIGHTS ON past me.
I'm still going 50, and this cop is doing at least 70 backwards on the shoulder into oncomming traffic without his lights on. :wtc:
He cuts into the "Authorized vehicle only" crossover in the median with a chrisp flick of the wheel and tight powerslide. Reverses into traffic in front of me and floors it forward without ever breaking momentum.

Why would an officer drive so recklessly and dangerously?
I have no idea but he pulled over some black guy in a silver altima that had been chillin in traffic in ahead of me for the last 15ish miles.
I'm sure it was a good reason.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 1, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Glock 17 on my hip all day every day. Namaste.
Glock 27 here buddy!

:911:

Javid posted:

80% of this thread essentially amounts to no two drivers being able to agree on the correct speed to be traveling at, ever.

Everyone faster than me is an rear end in a top hat.
Everyone slower than me is an idiot.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

My hands are too big for anything smaller than the full size line, I hate it.

Get that finger extension magazine. +1 finger, +1 bullet.
That thing is sorta painful to shoot otherwise. .40 S&W with a 3 finger grip... no thanks.

kastein posted:

These are the roads we share the other people with :confuoot:

What the gently caress is going on here?
Did they just plop a highway on top of what used to be an intersection.
and separate it with a sidewalk?

I need a maps link. My brain is all twisted trying to figure this out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kastein posted:

It is in worcester mass just slightly northwest of the commuter rail station. Would link but I am on my phone and the maps app is infuriating to get a link out of.

Basically they completely rebuilt a rotary and several roads as well as a few intersections and demolished a few derelict buildings and a parking garage. That road got lost in the mix and ended up being a dead end one way road with a crosswalk across the end and various turn lanes, none of which go anywhere.

Welcome to Massachusetts!

E: it's not a highway, more of a large surface street. The highway is a few blocks east.

That's even worse!
Couldn't they at least loving paint over the lines or put up barriers or SOMETHING.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MrLonghair posted:

This driver ignored two signs of roadwork warnings preceeding a 50 meter stretch, one sign of closed right lane, one worker flagging cars waving like mad and approaching it yelling, one road roller in action down the right lane with active signals that laid on the very powerful horn as the car cut it off, black fresh asphalt that was on the third lap of rolls and then the three workers seen here. Then the driver sat like that for 30 seconds not understanding why the workers wanted the car to gtfo.

At the time I wished it had been fresh cement instead so I could have seen the driver eat some serious punshments which brings me to my question: Is there an automotive equivalent to Darwin?

Apparently it's mustangs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

88h88 posted:

A lot of new cars these days automatically switch the hazards on when you're braking semi-hard on a motorway/freeway.

What the gently caress are brake lights for then?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

88h88 posted:

'the users are loving idiots'

pretty much this. I generally give at least a car's length following distance, even when I'm basically parked on the highway (see: DC traffic).
Last year, some jerk in a Prius apparently didn't like this, or the fact that I let people zipper merge properly so as soon as we started to move again he hit the shoulder to pass me, cut me off and SLAM into the back of the car in front of me. Didn't even touch the brakes.
Traffic was moving like 10-ish mph when we were moving. I'm pretty sure he hit the car at about 30mph.
No idea if they took his license, but they probably should have.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oih1Yf7l-c0

These are the people you share an Uber with. The driver looked like he was on the verge of stroking out.

I get the feeling she was doing the Uber equivalent of "are we there yet?" the entire way there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Karma Monkey posted:

Agreed. I'm wondering if she made it clear at the start that she needed to go to the ER, and if that was the case, why she didn't say something like "please I really need you to drop me at the ER, I'm too sick/injured/whatever to get there from here on foot"

or, ya know, CALL A loving AMBULANCE!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

how the gently caress?
Did the steering wheel lock or something? I mean I know it's tough to turn without power steering, but that wheel wasn't budging with 2 people fighting it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I live in upstate NY so these same people-you-share-a-road-with occasionally leak onto our roads. I know the whole "[state] has the worst drivers" meme is as old as the car itself and loaded with confirmation bias but seriously, Mass, what the gently caress.

I have never encountered drivers so simultaneously aggressive and bewildered.

Sorry, but Maryland is actually the problem. Pennsylvania you wipe that stupid loving smirk off your goddamn face right now because you're not far behind.
Jersey? Get the gently caress off my planet.

MD as a state generally employs the following rules:
1) You must either drive at 20 above or 20 below the posted speed limit. Nothing else.
2) You may only pass on the right. Unless it's extra dangerous to pass on the left, in which case do that.
3) Bonus points for swerving to defend your lane position.
4) You are entitled to one half of the road. Which portion of the road you take that half out of, is up to you.
5) Reversing on the highway is cool and good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, that's the problem. You have far too much faith in people if you think the majority of people buying LED light bars know how to, or care to, use them properly. Most of them I see are on lifted trucks or blinged out jeeps where it's more of a stylistic choice than an actual functional element of the car. (Much like chineseium HID lights.)

At the very least they'll probably back off or pass you (or hit a tree because blinded) when their headlights are reflected right back in their face.
Either way... mission accomplished.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the worst part about this is the guy recording missed the light.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Roseo posted:

I get that they're heavy and accelerate slow, but is it kosher to be pissed at semis that accelerate really slowly on rural on ramps and merge into highway traffic going 75-80 at 30 per?

These signs exist for a reason.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2016/06/tractor-trailer_flips_at_25th.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jamal posted:

Saw a bro truck with a roof mounted LED light bar yesterday, lit up red. Wonder if he drives around like that at night too.

Isn't that the least visible color on the visible light spectrum?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

you ate my cat posted:

DC is its own special little shitshow. This weekend I was near the zoo, turning right but waiting for a pedestrian to get out from in front of me. The guy behind me lays on his horn, passes me on the left, makes the right turn in front of me, nearly mows down the pedestrian, and speeds off. I'm planning to move down there fairly soon, and I see I have a lot to learn about being a dickhead first.

Move to MD. You'll learn proper quick.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This and when you are on a 2 lane expressway and peek your nose out to move into the seemingly empty passing lane, you expect any new cars in that lane to be moving with similar relative velocity, not the other direction.

Said differently, if you are both travelling 35 mph (speed limit in that video), now you have to dodge a 70 mph object headed straight at you.

Which at a distance might be difficult for you to establish that it's going the wrong direction. Not 70's Beetle bad, but apparently bad enough.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Besides mirrors, how the gently caress do I signal to someone that their high-beams are on?

I tried flashing the brake lights, turning my lights off and on, getting behind them and hitting them with MY high-beams, hazard lights, brake checking them, writing it on a posterboard and holding it out the window and finally just running them off the road.
Then they just sat there on the shoulder with their high beams on, hitting EVERYONE that passed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

InitialDave posted:

If you think we're annoyed about it, I bet the truckers are going nuts. They're allowed to do 60 now!

Oh, and Scotland has kept a lower artic limit on single/dual carriageway non-motorway roads (40 and 50mph respectively) for some reason. Wonder how many people they catch out with that one.

Content:

http://imgur.com/jZvpbwY.gifv

gently caress YES, YOU loving THROBBER.

This is great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

My last ticket was about eight years ago for a 77 in a 55. My average highway speed is around 104MPH (because VTEC engages at about 106MPH in 6th gear on the VFR)

It's not really a dice roll, there's almost no enforcement here.

I got pulled over for doing 130 in the rain (on my CBR F3) on an exit ramp by a VA state trooper in our Capital. I thought for sure I was going to jail.
Instead, it was probably the only time I DIDN'T get a ticket. The cop just got out of his car, walked up in his plastic bagged statey hat, and said "YOU CAN'T RIDE LIKE THAT HERE!"
Then, he got back in his car and drove off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BOOTY-ADE posted:

he rode right up my rear end for what felt like a quarter mile before hitting his lights.

They do that to goad you into speeding.
Next time either brake check him or let off the gas and see how long you can coast before he passes you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The best part about this is that there is no barrier or anything.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just got back from Texas.
I forgot how suicidal all the drivers are down there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

West SAAB Story posted:

gently caress I have AAA, I'll get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1oM7LBbxE

I've never used AAA. I've needed it a few times, and completely forgot I had it until after the whole "call friend for ride home, get spare vehicle and tools, fix broken vehicle/tow broken vehicle home" routine.
At which point I facepalm and wonder why the gently caress I have AAA or why the gently caress I didn't call AAA.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mobby_6kl posted:

This wouldn't have happened if he was overtaking from the like a smart person.

I think you accidentally a word.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nitrogen posted:

How the gently caress is this even remotely acceptable?

swirvin' Irvan

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 1, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Powershift posted:

I don't think it's going into the cab, probably just using it as a bottle warmer.

If you've ever tried getting propane out of a tank below -20*c, you'll know it doesn't come willingly.

I gotta say this is a much better solution than using a bunsen burner.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It depends on the car. Buddy of mine had a 91 Town Car that was fun. I've heard early Cadillacs would just hammer it and smoke the tires.

2nd car was a 92 Lincoln Towncar. It would do 120 no problem and from a stop I could just mash the gas and do rolling burnouts.
Probably not the best car for a teenager to have but drat was it fun.

One of the best parts was seating for 6 and another 6 in the trunk.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Domestic Amuse posted:

Steering wheel face button supremacy forever.

I had a 1992 Lincoln Towncar . Owns bones.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phanatic posted:

This happened right in front of me on my way to work a couple weeks ago:

But in fairness, I don't think it was the Jeep's fault. Red-light runner caught it on the corner and rolled it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Did that trailer's spare fall off in the gif too? Jesus Christ dude get your life straight.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PT6A posted:

letting the clutch out a bit too fast to cause a loss of traction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCE7wKlGMU&t=70s

sorry for the terrible video.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PT6A posted:

The hell is wrong with that person's brain?

Seriously, just rent a fuckin' pickup, you dunce. Or a crossover, or an SUV, or even a hatchback -- these are all better choices than what you've done.

That looks like a scrapper desperate to get meth money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geoj posted:

This is the sovcit I share a parking lot with at work:

Click for huge.

What the gently caress is a Torrent?
Maybe they're right... maybe I WOULDN'T download a car.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I want to get a spot-strobe and aim it out the back window for those assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g434EnjOOuU

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 8, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kastein posted:

:suicide:

it took me
FUCKIN
HOURS

to get to work today. I went up 131, then GPS told me to eat a dick and jump on rt20 instead of i90, then onto 290, oh wait back off of 290 and onto loving ROUTE 12 through Worcester, then back onto 290, sit on my nuts in traffic for 20 minutes to go ~2 miles, then onto 495 north, sat through ~a dozen traffic jams, then i93 south. I saw: zero accidents. Every single one was cleared by the time I got to the end of the jam-up.

However I did see the most amazing thing of my entire driving career, and hopefully my dashcam caught it. Lemme trim the video down real quick if it did.

:f5:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sigma posted:

This is the Jeep that was in the ER parking lot

Then there's also this entire thread.

And this thread.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 2, 2017