Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

It takes a heckuva lot of fuel to get to the lower explosive limit in an open atmosphere, though.

True.

This particular shitshow was the result of an untrained attendant's attempt to transfer fuel from the station's storage tanks to their active ones. The active tanks weren't empty - the breaker to their pumps had tripped, which meant no fuel pressure to the dispensing pumps. The active tanks promptly filled, then overtopped their containment area. The excess gasoline flowed into the area of the pumps and under an idling vehicle...

3500 gallons of gas, up in smoke.

The above pic was taken by a buddy of mine. He works for a fuel delivery company - they fuel boats, generators, construction equipment, etc. This company has a depot which was directly behind the gas station in question. At the time of the blaze the delivery company's above-ground tanks were all full, plus there were two fully-laden delivery trucks and one tanker trailer in the yard.

90,000+ gallons of gas and diesel, combined.

It was a really close call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

I was at Harbor Freight yesterday, and as I'm walking back out to my car, this four-door Tundra suddenly (but slowly) starts backing out of a space, while I'm behind it. The brake lights flick on, and I step away from it, thinking the driver has noticed me ... then she lets off the brake and keeps rolling. I step away again, while hitting the tailgate with my hand in what I think was a passable impression of the sound a car accident makes. She gets back on the brakes, throws it in drive, pulls back into the space. (By now, I've kept walking and am at my car.)

I had a similar encounter with an older Rav-4. I was literally on my way to court, carrying a briefcase and a laptop bag through the parking lot. I was ~3' directly behind the rows of cars when the one directly adjacent to me backed out, aggressively.

(mentally) Driver doesn't see me. Isn't stopping. Oh poo poo. Can't jump to the side or back, not enough time. Can't jump onto the trunk, its a Rav4, ain't got no trunk. Can't jump onto the bumper, might miss. Go under?

(this thought process took a second, maybe less)

I threw the bags to the side, twisted and hit the deck on my back, feet first, directly behind the car. Which continued backing up - straight over me.

I started pounding on the the gas tank and shouting...

The car stopped. The driver (an older lady) got out and came around to the back to see what was up. She was greeted with the spectacle of a body under her car. She wailed "Oh God! Oh God! I kill him!" and just crumpled to the ground.

I dragged myself from under the car, propped her head up, checked her breathing and pulse then called 911.

"St. Thomas 911 how can I help."

"I need an ambulance to the Fort Christian parking lot. This lady just ran me over and then she fell over and passed out."

~~SILENCE~~

Yeah.

She woke up while I was still on the phone with the 911 operator, at which point I had to calm her down and convince here that she had not, in fact, killed me.

My friends call me Roadkill now. :)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

On the related videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhx-fgpeBo fun stuff starts at about 55 seconds in.

The spin out of control is like something out of a movie. Overcorrect left, overcorrect right, see ya!
Also in my experience driving in the greater Vancouver area is always like this.

jerrylivingston1977, rear end in a top hat posted:

Being a driver myself, the moment I saw the truck, I knew he would be the guy causing at fault. As you can see the car driver was close to the truck who should have moved to the right lane to give way to the car. He also seemed to over take the car before him on the right lane without checking the sides. These are the kind of fools I don't want to see on the roads.

:psyduck:

Never read youtube comments.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's brutal. The final episode airs tonight, but I don't know how they can top last week's running away from the event, breaking into your own motherfucking home and slashing your hand tendons wide open.

Then again, they are going to be driving on city streets this time and the drivers have gotten pulled over and ticketed for infractions before.

From the last page...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvE1tqkUzRA

Jesus Christ.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I was just behind a guy in a red Fiesta with Florida plates. While merging, he opened his door, stuck his head out, and looked backwards behind the car. :stare: It was a pretty new car and he had side mirrors.

Perhaps he's a DC-3 pilot? Force of habit and all.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Spotted on the way to work today.

Do NOT
Double
Stack

Lol.

Got the hell away from this one as quick as I could.

edit : oh look gas is cheap today

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

U.S. Virgin Islands.

Yup.

Also we drive on the left because of donkeys. Seriously.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

impressive, if impractical.

Going to try a pair of the previously-mentioned Steibel horns on my Durango, which I just found out are dead. Luckily the fool who decided to jaywalk across a 4 lane road at night whilst wearing all black heard the howl of my 4 BFGs locking up...

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 6, 2014

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

Turns out this shitlord is SO LAZY that they can't be bothered to hold their foot on the brake at red lights, so much so that they choose to put the car IN PARK each time. :wtc:

back in school I had a shitbox Tempo with a leaky rear brake drum - and no money to pay for repairs.

I learned real quick to throw that bitch in park at lights.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 26, 2014

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

It's even worse when you're in a 100,000lb truck. I can't even count the number of times i've been doing 100kph, with nobody behind me for miles, and someone pulls out in front of me forcing me to brake down to 50kph or so, spending 2 minutes getting back up to 100kph, and then having to slam on the brakes again because they're taking their god drat time turning left off of the highway.

sounds like you need to stick to 50kph :smug:

kastein posted:

fumblefucking

Stealing this. Thanks!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Super dick move would involve a length of chain and a padlock

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eriddy posted:

I think beating him to death is taking it a bit overboard.

violence is never the answer

I was thinking more along the lines of securing the car's the pole via its B-pillar

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm constantly amazed how many terrible, habitual tailgaiters I see driving. It doesn't seem to matter what speed, or how many people they finally pass, they will tailgate each and every person they follow.

it IS annoying as hell. Especially at night, when the person behind you has his brights on.

sod the windshield spraying game.

I have been known to put a wheel or two onto the median while at speed. Hope you enjoy sound of gravel against your paintwork.

fuckers.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

I'm sure laws vary from place to place, but what do you guys do about jaywalkers? Someone is wandering out into the four lane traffic almost every day near me. Obviously avoid hitting them, but do you really stop every time someone walks into the street?

this is a a major problem here. Our average traffic speeds are quite low, and people are frequently too fuckin lazy to use the crosswalks, and generally don't check the lights before walking across intersections.

This is multiplied by the fact that people - young men in particular - don't want to be seen as hurrying, because walking fast isn't cool. Fuckers will be partway across the street then they'll make eye contact with you and walk slower, because gently caress You.

my solution? When possible, I (a) I maintain speed (b) aim my vehicle just ahead of the point at which our paths will intercept, and (c) no eye contact.

the no eye contact is key.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Astonishing Wang posted:

Everybody chime in - What are some other state-specific names that people call out-of-towners?

Tourons.

We drive on the left, and most out-of-towners aren't in the habit of looking to the right before stepping off the curb. They are easily avoided... generally all that's needed here is a toot of the horn and a waggle of the finger.

Also, rental-car hilarity. Every rental vehicle has a huge decal attached to its dash reminding drivers to KEEP LEFT! The success rate of this sign is inversely proportional to the driver's BAC.

There is a blind 110-degree corner just up the road from my house, which is along the route to one of the more popular tourist attractions. Add a carload of tourists to one granny in an SUV with 300BHP that can't see over the wheel, mix in a bit of EtOH and smesh.

:phoneb: Good evening 911 how can I help.

(checks CallerID info)

:phoneb: oh hello BCM. Another crash?

:phone: Yeah, right in the usual spot.

:phoneb: OK. They need an ambulance and tow trucks?

:phone: No tow. They say they are OK. Best to send an ambulance and a unit to write this up.

:phoneb: Alright then. Talk to you later.

:phone: I hope not!

(mutual laughter)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

That's hilarious. Isn't it 999, though? :v:

in the BVI, sure. I'm in the USVI. ;)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Don't forget "blind drunk" as a reason for driving the wrong way down the highway. For all the times that I've been driving during what would be prime drunk driving time (New Years Eve, summer holiday weekends, Friday and Saturday night in general) thankfully I've never seen anyone blatantly weaving or going down the wrong side of the road. I did honk a few times at a taxi cab that was probably falling asleep at the wheel, I hope he wasn't drunk at 3PM.

I ended up on the wrong side of the road once while completely sober.

Couple of years back several of my friends and I were on the vacation in South Carolina, doing our usual last-night-before-going-back-to-work stripclub crawl.

(I was designated driver this time - not a drop of alcohol all night. Nothing but Red Bull and cranberry juice for me!)

We found a club somewhere around Columbia - can't remember the name of the place, but it was out in the sticks, off the main road and up on a bluff. Around 3AM or so we piled out of the place and headed back to the hotel.

The main road passing the place was a 4-lane state highway with an exceedingly wide median. The intersection was an uncontrolled one - no stoplights, and most importantly no functional streetlights.

We turned left out of there and settled in for the 45-minute drive back. After 5 minutes or so we spotted headlights in our lane - coming right at us... Holy poo poo this guy is drunk and driving on the wrong side of the road!!! I honked and flashed hi-beams, with no perceived effect... I finally got completely off the road and onto the shoulder. The "drunk" whizzed by, unperturbed. Holy poo poo he's gonna kill somebody!! I pulled a quick u-turn and started pursuing, then grabbed my cellphone and had one of the guys dial 911..

:cop: "911 emergency"

:supaburn: Hi we're going east on route 378 and are following a drunk driver! He's on the wrong side of the road! OMG OMG!

:cop: We'll dispatch an officer immediately. Do you know the cross street near your current location?

:supaburn: I don't know but we are just coming up on mile marker 141!

(Waitaminute. If we're now also going the wrong way, how come I can read the signs?)

... ohhhhh.

Apologized to the dispatcher for the mixup, hung up and drove back to the original intersection by the club, then got all the way over into the *actual* westbound lanes and drove *very* carefully back to the hotel.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

1:21:15 where he hits the back of the van and goes flying over the van to the front, then gets run over :ohdear:.

2:39 and 2:51. Bikes versus lorries.

Yah you just watched three people die. Sleep well!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

InterceptorV8 posted:

And don't even get me started on loving BLACK GHOSTS!

It's dark as gently caress, no light because light pollution is BAD, I'm going to go bicycle riding, or go for a walk, wear nothing but black, and if I'm on a bicycle, I'm not running a light and I have taken off all my reflectors.

This.

I about killed a guy last night. Similar conditions as mentioned above : no streetlights, dude wearing all dark clothing and walking in the middle of my lane with his back to traffic.

He would be dead now if not for the fact that he was wearing white sneakers. Hell - the only reason I started to slow down is because I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a white plastic shopping bag blowing down the road. Got closer and oh poo poo those are feet brake evade brake!!!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

:ussr:

But seriously, that is great. A+ for those stickers that dont come off easily.

There are a *bunch* of these videos.

They have changed the stickers. They used to be made of mylar or something similar, as the motorists were able to remove them with a single swipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBsVy-6SR4&t=61s

I realize there's a lot of judicious editing involved, but some of these Russian guys go from zero to murderdeathkill in a blink.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

looks like china is picking this up pretty well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJinVEwoAPE

reposted from the GBS china.jpg thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZ6Fwdpo0

:stonk:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kanish posted:

Come to sunny baltimore where not only do illegal packs of dirt bike riders do not follow any sort of traffic laws, but will also even beat you to a pulp if they run into you (should have stopped at your green light).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV864uSvZtI

:wtc:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Not sure if it's possible to get just the video link for this (from a news station), so just posting the link to the page.

http://www.10news.com/news/video-drunken-woman-wanders-onto-i-15-freeway

Drunk woman meandering around on I-15 at night.

Linked from the news story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s502HgQn7Vo

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fucknag posted:

brotruck

Last day of vacation. I was in the Orlando area. Decided to spend the day shopping, which included hitting a couple of salvage yards in search of a glovebox lid for my pos Durango.

The area was unfamiliar, so I was following the gps. Naturally the gps address for the place I was looking for was slightly off and on the opposite side of the road, so I was puttering along at just under the speed limit in the left lane, reading the signs, searching for the entrance.

My lack of speed apparently offended A Fella in a jacked-up horrorshow Chevy 1500 pickup, who roared up behind me, passed me on the right then swerved back into the left lane with inches to spare. The abrupt maneuver back to the left lane caused his left-front tire to kiss the median, which set off a bizarre death-wobble in the rest of his suspension.

I said "oh dear" (or words to that effect), then gassed it and popped around him to the right. No sooner than I passed him I spotted the entrance to the yard I was looking for and squirted back to the left, then into the turn lane and over to my destination.

On my way into the office I noticed the same truck pulling into the parking area. I gave a "sorry!" wave. He glared at me. Ok.

5 minutes or so later and I'm out in the yard, elbow deep in the dash of a donor Durango.

From behind me I hear footsteps, then a voice.

"Hey man, you cut my truck off like that again and imma run over that little piece of poo poo you drivin."

I half-turn - its the brotruck fella and his gf.

I finish turning - revealing the USDOJcontractor logo on my shirt... Fella then departed, gf in tow, muttering.

Why are the drivers of these trucks so angry?

And why are their gfs so loving fat?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Two armed men 16 year olds and a chase vehicle carjacked a 2015 Jeep Wrangler, video has the 911 call.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=778_1433545139

I realize that this is from a few pages back, but how the hell does anyone end up paying $40K for a bog-standard Wrangler ?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also often seen on my drive home, though not over the last few months: a black M5 with the license plate "GUILT E" -- I'm kind of curious of what, other than being in possession of a kinda stupid personalized plate.

clearly that's Dick Wolf's M5

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

The cops actively encourage you to call 911 for that. Wrong way drivers kill a lot of people, and very often a sign of DUI.
If you have good reason to suspect a DUI, you should generally call the cops.

There is a 90-degree uphill reverse-camber corner on the main road right above my house. This is a notorious accident spot for tourists with a snootfull of weed / booze / other, who go cooking into that corner with a little too much speed then suddenly remember that we drive on the left then overcorrect and smesh.

I've called in seven wrecks on that corner this year so far.

(Highest count in a year was eleven)

the 911 operators are aware of this and generally recognize my home number.

:phoneb: "911 good evening how can I help?... oh, hello mr buttcrackmenace. Another one crash?"

gently caress drunks.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

inkjet_lakes posted:

So this week my mother in law drove the 350 miles home (all motorway, a journey she's done 10 times now), and somehow managed to end up taking a 150 mile detour - literally without knowing how she managed it. At all.
For the benefit of the UK members she was driving York - Plymouth but ended up on the London side of Milton Keynes. At some point she went from driving South-West to almost due East and just kept on going. Unbelievable :cripes:

Preferred Route : Scenic [X]

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the answer is always texting

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
last night. Was coming around a dark ~45 degree corner at speed when I spotted three things :

(A) a ballcap lying just after the apex of the curve, the in my lane, right near the centerline

(B) a Person, dressed in non-reflective clothing, walking towards the corner, in my lane, ostensibly to retrieve said ballcap

(C) a motor-scooter, stopped (parked) at the end of the curve, in my lane, no lights or flashers going

went wide so as to miss the person and scooter but in doing so made certain to put two wheels over the cap

flip me off if you want, motherfucker. I just saved your life.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Typical goon interaction, destroys your property for 'your own good', expects praise for it. Meanwhile I'm sure you got thru to the scooter dude, and next time he will do everything that you expect of him because you magically transferred that knowledge to him when you ran over his cap.

blind corner, no streetlights, late at night on a Sunday, leaving an area where drinking is a Thing

guarantee that if a Jeep full of tourists-with-they-buzz-on came around that corner at speed the only thing surviving that encounter would be the hat

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just how long will a Sebring / Cirrus continue to run with no oil?

https://youtu.be/nJ0S_NJxVK0?t=170

Answer is unclear.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 31, 2015

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

graaagh

the news services all need to adopt a policy of not accepting vertically-formatted user submitted video

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Crosspost from that mechanical thingy thread because I didn't know this thread still existed:

there is a third pic in this series - its the one in which the tunnel and Roadrunner are in the process of being painted over.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
and there was a RACECAR

anna TIGER

anna ARMY MAN

anna VAGINA

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Murphys Law posted:

Is there some new trend where if you're on the highway and traffic suddenly has to slow down for a bit due to congestion you're supposed to turn your hazard lights on? I've been behind somebody who did this twice in the past few weeks.

My old driving instructor taught me this. Something happens up ahead - brake hard, slap the hazards, evade (if necessary.)

Quite surprised that's not more of a common practice.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Chrysler and BMW will pair up for future autonomous cars that randomly lock people in and cook them alive, or just run them over as soon as a door opens

Protocol7 posted:

Mustangs will come equipped with a grass detection system that will automatically engage the throttle, but only if pedestrians are also detected.

quite recently I had a brand-new (rental) Ford Transit Connect lock me out. Van was in park, engine off, windows up, keys left in the ignition.

Several non-sweary (!) phone calls later the rental company got hold of the closest Ford dealership (~75 miles away) who sent a Tech with a magic remote to open it up.

The Tech pointed out that this particular vehicle probably went directly from the dealer to the rental fleet and hadn't gone through the usual dealer prep.

First clue : the plastic covers that the factory installs over the brake discs were still in place.

Part of the prep process involves programming the onboard computer to recognize its both the remotes as well as the matching RFID chips in the keys.

The default behavior : wait 2 minutes after engine off and shutting all the doors. Poll RFID radio for stored key(s). If no response lock all doors, arm alarm.

(...see the failure?)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

When that guy came out of the truck with his hands in a 'firing' position he is lucky he didn't get run down.

:prepop: Holy poo poo.

couple of years ago I took a Protective Driving course. (I had some training money to burn, thanks Uncle Sam!)

at the point that fellow emerged from the truck the appropriate measures would have been (a) highbeams (b) low gear (c) follow an escape path which is opposite the direction of the aggressor's vehicle.

In this case the escape path would have been straight ahead - truck on the left, pole and trees on the right.

the fact that the guy emerged close to with his hands in a firing position meant 100% run him the gently caress down.

also : reversing away from a gumnan at close quarters is A Bad Plan as it gives him more time to shoot at you

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Interesting.

also : the guy in the Camry is not in the wrong.

Look at the second video.
- the driver's view of the police unit was obstructed by the cars in the other two lanes
- the officer switched on lights but no siren
- the officer failed to completely clear the intersection before crossing against the light

Hope the Camry driver retains decent counsel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

B4Ctom1 posted:

These are the latin americans you share the road with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjNxDt8d1o

:prepop:

also : why was someone recording a random Yaris