Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

I have to think Alberta's still the reigning champion in the per-capita "assholes who can't use the left lane properly" rate. Apart from the usual idiots, I was driving out to BC last weekend with my Dad, and we came upon multiple people who decided they absolutely needed to be in the passing lane on the Trans-Canada (where, on certain stretches, you don't get them all that often). Several of them actually, upon moving into the right lane to let us pass (only about half of the people were bright enough to do this), resumed driving in the left-hand lane afterward.

We have "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs all along. What more do we need?

As an Albertan, I just want to point out that you are in the left lane already when the passing lane begins, so why waste gas and tire tread moving over?

(Yeah I don't know, I always pull over unless I'm passing someone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

Thank God I don't live in a place where it snows.

Snow is fine. Know you're going to take a lot longer to get places. Don't lock your wheels, don't spin your wheels. Leave yourself plenty of room. Don't try to change speed or direction quickly. Don't panic. I hear winter tires help alot, but I've never needed them. When you try to get going, take your loving time to get started, THEN, accelerate up to speed. There is always ice right before the stop line, do most of your stopping before it. Also the ice has probably been polished to a mirror shine by the assholes spinning their tires on it trying to get going.

Remember if you tense up, you are going to loose control.

See? Easy.

edit: I just realized all our snow in Calgary this year has been Friday evening til Sunday Morning. (And we have another winter storm warning for tonight!) The morning after a big snow is loving terrible in this province.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 16, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrChips posted:

Dear Motorists,

It's snowing now, and that means your vehicle is likely covered in the stuff. That means it is time to CLEAN YOUR loving VEHICLE OFF, INCLUDING THE ROOF. That means you too, chucklefucks in minivans, SUVs and lifted pick-ups.

That is all.:tipshat:

I'm a minivan driver and if it's less than a couple inches, I don't bother with the roof. I live in Airdrie though so it's all off my car by the time I hit Calgary.

Also got the joy of some dumbass in an Escalade going on and off her brakes because she was tailgating some poor sucker in the slickest conditions we've had all year. I fell back a couple extra car lengths because I was sure she was going to make me have to emergency stop.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Solar Coaster posted:

These are the people you share the road with.

I like how everyone just walks away at the end like "whelp, gently caress that guy."

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

Hard parking dot com! Seeing that video of the BMW X5, I didn't know those fuckers where so buff, I don't care but that takes some skill to monster truck cars like that.

I wish there was sound available on the vid, because it looks like it was really limping as it drove off camera.

In Alberta shops won't work on a vehicle with over $1000 of damage without a police damage sticker. Do other places have that? Because all those accidents look like they would require some serious repair to the offending vehicle.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I believe in Alberta they recently raised the amount to $2000 or thereabouts. Regardless many shops do expect you to have the accident reporting sticker.

I had a co worker who had a maintenance guy at his townhouse scratch up his van with a snowblower and no one would give him a quote until he filed a police report which pissed off the landscape contractor (who didn't want any record of it)

I'm gonna throw out a wild guess that the insurance industry is who pushed for the practice.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Geoj posted:

Actually I think the desire to get out of the car is more "I don't want to be in this car when someone comes careening into it at 50+ MPH." Safest place to be would have been on the other side of the center divider.

I saw a guy dead on the freeway yesterday because he decided to get out and survey damage. Turns out the ice that you slip on, is probably where the next person is going to lose control.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I failed my first attempt before the instructor even got in the car. Signal light burned out.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Krakkles posted:

I wonder if there's a way to wire up a button / switch to add "don't shift into 1, you dipshit" functionality.

I have a 2010 Grand Caravan with the six speed. It doesn't have manual select it has "Electronic Range Limitation" meaning it will not go ABOVE the selected gear. But if you have it set to 2 it will happily shift to 1 whenever it wants to.

On the other hand it's handy as hell on the Highway for passing, and with 6 speeds you can drop a couple cogs without the engine red-lining.

edit: I'm wrong, acutally, you can't force it to make dangerous downshifts by selecting a lower gear, it will wait to change down until your speed is low enough.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InitialDave posted:

• It was taught to you when you learned to drive that it was correct not to indicate if there was no-one around to indicate to, and you didn't spot someone was there.
No, really, they actually did this, hilariously oblivious to the fact that just because you didn't spot someone doesn't mean there isn't someone there, and the indicator might give enough warning to avoid an accident. loving ridiculous.

• Arm is out the window. Signal stalk too far away.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

gileadexile posted:

Saw/juuuuust avoided a hellacious accident this morning while driving the work van.

Apparently the driver of the black car is pregnant, passes out. Hits the city scraper, which jerks out of the lane enough to hit the white SUV and spun it all the way around, into my lane and halfway up that rock wall. My coworker assisted while I gave protective oversight. It was a pucker inducing experience.

The worst almost accident I had was when I was being passed by a guy hauling a boat through one of the worst March storms I've ever driven in (lots of wind and rapidly dropping temperatures combined with thick draughts of blown snow) when an explorer came flying out of the center ditch and hit him, sending the whole works into my lane.

Brake, evade, say prayer of thanks for Bosch ABS + EBA, and made sure that no one was hurt, get the guy from the truck into my car out of the wind until the cops arive, etc.

On the drive home I finaly notice the coffee on my instrument cluster. Then the engine oil on my windscreen from the truck's drivetrain coming apart. He came within literal incehs of hitting me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Crankit posted:

What's the feeling about people who have their fog lights on all the time?

if you're driving a Mustang GT from the '05 redesign, your fog lights should be mandatory for the sheer pleasure of the other drivers.

Even in my drive like an rear end in a top hat days I happily pulled over to the slow lane to let those mean looking motherfuckers pass me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

thought of this thread

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...speeding-truck/

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Uthor posted:

I let me niece sit in my car in my parents' garage. I came back to it with the lights, turn signal, wipers, and flashers all on, radio off, and shifter out of gear. This is the three year old I share a garage with.

(I was watching her the whole time and she's adorable.)

pshh, at that age my dad was letting me shift his truck, and my grampa was letting me steer the tractor.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

blk posted:

a Mini parked across four spots

OK, that's actually kind of impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Back in Canada on long hauls along the 401, which in my part of the world is just four lanes through a crapload of granite and pine trees with rare exits to tiny towns, I used to regularly get zombies trailing along behind me for dozens of kilometers. If I sped up, they'd speed up, slow down they slow down, drift over the line they'd drift over the line too. When I noticed it happening, my favorite thing to do was to slowly lead them over to the rumble strips on the side of the highway, and watch in the mirror for them to suddenly jolt awake and swerve back into the road.

Maybe a dick move but I told myself I was just waking them up a little :v:

Not a dick move at all. The adrenaline rush probably helped keep them awake too.