Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

When you guys say "Fords", do you mean "Focus(es)"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dr.Smasher posted:

If it's like the rental Hyundai I had several years ago, it's because the gauge cluster lights don't work at all. God that car sucked.

Ford used the world's worst 194 bulbs in the late '90s / through at least the early '00s. My Ranger had one working cluster bulb when I bought it, and the stupid thing is it's maybe an hour of easy work to swap them all.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Krakkles posted:

When you guys say "Fords", do you mean "Focus(es)"?

It's either that, or by "First generation Fords," they mean the first Model A.

....im not sure if those had any lights at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Theris posted:

It's either that, or by "First generation Fords," they mean the first Model A.

....im not sure if those had any lights at all.

The model T was Ford's first car, and it had acetylene lights until nearly 1920. The Model A didn't come around until nearly the 30s.

It used Prest-o-lite tanks, but common welding tank sizes B (40 cu ft) and MC (10 cu ft) designation relate to "Bus" and "Motorcycle" and are still used today as designators for acetylene tank sizing.

Thank you for subscribing to tankfacts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

It used Prest-o-lite tanks, but common welding tank sizes B (40 cu ft) and MC (10 cu ft) designation relate to "Bus" and "Motorcycle" and are still used today as designators for acetylene tank sizing.

Thanks. I used to have an empty piece of brain, and now I don't.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Verdugo posted:

Insanity on the Gulf Coast last night. I went with my son to pick up some furniture in a box truck, we had no trouble getting there and back, but good lord. We saw no less than four accidents on the way home, one a three-car fatality. We got home, unloaded, and left the truck in front of the house because with no accidents there was physically no way to bring the truck back to where it needed to go, as all routes were shut off due to accidents.

Woke up this morning and found out further down the highway there was a 47 car pileup.

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/01/24/5284048/officials-warn-drivers-of-icy.html

Part of the problem? Roads iced up, counties didn't bother buying salt / sand because it's the gulf coast and it never gets cold.

I'm so glad I moved out of there just in time. I used to travel on I-10E/W a lot from Mississippi to Louisiana and back, and just daily driving on there was enough to get me pissed every time I drove. People doing 90 in the fast lane and 50 in the slow lane, people cutting each other and semis off, no taillights at night, and so on. I could only imagine the insanity a thin sheet of ice on the road would add to it. At least people around here know how to drive (for the most part, anyhow) during snow & ice since it happens every year. also, the salt trucks here are awesome in how quick they get out.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

The model T was Ford's first car, and it had acetylene lights until nearly 1920. The Model A didn't come around until nearly the 30s.

I was talking about the brass era Model A(which was Ford's first production car), not the prohibition era gangstermobile Model A. :colbert:

vvvv In those cars, if you hit something hard enough to puncture the acetylene tanks, you were probably dead well before the possible explosion. vvvv

Theris fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 27, 2014

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
So in an early car crash there wasn't just the danger of the crash but also an acetylene explosion?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Crankit posted:

So in an early car crash there wasn't just the danger of the crash but also an acetylene explosion?

So on a totally related note, here's a great set of photos of early car crashes in and around Boston.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/sets/72157626646768526/

Based on what I'm seeing in these photos, I doubt you'd need to worry too much about an acetylene explosion if you were in a car wreck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drivers were really bad at avoiding bodies of water in those days, huh?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Do new Ford Fusions not have a gas cap or something that requires a higher level of IQ to add fuel? I was at a very busy gas station, so I pulled in behind someone who had just parked at a pump. They got out of their car, opened the fuel door, and then just stared at it for a while. They opened their car door to say something to the passenger (I couldn't hear a word of their conversation) and the passenger got out of the car and went to stare at the fuel door. They poked and prodded it with their hands and the fuel filler for a while longer, the passenger got back in and the driver went into the station. A couple minutes later the driver came out, put the hose in and might have added fuel for about 10 seconds or so before giving up and driving off. I really want to know how that guy if ever got fuel. . . and how the hell did he ever pass a driving test???

My wife's Fiesta has the same setup. There's no gas cap. Just insert hose and pump. For all appearances, it's the same setup as the 93 Toyota Pickups, just minus the cap. There's a little plastic funnel if you need to fill it from a can or whatever, so uh, all you need to do is just insert the gas pump and pump away.

Mindboggling.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Until it breaks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

So on a totally related note, here's a great set of photos of early car crashes in and around Boston.

Based on what I'm seeing in these photos, I doubt you'd need to worry too much about an acetylene explosion if you were in a car wreck.

Truck crashes through garage several stories up East Cambridge by Boston Public Library, on Flickr

oh nooooooo

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
He was just adding extra ventilation.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Saw this yesterday. Seems secure enough, right?

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I saw someone driving a hatchback with a dog in the back swerve in front of a GMC Yukon and brake check it. Good job trying to kill your own dog!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

beepo posted:

I saw someone driving a hatchback with a dog in the back swerve in front of a GMC Yukon and brake check it. Good job trying to kill your own dog!
That's even worse than the people who shove their pram out to try and get cars to stop for them.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Motronic posted:

Stupid tankfacts, ruining my joke about Henry Ford saying "Daytime running lights? It's called the sun."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

No guardrails probably, just pedestrian railings. All of the public infrastructure to protect bad drivers didn't exist because we generally assumed that people knew they were operating a dangerous machine in public.

It's crazy how much some of those frames crumpled considering the relatively low speeds they were travelling at. The one with the hydrant is scary.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

"EDITH! Grab the kids there's something crazy outside - an auto has wrecked!"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

xzzy posted:

The fencing & barriers were built to guide people & horses & such with some basic sense of situational awareness while being mobile within the momentum boundaries of their biology...self-propelled vehicles changed that dynamic entirely, both in terms of mass & momentum, both of which overcame those flimsy fences, and led to a whole new discipline of traffic engineering. We now have break-away light poles & fireplugs, and those photos show why they came to be.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

All that single-pane glass :cry:

Possible :nws: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/7343022218/in/set-72157626646768526/ I hope that's a wig. :stare:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 28, 2014

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Go Austin! The roads were worse last week but we wrecked more cars today.

http://www.kvue.com/news/EMS-reporting-crashes-in-Northwest-Austin-242369251.html

On my short five mile drive in to work at 8am I cross 5 bridges. There was an accident on 4 out of the 5. As I made my way down the freeway, I watched in amazement at the number of people that were doing just fine until they got to a bridge. When they saw the ice on the bridge that's when they'd tap the brake and loop the car into the rail.

It's not tough, people. Point the car in a straight line across the bridge, let off the gas a touch, and coast right on across. No problem.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The following distance! :stare:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-25933664

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The following distance is completely insane, but man am I ever glad I don't live in the UK. I'm not condoning that sort of behavior, but I'd be lying if I said I'd never driven close to that speed on the highway. However, I did it in the wee hours of the morning when there wasn't another car in sight. I just hope that a big part of that 3 year license suspension and 300 hours unpaid work sentence was based on the following distance and (given that it was daytime) proximity of other motorists. Also, I have to wonder how powerful the zoom lens on that camera is.

Edit: Given that it says 288 m in the corner, that's a lot of zoom in use there, so the following distance isn't anywhere near as close as it looks.

Edit again: I stand corrected, that's nuts.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 29, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The following distance is completely insane, but man am I ever glad I don't live in the UK. I'm not condoning that sort of behavior, but I'd be lying if I said I'd never driven close to that speed on the highway. However, I did it in the wee hours of the morning when there wasn't another car in sight. I just hope that a big part of that 3 year license suspension and 300 hours unpaid work sentence was based on the following distance and (given that it was daytime) proximity of other motorists. Also, I have to wonder how powerful the zoom lens on that camera is.

Edit: Given that it says 288 m in the corner, that's a lot of zoom in use there, so the following distance isn't anywhere near as close as it looks.
There's a brief video clip if you go to the link. They really are that close.

Used to be, yeah, in the middle of the night you could go out and double a speed limit and nothing would come of it, but there's just so many drat cameras nowadays. Of course, go back to the mid-sixties, and the motorways weren't limited anyway...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Edit again: I stand corrected, that's nuts.

There's a time and a place, and it's the track.

But I don't do it either. Any straight rode in the middle of nowhere is an invitation to open up 6 gears for me. That buzz doesn't last tho, it's much more satisfying to hook up a curve just right.

Today I was on my way to work and the fuckin' school bus had the nerve to be stopped right in the middle of the road in front of the school! I had to wait like, 30 seconds, then I see these little shits walking out to the bus. Not only that, but one of them ran back inside, taking like another 30 seconds! I was stopped for a full minute and a half before the bus started moving. Who the hell are their parents? Why the hell do they feel entitled to take the bus and block traffic in the street? They got out early to get on the bus while all of the other kids were still inside. All the other kid's parents were parked outside, not blocking the road at all. All because a stupid rear end lazy parent can't pick up their kid and park on the side of the street, a bus has to block the road,making me late for work? How is this right? I was so pissed off about this at work (an after school program) that I just started smackin' kids in the back of the head then pretending I didn't know what happened. That oughta show em.

I don't see how this could be legal so I'm getting ready to call my representative and write the governor and see if something can't be done about these rear end in a top hat parents and their smelly crotch-spawn.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nsaP posted:

Today I was on my way to work and the fuckin' school bus had the nerve to be stopped right in the middle of the road in front of the school! I had to wait like, 30 seconds, then I see these little shits walking out to the bus. Not only that, but one of them ran back inside, taking like another 30 seconds! I was stopped for a full minute and a half before the bus started moving. Who the hell are their parents? Why the hell do they feel entitled to take the bus and block traffic in the street? They got out early to get on the bus while all of the other kids were still inside. All the other kid's parents were parked outside, not blocking the road at all. All because a stupid rear end lazy parent can't pick up their kid and park on the side of the street, a bus has to block the road,making me late for work? How is this right? I was so pissed off about this at work (an after school program) that I just started smackin' kids in the back of the head then pretending I didn't know what happened. That oughta show em.

I see nuance went waaaay over your head a long time ago. Or you're just a really lovely troll/massively entitled parent who thinks the world owes you a favor for procreating.

A bus picking up or dropping off children in a reasonable manner =! stopping traffic and causing major traffic snarls any time a parent needs to exit a parking lot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nsaP posted:

But I don't do it either. Any straight rode in the middle of nowhere is an invitation to open up 6 gears for me. That buzz doesn't last tho, it's much more satisfying to hook up a curve just right.

I don't see how this could be legal so I'm getting ready to call my representative and write the governor and see if something can't be done about these rear end in a top hat parents and their smelly crotch-spawn.

You really are an insufferable twat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You made your point on this ages ago. Shut the gently caress up already.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've been to a lot of states, but here in rural Pennsylvania, it's loving maddening with people not accelerating fast enough out of green lights. Every time the light turns green, you'll see the brake lights go off, then people going through the intersection without even a tap of the accelerator. I've been in situations where I was the second or third in line at a red light, and still won't get through until I see two green lights. This is in 45mph-and-up zones as well, so more often than not, they'll never reach the speed limit, and hit every red light on the way. It used to take me 10 minutes to get to State College every day going the speed limit, and now it takes up to 45 minutes.

Also, people don't know the hell how to merge into highways this state. Normally, you see a spot you can get into, adjust your speed to the flow of traffic, and then merge at an opportunity. Here, people will go whatever speed they want, and everyone else has to conform to them, no matter how heavy the traffic is. They also don't switch over into a spot. More often than not, they just drive on the on-ramp until it ends into traffic. This would be fine if there was a single highway with more than two lanes in this state.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Am I in the wrong for feeling a little annoyed upon rounding a descending corner in the snow to be presented with these guys trying to race each over up the hill to a soon to shut mountain? They might look a fair way off, but I'm on a bend unable to brake and even then locking up straight away with no 'my side' to aim for. It went as well as it could have done. Kept out of the dubious wooden crash barrier and traded wing mirrors with the overtaker.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Am I in the wrong for feeling a little annoyed

Yes, because you should be a lot angrier. A friend of mine drat near got killed due to the same type of thing - truck broke down (out of gas, but he didn't know it yet - gauge wasn't working right) off the side of an off-ramp, when two morons refused to let each other by come flying side-by-side up the ramp. One of them punts the back end of his truck hard enough to leave the rear axle underneath the cab.

Said friend was working under the hood at the time of impact. Got knocked unconscious and lost a tooth if I recall, but honestly it was a goddamn miracle he wasn't killed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Well yeah, sorry to hear that about your mate, its the idiotic red mist I guess, we were lucky as hell thanks to no skill from anyone. Whilst the guy was pretty shaken up, he still claimed it was 50/50 which indicates the level of denial people can maintain. He didn't know my gormless brother had been in the backseat trying to take photos of the view and accidentally caught this pretty compelling evidence - he flat out said he hadn't been overtaking?!?!

We both stopped and I ran up and tried to say here, details ,ring me lets get out of here, but he wanted to play with his mirror for ages. Another car came down and narrowly avoided us as it was, we just needed to get out of the way to avoid a secondary accident as some poor sod piled into one of us.

People.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Saw/juuuuust avoided a hellacious accident this morning while driving the work van.

Apparently the driver of the black car is pregnant, passes out. Hits the city scraper, which jerks out of the lane enough to hit the white SUV and spun it all the way around, into my lane and halfway up that rock wall. My coworker assisted while I gave protective oversight. It was a pucker inducing experience.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

nsdaP posted:

Or it's someplace called Germany, where in the right place and time somehow it's no longer OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN INSANITY and just another day on the highway. The British press have perfected the art of masturbating to turning the slightest, victimless infraction into a catastrophe only equalled by the Bay of Pigs or the Eastern Front.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
British drivers aren't trained for nor are their roads designed for those speeds; and their following distance was way too close regardless. Risk is a cost, and those you put at risk without their consent are victims.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Or it's someplace called Germany, where in the right place and time somehow it's no longer OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN INSANITY and just another day on the highway. The British press have perfected the art of masturbating to turning the slightest, victimless infraction into a catastrophe only equalled by the Bay of Pigs or the Eastern Front.
I just want to say, I see what you did, and I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Krakkles posted:

I just want to say, I see what you did, and I like it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)