Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think even just having a cop wandering around will probably discourage the behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TrueChaos posted:

Some of them, maybe. The 416 will forever be a wasteland of good winter driving. When I can pass your hummer (who is doing 40km/h) in my miata, in the outside lane that has about 6" of snowpack, then proceed back to doing 80-90km/h in the relatively clearish right lane, you're doing it wrong. This happens every time I drive the 416 in a snowstorm, without fail. Last night it was a hummer, the time before that multiple 4x4 trucks, a few jeeps, many other suv's, etc. I enjoy that people aren't generally speeding, but if all you can manage is 40km/h when most of the traffic is managing 80-90 (even the transports! watching them pull into the left lane and slide the trailer around while going past someone is both sphincter clenching and awesome at the same time) get off the loving road.

Last year I was driving to work in my Miata (which had a bum thermostat and therefore no heat) and came across a man who had crashed his brand-new Pathfinder into the ditch. The look of pure inarticulate rage on his face when he realized his eight ton elephantitis 4x4 was incapable of doing something my tiny gay car was happily doing with its friendly frog face is something I will always treasure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

8ender posted:

With RWD trucks and SUVs they seem to stay stable on the slippery stuff a little longer because of their weight versus a RWD car. That weight really works against them though when they move past that point and start sliding.

I find a lot of people aren't prepared for just how difficult it is to bring a giant SUV back into line when that point is reached because they rarely experience it.

This is a lot of words to say "he was a poo poo aggressive driver who thought he could pass on the right with glorified all-seasons in two inches of snow on top of ice at highway speeds."

Seriously, it was textbook overdriving for the conditions. The look of anger and confusion on his face as he tried to puzzle out where his invincible SUV had failed him was my reward for being a sane driver and not mashing the gas pedal to the floor while red misting. I'm not gonna dong it up on a crowded highway where everyone is going 20 under the limit on my open-diff short-wheelbase RWD convertible while I'm half asleep.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 3, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
He's not a mechanic, he just loves lovely plastic cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Is like the opposite of "cold weather packages" you get on new cars sold in the north? Cars sold in the south are equipped with a thermite grenade that goes off when ice is detected?

No, the driver probably got stuck on ice, applied more throttle to make it go faster, and redlined the engine until it grenaded. You see it here once in awhile, usually on a very steep hill like the one pictured.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Actually coolant has a lower boiling point than pure water. :eng101:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Huh. Why do cars run 50-50 then? I always thought coolant reduced the specific heat capacity of the mixture and therefore lowered the boiling point :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh, there we go. AI has taught me a valuable life lesson. Thanks, Nag.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That one isn't as impressive because we all know a Beetle would fit in that vending machine.

We also know that white Beetles can cut themselves in half to win road races and then reattach at high speeds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

I've heard that out of everything, including headlights, fuel pumps and ignition systems, the biggest current draw on a car is the defroster. Cadillacs that came with heated windshields in the 90's had an additional wiring harness that tapped directly into a beefed-up 140 amp alternator. The draw from such a system on a 53'x8' surface would be tremendous, you'd be better off coating the top and underside of the trailer with rain-x or that new NeverWet stuff.

This wouldn't surprise me. Based how loud the sound of the relay clicking on and off is, the defroster must have massive draw on all the Subaru wagons I've ever owned.

Not exactly a scientific rationale, but hey. Must be like running a toaster.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It turns out the secret to world peace was Mustangs all along.

I saw a historical drama on TV the other day where a recent immigrant to Japan defeated a gang and restored peace to the downtrodden with the use of his father's imported Mustang.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The brake is the "Something Is Happening That I Don't Want" pedal. Being a fellow Albertan you should know this intuitively from every jackhole who enters a corner below the yellow-sign speed and then brakes the entire time through it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Exactly what car bras do to cars. I've seen some ruined front ends from them.

I saw a great one where the dealer installed car bra was held in place with a wood screw that was drilled into the exterior of the bumper cover on each side. Underneath the car bra was nothing but decades of pine needles and poplar fluff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Some vehicles make you do that in order to start them. :confused:

I think every car has made you do that for quite some time. For awhile in the 80s Dodge put the "apply brake to shift from park" sticker on the Caravans and then didn't bother actually implementing the interlock which led to some horrific news stories when Little Jimmy got left alone in the van and, lacking Facebook and Candy Crush, experimented with the column shift lever.

Audi did the same, and only added the sticker after their unintended acceleration debacle.

What's the German equivalent of Engrish? This label qualifies.

I assume at some point actually doing the interlock became federal law.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 23, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

rcman50166 posted:

Also, have this picture a buddy of mine took in North Carolina:

There just isn't a back window

I got one of those with a Tercel wagon just outside Nanton a few years ago. He made himself a window, though...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Today I was behind a tank commander who apparently rethought things partway through his commute, because he was leaning out his open door so he could reach around and scrape his windshield while rolling down the road at ~35 mph.

A couple years ago I was behind a Lexus RX (a vehicle equipped with a heated windshield, I assume) where the lady driving it rolled down her drivers' door, leaned out and was thrashing the drivers' side windshield wiper at highway speeds to dislodge the ice crust.

I stayed behind it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Everyone in Canada has done it at a stop light. Nobody I know has done it at 100kph.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Reminds me of the guy in a Corolla I saw the other day who had smashed his front bumper into a snowbank but had crudely lashed it back on with duct tape that wasn't holding at 100kph. Just take it off, it's not like you have all the pieces and it's not like the bodyshop is gonna bother meticulously putting it back together again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nsaP posted:

I'll be okay with the retina burn once cars start adjusting the light intensity for how hard the driver is hitting the pedal.

The Euro cars with the two-stage brake lights are starting to teach me just how many people on my morning commute bomb up to a stopped car with little/no braking and then slam the brake pedal to the floor at the last second on ice.

There was some lady in front of me with a Volvo who went to panic brake mode even trying to maintain normal street speed while rolling downhill. You could see the brake lights cascade through the "normal braking" mode and straight into "oh poo poo" every time she went near the pedal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

Do insurance companies have to start denying coverage if you were on your phone? Will the cops treat any usage like a DUI?
Both my insurance company and the police were very interested in whether or not either driver in my recent parking lot totalling (yup) were on their cellphone at the time.

My insurance company asked me about four times.

It's a fine here if you are on your cellphone or otherwise distracted while operating your car; they are talking about escalating it to demerits because blitzes by the cops aren't doing much to dent the accident rates where one is involved.

I would imagine it gets entered into the insurance company's internal "was someone breaking traffic law at the time" calculation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So there was a normal kind of hit & run drunk story where I am, but then this part of the article appeared:

quote:

Finally, he returned to the parking lot where it all began. Some concerned citizens forced him to stop and slashed his tires.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/crime-and-justice/nabbed+after+returning+scene+twice/9594375/story.html

I've been to that bar. It's in the suburbs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Jesus. I'm glad you're alive.. I hope everything heals up fast and true for you.

This is why I always hate passing huge SUVs in turn lanes, because I know from experience that it blocks at least the adjacent two lanes from my perspective in a normal car.

I still see people blowing through turns with reckless abandon, because hashtag yolo or something. I've also had people tailgate me through a turn I felt dodgy on, only to nearly get into a t-bone when I myself just barely clear the intersection in time.

My city's started building all of their major expressways in an 'offset' way so the turn lanes are separated from the main lanes and are facing one another, but you can only really do that when you've designed it to do that.. every other major intersection in the city is difficult to see through when you're at the same grade.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

In a perfect world, every time three lanes has to merge down to two, or two to one, there would be three warning signs. At the first one would be a giant flailing arm inflatable tube man, to draw attention. At the second one would be a thirty foot tall grim reaper, holding the "Right Lane Closes, Merge left" sign in his bony hands, out over the lanes.

At the final, scrolling-lamp erectable traffic sign would be a tractor trailer full of RPGs, and a single man standing in the back. Any car that he witnesses diving right, because the line is shorter, gets a godamned RPG through the windshield.

RPGs are expensive, and bad for emissions. I much prefer that the license plate be recorded and a pack full of wild dogs is waiting in their home for them when they return.

Natural. Personal. Everyone likes dogs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 12, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is why you need to get the 5-ton repaired and also find a legislative loophole that allows you to drive it.

Then apply the aforementioned PA system we spoke about. Ain't nobody gonna refuse to move over when that thing wants to pass. If that thing can pass.

I AM IN A COROLLA AND FEELIN' GOOD ABOUT LIFE. GOIN' THIRTY IN A SEVENTY BECAUSE FAST IS SCARY.

(A howling turbo whine sounds as if from far away. The trees stir.)

WAIT WHAT'S THAT

(Giant headlights appear in the rear view mirror.)

OH gently caress

(KMFDM's Xtort album begins to play through a scratchy Cold War-era loudspeaker. The whine builds as the massive turbo spools, causing the rear view mirror to vibrate against the windshield, before breaking loose and falling to the floor.)

gently caress

poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL

(pirouettes into a bridge abutment)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 13, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

GramCracker posted:

My Driver's Ed school had A LOT of old lovely movies from the late 70's. Mainly consisting of black and white video footage from the 40's and 50's of people wrapping their cars around solid objects and mangled bodies with the accompanying theme of "Speeding Kills!" What sticks out most in my memories from Driver's Ed was this video about road rage and how these two people we share the road with literally pulled over to the side of the road to duke it out, only to find that one person we share the road with had a crossbow in his trunk and proceeded to shoot the other person we shared the road with. :wtc:

While it's no Red Asphalt, the MST3K takeoff of Last Clear Chance is the best driving safety video in the history of mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not sure how to feel today. There's a lady who blazes around the city in her little Toyota Matrix doing lab supply deliveries in the area where I drive to go to work. She's almost hit me weekly for several years, and I've never seen her drive normally.

This isn't normal delivery-person craziness either: She takes corners in the middle of the road (driving down the centre line), changes multiple lanes at highway speed without signalling, drives way the gently caress too fast, blows reds and cuts me off when I have the right of way and she has the yield.

Today it was a little icy and she managed to get sandwiched between two half-ton Dodge Rams. And then an Altima and a Santa Fe rear ended the Ram that rear ended her.

She was fine, but sometimes karma does exist. When I left the responding police officer was writing her enough tickets to choke a dog.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I love going exactly the speed limit in the playground zone to watch the self aggrandizing pricks in my rear view mirror spontaneously disassemble.

Also, I didn't realize it was spring break and I went the school zone speed limit today. So did everyone else in the zone with me this morning.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 25, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think he is in a county that values human life over traffic inconvenience. He could have probably blasted that kid into the great beyond and sued the parents for denting his car.

Mine says that pedestrians always have the right of way. If I blast a jaywalker it's my fault, unless "they were asking for it" (determined by the police) in which case the jaywalker gets a ticket.

I got a ticket for getting run over in a marked crosswalk by a grandmother in a Reliant who knew how to use her horn but not her brakes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

The problem with crosswalks that have the button activated lights is that most people are idiots and don't press the button.

I have almost mowed down a couple of people at night who just walk into the crosswalk without looking. It pisses me off to no end.

Yesterday I stopped for a guy who was stepping off the crosswalk without hitting the button. Then I almost got rear-ended because the inbred behind me couldn't figure out that I had come to a full stop in the six blocks he had to travel before he came up to me.

Then a Taurus turning left from the cross-street almost ran the crossing dude over in the crosswalk, not seeing him as he hadn't hit the button to make the wig-wags go off.

It's easy to see how dumb poo poo like this happens. I'm always on high alert at that crosswalk because people will jaywalk or jump out into traffic from behind a stopped bus without looking. An intersection a block away had two cars hit the same pedestrian at once last year. A Sable took her down, fled and then a Lexus ran her body over a few minutes afterward and fled.

Only the Sable ever turned himself in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Crotch Fruit posted:

I was a horrible driver one day, I was waiting to make a left turn on a regular light, yielding to the oncoming traffic. I saw a sufficient opening and floored it, the next thing I saw was a middle aged guy on an electric wheel chair complete with tubes and other poo poo. He was about a foot away from the lane I was turning into and swerved and braked. I didn't hit him, just scared him real bad and probably pissed off the cross traffic. I still feel like an rear end hole for that incident. :blush:

Don't feel too bad, this guy did it even without oncoming traffic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkSzxdolSo

This guy wins the prize for red light running though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVtMhU5Y9s

I hope the prize is a straight razor to the throat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw a guy in a new Mazda 6 loop his car at playground-zone speeds this morning by turning right a little aggressively and lifting as soon as the back end started to step out. It was sort of incredible, I haven't seen a spinout that slow before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
BC is chock full of loving lovely drivers. The local news is featuring some of the great dashcam compilations that are from that region.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=314968

This guy does the compilations: https://www.youtube.com/user/xSupaD

Here's a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzx5PpZAyl0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

a real rear end nigga posted:

whats the best use of money if I want extremely loud horn(s)? Had a girl slowly try to switch lanes into me without looking despite me holding down the horn the whole time.

It was pretty funny because we then pulled up to a red light and she would have been right beside me but she stopped like 4 car lengths back. At least she was ashamed I guess.

Fiamm Highway Blasters are louder than Supertones and much much cheaper.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

But they're not round and red, so even if you do put them right in your grille, nobody knows you have them.

If you're buying Hella Supertones and you haven't had the horn grille powdercoated hot pink I don't even know what to say to you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

I have always wanted to get a car with a BOV and mount a chord set of organ pipes on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx35BcQFpkA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ringo Star Get posted:

Been collecting videos to show to my students for drivers education and this one shows why A.) you use crosswalks, B.) don't stop and be the "nice guy" to wave a pedestrian through while jaywalking, and C.) PAY ATTENTION TO OTHER CARS JESUS CHRIST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4npzMM3cM

Man since the invention of dashcams drivers ed has got to be off the hook. We just had gory Australian safety videos.

Universities are, in my limited experience, a den of jaywalkin' though. Whenever I'm at my local one I'm always half the speed limit with my foot covering the brake.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 5, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just used my Miata's tiny horn to keep an oblivious cellphone driver in a GMC Acadia from running over two kids in a crosswalk. She then proceeded to hammer the gas to get away from me, the source of her shame.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I got smoked in a crosswalk in high school by a granny in a Reliant who had enough time to find her horn but not enough time to stop from a full block away at 50kph. A cop witnessed the whole thing and promptly wrote me a ticket.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Captain Bravo posted:

The first time my dad put me in the driver's seat of his truck for a lesson, we were driving down the highway and he told me to make a left turn into a parking lot.

So I tried to signal the turn by pushing up on the bar that stuck out of the left side of the steering column. :downs:

Needless to say, we tried the second lesson in the beat-to-poo poo Camero they had bought me for my first car. :v:

The first time I got to drive my dad's truck I left the parking brake on. The next summer I got to learn how to replace a drum brake on a half-ton Chevy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

I need real horns.

These look like they'll do a better job than anything that doesn't require air, and be a bit less annoying than raping a few Cadillacs in the junkyard (since at least 1 of the horns is always dead on them by the time I get there...)

Have you taken a look at the Fiamm Freeway Blaster? They're like $20 and obscenely loud. 130dB is soundly (ha) in the "not loving around" category.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ