Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Whoop whoop, that looked about 110-120. What was that, a BMW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Murphys Law posted:

Even worse are the assholes who won't bother to brush however many inches of snow off their car after a heavier snow storm. They just clear their windows, sometimes not even completely, then hit the roads and highways still covered in a thick layer of snow. gently caress these lazy assholes.

Why is this a problem? I'm not going to meticulously clear off my car after a significant snowstorm. I clear the windows, lights, license plate, brush off the hood and the roof a bit, that's it.

:wtf:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 14, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Geirskogul posted:

659-SVJ is the license plate of the fucker that tried (honestly tried) to kill me while I was on my motorcycle a few weeks ago. Never forget

I gotta say that story from pages ago was really harrowing man, well-written too. Glad you're okay, that guy was terrible.

kastein posted:

gently caress everyone who doesn't clean their roof off, I hope they die of cancer.

There's a relatively high chance they will. :unsmith: I will take more time doing this in the future.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Parking on a slant in the sun or using a truck wash seems like it would take care of situations where snow does build up.

Failing that, a ladder and a snow rake should be sufficient right?

You've overlooked an important part of human nature regarding effort/time spent. There's a term called 'externalities', which basically means benefits/costs that are imposed on other, external people in the course of or lack of an action. When taking time to clear off the roof of a truck provides absolutely no benefit to the driver, and it's extremely unlikely there would be any consequences to the driver for not clearing the roof, there is very little incentive and therefore very little chance that any driver would do so.

Similar with cars. People are self-serving and that can be pretty bad!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

rcman50166 posted:

I have been posting nearly exclusively in GBS recently. It's hard to adjust.

I'm glad to see so many people getting mad over that though, it is the correct response.

Edit: my lovely L200 isn't fast enough :(

Why, what's the appeal over there?? New GBS drives me away just reading it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Terrible Robot posted:

The new GBS was irritating at first, and I still miss the spaceflight megathread, but I'm starting to warm up to it. It definitely gets more laughs out of me than the "old" one did. The "Adventures of Satan" CYOA in particular was an incredible(y disgusting) thread.

Sorry for the derail (I don't have PMs), but the Spaceflight Megathread has been relocated to the Science, Academia, and Languages subforum of A/T, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

It's a great thread and a neat subforum. :)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

gileadexile posted:

State trooper rode in the left hand lane for more than 6 miles. There wasn't any traffic until I was about to snap the pic, but I just couldn't believe it, couldn't stop giggling.

What state are you from? Is it possible your state doesn't have a 'passing lane' law?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
e: Sorry, double post.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 20, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Snowdens Secret posted:

We have a law against driving while on the phone and I see cops doing it all the time.

There is an exception for 'emergency use' and that is how cops get away with it while on-duty.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

The last time I drove back from Austin, I had the cruise set at 90 most of the way back to DFW, except through Waco.

Three goddamn times, I looked in my mirror and saw a statie hauling rear end behind me and catching up really fast. Thought for sure I was getting a ticket, so I moved to the right lane and was ready to pull over. Every time, the trooper blew past me like I was standing still. Different people each time, so it's not like I blew past them again once they'd stopped. No lights or siren, they just had to be somewhere I guess. :iiam:

Funny thing is I bet Texas doesn't have GPS on their cars because of 'big scary government,' but I've lived in large metro areas my whole life and most of those cars are equipped with GPS that no doubt have a speedo function. The signal is routed back to police headquarters. I bet that keeps cops from speeding too much, otherwise they would do it all of the time.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

gently caress parking at schools stuffed to the brim with young drivers. :argh:

Of course the nimrod that did it left no note or stuck around.

So I guess I don't actually know if it was a kid that did it, but the probability is pretty high.

Yeah someone lopped off my driver's side mirror and it was hanging by the electrical wire the other day. I came back to it in the parking lot that way. No note or anything. :(

Are you going to leave it, pay for it, or submit it to insurance? You gonna file a police report?

Also see if your school has security cameras pointed at the lot. There were none in my case.

VVVVV I'm not going to make a joke about that being a women's only college, okay?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 21, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

Why bother finding the guy? Call the police and get it towed.

Police don't do poo poo about vehicles on a private parking lot.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

Huh?

What's wrong with idling while you fuel?

I hope this doesn't turn into a long debate. But what's the rationale behind the 'Engine Off' rule? I'm guessing it's that in case there is a fire there isn't fuel coursing through the entire engine at that point. Also, it increases the temperature for hot points of contact on the underside of the car where gasoline vapors could ignite.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 23, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm really worried because they're building a highway flyover near one of my favorite backwoods driving roads, and I know it's only a matter of time before I have to contend with more than just bicyclists and the occasional Camry driver on it.

Hey now! I'm a performance Camry driver.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Savington posted:

:negative:

(I am stopped in the left-most of two left-hand turn lanes, just behind the limit line.)

I would blame the local DOT and not the driver; the road paint has worn to the point where it looks like there are two stop lines instead of a line and a crosswalk.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

0rganDonor posted:

I was 18 or so in Atlanta and had just purchased an AK47 clone (WASR10), and being a stupid teenager I had it out of the box messing with it, no ammunition around of course, just playing with my new "toy" in the backseat of my brother's XJ. No one could see because of the hackjob tint my brother had in the back at the time, unless you were looking in from the front. My older brother, being another stupid teenager, somehow managed to piss someone off. I don't know how as my attention was elsewhere. Next thing I know dude gets out of whatever he's driving and comes up yelling and my brother is rolling the back windows down. As soon as dude sees it he calms down, gives a quick "Sorry, man" and books it back to his car. I didn't point it at him and had a pretty surprised look on my face too but hey, I think we taught the guy a lesson.

In many states simply displaying a firearm, especially having it in your hands around another person is a misdemeanor called "brandishing" or something, and might also be considered a threat. You're lucky he didn't call the cops, but I'm sure you know that.

example in VA, a notoriously lax state: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 5, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

I don't lay into it, it's a short honk to let them know I think they're being dumb. My hope is that it makes them feel ashamed of their behavior and next time they think about how their decisions effect people around them.

I can confirm being honked at definitely makes me feel bad about my bad decisions.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

This evening I saw someone back out of a parking space into a van's front bumper, and there was something about the way he did it that screamed a sense of "yeah, well, he should park all the way into the bay, shouldn't he?" righteous indignation. Never mind that there was no way that thing was going to be able to get any deeper into the space, they were being distinctly miserly when they laid out the carpark. Told the van's driver, but all they'd done was dislodge a reflector, and he clearly wasn't bothered about it.

If they didn't leave a note, couldn't you have gotten their plate number and called the cops? :) Careless driving or parking like that shouldn't be tolerated, and that still counts as a damage and run.

e: Nevermind, I guess there wasn't any real damage.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

atomicthumbs posted:

sorry about bad photograph. click for more large

I win.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Re: Light chat:

I don't truly know how hard it is for some people to turn their lights on, but I would imagine if you really need your lights (i.e. it's super dark) it's pretty loving obvious if they aren't on.

Fog seems to be the major issue around me. It gets foggy pretty often in Chicagoland and about 10-20% of drivers will have their lights on during BAD fog as legally required.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Maybe a chemical factory leaked some stupidity drug into the water last night.

Do you live in West Virginia?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Going to the DMV today since I turned 21. Took the highway. Lady in a blue Corolla trucking down a water-covered highway at 85 mph, or 10 over the speed limit. :stonk:

Happy birthday. :) Enjoy your horizontal license (in my state at least). It's weird seeing the expiration date so far ahead on your license after you turn 21, and thinking about how old you'll be then.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Fun drive home.

I'm within like 2 minutes of my house. Dude in a Cadillac is riding my rear end, finally gets his chance to pass and floors it past me. Doesn't get very far, cuts me off when he gets to his turn. Cool, I guess. Honk at him, of course, continue on my merry way. I come flying up on a cop's rear end - keep in mind I'm only going 5 over the limit, and he was going way under, but he's in the lane I gotta be in for my turn. I don't really know why he was going slow - the last turn onto the road was the one the Cadillac went down, and that was a solid 700 yards back. But I signal, and a second after I signal, he does too. Weird, I guess, but alright. We turn, and the turn into my neighborhood is right after this turn. So the cop almost cuts me off as soon as I signal and get into the turn lane for that, gets in front of me, turns in front of me, then makes a U-turn out of my neighborhood.

Cops are weird. I guess that's part of the joy of owning a red Honda in a neighborhood full of riceburners.

Sounds like the cop was perhaps running your license plate.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

If those lights are timed, you mean. Cause it's not really the norm in most places.

In major cities it is, and most people in the U.S. live in major cities. Chicago in particular has light timings that piss me off. Going the speed limit gets you caught on a red at every single light on a medium-sized artery in the downtown area. If you go 10 MPH over, though, you risk getting an Automated Speed Enforcement camera ticket (thanks to corrupt contracts and American Traffic Solutions).

Protocol7 posted:

I've been pulled over for speeding once on that road, and it's because a cop felt like flying up on my rear end at 70+ mph and saying I was speeding (I was going 5 over.) They clocked me anyway and I didn't bother fighting it because I was technically speeding and I have no proof they were going extremely fast (not that it would affect the verdict of my ticket.)

You got a speeding ticket from a cop for being clocked going 5 MPH over the speed limit? :wtf:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 30, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
For all the bullshit drivers have to deal with in the City of Chicago, I don't think our cops would ever write a ticket for anything less than 10 over unless there was a very good reason, like in combination with other more serious offenses.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
That would throw me into some depression/anger, even if only for the $100. You are a stronger man than I.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

dissss posted:

The one on my car leaves the lights off for far longer than I think is prudent - it has to be really quite dark before they kick in which isn't great on grey sedan.

Also there are plenty of other reduced visibility situations where you should have the lights on but there is still quite a lot of ambient light.

I'd love functionality that would allow the driver to change the light sensitivity setting for automatic lights. Not sure if any manufacturers have implemented that.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Seriously, does anyone know a good reputable place for buying crazy horns for my sedan on the Internet? I'm looking for the loudest, scariest horn that's still legal in most of the U.S. If not loud then just funny.

All I can find are silly air horn kits. I want a super-loud electronic horn that fits in the default spot if that exists.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 10, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

If you're in the intersection when the light is yellow and it turns red before you're out, you will also fail.

Is this really the law? It sounds highly unlikely. I know you all don't have cities with a lot of people in Ontario, but in any reasonably big intersection (that for whatever reason does not have a dedicated left-turn arrow) at peak times you will end up with cross-traffic going straight preventing left turners from turning until the light turns yellow, then people will continue to run the yellow, and you will have to finish your left turn as the light is red, having crossed the white line while it was green.

I'm not an engineer but I assume that if this is a common occurrence though, or the traffic volume is large enough, the traffic authority will put in a dedicated turn arrow to reduce the possibility of this scenario.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 2, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
^ Don't skip this, watch it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It is really perfectly shot. What are the chances this not only would happen, but would happen RIGHT in front of a car with a perfect dashcam, and that it would then get uploaded and shared? I am skeptical as well.

Also, what are people doing with professional costumes at the ready in a van at 2:40am?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Uthor posted:

Went for a bike ride on a trail along the road. Went to cross a street in the crosswalk with both the green light and walk signal in my favor and got stranded in the middle of the intersection by a long line of oncoming cars turning right in front of me without slowing. Not even the nun in her habit gave me a second look as she sped by!

I don't commute on my bike or anything and I stick to the trail (converted old rail road that crosses some streets as it goes through town), but I've become hyper aware of all the people that blow past the stop line and stop in the crosswalk without looking to see if there is anybody walking or riding there.

Sounds like you should be a little less hesitant to just jump out in front of them. They'll stop. It won't kill them to brake.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 4, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yeah, I probably had enough time in between cars to make that right turn on red, but I didn't because you honked at me 3 times and you were flipping out in your car about it. I opted to just wait for the green light. Oh, and the look you gave me when you did eventually pass me. Priceless.

gently caress you, don't spite other drivers. You don't know what their situation is. It's very annoying when drivers in front of you turning right on red fail to do so given ample time and distance. Many don't even attempt to inch out, which is equivalent to holding up traffic.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 7, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I hate State Fair time in my city. On my route to and from work, they just swap the 40 MPH signs by the fairground with 25 MPH signs and do nothing else to warn people about it. I got a speeding ticket there last year because I'd just come back from a month-long trip and wasn't on the lookout, so now I notice the signs and drive down that stretch at 25 MPH.

Of course everyone else is still driving at 50 MPH and road raging like loving crazy at me, tailgating and cutting me off. What the hell do I even do besides go miles out of my way to take a different route?

drat this sounds super annoying and dangerous (creating such a large disparity in speed). Is there somewhere you can call your State DOT and complain?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

PaganGoatPants posted:

Only thing I hate about this is the people who leave this much room NEVER come to a complete stop. They slowly roll until the light turns green ONE MINUTE LATER. I give up most of the time and stop and let them roll however long they want to. By the time they come to a stop there's 1.5 car lengths between us.

Yup, I try and save brakes this way by in effect stopping sooner so I don't slowly roll for a minute long at every stoplight like you'll see people do. And then there are people who will inch forward at a stoplight too, which is equally annoying. Who knows if it has any quantifiable effect on brake life though?

I'm the annoying hypermiler you drive with by the way. I will coast up to reds at 20MPH on a 30MPH street (I would never do that with a green in front of me), people behind me will change lanes, aggressively accelerate to 35, get in front of me, then stop at the red. I'm good enough at it that I have many of my area's light timings memorized as well to race short greens and to see if it's worth it to coast to the red.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

That's easy to deal with, all it takes is staying aware of your surroundings. Even if no one uses a blinker you can read what they want to do and adjust your driving to try and keep everyone happy.

I stop/start significantly slower if no one is behind me. I'll drift to the left side of the lane if it's clear the person behind me wants to turn right too, just to give them as much room as I can.

Same here, brother. Top MPG, top courtesy, good driving.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

KozmoNaut posted:

I generally don't, because then some dick will blow by with barely any room to spare.

So? Unless you're on a motorcycle or something, let the people who are passing you figure out if they have room or not, there's no way you can possibly know. I drive deliveries for my job in a place with a lot of narrow two-way streets, and idiots are always in the middle of the street. I have a lot of practice figuring out clearance so I know my car pretty well, at least I hope so.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 27, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Unload My Head posted:

Come to a real city with medians everywhere and you'll see legal u-turns every block unless there is a roundabout.

Real cities don't have roundabouts.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I can't wait until adaptive cruise control is standard equipment. I'm only going to (be able to) buy used for many many years, so it will be a while for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

a primate posted:

While we're on rants:

Dear everyone who lives in my city: the middle turning lane is for TURNING! Imagine that!

Assuming you're talking about these bad boys.

Also, in many states, they are for merging back into the flow of traffic after a left turn onto the road :eng101:

Absolutely no one knows that though, and drivers on the right side of the road will honk at me thinking I'm going to T-bone them when I'm turning into the adjacent turn/merge lane. Reduces the number of lanes you have to cross at one time, and enables you to complete the turn faster.

And since no one knows that, if you are stuck behind someone on a driveway waiting to turn left onto a road with a middle merge lane, they will take forever and cross all lanes, even though they had many openings to make it to the merge lane. Guaranteed almost 100% of the time.

Please Google, bring the driverless cars.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 1, 2014