Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Every. Single. Goddamned time I drive :siren:my fiancee's:siren: Explorer, I stupidly hold the brake pedal down like a clutch pedal when starting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

West SAAB Story posted:

Some vehicles make you do that in order to start them. :confused:

I've never driven a pushbutton car, so the most I've had to do is hit the brake pedal to get them out of gear.

Anyway, the point was they're probably not counting on me doing it with a ton of force with my left foot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raluek posted:

I trust the engine to hold the car just as much as I trust the parking brake, and I sure do like having more than one thing keeping it from rolling downhill. Why not leave it in gear? Is this some can of worms I've never heard of?

The optometrist I worked for at my old office had an beat up as poo poo BMW 318i that had so little compression that when she forgot to put the parking brake on (instead just left it in first gear) it would slowly chuff-chuff-chuff down the inclined parking lot.

It also says a lot that you can turn an engine over by hand with an 18-inch breaker bar and socket. Don't trust the engine to keep the car from moving on a hill.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought two G1W dashcams, one for the motorcycle and one for the car. I hope to flood the thread soon with videos of Arizonian (?) drivers' skills.

Also, gently caress non-switched power outlets. I'm doing the janky-as-gently caress "wire from switched fuse to cigar lighter fuse box with one broken-off leg" trick for a few days until I can break out the soldering iron and heatshrink, but I get sad every time I have to pull on tricks/skills I haven't had to use since I was sixteen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, is the fog light thing you're talking about the reason the US fog light assembly for my 97 Subaru is like $19 for the set and the JDM foglight sets I see are $50-100? I see the lens assembly is different in each.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

I was wearing kitchen clogs

You are the person I share the road with :stonk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Every goddamned day

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRmAi4_ip-A&t=145s

(you may want to mute it to block out the childish swearing. I was having a bad day)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well there's your problem, you took 202W further than the 143. I avoid that bit of freeway like the plague (I think the only ones I drive less often are the 51 and I17, and I actually like 51) because even though it hasn't changed in years, everyone gets monumentally stupid on those exits approaching I10.

It's bizarre, because US60 has as many / more lane-ends between the 101 and I10, yet you never seem to get this poo poo.

But I live on 14th st and Osborn, and the 51 -> 202 -> 87/Beeline is the most direct way I can take the highway to Fountain Hills, right? I mean, because gently caress Shea blvd.

Maybe I should just get off at 44th street and take surface streets (like Thomas) over to 16th. I am not used to big cities at all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I imagine it like the mythbusters episode, but with a bicyclist instead of a Fiat:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My buddy's a traffic engineer, and every time something like that comes up in conversation, he's quick to point out that people zippering in at the merge point is much more efficient than everyone merging early. It caught me by surprise, because I've been driving for awhile getting pissed off at people who merge at the very end when I merged early - I guess it's an incompetent rage because I feel that they "should have thought ahead like I did HA HA!" and they should be punished for their "stupidity" by having to wait. Turns out that I'm completely wrong: while people merging at the end of the merge lane may make my trip take a little longer (I have to wait for 2 cars instead of just one, etc), by reducing the overall length of backed up traffic (potentially across more stop lights and intersections) zippering at the end saves more time from everyone's day.

That doesn't mean that I still don't feel a small pang of anger against people who are (irrationally, I know), to me, "beating the system," even if they're correct in doing so. And people who will exit their current lane to run up to the lane end point to merge back in are still causing trouble for everyone; any lane change maneuver in traffic, in or out, increases travel time for everyone in a lane ending circumstance.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ONE OF US, ONE OF US

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If the lot isn't full, and someone stakes a claim to the spot I'm in when they see me get in my car (causing a ruckus in the lot by blocking traffic to do so), I'll put the car back in park and just wait. I don't care about having a close spot, but sometimes I'll get lucky and get one by chance, and people will go apeshit trying to get it when I'm leaving the store. Like, I'll have spot one (non-handicapped), and spots three and four will be open, but they'll drive right past spot three to try and wait for me to back out. The more ridiculous, the longer I'll wait. Besides, it's not safe backing out when there are cars bearing down on your rear end behind you.

I'm the person you share the road with.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If your state says you need a front plate, then put a front plate on there. Sorry, not much else you can do.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
http://youtu.be/tiQxXgyutA0

Sorry, quickfuck edited then posted on mobile, there are two more in the related videos. I don't know the guy, it was my commute home and he wouldn't leave me alone for quite awhile before I remembered to plug the dash cam back in. He would speed away for a mile, slow back down, and gently caress with me again. I ended up calling the police when it was safe, but they don't give a poo poo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

you ate my cat posted:

So wait. If I'm stopped at a light and turning right, and a cyclist decides to pass me on the right with or without a lane, they have right of way? I can totally see that if they're stopped with me, but if they're coming up along a line of stopped cars?

If they have a cycle lane, and they stop at the light, then they have the right of way and you have to stop and wait to turn until they move on. If they don't have a cycle lane, then in most places they should merge into your lane and behave like a car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, if you're in the far right-hand lane, letting people in is something you just have to do. You can't simultaneously complain about people not merging at freeway speed and then not give them the space to merge.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

That's not in dispute. If there's not enough room, tough poo poo, merger.

Does your loving brake work? You don't have to slow down a lot, just enough to give enough gap in front of you (that you should already have) that a car can fit in. You're that guy, aren't you?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SocketSeven posted:

Google cannot convince me that you aren't an rear end in a top hat. Neither can your posting, apparently. :v:

Holy poo poo just go away

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

This is not confirmation bias! It's stereotyping. :eng101:

Wait, I just bought (traded for) a Type 1, and I'm not deluded by the fumes-

...oh.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Driving my beetle home at a blistering 64 last night. Coming up on my left is a pickup with an RX8 right on his rear end. It's hard to explain, but the way traffic and the lanes were, I was pretty sure the RX would pull behind me, then pass me on my right (an exit only lane) to get around both me and the truck. Sure enough, he pops behind me right up my trumpet, and I brace for the inevitable dick maneuver to my right. But...he never moves over, he just sticks on my rear end. By this time, the truck is well far gone, so I expect someone whose being so aggressive in tailgating to pass on my (now open) right, but again he doesn't budge from his perch. So, I slow down calmly to around 55 to encourage him to move around, but he still stays. Thinking it may be a cop or something, in addition to a very slow sweeper truck coming up, I move left to see what this guy does. As I move over, he speeds up slowly back to the limit until he comes up to the sweeper, and just hangs inches from his bumper. When I pass both, I look over, and (from what I can see) it's just a middle aged guy in a button-down, diving seemingly normally and attentively).

I see people like this multiple times a day on the freeway. Were they born, raised, and taught to drive in a constant LA Rush Hour simulator or something? :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

I don't give a single poo poo what the speed limit is, I'm going to cruise efficiently (at 60 or less in my Jeep). It's not a loving mystery, increasing your speed increases your fuel consumption, quadratically.

If everyone is going 75, and you're going 60, then you're a 15mph roadblock, and more of a danger to the people going 75 than the people going 80 or even 85. I mean, cruise at whatever speed you want if you can do it safely, but the way you've worded your post makes me think you're the type of person to sit at 55mph on a speedy highway where everyone does 85, and you're telling all of those people to gently caress off because they're wrong. In that situation (99% of people are doing one thing), they may not be right, but you're more in the wrong, because you're the greater danger. I don't know if you're saying that, because there's only so much that can be conveyed in such a short post, like yours was. I'm just trying to point out why people have responded in a hostile manner, if you hadn't noticed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Theris posted:

But that's never actually the case,

You can not ever say never, as you don't know the conditions of each and every highway in america. Example: Highway 84 between central Boise and Meridian/Nampa in Idaho in the hours right before and right after rush hour is very commonly 80+ mph, and there are alternate routes specifically for trucks. I drove that damned road six days a week, in the morning and in the evening, and I can honestly tell you that there were days that there were zero cars going less than 75. If someone was going less than that, they could have been (and have been) pulled over by police for causing a road obstruction, because the law states the speed must be reasonable and prudent, and not create a hazard. Yes, you can get ticketed for going too slow even if "too slow" is still above the posted speed limit: it happens all of the time in certain areas. There simply doesn't exist a lane "barely over 60" in that scenario. The exact same can be said for the beeline highway/highway 87 from Fountain Hills to Phoenix in Arizona during the workweek.

Even with my defense, your argument is flawed, anyway. A single truck or two doesn't cause a lane to slow down to 60mph, what it causes is a rolling road hazard that everyone darts around, increasing risk for everybody. Any lane change carries increased risk and danger. You sound like your examples or prior knowledge of freeways comes from a specific area of the country, because there are also areas where there's always a lane doing 55-60 day in, day out. But those aren't everywhere, and claiming that something possibly can't exist is foolish, because a single person can never know everything about every scenario. You have to work within the limits of your knowledge, and accept that maybe, somewhere else you possibly may not have seen, the circumstances are different.

The last four pages of this thread are because people don't think that anything other than what they know firsthand can be a possibility that other people may have to deal with, and you're one of those people. All I said in my post is that there are situations where somebody going "well, I'm going to go 15 under the limit because it's more efficient and gently caress everybody else," is being a douchenozzle and willingly endangering others. I also admitted in my post that he very well may be able to do that safely, in which case, more power to him. I know of roads where both extreme danger, and relative safety, in doing what he wants to do, exist.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I drive ambulances every day, and I'm sorry for what happened to you, but sometimes it gets hectic in there. I have to juggle jackasses going 35 in a 65, the dispatch radio, the fire radio (in Phoenix), patching to hospitals if the medic/nurse partner can't do it, and regular driving. Plus they're difficult at best to see out of. Passing an ambo on the right in any situation, much less when they're on the rear end of somebody (only do that when about to pass, otherwise we leave a ton of room), is a risky maneuver. Doesn't excuse no signal, but that's 50/50 he forgot vs it was broken :v:

Pro tip: if you're behind an ambo and they turn on the load/rear scene lights, back off, because you're too close.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is it a troll account? Some of those are loving brilliant trolls if so.

"How close can I be to a smart meter when pregnant?"

"Is applied kinesiology ALWAYS a scam?"

Holy loving poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've got the Beetle set up so that I can cruise on the highway pretty well (lower ratio 4th gear), but it doesn't matter if I'm going 75 and everyone else is going 65; the moment I come to pass anybody in the right lane they speed up, because there's obviously no way an ACVW could be passing them. I'm used to it after just two weeks of owning the thing, but that doesn't make it any less retarded. I guarantee that some of the people I go to pass have been cruising at 65 or 70 for miles carefree, but something deep down (I'd say "small dick syndrome," but ladies do it too) keeps them from allowing me to pass their slow asses.

E: VVVVV

Absolutely. I can see when I'm either slowly waking somebody up, or when they're in "mentally dead cruisin'"-zone and they're just speed matching the next bumper. Those happen all of the time. I can't tell you how many times I'd come off work at midnight and set my cruise to 65 on the Loop 202 in Phoenix and I'd pass somebody doing 55, they'd slowly just speed up and match my bumper. That's them not being aware, and happens all of the time. In the Beetle it's almost an aggressive "Oh gently caress no."

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 13, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Proposed thread rule: argue about self driving cars, get a 12 hour probation.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SocketSeven posted:

The power of the zipper merge, is that he gets to his destination faster.

Jesus Christ you are butthurt about the zipper merge argument two weeks ago.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've just noticed you sneaking it in about half of the posts I've read from you since you exploded about it during that argument. There aren't that many regular posters in AI, so it's noticeable when someone's being a shitbird about something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

SocketSeven's rap sheet 0/10 would NOT read again :stare: not sure if terrible, obvious, low grade troll or not...

Some dingleberry in a merc spent 8 miles fumblefucking around in the left lane of i95 last night with me and a dozen other people waiting for them. Pacing the person next to them. Then abruptly decided to move over without checking their mirrors or blind spots at all and nearly pushed me into someone else just as I finally decided to pass.

Oh, and I heard a buick lesabre with a MEAN rod knock banging around as it passed me while I was walking down the sidewalk. Wonder how much longer that thing lasts before it becomes a local mechanics nightmare... the owner morso than the car.

If it's a 3800, it has probably been running like that for years, and has a few more years to go

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

I heard a knock in an oncoming car from 100 yards away with the top down and the radio blaring. Then I heard a loud rattling bang as he went by, and I saw a magnificent cloud of smoke billow out from under the car. As the smoke cleared I saw an oil slick trailing towards the light where the car stopped.

When it went *BANG* I nearly poo poo my pants as he was right beside me at that point. I think it was a 90's Grand Prix.

Man, all of these 3800 stories.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Phoenix uses the Robocop voice, then a machine gun noise when it's time to cross. I'm not joking

http://youtu.be/p28QONEGQe8

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Has to be a troll post.

Of course, there are those idiots that have a Geo Metro or something that's broken and can only go 35mph, so they decide to get on the freeway, because obviously putting their hazards on makes them immune to minimum speed requirements. There's no possible way they could take a surface street or something, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

blk posted:

Please tell me this is satire.

Negative.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vindolanda posted:

How can you take "stopping people with failed inspections from driving" and say that's a bad thing?

Kidney Stone posted:

Let me just put this is in here:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shut the gently caress up, holy poo poo. It's not funny, just annoying.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys guys, shut the gently caress up about people inconveniencing you by not turning left on reds when it's okay for them to do so, for I have seen the real enemy.

He went on the freeway on-ramp I had just gotten off of.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Arizona. Close enough.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As a person that drives ambulances daily, I couldn't live without those stick-on mirrors (and the factory installed fisheye mirrors on the one newer ambulances we have in the lot.

Though they could take our rearview mirror right the gently caress off and I wouldn't notice. I only use it when we have a violent patient who's strapped down, and I'm keeping an eye on the rear cabin to hit the brakes if they break loose.

"Dog in the road!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
About 80% of my calls are behavioral transfers, and about half of those are from a specific place where every single patient they have is court ordered and petitioned. So, on 40% of my calls, restraints are required. Of course, the company I work for gives us two choices in restraints: those lovely single-use white nylon ones with the thinnest foam ever created as padding, or those red and blue reusable velcro ones. Again, of course, I use the velcro ones. Unfortunately, everything at our company is old as poo poo, so even when I do the pre-flight checklist poo poo and inspect the restraints and they look good, they sometimes still fail, especially on our Terry Crews-buff patients.

And gently caress what my partner (usually another E - I run BLS most days) sometimes thinks about not having to strap down their ankles. Bitch they're court-ordered for restraints and I've seen some flexible patients gently caress stuff up with just their feet. What Motronic said is true about the swerving, along with a few more reasons: swerving all over the road in traffic is much more dangerous than just a quick stop (if someone rear ends the ambulance, they were too loving close and it's not our fault); patients are facing backwards in the ambulance, and if they break free and start getting up, a quick "dog in the road" stop usually knocks them back down on the gurney, which is padded and less prone to injure them, and puts them in position so my partner can sit/hold them down in a safe manner until I can stop and get back to help re-restrain; and it's easier for my partner to grab onto a handrail and brace themselves against a predictable change in motion forwards, instead of an unpredictable shaking to both sides.

And while we have medical tape, we also carry standard white duct tape if we really need to restrain somebody (:getin:), though most of the time it gets used for bariatric patients who are so curled up or just so fat that we have to tape their folds up over the edge of the gurney so they don't get pinched when we put them into the ambulance (:stonk:)