Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I want to not hate cyclists, but I don't like things going slowly on roads where things go fastly. We have very few cyclists around these parts, but they're all massive dickheads, so it kind of evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Uthor posted:

My sister has a Mazda6 who's dash is lit up full blast all the time. But, she actually has it set lower with the dimmer switch, which only kicks in when her lights are on. So, her gauges are actually brighter with the lights off than with the lights on.

At least she knows to use her lights.

My F150's dash dims when the lights are on, too - this makes sense to me because it illuminates bright enough to be visibly illuminated during the day, and it can be kind of distracting at night. I've ticked the brightness down a bit more because the LCD in the center is brighter than everything else and it kind of gets annoying at night.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I want a big, possibly reflective SORRY bumper sticker because anyone behind me at any time has maybe a 20% chance of being the victim of my poo poo driving, having just been cut off, forced to do a speed slower than what they'd like, forced to stop while I make a turn on the overloaded 2-lane road near my house, or generally confused by my bumbling nature.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Don't forget trucks with their asses bogged down by cargo. I got flashed so many times because my lows were shining into cabins due to the weight of the trailer.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMiXqP8vI0

Of particular importance to STR and myself. This is like 11foot8 but considerably more :stonk:

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 30, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I honestly don't know what makes that intersection such an idiot magnet. Maybe it's just that the positioning of our cameraman directly over it has afforded him the unique opportunity to catch every accident, but it still seems far too common.

Crankit posted:

Having your traffic lights turn off at night seems really stupid. Am I misunderstanding, or is that what's happening?
Effectively, yes. I think flashing reds would be fine if everyone knew what they were and acted accordingly, but that is simply an unrealistic expectation.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Everyone is aiming for the bullseye in the middle of the intersection.

Maybe it's like car curling.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

My turning circle is 14.3 meters, apparently.

Jesus, I knew it was big but not that big. Christ.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo, hit edit instead of quote. I'm retarded.

14.3 meters, 47 feet. It only gets worse when I drive the Jeep because I get back in my truck and it's 3 miles wide and takes 20 miles to do a U-turn.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Congratulations, your turning radius is 6 feet worse than that of a 25 foot long, 6 wheel drive, half century old military truck. Jesus christ.

As for front plates, you'll get bagged in a hurry for not having one if they don't like the look of you/your ride or it's drunk-o-clock around here, but otherwise, no one will ever care. Basically it's a reason to pull people over if they want to for other not-legally-allowed reasons.

Oh, and you'll fail safety inspection without one, too.

I think that's diameter, not radius. Either way it's still pretty loving big, but it is a crew-cab pickup.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, the cars slowing would have made me slow too, but the van had no actual siren, the lights were dim as gently caress, the light was green, and the left turn it was making would be illegal. I guess there's just slightly too much police dickwaving and way too much driver absentmindedness.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

I'll guess one of those truck campers with a couple wheels bolted on and a trailer socket screwed in under the bed area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNMvBnm14o

:science:

This is the coolest loving thing I've ever seen.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

SocketSeven posted:

You really can't expect much from sports cars with rear drums on the base model in this day and age.

How many years ago was it that Vettes got IRS standard? Do they have limited slip diffs? :can:

Hey man, Mustangs didn't get IRS until like, next year.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

When I notice a vulture waiting for me, I suddenly remember I forgot something and run back into the store.

This is only acceptable if you load all of your purchases first, as slowly as possible, return your cart at a leisurely walk, get in the car, maybe even start it, and THEN re-enter the store.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Maintain speed, engage horn and both middle fingers. It's an art.

But really, you have to be ready for anything, because people are idiots. Making sure you're clear to swerve, panic stop, whatever, because there is no way of knowing what someone already stupid enough to walk out in the street is about to do.

I've also had generally good results with revving/jumping at them if they're purposefully taking their sweet time.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I keep noticing a delicious trend of people starting their lane change before checking, swerving back as they see me barreling down on them. They signal, and they notice what's happening in time, so it's alright with me for the most part.

Better than the speeding, honking, cell-talking sedan cutting me off four times in a row without ever touching their turn signal. I tried to stick to them as best I could with both middle fingers extended but they began going irresponsibly fast and lane-swapping even more.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

All these times I have seriously considered getting one of those obnoxious loving 'train horn' kits because apparently the sound of my stock one can't be heard over the radio or the phone or the food or whatever, and nor can my 3.7 liters of naturally aspirated I-wish-I-was-a-V8 fury.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

It is a compact though, by virtue of being a Tahoe instead of a Suburban.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

SyHopeful posted:

I had to begrudgingly admire the great back-in job.

Yeah, it'd probably take me a couple tries to match that in my truck, which is a compact by virtue of having the short bed regardless of the SuperCrew cab.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, that reminds me of the terrible parking job I saw a few days ago.

It looked even worse from the front, but that picture is mysteriously absent from my phone's memory.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Edit: Speaking of inspections, any other Texas goons excited about this?

Mildly, yes! One less sticker in the windshield.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

lavaca posted:

I live in Seattle, city of four-way stops. This commercial adequately characterizes the local driving experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0

I prefer the Portlandia version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXMTtykHfE

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

It still astounds me how ridiculously sturdy trees can be in the face of a moving car.

Don't gently caress with trees.

So sturdy, in fact, we've started building all kinds of things out of them, even houses.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

All the recent Fords I've driven have the headlights stay on no matter what if they're in the on position and chime at you when you open the door, and will have DRLs on in any position except Park. I leave my truck's lights on auto about 98% of the time and that does the job but sometimes I turn them on manually if I'm not sure if they're on or not but I really want them to be.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 9, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

Not exactly a receipt, but close enough. Those who dare to embiggenclick will be greeted with just $58 and change. I started with about a quarter tank, ended up paying $121 and change. And that's the cheapest gas station in town too.

I want that loving bumper sticker.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

jamal posted:

Well, just like we only see the drivers that are doing dumb poo poo, you also only see the cyclists doing dumb poo poo. The thing about cyclists being retarded is that they're probably only going to hurt themselves, unlike a person in a car who can easily kill a whole bunch of people through a few seconds of not paying attention.

So maybe don't get so upset by having to slow down for a guy on a bike and instead worry about the person checking Facebook while piloting a 5000lb SUV through traffic.

5000lb is a crossover. A real SUV is 3 tons or better.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

StormDrain posted:

slow and took the opportunity on a very short passing area on the two-lane. I was two cars back but I dropped back a good 300 feet, it looked sketchy as hell.
Since I don't drive for a living and rarely absolutely need to get somewhere on time I'm willing to give truck drivers a pass for engaging the right of weight in the vast majority of situations.

e: My vehicle is also not 60+ feet long, nor does it weigh billions of tons, nor does it have six hundred gears to go through.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 26, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

I also do this as well as pull off as far to the right as I can when I'm making a right so other people can get by.

I'll make room for people to get into a left turn lane but I simply cannot handle doing this, my long-rear end wheelbase prevents me from taking most right turns tightly.

God forbid I curb my rimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

I wish people would stop swinging out to make a U-turn.

gently caress you, I can't U-turn with any less than three lanes per side and a sizeable median, and sometimes it's more important for me to complete a U-turn quickly than to continue caring about my fellow motorists' feelings.

But never in front of someone.

Powershift posted:

It's never necessary. Just go full lock, give a quick boot to the throttle, and the car will flip a quick 180.

If that doesn't work, your car is poo poo and you need a different one.

edit: vroom broom.

I used to but my new rubber is too harcoe to break the tires loose reliably.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 28, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

How the gently caress can people just not notice it when they back into a thing? I tapped a cement post when I was learning to drive stick at well under walking speed (it turns out I was on a slight hill), and I immediately noticed and went out to see if there was any damage (nope -- not even a scratch). I can't fathom backing into a car and just driving away.

I backed over a random metal fencepost in my truck not longer after I got it. I didn't see it because it was the exact same green as the surrounding grass, shorter than my tailgate and not visible from my mirrors, and I didn't know until long after it occurred because it wasn't very deep in the ground and made no sound or resistance. It left a bit of green paint on the underside of my chrome bumper that rubbed right off, and left no mark.

I have yet to strike anything else with a motor vehicle, which is certainly something I'm proud of.

InitialDave posted:

Not twice. Hitting a good hump square-on in a leaf-sprung pickup, particularly an unladen one, is loving painful.

Front end, no problem. Glide over that poo poo because pickup front suspension has been gentrifying for nearly 70 years straight. But as soon as your rear axle (again, especially unladen) bounces over that motherfucker you will feel it in every inch of your spine. It's fuckin' brutal. There's a 1-inch drop where asphalt highway meets concrete street near me and it feels like a ten foot drop straight onto my pelvis if I go over it straight.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Ford's autolights work just fine! I often turn mine on early, but usually I don't even have to touch the switch at all except to turn on the fogs about once or twice a year.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

He was 81, and he had the hammer down long before that, and hit two cars before that footage. Look that poo poo up, apparently they've yet to figure out why he did it but he was allegedly slumped over the wheel.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

On my way home tonight, I watched someone in a minivan make a three point turn in the middle of the road. A four lane road, with a center left turn lane. :downs:

Now I know some vehicles have a big turning radius but I'm pretty sure even the worst vehicle out there can make a u-turn inside a 60 foot width.

I need at least the width of three lanes plus a turn lane and a little median to complete a 180-degree turn in one motion in my F150.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

tuna posted:

disclaimer: bad driving by me but I don't care, I just wanted to piss them off. (I'm the people you share a road with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utPbn4-_Gyw

1440p mini 0806 video. The lens is a bit blurry for my liking, so I'd suggest not to get the 0806 but otherwise decent camera.

It took me three runs through to realize this was the hood of a jeep and not the roof of a commercial truck that this camera was seeing. The latches at the front finally clued me in.

E: I don't see why anyone would call you a particularly bad driver, either. The right turn is a bit iffy but justifiable and safe, you pull across some lanes smoothly and go to make your left - and here's some dickhead on the wrong loving side of the road.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 15, 2015

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

wayfinder posted:

Here's the next moral quandary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oHP9tXXEE4

Kicking someone off a driving bike they stole

If you've got the owner's explicit permission, and you're absolutely sure that's the bike, and at low speed, and the cops don't arrest YOU - sure!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

I'll be the rear end in a top hat that points out the guy giving chase is riding over his head and almost wrecked it turning through that intersection.

Can't help but agree there - this so easily could have turned into a hilarious video of a single-vehicle motorcycle crash. So rare these days, it seems like they all get creamed by other drivers before they get to do anything stupid enough to throw them off.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

spog posted:

I'm a bit annoyed about the people who think they are the road police, when they are just a twat on a bike.

All cyclists are twats.

Eating a bowl of cereal isn't as bad as texting and driving.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

nm posted:

The most interesting thing here was the e30 wagon.

I have to agree - there was some questionable driving, but drat, that wagon was sick.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

These are the people I share the road with.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/2015/06/27/suv-crash-cicis-wylie-texas-driver-injuries/29414545/

A Nissan SUV drives all the way through a CiCi's Pizza. Front plate-glass window to rear wall. Apparently several people were injured!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I didn't see the suggested time-stamp and watched the whole video - most suspenseful two minutes of my life. You know something's gonna go wrong, but not where or when.... until it does.