Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
People that brake on an onramp when there's nothing in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

You sure about that? I've been to Walmart a couple times this week for moving related supplies, and each time there's been an employee just standing in the middle of the entry area. They don't say hello to everyone who enters, but I can't figure out what else they were up to.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/01/27/walmart-greeters-will-no-longer-greet-at-the-door/

quote:

Jerome Allen has greeted morning shoppers at Walmart for five years, the last two at a supercenter in Fort Worth, Texas. He heard through the grapevine that the store was reassigning its night-shift greeters, but was surprised when the store manager called him into his office on Thursday, and told him that there would be no more door greeters at all.

Allen's new position, which begins Feb. 6, will be to stand in "high traffic" areas of the store, ask customers if they need any assistance, and direct the flow of traffic. Allen doesn't think his new position will be particularly useful. The store, he said, already has a full roster of employees manning the floor, who are required to ask nearby customers if they need any help, as dictated by the "10-foot Rule."

Didn't eliminate them, but they're no longer greeting people who come in the front door.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

revmoo posted:

People that brake on an onramp when there's nothing in front of them.

Or people that approach any sort of bend and brake.

They're going the speed limit, there's no posted reduction for the turn, visibility allows seeing all the way through the turn, why the gently caress do they need to bleed off speed? :argh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That newspaper is kind of a dick for naming a dude trash-talking his employer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

And in both of our examples, people being "courteous" are just creating danger, and will probably eventually kill somebody.

"Courteous" drivers like this are the worst ones on the road, in my opinion. Aggressively bad I can deal with but people who think they're specifically doing you a favor by doing something dangerous and stupid just make me want to get the gently caress away from them.

revmoo posted:

That newspaper is kind of a dick for naming a dude trash-talking his employer.

What, you think WalMart could treat him any worse than they already do? :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Courteous" drivers like this are the worst ones on the road, in my opinion. Aggressively bad I can deal with but people who think they're specifically doing you a favor by doing something dangerous and stupid just make me want to get the gently caress away from them.

Holy gently caress yeah. My favorite is when I'm waiting to turn left on a four-lane and someone holds up their lane being "nice" meanwhile I can't see into the lane next to go because their car is now blocking any view I would have had.

Just as bad are the people that show up to a four-way stop and all of a sudden they park it and want to start waving their hands at everyone directing traffic.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The best is when you pull up to a stop sign, and someone else pulls up, and you both believe the other has the right of way.

"No, no, you were first."
"You're on the right, you've got it, go dude!"
"Is... is he going? He's sitting there, I'll just go. Wait! He just moved! Stop!"
"Crap, what is this guy doing? Why won't he just go!?"

I think my record is 30 seconds of glaring at someone until they finally move.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey assholes; if you are already half way through the loving turn, turning on your blinker isn't worth it anymore. How can you be so loving lazy as to not use a goddamned blinker? :psyduck:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I admit I will break queue for someone who is making a left on a twolane road. I will signal with a courtesy flash while maintaining speed to open a gap. However, if you have your head so far down your lap that the world is loving lost to you I will cheerfully roll on.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

revmoo posted:

Holy gently caress yeah. My favorite is when I'm waiting to turn left on a four-lane and someone holds up their lane being "nice" meanwhile I can't see into the lane next to go because their car is now blocking any view I would have had.

Just as bad are the people that show up to a four-way stop and all of a sudden they park it and want to start waving their hands at everyone directing traffic.

The wave of death. Ned Flanders in the right lane stops to let you out, you start to go, guy in the left lane proceeds to t-bone the poo poo out of you because he can't see. These claims happen so drat often. Then they get mad if you don't go, since you've declined their courtesy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I come to a complete stop and sit until it's my turn.. I take a mental note of the cars I should yield to as I approach and don't budge until they're through.

Easing off the brakes and creeping only signals you want to go and fucks everyone up, so keep that brake pedal mashed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ratbert90 posted:

How can you be so loving lazy as to not use a goddamned blinker? :psyduck:

I don't know what prices are like where you are but blinker fluid is expensive here. I only use my blinkers when it's absolutely necessary :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bovril Delight posted:

The wave of death. Ned Flanders in the right lane stops to let you out, you start to go, guy in the left lane proceeds to t-bone the poo poo out of you because he can't see. These claims happen so drat often. Then they get mad if you don't go, since you've declined their courtesy.

I made the mistake of accepting this one once and drove my pristine Thunderbird with the rare color-shift paint right in to the path of an oncoming Kia Sportage. I only had liability coverage on the car, so the other guy got his car replaced and I got a lawn ornament that looked great from one side and didn't have a straight panel on the other. Ended up selling it to a body shop in WV for little more than scrap value.

I still have those "gently caress I'm an idiot" shower thoughts over that one regularly almost ten years later.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

wolrah posted:

I made the mistake of accepting this one once and drove my pristine Thunderbird with the rare color-shift paint right in to the path of an oncoming Kia Sportage. I only had liability coverage on the car, so the other guy got his car replaced and I got a lawn ornament that looked great from one side and didn't have a straight panel on the other. Ended up selling it to a body shop in WV for little more than scrap value.

I still have those "gently caress I'm an idiot" shower thoughts over that one regularly almost ten years later.

Did this with a workvan. Though I managed to bring the van to a complete stop just in time for his wheel well to glance off the apex of my bumper. Damages minimal to me, new paintjob for him.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I live in Seattle, city of four-way stops. This commercial adequately characterizes the local driving experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

lavaca posted:

I live in Seattle, city of four-way stops. This commercial adequately characterizes the local driving experience:

Oh my God I want to beat both of those people to death. RIGHT OF WAY MOTHERFUCKERS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE DIE ON THE ROAD, YOU WELL-MANNERED FUCKTRAINS

The best part is if you actually take it, that's when they turn from Suzy Wavehands to Mercedes Punchface. I WAS GOING TO EAT THAT, YOU PRECOCIOUS poo poo.

Can you tell I used to live somewhere that needed four 4-way stops and two roundabouts to get out onto the highway?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 11, 2014

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

lavaca posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8mRd-Yh-Fc

Vancouver is full of people like this.

I give people a few seconds to realize its their turn before I say gently caress it and go out of turn, and then people get mad at me.

gently caress you I'm not waiting around like an idiot for you to figure yourself out.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Is it common for people to have no idea what the gently caress to do when someone gets hit for speeding in the left lane? God drat I hate driving near chicago.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Quabzor posted:

Is it common for people to have no idea what the gently caress to do when someone gets hit for speeding in the left lane? God drat I hate driving near chicago.

Are you referring to people who pull over on the left-side of the freeway, often into the almost non-existent shoulder? Not only are they loving themselves out of any chance of the officer letting them off with a warning by way of making them get out of their cruiser in heavy traffic, they're also loving everyone else by essentially shutting down that lane and causing a backup.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ratbert90 posted:

Hey assholes; if you are already half way through the loving turn, turning on your blinker isn't worth it anymore. How can you be so loving lazy as to not use a goddamned blinker? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ibs6gyABz8

Yep.
gently caress people not using blinkers.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 11, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If I see I'm pulling up to a stop at the same time as someone else, I tend to slow down and creep up to the line so I get there after they've already come to a complete stop. That seems to flip the "I was here first" switch and they just instinctly go first.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

You sure about that? I've been to Walmart a couple times this week for moving related supplies, and each time there's been an employee just standing in the middle of the entry area. They don't say hello to everyone who enters, but I can't figure out what else they were up to.

Here, at least late at night, they tend to check people's bags and receipts to make sure no one is stealing anything (like they do at Sam's Club).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Captain Bravo posted:

The best is when you pull up to a stop sign, and someone else pulls up, and you both believe the other has the right of way.

"No, no, you were first."
"You're on the right, you've got it, go dude!"
"Is... is he going? He's sitting there, I'll just go. Wait! He just moved! Stop!"
"Crap, what is this guy doing? Why won't he just go!?"

I think my record is 30 seconds of glaring at someone until they finally move.

That's why 4-way stops are idiotic and priority on the right is superior.

Someone coming from your right? You yield to that motherfucker. Simple as that, no confusion about who came first and who killed who.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Someone coming from your right? You yield to that motherfucker. Simple as that, no confusion about who came first and who killed who.

I loved this in Iceland. Yield signs almost everywhere they would have stop signs in the US and it worked really well. The only stop signs I saw were entering main roads from side streets or parking lots.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

I hear driving in Belgium is a bit of an adventure because they use priorite a la droite and people come from all over the world there and don't know of this rule.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

KozmoNaut posted:

In the USA and Canada, 4-way stops also have priority on the right if you arrive simultaneously.

South Africa (IIRC, it's been 14 years since I visited) has 4-way stops but does not have priority to the right; it's a bit of "who dares, goes."

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

What's protocol for if they're turning right (i.e. to go the same direction as you)? It seems like every time I don't let someone out I get slow-motion t-boned as they creep into me from the parking lot while giving me a death stare, and every time I try to leave space to let them in front of me they sit there and refuse to go because they want to get across five lanes into the left-hand turning lane within the ~1/8mi between their exit and the intersection.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I may be a dick in this regard, but gently caress letting people out of parking lots, especially near a busy intersection. It holds everyone up behind you. They can wait for a gap in traffic, as I've had to do many, many times, and will have to do many more in my lifetime. Like waving somebody through a 4-way stop when you have the right of way, you're only inviting trouble.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Geoj posted:

Are you referring to people who pull over on the left-side of the freeway, often into the almost non-existent shoulder? Not only are they loving themselves out of any chance of the officer letting them off with a warning by way of making them get out of their cruiser in heavy traffic, they're also loving everyone else by essentially shutting down that lane and causing a backup.

Well that too, but I was more wondering about people driving like morons when they are in the right lane.

A cop hit his lights and rolled up on a guy in the left lane. With 4 of us in the right. The suspect slowed down and The first car in line on the right slowed down to just about the same speed. The first two cars effectively blocked the suspect and the cop in the left lane for about 3/4 of mile.
It ended up with a car stuck between the suspect and the cop, when they do get over, and then we are all stopped behind the cop because the traffic on the left has kept moving at a solid speed.

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 11, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

EbolaIvory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ibs6gyABz8

Yep.
gently caress people not using blinkers.

He didn't signal when he ran the rear end in a top hat driver off of the road. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geirskogul posted:

I may be a dick in this regard, but gently caress letting people out of parking lots, especially near a busy intersection. It holds everyone up behind you. They can wait for a gap in traffic, as I've had to do many, many times, and will have to do many more in my lifetime. Like waving somebody through a 4-way stop when you have the right of way, you're only inviting trouble.

I think you need to use discretion. There are some parking lots around here that it would basically be impossible to exit during rush hour if no one ever let people in, since traffic is always backed up from the nearest lights to the parking lot exit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The only time I will let someone out is if traffic is completely stopped. Otherwise, if you're stopping while the traffic is supposed to be flowing, you're causing the aforementioned backups.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
To go along with the 'slowing for every bump' homo hatin' half tonne hate; why do they also slow to a drat crawl to turn a corner? I know your stupid truck is top heavy but I think it can manage a corner at more than half the speed of smell.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bovril Delight posted:

The only time I will let someone out is if traffic is completely stopped. Otherwise, if you're stopping while the traffic is supposed to be flowing, you're causing the aforementioned backups.

Yeah, gently caress stopping if traffic is going, but I'll leave a gap for the car leaving the parking lot if the light is red. If they don't take it by the time light turns green (if they wanna make an immediate left, say), gently caress 'em.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CharlesM posted:

I hear driving in Belgium is a bit of an adventure because they use priorite a la droite and people come from all over the world there and don't know of this rule.
I've never heard of that, and since it's not even named in my language, I don't feel bad about that at all.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Geirskogul posted:

People love to hold up a line of 20+ cars to let that one guy out. It's insane. My rule is if the light is red I'll stop and let people out all day but if I'm coming up on green then nobody's getting out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Today a lady got to a 4-way and started frantically waving me through while I was still a good 5-seconds away. :psyduck:

I was turning right, she was straight across turning left. She could have easily turned and been far enough ahead I would never have had to slow down for her.

People are weird.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I can't count how many times, here in Oregon, I've moved to the left lane of surface streets at a light because there's a semi, bus, or other big, slow vehicle on the right. Say I'm stopped behind 3+ cars. Light turns green and instead of comfortably accelerating past the big vehicle, I get to watch as it leaves me in the dust because every loving Oregonian driver lives their life like it's reverse Speed.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TWBalls posted:

He didn't signal when he ran the rear end in a top hat driver off of the road. :colbert:

Well he didnt want the guy to know he was coming :colbert: :smug:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Uthor posted:

If I see I'm pulling up to a stop at the same time as someone else, I tend to slow down and creep up to the line so I get there after they've already come to a complete stop. That seems to flip the "I was here first" switch and they just instinctively go first.

I do the same thing. It just makes things so much easier than trying to deal with the "wave, creep, stop, wave frantically, go halfway through and then stop and wave some more" that you're going to get if you meet them on their own terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
John Mulaney is the people we share the road with. I imagine a lot of other general public drivers have the exact same thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqtIyftTiWI