Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

although the modern trend of DRLs with no rear lights has sort of killed that advantage.

A thousand times this. A modern set of rear LED-based DRL can't actually draw enough power to even be measurable on the mileage, can they?

What's worse is that half these cars have a switch you can flip, and there'll be DRL all around, but people can't be assed. None of those will ever remember to switch on their lights in dusk, rain, dark mornings/afternoons in anything not summer etc...

I personally think that was a major blunder allowing that, but I think it's an EU-wide thing, so All Hail Brussels, I guess... just wish that the Po-Po would start cracking down on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Idly browsing the for sale section for stuff for E87s, I come upon these wheels:

I'm sure those two tires had excellent grip, especially in the wet.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Probably lens distortion in the camera, I believe the ad said that the rears had 0% tread left and the fronts 80% so...

1-series are notorious for chewing fronts, so maybe some steel wire stuck out and their mechanic wouldn't let them go without getting new tires or something.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BLARGHLE posted:

I met somebody today that we should all be thankful we're not sharing the road with!

I got a call today to go unlock some old mercedes(I'm a locksmith), and when I get out there I find this impossibly old woman who can barely move around, hear, see, or seemingly remain cognizant of her surroundings. While it's not my place to decide who can and cannot drive, I'm very relieved when I can't find her keys anywhere in her car- she then tells me that her daughter or grandson probably have them, since they don't think she should be driving, but it's her car god dammit, and she'll drive it if she wants to! She has me come inside, and tries to get me to call them for her, which I politely decline, as it's really not my place to get involved in this sort of situation. She calls her daughter who doesn't answer, then calls her grandson who picks up the phone just long enough to tell her he's busy with work before hanging up and turning off his phone.

She leaves him two lonely, pleading voicemails before I manage to excuse myself, and the whole thing was just very :smith:...

While that's quite :smith:, many elderly, my granma included, don't really know when to say stop and have no business being on the road at all. I really hope that when my time comes, I'll have the balls to call it quits in time, and be in a position where I'm not dependent on a car.

I have major respect for my late granpa; when he was in his late seventies he took the bus down to the police station and turned in his driver's license, stating that now he had driven for many years with only a few minor accidents with only material damage, and that he would hate to end it with hurting someone now. He then took the bus back home again, sold his Daihatsu Charade (which I should have bought off of them if I had half a brain) and distributed the proceeds amongst his grandchildren.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There was actually a case here where some motorist was using the radar YOUR SPEED IS ___ displays to calibrate his speedo, and then got a speeding ticket (because it was off). He (or rather, our equivalent of AAA) took it pretty far up the court system, but in the end he lost.

The average sign is probably more accurate than the average speedo, though, especially considering that wheel circumference might not be what the speedo was calibrated for.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
On my morning commute I was stopped for red, in the right turn lane, in a fairly big intersection. But I got out the door a little late, so rush hour was winding down, and on the particular road that I was turning on to, traffic comes in weird waves due to other lights. Long story short, there was probably 30 secs left of my red light, and the intersection was empty.

So this dude two lanes over from me, stopped in the left-turn lane, suddenly did a perfectly executed left turn. On red.

I honked my horn like a maniac, mainly to alert anybody that hadn't seen it. He stopped for 10 secs in the middle of the intersection, then did his turn, and went on his way. Nothing happened, and he didn't get plowed down by forty tons of semi-truck.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking a bit at the address on Google Maps, it seems it's all surface parking, but one lot is about a meter above the other. It looks like the blue car flew off its level and hit the gold SUV on the fender/hood area with its left rear wheel, thereby rotating like it did.

Still, what speeds would you have to be going to do such a thing, and even if there was no brakes, why would you not catch at least some of it with the parking brake?

The funny part is that the gold Ford is probably totalled while the blue car could be saved.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's actually quite amazing what a vehicle will do when the stars of physics align just right. Like this evergreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4e3HtTwYs

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

The rear tires on the flatbed were easily 25%-of-sidewall-height compressed.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It happened today! I flashed my brights (two long ones, as to convey friendliness, if that's at all possible) at a white Hyundai with no rear lights and then he turned them on!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
They do this around here too - when there's a perfectly fine six foot wide bike path right next to the road. But oh no, gotta look like Lance.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Are the lifts even linked so they at least run in unison?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, they're the standard type in Europe, they go green->yellow->red and red->red+yellow->green.

Makes it very easy to see if you should brake for a light that's turning red, or just release the gas a bit for a light that's turning green.

I no poo poo had a girl in my driver's ed class who simply couldn't comprehend this scheme.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's not quite as bad as in certain places but it for sure isn't always pretty.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

I've seen something similar happen at a track day. It's really impressive how much getting one side off the pavement really fucks up some people. When he's going from left ditch to right ditch, why doesn't he brake for all it's worth?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Three elderly ladies on their way home from bingo night managed to not see a 62.5 meter semi transporting a wind turbine wing, and proceeded to collide with it. Worst injury was a minor concussion.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Michael Scott posted:

http://vimeo.com/112263732

:nms: Warning, almost certain death in this video, no human gore, just car gore.

Skip to 30 seconds in.

e: Sorry, just noticed the dashcam thread, which this would be more appropriate for!

Well, on the upside, there's a flatbed right there!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, it is true where we're from. The car I took driver's ed in had all three pedals replicated in the passenger side.

My instructor could parallel park from the passenger seat. :smug:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've recently become employed in the Bluetooth headset industry, and there's really no excuse to not get one of those. The low-tier ones are dirt cheap. Just practice a bit what it takes to answer/hang up, and don't be an idiot about operating the phone while driving.

They're also awesome for calls to chatty people. Mount headset, tidy the place and fold laundry with both hands while talking to grandma.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I had an identical situation a few years back, and to my surprise, the assignment of fault in that situation is 1/3 to BMWanker and 2/3 to you. Yes. The reason being, that when you perform a left turn, you always have to yield "the most", plus that otherwise you'd just be able to turn left into vehicles passing you, with impunity.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a lovely situation. I was actually run into, and he was going way too fast for both the limit and conditions. No personal damage though, so we got off the street, and out of our cars. This is were the fun started.

Other guy claimed the car was his brothers.
It was on Swedish numberplates.
He told me quickly he knew a good mechanic.
He had called at least two different people on his cellphone within the first two minutes.
He claimed he lived in Denmark, at an address that later turned out to be a city park(!)

At this point it should probably be pointed out that driving a foreign car in Denmark, as a Danish citizen, is very, VERY forbidden. Otherwise we'd just all do it, seeing as cars a literally half price or less elsewhere. The original owner has to be with you in the car, and in this case, he obviously wasn't.

I never heard from him again. There was only very little damage to my car, and it was a shitbox so I didn't care. In retrospect I should have called in the cavalry, but it was very close to my apartment and he already had half his family on the phone.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

So if you hit someone who is going the wrong way into oncoming traffic (presumably) across a double yellow, it's your fault because you were turning left? :wtc:

Not sure what happens if there's a double yellow, but assuming a standard, two-lane road where passing is allowed, and a person turning left onto a side road (think T-intersection) while another is passing that person, the fault assignment around here is 33/66.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Correct, but in the case of a collision in the "wrong" lane as a result of a car turning left into another car that tried to pass it, that's the law. I was surprised too, but when I read about it, it kinda made sense. You're allowed to pass and you're allowed to turn left.

Frobbe posted:

This happened in Denmark, so rules and regulations are of the Danish kind. You can basically pass anywhere there isn't full lines.

This too. Other jurisdictions could be different.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Oh, China...

1. Don't stop on the freeway.
  2. When you've haven't stopped on the freeway, don't start backing up.
  3. When you're not backing up on the freeway, don't loving do it in the lane when there's a perfectly good shoulder.
  4. When you're driving a bus down the nearly empty three-lane freeway, don't Facetime with your ladyfriend. Keep your eyes on the road, at least once every twenty seconds.

Haha, that site is a goldmine:

http://www.newsflare.com/video/28689/travel/truck-driver-performs-amusing-illegal-u-turn-on-highway-in-china

bolind fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 18, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So if I get a ride in your car, with you driving, and we get pulled over and it turns out I'm not wearing a seat belt, you get the fine/points, and you're cool with that?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cool, but I think you'll find you're in the minority.

Mind you, in practice, I will STRONGLY urge any passengers of mine to wear a seatbelt, to the point kicking them out/not letting them ride again if they don't comply. Not only is it the law, it's also a drat good idea, for everybody involved. But I'll never take on the responsibility of others' actions which are ultimately out of my control.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Apparently this is now illegal around here. "Improper use of high beams." So now it's a $200 fine if you flash your lights, even if you're warning someone about something legit, or trying to tell them they should turn on their drat taillights.

On the plus side, they've rolled out a load of new mobile speed cameras. It's in the sacred name of safety, but the $100 million in annual projected fines are part of the fiscal budget.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

So then what the gently caress is the "legal" use?

Having on high beams at night, with no traffic, on an unlit road, I guess

Powershift posted:

My truck has a "flash to pass" button. which flashes the high beams. It's a normal thing to do in 95% of the world.

It used to be a normal thing here too. (And probably will remain so for decades, in practice.)

I don't get it either, but it came up in a discussion about warning other motorists about said mobile speed cameras.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm just mostly impressed that the VW kept the wheels down and were able to roll to a stop. And also, gently caress that guy. Trucker dude could maybe have been a little less assertive, but when you actively merge into the side of a semi you just passed just to arrive at your destination 0.2 seconds earlier, you kinda deserve what you get.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Didn't the US make the third brake light mandatory years ago?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can someone enlighten me to the reason for the field sobriety test? Can't the guy be breathalyzed or hauled off for a blood draw right away?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dumbass makes things go from bad to worse: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ac_1427743476

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SyHopeful posted:

It looked to me like there was a center curb that he went over, severely damaging the LR suspension, then panicked and tried to drive away. The fishtailing after he crosses back onto the right side of the road is the LR wheel, broken and toed the hell out, pulling the rear to the left until the right rear wheel catches traction, pulling it back to the right until it loses traction in the slush.

Yeah, if I had to make a guess, I'd say he done hosed up, twice, but I think there's a slight chance that he didn't. Slippery roads, down hill, hosed suspension... Still, I'd love to be able to see the exact same situation with "both feet in" the second he knew he was done for, during the first median pass.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Holy poo poo. No one really knows why that SUV pulled out like that, but that's the shittiest of deals for the truck driver. What the hell is he going to do?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
A young bloke was pulled over on the motorway today, according to the local po-po's twitter.

Doing 171 km/h.

In a 110 km/h zone.

With a trailer.

For which the limit is 80 km/h.

Without a valid license.

Apparently, the table for the fine doesn't even go that high. Any infraction with a trailer is an automatic doubling of the fine, and that speed in that zone (with a license and without a trailer) is a cool grand (USD).

In a way I'm disappointed it wasn't in a construction zone and he wasn't driving drunk. Might as well shoot for the stars.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

This is the same thinking that leads to people staying in the middle lane for miles despite the crawler lane being empty. Here in the UK it was recently made an offence to 'hog' the middle lane when the crawler is empty. I have seen people pulled over for it as well, which makes me all warm inside.

Oh man, this would make me so happy. I've done a lot of travel on three-lane highways, and we can't overtake on the right. So, so many times I've come upon the center lane hog, on an otherwise deserted highway. If there was room, and the maneuver was safe, I'd make a point of signalling and performing two lane changes, overtaking, and then signalling and changing lanes all the way back again. They got the point about a third of the time, I'd say.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Holy crap, we're running a campaign next week to keep right on the freeways! Offenders will be ticketed!

With an informative video too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABs1t7vNiJU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably looked just like this classic, except on the right side of the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ6CPIM1ZCs

Holy gently caress, I researched that a bit, and not only did he do it in an '85 Firebird, he actually lived to tell the tale, relatively unscathed.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've also noticed several new mercedes parked at night with one rear running light stuck on - it usually seemed to be the driver's side/opposite the curb, so I started thinking it was a nighttime parking safety feature but I don't know if that's actually a Thing.

That was a euro-feature years ago, but I haven't tested it or needed it... ever, I think. It's usually implemented so you have to park with your blinker stalk either up or down, depending on which side you want lit. Made for curbside parking on narrow, unlit streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

The thing about this is that the on-ramps around Philly are only about 50ft long, and hit the highway at not quite a right angle, but at such an angle that all of the oncoming traffic is perfectly in your blind spot.

Oh yeah, that's the best angle. Looking over shoulder is useless, mirror is useless.