Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I support the Get A Dashcam movement. Worst case, you are out ~$60 and it never saves your bacon in court. I've had my DVR-207 for a month and I've collected the highlights from my 15 mile daily commute on the eastside of Seattle. Audio is muted so you don't hear a really obnoxious book on tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNYZacujMU&hd=1

Now if only I could capture the sheer volume of people driving with one hand while staring down at their phone in dense but quickly moving traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Solar Coaster posted:

Hahaha, I grew up in Kenmore and for 2 years I lived at the Juanita waterfront (now I'm in Bridle Trails). I gotta say, this is pretty drat accurate. Downtown Kirkland has some of the dumbest drivers around here. So much stupid. The civic that blocked the light at that intersection? Happens Every. drat. Light. There's always a joker trying to squeeze in there.

When I get my DashCam next month, I'm hoping to capture all sorts of stupid in the Redmond area too. This is also due to the fact that Redmond's population grows by 111% between 9 - 5 each work day.

Take 148th for example. Dual carriage way with a speed limit of 40mph. Everyone crams into the left lane, leaving the right wide open. They then proceed to do 30 in the left lane.

I used to do the Redmond commute down 148th and it is exactly as described, but then throw in the random speeding guy once in a while to keep it interesting for everybody.

Having a dashcam presents a moral dilemma though - the downtown Kirkland intersection is full of people inventing new traffic rules, and avoiding the area by taking side streets is slightly faster. But if I go home faster, I won't have any videos worth saving. It is immensely frustrating dealing with tailgaters knowing they aren't on camera, and for every incident I can get a clear shot of, there are 3-4 that happen 6+ cars ahead that just don't show up on video. That is almost as bad as forgetting to put the memory card back in for 2 days, or seeing an awesome driver in plain view and realizing I am driving a different car. SIGH

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

some texas redneck posted:

I usually grab the inside lane if I can, as the turning lanes are striped to give me 2 lanes to choose from. This is one of those "3-10x a week" things for me at this loving intersection. So far I've had two hit and runs at this intersection before I had a cam, thankfully both were minor enough that it was just some scuffing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg04jgVPROI

Every. Goddamn. Time. If I'm on the inside lane, someone cuts in and I have to brake. If I'm on the outside, someone takes the turn too wide. If only the road painters could put some sort of dividing lane marker down in the intersection so people would know where to drive safely!

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
More Seattle driver highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2cEgT5Qq0&hd=1

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Even if I could get a license plate from the video, would it be of any use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUV4dmAl40

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Oh yeah, to the dude posting the dashcam videos of kirkland, have you noticed how many people have been driving black/silver cars at night without lights now that it's getting dark early? I've never seen another place in my life that is so full of oblivious drivers.

At least I can halfway understand the reasoning that leads to people not turning on their lights, however flawed it may be. I am way more bothered by people driving with their brights on during daylight hours, whyyyyyyyy.

I thought I had dashcam gold when I pulled up to an empty 4-way stop, looked to my left and saw a bicyclist approaching, and then started to make my left turn. He blew his stop sign so he could slow way down in front of my car, and when I gave him the horn, he gave me the finger for a little while before continuing on his way. Went to pull the video files later and discovered the power plug had been nudged so none of it was recorded :(

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Driving home today on I-5 North just past Centralia. I have cruise control locked in at 75 in a 70, keeping right except to pass like a boss. This is working great as I steadily pass a line of cars stacked up in the left lane, with the 2 other lanes completely empty. But I digress.

I eventually come up to an RV in the middle lane, a big one towing a Jeep. I stick to my right lane and pass him, at which point he starts picking up the pace and switches to the far left lane. Every 2 or 3 miles there is a sign saying no trailers or anything over 10,000lbs in the left lane, so that is cool, and also the speed limit is 70 for cars, 60 for trucks but I'm not sure if an RV officially falls under that category. I can see what he is trying to do though, there is a semi truck a little ways up and the RV wants to get alongside me and force me to brake rather than stay ahead of him. At this point I still have plenty of space ahead and behind, so I pick up a little speed and get in the middle lane. I'm briefly doing 80 when he starts to fly by me in the left lane doing at least 85, Jeep swerving back and forth behind him. Awesome. He zooms ahead 1/4 mile and then backs off, which means in a few short minutes my cruise control speed will let me pass him again. This whole sequence of passing and being passed happens another 3 or 4 times.

Now we are getting close to Tacoma and the speed limit drops to 60. He's at least a mile ahead and just cruising in the left lane. But wait, once again, cruising at 5 over catches up to him but in much more traffic. I switch lanes to pass and he switches to block me. I switch back and so does he. WTF. I wait for another car to pull alongside him and switch lanes to pass as well. He pulls out immediately behind me and tailgates me for a few miles, maybe 20 feet off my bumper. I can hear his horn going as he edges closer. There is now 4 lanes of traffic peacefully moving down the road at around 65mph, with the sole exception being a giant RV tailgating a car in the passing lane.

I called the police to report it since I saw cops everywhere. 20 miles later a police car auspiciously merges onto the freeway right next to the RV, but alas, the moment(s) had passed and he wasn't doing anything crazy at the time. No police bust, but he did drive calmly from there on out. Justice?

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Of course there is always someone pulled over on 405-N during rush hour, but no cops around at night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shh2z9D5ufM

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Beach Bum posted:

Protip, assholes: If I can't see all of both of your headlights in my mirror and the largest distinguishable feature is the manufacturer logo YOU'RE TOO loving CLOSE. :argh:

Don't be hogging your slipstream like a dick, he's just trying to save fuel

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Say I'm on an empty 3-lane highway doing a brisk 63 in a 60, in the right lane. Coming up is a car in the middle lane going 58. Do I have to switch 2 lanes to go around, and 2 more to get back to the right lane, or do I stay in full-on keep right except to pass mode? This is in WA

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
There is a park and ride in Kirkland that embodies the special kind of stupid around here. It's a large lot but there just aren't enough parking spots for everyone, so people start parking along curbs wherever they can. It is annoying when you are trying to leave and all the lanes are now tight and clogged with cars, but that's not the special part. No one wants to be the last person to park in a valid spot and have to walk 200 yards when they can just park along a curb right next to the bus stop. So now the curb spots that choke off traffic through the parking lot are the first ones to get taken, even if there are empty real parking spots mere feet away.

And no, King County Metro won't ticket or tow like their rules sign says, they say they will just issue warnings to cars parked badly.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Chinatown posted:

It happened yet again. Inside left lane of a dual left turn coming off a freeway offramp on my commute. Lady decides to cut directly into my inside lane during the turn. I basically expect it every time now so I laid on the horn the instant it started. Feels good man.

Did the honking prevent the lane change? I find it always goes ignored. I did witness someone go from the inside lane to the outside during a left turn, and it was right in front of a cop who promptly pulled them over. Soooo satisfying

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Dashcams are for bikes too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guFfYYxjwyE

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

turtleluvr posted:

... I was cruising with the flow of traffic behind a big truck (a commercial vehicle, not a pickup) at about 5-6 or so car lengths going about 50mph. Now if I was reading this I'd be saying, "hold on a second, 5 car lengths really?" but I drive a manual transmission and I really hate changing gears and all that poo poo when people are braking and just not being smart so I like to keep a good distance so I can just back off the accelerator and not have to brake at all.

So you were following too close and couldn't dodge a road hazard in time? 5-6 car lengths in at best 1.5 seconds at 50mph.

Went to see the local C&C this Saturday, they had police presence there at the start and lots of reminders to not drive like a jackass and cause them to lose their spot. Then when I left I saw this Porsche that just couldn't wait to floor it, followed by an R8 racing him on the onramp, cutting off a semi truck and braking, then zooming off in the left lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iMBSZ388hM

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Mooseykins posted:

I really wonder if some of you were in a situation where you came around a blind corner to find an oncoming vehicle in your lane, would you just go "RIGHT OF WAY, MOTHERFUCKER!" and hit them head-on, or go "Oh gently caress this!" and make an evasive maneuver.

If its an animal in your lane you should hit it rather than go offroad and damage your car. Insurance won't pay out unless there is a dead animal, just looks like you drove like a dumbass and tried to blame it on a deer.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Do we have time for another pair of Portland cyclists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPeGuufW0g

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Saw a 20-something girl block the entire crosswalk at a red light, with pedestrians having to walk around her. When the light turned green, she pulled almost all the way through and blocked the intersection because traffic hadn't cleared yet. I saw she was texting the entire time so I knocked on the window and asked her politely to hang up her phone, and walked off. Her response was "I wasn't moving!"

Sigh I'm old now and I shake my cane at stuff

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

dennyk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RHJyTn0F4
Two turn lanes?! How does this work? :saddowns:

This happens so much I just expect it. There was one time when I was on the outside of 2 left turn lanes with a cop behind me, and the car just behind me on the inside lane decided it would be a great time to take the outside lane too. She got pulled over and I still get a justice boner thinking about it

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Almost made my day yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfCVwVU0ClA

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TYqUYl7wL4

There was no one behind me, you just had to wait one more car :( I only stopped honking because my hand slipped off, gotta work on my technique I guess

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I understand pulling into the intersection and waiting for the red light to make your left turn, but this is a new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_R7PcoU53A

edit- she doesn't even look my direction, I should use my powers of invisibility for awesome

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

leeanator posted:

Her intersection technically, until the driver clears you have no business being there. You don't know if there isn't a hazard in her way you cannot see. Especially on a bike, you weigh much less.

Technically I entered it first on a green light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

wayfinder posted:

God that poo poo is aggravating. I call it Formula-1 style turning.

Both lanes turn left onto a 4-lane one way street, so it is literally the largest turn radius possible. Yet somehow the Jetta needs to swing right first, because performance? I pounded on her car and she didn't even look up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj8pAHrISZY