Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Could you edit that out dotchan? I've been pretty lenient about spoilers thus far, but that's a pretty big one. Don't worry, we'll get there eventually.
Edit: Thanks.

Also, update is on the previous page. I didn't realize we were so close to a new one.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

What dude is saying is that we can't tell you, that's Trinity's best-kept secret. :v:

That said, I don't think Cube is ever actually explained at all. Not what it is, not what it does, not why Trinity keeps it a secret. And I mean that in the sense that I don't remember it coming up in the supplemental materials, either.

Maybe it's really just some guy.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Is the angel brooch a piece of equipment or a story item?

I rented this when it first came out. I beat Emelia story, but couldn't get anywhere in any of the others. About the only thing I remember about the game was getting though without much trouble till I hit the final boss, and then being stuck till I spent hours grinding.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

dude789 posted:

Could you edit that out dotchan? I've been pretty lenient about spoilers thus far, but that's a pretty big one. Don't worry, we'll get there eventually.

Also, update is on the previous page. I didn't realize we were so close to a new one.

Oops, yeah, that's a pretty huge atomic flying spoiler. It's since been edited.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Sorry about it being so long since an update. I had a business trip this week and didn't have my personal laptop. I think I should be able to get one out either tomorrow or Saturday, but if not it will probably be another week since I'm going back for the business trip next week. At least after that there should be no more business trips on the horizon! Just think of it as building anticipation.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back! Today we'll be finishing up Emelia's tale and also showing what can happen when you get too cocky in Saga Frontier.

Last time we saved our game right outside the chapel. Let's go inside shall we?

Emelia, you're thinking of Ren, aren't you?
Still carrying your wedding dress with you?

What? No why would she be carrying that around with her when she's about to fight Joker.

Yes...
WHAT!?!

Then you can forget it all and go on with your life.
Maybe...

:ughh:

At least Roufas has the right idea.
Babbling? This is important. Though you'd never understand it. Let's do it Emelia.
:psyduck:

You can change back there.
Umm...We're completely off guard. This is a mistake.
You look so beautiful.

Of course....

:siren:Last Battle ~ Emelia:siren:

So here we have Emelia's final boss the Diva. As you'll see, she gave me quite the problem and I wasn't able to beat her until about two hours of grinding bit by bit, testing the waters to see if it was enough, and grinding again until I was able to beat her.

Unlike most enemies in Saga Frontier, the problem we have isn't so much taking damage as it is dealing it. The damage you see above is from either Emelia or Liza using a 4 hit Definitely Super Costly attack. Right now both of them can do this 3 times. The 3 hit version does about 3500, and I couldn't get the 5 hit one to trigger in each of my fights. As of right now, Annie can do 1000 with her sword attack, and Roufas can do about 700 because he's stuck with a lovely Samurai Sword. This was the biggest reason for the roadblock. Annie and especially Roufas's poor equipment really hampers my damage output. If they had Zero Swords the would probably be doing about 2000 apiece and I probably wouldn't have needed to grind up.

Bosses in Saga Frontier are also affected by encounter rank like most enemies so that they also get harder as you fight more. However, I think there are less "boss tiers" then there are for random encounters. It feels like their are 4 or so tiers of bosses compared to 9 ranks for enemies, but I don't know for sure. If you don't believe me watch a speed run. It's kind of funny to see an endgame type boss goes down in about two 5000 damage combos. Sadly here I think we're just strong enough to get one of the stronger versions of Diva which means that she has about 80,000-90,000 health. Seeing as we can only deal about 50,000 damage or so before our resources start to get tapped out this is a problem.

Offensively, Diva has two main forms which are indicated by her poses. Her first form which is seen in all the screenshots so far focuses on lightning attacks. The first and most basic attack is just to use Thunderbolt, Thunderball, Bolt Breath, and Bolt Blast all in one round. Ideally, she's first target the entire party with Bolt Blast first and give them all a Bolt Barrier thus reducing the damage from the rest of attacks in the sequence.

I haven't talked too much about barriers, but most fire, ice, or bolt attacks have a chance to create a fire, ice, or bolt barrier on a character. These barriers significantly reduce damage from that type of damage (as can be seen in the screenshot above on Roufas) and also deal a small amount of damage if an opponent makes contact with an active barrier.

Her second option in this form is to use Stun Gaze, Charm Gaze, and Death Gaze on three characters. If you have have the right accessories this is a wasted round, but I don't so Charm gaze on the wrong person can be a death sentence.

Diva's final attack in this form is unique to her, and basically deals big thunder damage to all characters. Not really complex, but quite effective.

After a few turns Diva will change forms into her second form shown above. This one focuses more on physical attacks.

Unlike her first form, this form has 4 actions it can perform. The first is a combination of Blade/GroundHit/Heat Smash/Tornado/Dash and it's probably your most dangerous attack sequence. It's entirely possible to lose 3 characters at once if she hits two separate characters with Tornado and Ground Hit and then hits a third with the rest of the attacks. Her other three attacks are GaleAttack which does weak damage to everyone, MajinRampage which will probably kill one character, and Headbutt which will lightly damage one character and probably cause them to lose a turn. Overall while this form has Diva's most dangerous attack sequence, it's probably a bit preferable to the other form because Gale Attack isn't to threatening, Magin Rampage only takes out one person, and Headbutt is practically a free round.

Eventually though we just run out of juice and while it takes Diva a while to beat us, we don't have enough WP to win the damage war. So it's time to grind.

Along the way Roufas learns Still Stream. It won't help too much because his weapon is still trash but 200 or so points of damage more is 200 points.

One of the first goals of my grinding was to get White Rose to learn Mega Windblast so she can actually deal some damage.

White Rose is probably the character who improves the most and becomes an integral part of the winning run. I noticed that she was tanking attacks pretty decently in my first attempts so I decided to go in whole hog and have her absorb some Trisaur's to get the Vitality boosts. The result was spectacular. She had about 90 or so Vitality added onto her base stats. I also had her cast Vitality Rune on herself so she had about 120 HP's worth of Regen around. The spell you see above is Light Sword. It's an interesting spell that gives the user and extremely powerful Sword type weapon that boosts their stats by 10. It also gives the user a Deflect ability so they can block certain physical attacks. These factors made her pretty much invulnerable.

NEW INFO: It turns out the main reason White Rose was tanking hits so well was due to an obscure mechanic where enemies classified as "Lower class mystics" will due 1/4 of their usual damage to PCs classified as "Upper class mystics." White Rose is an upper class mystic and Diva for some reason is a lower class mystic. In fact, if you so choose you can bring a team of 4 out of 5 of Zozma/White Rose/Asellus/Silece/TimeLord to accompany Emelia and all of them will take 1/4 their normal damage!

You can see the results here. This run came close, but it wasn't quite enough and we ended up losing becuse Emelia lost all her LP, but this is rather late in the fight and White Rose still has all her LP and her HP is full. The Light Sword spell also gives White Rose a decent physical option to fall back on. Between the sheer power of the light sword and her Strength boosts, basic physicals were doing about 900 damage.

This is in the middle of our last grinding session. I noticed that I had started seeing Genbu's occasionally amongst the Trisaur's so I decided to absorb one for White Rose. Genbu's Sacrifice a bit of Vitality and Strength for more Psy to make Megawindblast stronger, but more importantly they give Griffith Scratch in the Sword Slot giving White Rose about 4 more rounds of 2000 damage while maintaining her invulnerability. Triple Thrust is a nice bonus that ups Annie's damage by about 50%. Along the way Liza picked up enough WP to use 4 Dream Supreme Combos. Emelia also got some extra WP so she can fall back on Gun techniques after her 3 big hits.

It's also worth mentioning here that you should always, always, always make sure you have at least one Sanctuary Stone in the final dungeon. I used up my first two on my first two grinding attempts so for the last couple I've been saving, using the sanctuary stone, and reloading afterwards to go grind some more. JP and WP are integral to Human and Mystics success, and if they run out, their effectiveness is severely reduced. Mecs can regain their WP by fighting other mecs, but if there are no mec types around you can add them to that list. It's very difficult to become completely and totally stuck in Saga Frontier, but without a Sanctuary Stone you can set yourself up so that you have to get creative with monsters. That can take so much time that it could be more efficient to just start over from scratch.

Our attacks from those Dressed-in Silly Combat-clothes attacks are doing a bit better too. It's incredibly stupid that Emelia has her dress with her, but it does make for a pretty spectacular final battle. Chokes McGee mentioned how the Saga Games always made for great one sentence descriptions of events, and here we have "An ex-super model turned secret agent wearing a wedding dress is suplexing a Hindu goddess monster who interrupted her fake wedding." Who wouldn't be interested in that?

This time though we had just enough and Annie finishes Diva off with one last Triple Thrust.

It was still close of course. Annie is almost out of HP, Emelia is unconscious with about 3 LP or so and Emelia and Liza are completely gassed WP wise.

But a win is a win.

It seems our fantastic battle has caused the Cathedral to burst into flames.

What do you mean?
:yarr:Emelia, shoot him! Aim for his mask!!

:yarr:Now, tell me where I can find Cube, and I'll take that Angel Broach too.

:yarr:Fine. You're DEAD anyway. No, don't you touch my Emelia....Nooooo......You dare disobey me? Emelia...Hurry...Shoot this mask...

..Ren!...REN!!!

*GUNSHOT*

Contented

So it seems that Joker was Ren all along! And of course that creates a whole bunch of plot holes that the game doesn't care to address.

The most significant of those being if Joker was Ren then what was that body we saw in the first update?

Don't worry, that will be explained somewhat in our last update for Emelia's tale where I discuss how Emelia and Fuse's tale intersect. We'll also go over differences between the two endings.

For now let's just enjoy these very anime pictures of the cast. They are very ~*sugoi*~

And it looks like Ren made it out okay after all :unsmith:

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 26, 2013

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Why are you still using that Katana anyway?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Why does this game make absolutely no sense so consistently, you would have thought that by sheer chance there would be a few coherent plot points in there but nope.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Pneub posted:

Why are you still using that Katana anyway?

The Katana's actually still serviceable (30 WP) right now. It's the Samurai Sword that's bad (18 WP). It's like I mentioned before. I just got to cocky. I thought I'd be able to catch Diva on a lower HP threshold where the DSC and some change would be enough, but nope! Had to deal with the 80,000+ version. Also I was poor from buying equipment for Emelia and didn't want to grind up cash.

Theoretically, if I had bought either of them a light spell, I could have spammed that until I luck out and they learn Light Sword. That would have been a substantial damage boost.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 14, 2013

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
To be fair grinding cash the normal way in this game is a huge pain. You don't get money for the most part, you just sometimes get drops you can sell if you're lucky.

I really hope you aren't actually going to grind out cash on an all Mec run.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah I gave up on the story and im on the ride for the quirky and draconian gameplay.
What I need/want is a summary.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

dude789 posted:

The Katana's actually still serviceable (30 WP) right now. It's the Samurai Sword that's bad (18 WP).

Oh right, I forgot about the Samurai Sword.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've always been amazed by the utter lack of sense Emelia's story makes.

The other ones do have actually reasonably coherent stories for the most part, though. So that's cool.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

dude789 posted:

It's also worth mentioning here that you should always, always, always make sure you have at least one Sanctuary Stone in the final dungeon. I used up my first two on my first two grinding attempts so for the last couple I've been saving, using the sanctuary stone, and reloading afterwards to go grind some more. JP and WP are integral to Human and Mystics success, and if they run out, their effectiveness is severely reduced. Mecs can regain their WP by fighting other mecs, but if there are no mec types around you can add them to that list. It's very difficult to become completely and totally stuck in Saga Frontier, but without a Sanctuary Stone you can set yourself up so that you have to get creative with monsters. That can take so much time that it could be more efficient to just start over from scratch.

If you have a character in your party who doesn't participate in combat, like in slots 6-15, they will actually gain about 5 WP and JP for every battle, so you can regenerate them without using a tent Sanctuary Stone by switching them out one or two at a time or, for the main character, switching all four out and using your second party.

And I'm a big fan of using vitality rune on everyone during boss fights.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobologist posted:

If you have a character in your party who doesn't participate in combat, like in slots 6-15, they will actually gain about 5 WP and JP for every battle, so you can regenerate them without using a tent Sanctuary Stone by switching them out one or two at a time or, for the main character, switching all four out and using your second party.

And I'm a big fan of using vitality rune on everyone during boss fights.

This feature also makes running two or three separate teams a viable option. If your main team starts to wear down, simply switch the backup team(s) in for a few battles and Team 1 will be good as new. Granted, this also means you need to keep those teams somewhat decently trained, so that's even more grinding, but I'm a big ol' munchkin, so that's not a huge deal for me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

This is my favorite part of her scenario.
"Are you all ok in that raging inferno, with only one exit that I am currently standing in front of? Liza and Roufas, I know you were both unconscious when it blew up, but can you hear me now, asking if you're ok?"

The whole "holding JOKER at gun point in front of the burning chapel" would have actually been an awesome scene if any of it made a lick of sense.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Man, those 'detailed' 3D models of the characters of this game are just a gosh darned relic of the PSX era. Also, I would've sworn I've seen a page in the Essence that has every character like that, or rather a detailed version of their sprites.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Thwack! posted:

Man, those 'detailed' 3D models of the characters of this game are just a gosh darned relic of the PSX era.

Much like your posting.

No seriously, you avatar has the exact same proportions as them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Look at this sleazy fucker. That smile says "I'm totally willing to drug you and sell your body."

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
SaGa games are notorious for having horrible roadblock final bosses. I think Romancing SaGa 2's is near impossible to beat normally since it gets up to 7 turns at a time throwing nonstop heavy damage skills at you.

RS3's final boss isn't as bad, though you do have to kill four bosses to make it weaker, its final form has a constant HP drain on your party, and it uses skills that make your party redirect their attacks on each other, or possess your dead party members to attack someone (and by then your regular physical attacks can do well over 1000 damage)

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Pneub posted:

Much like your posting.

No seriously, you avatar has the exact same proportions as them.

Well yeah my avatar is from a PSX game.

Much obliged though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

erotic dad posted:

SaGa games are notorious for having horrible roadblock final bosses. I think Romancing SaGa 2's is near impossible to beat normally since it gets up to 7 turns at a time throwing nonstop heavy damage skills at you.

There are a lot of factors at play that make RS2's final boss a total dick (Haha, you didn't ever have a Pirate as a ruler during the game so you didn't get the Rapid Stream formation? Sucks to be you! Didn't research the right magic spell combinations so you can effectively heal HP and bad status? Too bad sucker! Missed out on the Evade: Charm tech because you had a male MC when you spoke with what's her face? Hope your final party is all women then!).

On the other hand, it's really impressive to see players tackle it in tool assisted runs because they can completely shut it down.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Will your recap include the obtuseness of the 'good/bad' ending branch off point?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Emelia and Fuse's Quest and Final Notes

So, as I mentioned in the Casino update, the split off point for the good and bad endings is kind of obtuse. When you're chasing Joker in the sewers under Baccarat if you decide to follow Joker deeper into the sewers you will eventually fight a monster named Gargantu. After defeating him, he will drop a Purple Eye accessory which Emelia says is a gift that she gave to Ren. Annie and Liza try to talk her out of it, but Emelia starts to suspect that Joker is actually Ren. This is confirmed during the ending scene in which Joker tries to convince Emelia to join him. Instead of shooting off the mask, Emelia just shoots Joker and kills him outright. Afterwards, Roufas relieves the depressed and exhausted Emelia from her position at Gradius and Annie and Liza attempt to cheer her up.

Here's a video of it I found if you want to see it unfold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=skGGU1vh_p8#t=7m26s (if the timestamp is being difficult go to about 7 minutes 25 seconds) I also love how they recycle the picture of Emelia from the good ending which clearly has Ren standing right beside her for the bad ending.

Secondly, let's talk about The Essence of Saga Frontier. The Essence of Saga Frontier, or Essence as most fans call it, is a giant book of background information and other tidbits about the game that didn't make it in for whatever reason. There are scans if you so choose to look for them. They shouldn't be hard to find but I will not be linking them because that would be :filez:

Bits and pieces of Essence have been translated with the most significant chunk being Chrissy's translation of Fuse's story over on Gamefaqs which can be found here and here. Fuse's story was supposed to be included in the game as the 8th scenario that would tie all of the scenarios together, but due to space or time constraints or both it was left out. I'll be posting tidbits from Emelia's tale and feel free to read through the story yourself although keep in mind there will be significant spoilers for all of the other quests.

-First of all, I don't believe any of Fuse's scenario is necessarily cannon, but it's fun to believe that it is and makes the game a bit more lighthearted in tone. If the log is to be believed, all of the playable events take place over 10 days with Emelia's scenario being one of the first ones to wrap up.
-Fuse doesn't particularly care for Emelia even before he thinks she killed Ren. In a sterling bit of police work he sends her to Despair before they can even completely identify the body. Apparently the body had been completely mangled due to high caliber bullets. It would later be revealed that the body was actually made up or synthetic flesh or something similar that the Bio Lab in Shrike had been researching.
-It's actually Fuse's fault that Ren turned into Joker in the first place. Ren found the Joker mask in Sei's Tomb while on police work and Fuse convinced him to put it on while they were out drinking and Ren was boohooing about a recent fight with Emelia. It immediately took control of him.
-The Gradius headquarters is an Italian restaurant with Roufas as the chef and Liza as a waitress. Fuse cops a feel on Liza and she pins him down using a martial arts hold of some kind. The scuffle alerts Roufas who comes out swinging his Samurai Sword which Roufas also uses to cut the pizzas.
-After Roufas kicks Fuse out of the restaurant Fuse sees Annie and mistakes her for a prostitute which results in her trying to cut him with her Laser Knife. She almost kills Fuse but Dr. Nusakan is able to save him.
-Fuse runs into Emelia disguised as the Pink Tiger during the Arcane quest where she's helping Rouge get the Shield card. Fuse makes them carry the giant iceburg with Suzaku trapped inside down a mountain and into a transport ship. If this doesn't make since yet, we'll cover this during Blue's quest.
-Fuse is sent to Yorkland to investigate Joker along with Gen and T260G. After much drinking they head up the mountain path leading to the chapel. They run into Lute and Thunder who inform them that Emelia dressed in her Wedding dress, was fighting both Joker and Diva. Once she changed into her Pink Tiger outfit she single-handedly beat them both.
-Upon reaching the Chapel Fuse finds Emelia beating the poo poo out of Ren. Once she sees Fuse, she performsa 5 hit DSC on him. Afterwards, Emelia runs off and breaks up with Ren.
-Fuse and Ren spend the rest of the evening drinking and watching Diva dance.
-At the end of Fuse's scenario all the characters join together to beat the big bad guy. Everyone contributes something with Emelia and Liza smashing him with two Skytwisters, Annie hitting him with a Rosario Impale, and Roufas using a Lifewave spell on him.
-At the very end, Fuse actually starts dating Emelia where she proves to annoy him by showing up at his work in her various costumes.

So that's about everything regarding Emelia's scenario in Fuse's adventure log. If there's anything I missed or something else you want to point out or address regarding Emelia's tale from any point in Essence feel free to share. This is really the only part of it I'm familiar with and I'm sure there's lots of cool information and other goodies inside that could help make sense of some of the poorly explained plot points.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

dude789 posted:

So that's about everything regarding Emelia's scenario in Fuse's adventure log. If there's anything I missed or something else you want to point out or address regarding Emelia's tale from any point in Essence feel free to share. This is really the only part of it I'm familiar with and I'm sure there's lots of cool information and other goodies inside that could help make sense of some of the poorly explained plot points.

The actual circumstance of Emilia being thrown into jail is kind of amusing. I'll just paste it verbatim here.

quote:

"How about you just 'fess up already? The evidence is all over the place, Miss Former Supermodel."

"You're nuts. Something's seriously wrong with you. Someone! Get someone else here!"

In a dimly lit room, my voice and that of an angry woman were running together.

I was in IRPO's interrogation room. It had barely been two hours since my face-to-face meeting with Cindy Campbell.

Ren had been killed. The first one to discover this was the woman in front of me - his fiancée, Emelia. But judging from the scene, there was no mistaking it, the culprit had to be her. Sure, Ren had been drunk last night, but there was absolutely no way he could have been shot to death without drawing his own gun first... Unless the one who shot him was his own fiancée.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but we're understaffed on officers, due to all kinds of reasons. With a good cop like Ren dead, the only people left to question suspects are myself and one other woman. With her out at the moment, that only leaves me!"

"And I'm telling you, I saw the culprit! It was someone wearing a mask that looked like a Joker on a playing card. He was running out of Ren's room!"

"Hahaha, I'd love it if you could introduce me to a jolly guy like that! Of course, this is reality we're talking about here. Or maybe you can explain to me why the only fingerprints found on the gun in question were yours?"

"That's... I was in a panic and picked it up..."

"Are you telling me there's someone dumb enough to pull a comic book stunt like that in this day and age!?"

"Well, excuse me! You're looking at that someone now! Let me talk to someone else already!"

The conversation had been going in this same circle, over and over. It was starting to seriously test my patience.

In the first place, going back to Ren, this Emelia woman never gave me a good impression. A straight-laced guy like Ren didn't belong with some floozy model - Just as I had been thinking that, tragedy struck.

And yet Emelia showed no humility or regret, continually denying things and insisting some imaginary masked man was the culprit. What a woman. Ren must be spinning in his grave. I'll pull all the authority I can to throw this woman in the slammer with a life sentence in Despair!

Just then, I got a contact from Doll, who was transporting Ren's body. Leaving Emelia to her ranting, I went to the access point.

[We've got a problem. You know that body? It's gone.]

"Say what!?"

[There was an accident while we were driving, and we got caught up in the chaos. Then, well, you see, Silence, umm...]

The way the story went, the ship had a near collision with the living legend Tanzer while traveling between regions. Then, of all things, Silence apparently opened the hatch and went out, in an effort to use a Mystic weapon to try and absorb it. When he did, the body slid out of the ship, flying way off into the chaos.

"God, how many times do I have to say it? Silence is a moron. A tremendously retarded cosplay freak. He's a narcissist who's so obsessed with absorbing things that if you leave him alone, he'll spend months on a stakeout with that sullen face--"

"Yes, yes, I get the point. The main thing here is that we have a problem on our hands."

drat right we've got a problem on our hands.

Ren's body had been shot through with large-caliber bullets so many times that there was no putting him back together. It was barely even distinguishable as a human corpse. With that fact, added to the fact that it was found in Ren's house, wearing Ren's clothes, all we could do was designate it as the victim. If we couldn't do a proper autopsy, then that put into question whether we could nail the woman for felony murder of an officer and send her to jail...

"Okay, Doll. I'll handle this."

[Wait, what are you planning to--]

I cut the line and placed a call to Despair. I had a hotline to the warden's office.

"Hello? Is this Mr. Million?"

[I'd recognize that crazy voice anywhere. Got a request?]

"Hey, good guess. Actually, I'd like you to admit one female prisoner as a major felon in the 50+ year sentencing category. Could you handle it as a favor to an officer?"

[I can't make any promises on the prison term, but sure. We haven't had many lively prisoners lately, so it's been pretty boring. I sure hope she's got some spunk and wits about her, like that man in the sunglasses who was here way back when--]

"I don't know if she'll meet your hopes or not, but I owe you one."

That settled that. All that was left was to send Emelia to Despair. An evil woman like that needs no trial. I am the law. Ren, consider yourself avenged.

Summary: They lose the (synthetic) body, but Fuse is so sure that Emilia did it that he has her thrown into jail without a trial and pats himself on the back for it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

dude789 posted:

Emelia and Fuse's Quest and Final Notes

Is this for real? This sounds like a deranged dream sequence.

quote:

-Fuse and Ren spend the rest of the evening drinking and watching Diva dance.

Especially this part. :wtc:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hokuto posted:

Summary: They lose the (synthetic) body, but Fuse is so sure that Emilia did it that he has her thrown into jail without a trial and pats himself on the back for it.

ACE*DETECTIVE

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SSNeoman posted:

A couple of the final bosses are much less dangerous than they seem in game. Some of them like Diva aren't really malicious at all, and a bunch of others get taken out with WACKY hijinks.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

SSNeoman posted:

Honestly my first thought was that the entire thing sounds like someone's ~amazing fanfiction~ *DO NOT STEAL*

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Raitzeno posted:

Honestly my first thought was that the entire thing sounds like someone's ~amazing fanfiction~ *DO NOT STEAL*

Essence's additions really do make a lot more sense when you realize that the writers basically took all of the stuff that was left on the cutting room floor, regardless of why or how it was left there, and tried to string it all into a coherent narrative.

So in a way, it kind of is like fanfic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if they ditched the tie-in aspect, I would have much rather they kept THE WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE than Rikki.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SSNeoman posted:

So, like the rest of the game? :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So does Emelia actually give a reason for breaking up with Ren? And for dating Fuse? Besides trolling him with the costumes? I admit that might be a good reason on its own, but still.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

... WACKY hijinks.

Don't forget the Power of Friendship

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bufuman posted:

So does Emelia actually give a reason for breaking up with Ren?

I imagine she didn't appreciate getting thrown in prison over his "death".

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I imagine she didn't appreciate getting thrown in prison over his "death".

So to get back at him being mind controlled and setting her up for murder, she dates the cops that threw her in jail without a trail....

I love this plot. :allears:

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Well at least Emelia DSCing Fuse is closure enough.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
drat I love this game. Most of the game involves semi-aimless wandering around, but you're doing so in awesome looking dungeons, listening to rad as hell music, with a crazy cast of robots, models and drunks, beating up cool poo poo with even cooler looking attack animations. Seriously, look at that boss's retribution attack - beats the hell out of most modern spell effects, in my opinion.

It was said earlier, but this game (even in it's terribly incomplete state) oozes charm. The in game stuff is charming enough, with the above, but even the nigh-incomprehensible systems and the tons of cut content with the mysteries they contain. And now I want to see a spiritual sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Most of the game involves semi-aimless wandering around, but you're doing so in awesome looking dungeons, listening to rad as hell music, with a crazy cast of robots, models and drunks, beating up cool poo poo with even cooler looking attack animations.

This is pretty much SaGa.txt, right here.

• Locked thread