Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

my dad posted:

This is one of the things that annoy me the most about this thread. Do you just assume that everyone who posts on an English-speaking website needs to know and understand English literature? English is the language of the Internet (along with Russian, to a lesser degree) and a lot of people are forced to learn it in order to communicate in an international community. TvTropes are full of people to whom English is a foreign language.

I keep seeing certain works mentioned as something critical to understanding any kind of literature, but they seem to me like things that should be completely off the radar for everyone outside of English speaking countries. The Catcher in The Rye? The Great Gatsby? Why should I know about these books? Here's an opposite example: I'm a huge fan of Tolkien, but I think that Ivo Andric rightfully received the Nobel prize in literature for The Bridge on The Drina, and that that book is a far greater work of literature than The Lord of The Rings. Should I just call everyone who never heard of the book an illiterate idiot?

Hell, is a degree in literature so critical to being able to analyse a book? I mean, yes, if you have a degree, you should have a much better understanding of the underlying structures, and a billion other things, but the majority of people who enjoy reading don't have one, and they're quite capable of saying why they like/dislike a book or its elements. Why wouldn't there be a place for casual discussion of popular media, and even jokingly pointing out elements which are common in a particular type of media?

And as for people in this thread bragging that we goons understand literature better than the tropers? Remember the Clockwork Orange chat some time earlier in this thread? When another poster used the slang from the book and I replied in the same slang, and the poster said that we, unlike the tropers, actually read the book and understood it? I never read the drat book. I never heard about it until reading this thread. I literally just googled it for 10 minutes and spliced up a fancy-sounding reply, and the results were praised as being oh-so-much better than what tropers do. And nobody called out anyone involved for it. We mock tropers for not giving enough attention to important literatureTM, but just look at the threads in our very own Book Barn. Which books do you think get the most attention? And which books never get more than a failed thread that only gets an OP and no discussion at all?

Sorry about the rant, it isn't meant to be an attack on any of you personally, or a defense of TvTropes. The big problem with TvTropes (other than, you know, being a toxic cesspit of pedophilia) is that it's a casual popular media discussion group pretending to be a serious place to learn about writing, and deceiving people who are just learning the basics by persuading them that they don't need to improve. I'm just baffled by the complete lack of self-awareness I see here.

"Litereature" and "English" are often used interchangeably in American academics. Courses on things like One Hundred Years Of Solitude or Things Fall Apart or The Tale Of Genji would fall under the English department. And sure Book Barn is full of threads on popular books and not necessarily more literary things (I assume, I've never been there). But the thing is that we don't try to pass it off as an academic resource. And seriously? How do you expect people to know that you didn't read a book but went through the trouble of googling the slang from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Install Windows posted:

Well the original versions of Red Riding Hood written down were much more graphic in the violence, but it did not include rape.

Though to be fair, one of the earliest versions has the wolf ordering her to take off her clothes one item at a time before getting into the bed with him. And in that same one, after the wolf tricks the girl into eating her grandmother's flesh, the cat calls her a slut. I would say that Little Red Riding Hood would be the one fairy tale where rape really isn't that odd of a reading of it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember Neil Gaiman talking about that version once: "Throw your clothes onto the fireplace, you won't be needing them any longer," or something like that. Which is true, because she'd be dead.

You can easily argue the symbolism in fairy tales, but characters like the Big Bad Wolf as a representation of sexual awakening/danger is the lowest of the low-hanging fruit.

It's not just "throw your clothes onto the fireplace" though, almost half of the story is him having her strip off her clothes one item at a time. And again, there's also the issue of Red's cat calling her a slut for going along with the wolf's orders. It's not "low-hanging fruit" to read the symbolism that the Big Bad Wolf might represent a sexual predator, fairy tales aren't exactly meant to be particularly deep and challenging.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

The Sin of Onan posted:

If on a winter's night a traveller, by Italo Calvino, is the only novel-length second-person narrative I can think of. In its case, the "you" is you, the reader, trying to read Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveller. It's a very well respected book, and one that probably no troper has ever read.

e:f;b

A Prayer For The Dying by Stewart O'Nan is another second-person novel. Of course it has a lot of similarities to The Plague, so we can just assume that tropers will dismiss it as True Art Is Incomprehensible anyhow.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Harry's solution to this ethical predicament is, of course, to claim that he intends to marry her and wants her to be a virgin at the time, because that's another thing twelve-year-old boys do.

Of course, because they're all sensible, rational actors :reject:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Little Blackfly posted:

Huh, well that's me proven wrong. I never saw any undergraduate classes in a single author like that, but then I never really looked.

Still don't believe the story thought.

Yeah, at my school to get a BA in English you had to take a course on Shakespeare and one on either Milton or Chaucer. TVTropes would have been laughed out of any of them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

TVTropes is something that fits more in an anime club at university than on a term paper (which would get funny looks from the professor at best)

But it's totally an academic resource, you guys :v:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Bargearse posted:

Is she the one who was obsessed with Green Day and used to poo poo up any thread about science or space exploration?

No that was The Snoo, I think.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Gonna go for some low-hanging fruit here:

Yeah the Vagina Monologues bit there really is kind of horrible. The original version included the phrase "if it was rape, it was good rape." It's pretty understandable why that one usually gets cut.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Testekill posted:

I take it back, that is the worst thing that I've read today. How are these people so fundamentally broken that they can type something like that without a full body cringe coming on?

Well, they're right within the context of the monologue. It actually is treated as being a totally good thing and not at all horrible. The text actually describes it as "a good rape."

Of course, that is in and of itself supremely hosed up, but it's not the Tropers' fault this time.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Quinctia posted:

Eh, I think it's a nuance that a lot of bad writers don't understand. In a well written conversation, you don't actually need to attribute dialogue every other line. He said/she said/he said/she said, etc. The answer isn't to replace the attribution with said/queried/quipped/declared, it's to write more smoothly so you're not ending every sentance of dialogue with "pronoun-speaking verb."

Yes, but some of us (self included, circa 2000) were taught in school to never ever under any circumstances use the word "said" more than maybe once a page but even then you still shouldn't really do it and here's a list of synonyms to use instead.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

ArchangeI posted:

Was ejaculated on that list? Because I love that synonym whenever I read it in a Sherlock Holmes story or something Wells wrote. Also I am mentally 12.

I believe it was, yes.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Level Slide posted:

Tvtropes strikes me as the type of place that would be all over that "only 90's kids" crap.

The best one of these I ever saw was someone unironically posting that 90's kids were the first generation to have videogames and theme parks.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Keromaru5 posted:

Also, not to get all Troper myself, but why is Henry Selick god of stop-motion instead of Ray Harryhausen? I liked Coraline, too, but still!

Probably because he also directed The Nightmare Before Christmas which weirdos from all walks of life seem to fixate on.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

sweeperbravo posted:

Honestly there's a lot of insular weird BS here that's just as stupid as at TVTropes so it's dumb to pretend we're any better. It's like the difference between furries and furries with a diaper fetish.

Like I love making fun of TVTropes as much as anyone in this thread (well I dunno I guess some people like it more) but we don't really have that high up of a mountain to look down from

I don't know if anyone was actually thinking that, but just to cut things off at the pass before anyone starts feeling too good about themselves and all :shobon:

And yet, unlike TV Tropes, we ban pedophiles, rather than allowing them to create Boobchart.jpg; it's not that we're on a mountain, it's that they're down in the sewer.

edit:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 31, 2014

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

sweeperbravo posted:

No like I get that and all, but like, that's something that should be a given, not a point of pride, you know

Yes. Exactly. I don't think anyone here is trying to say that this is such a great site, just that TVTropes is absolutely horrible. Which is why we're making fun of it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but I'd say that's pretty much the upper cap. Notice how they switched from fanfic to sort-of-kind-of original fic as soon as they had the skills to do so.

But then you've also got things like Wicked, which may not be amazing but it's a drat sight better than 50 Shades.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Burkion posted:

So how many of those are idiot teenagers who were forced to read the book in highschool and rebelled against it to be edgy and cool?

Depressingly few of them. If I recall correctly the average troper is well past being a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Lovecraft was born in 1890 to parents who were alive during the time of slavery. The Birth of a Nation was the world's first real blockbuster film, released just two years before Lovecraft's writing career began. The KKK was a significant political force throughout most of his life. Yes, Lovecraft was racist as all hell, but it becomes much more understandable when we put it in these contexts.

Also racist as hell but usually given a pass: F. Scott Fitzgerald, who in his final finished novel refers to a dead black man as "friend of the family scrap."

• Locked thread