Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Alchenar posted:

It just needs some sort of Battle Brothers style 'endgame crisis' that triggers after a certain point in time (or that you can go hunting for) as a 'congrats, there will never be anything harder than that on this playthough' moment.

That's probably going to be in the next patch as an Alpha Core revolt of your colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2018/02/12/blueprints-doctrine-and-production/
Basically, instead of a few set variants, AI ships will be equipped with stuff they could have gotten from the place they came from. They will tend to use PD where the base variant uses PD, etc, but they might have a machine gun instead of a vulcan.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Is it really feature creep if it's been part of the design document since day one?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Update is out!

To the blog, I mean, not the game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1062785265981419521

"Finished up last playtesting run!"

IT'S HAPPENING

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Nah, he replied later in the thread with "Building release candidates :)"

This is happening.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

He's rewritten the economy several times between .8 and .9. Here is the final system that .9 will go with.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2018/11/16/starsector-0-9a-release/

WOOOOOOOO!

e: j/k the download links aren't working yet lol

ee: YES THEY ARE

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Literally the first thing my tech miners found on my Class V terran world near the core was a spare Synchrotron. I'm ready to corner that fuel market!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

AI controlled Enforcers (on your side) seem allergic to using Sabots. I've tried several variants equipped with 4x Sabots for kinetics with mortars / assault guns for armor and they just poo poo themselves in the simulator every time.

Sabots are usually only fired by AI to get a ship to overload, not as primary shield damage. Firing too early will make the ship just retreat and vent, wasting missiles, so they err on the side of caution.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Conot posted:

Isn't gas usage consistent regardless, since its based on distance travelled (regardless of time taken to travel it)?

Admittedly a quicker trip can mean less supply usage (assuming your repairs aren't egregious) and time is always a valuable commodity.

Storm riding can actually slightly improve fuel efficency; I was heading home with just shy of enough fuel to make it in a straight line, but some lucky storms got me there with a few light years to spare.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Most people consider the "all ships in fleet" skills WAY better than the "piloted ship" skills, cause you can just hire an officer for the piloted ones. Skills aren't nearly as huge in this version as they were a couple ago, so just get what looks good. The +10% OP tech skill I find pretty hard to argue against.

Is there any mechanical reason not to just set your fleet doctrine to max quality ships on the last of the month to get guaranteed D-mod free ships delivered, or does it average over the past month?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Nope, AI colonization isn't really planned, cause then the player would have to rush out asap to colonize before the big boys snap everything up.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

The only downsides are skipping some of the early game and that you have a bigger fleet which eats more supplies, you still get the stipend and such.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Dassault is the one with the blade breakers, and luckily Soren saw sense and made a toggle to turn them off. Still a shame about having way too many redundant weapons in the mod, but that's more a personal problem of mine.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

0.9.1a Patch notes are up!

Favorite thing I hadn't seen him post elsewhere:
"When losing a battle: special items such as blueprints, AI cores, survey data, etc, no longer have a chance to be lost"

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 31, 2019

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Just in case you didn't know, if you do it at a dock, it doesn't reset CR. If you mean explicitly in space, not that I know of.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah, Dooms are designed to be the best anti-fighter ship in the game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Also, salvage the debris cloud after each research station once or twice. There can be some real goodies in there.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

There is a line somewhere in DMEsettings.ini to turn blade breakers off

E: and by "somewhere in" I mean it's the only functional line in it, lol.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 1, 2019

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

abrosheen posted:

This x100. I like all of those little factions they added, the problem is they aren't *little*. Like, there should be one blade breaker system, it's hard to find, then maybe when you do make contact with it you can trigger expansion and aggression. I'm glad there's an option to disable them now, but I'd rather be able to reduce the number of systems they can be present in.

Aside from the expansion, that's what turning them off does - it doesn't completely remove them, but they only appear in their premade systems, like most factions.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

The sensor penalty from degraded engines isn't all that bad, since your sensor profile (and strength) is only determined by your 5 biggest numbers. If you already have some ships a class above the one with the dmod, it's basically just the in-combat effects.

The "Glitched Sensor Array" one doesn't increase your profile, just decreases strength and weapon range, so is a free one on noncombat ships.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Near-final patch notes for 9.1 up!

And I think you might be thinking of Diable Avionics? They have a bunch of ships that can do short teleports, and the micro-missile launcher is what you described.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Kadur by the good professor adds in multiple features aside from the faction, including 4 rival colonial powers that start up after a year or your first colony, whichever is first.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

If development had stopped the week I bought the game, back in 2012, I would have gotten my money out of it. Instead, I got a free expansion pack every year. Buy this game if you have any interest in it. There's at least one more major expansion, probably some time next year.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Since the last major patch is recent and stable, it's about a year before I'd begin to expect another. This one may be faster if he doesn't include too many new features, but there's no telling.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Voyager I posted:

My favorite is when they eagerly search your illegally purchased warship only to determine that the hold contains no contraband.

bicycle_smuggler_joke.txt

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

Haven't played in a year or more- have there been any major updates?

The one year anniversary of the latest patch was the 10th.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

They have the AI exclusive ability to just not care about wasting your time, is the real problem. Everything else that is that good at kiting doesn't have the CR to sustain it, but they have like 10 minutes before they even begin to degrade.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

victrix posted:

For anyone running 1440p/4k, there a UI scaling setting I'm missing?

I think that's coming next patch? At the moment, though, don't think so.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Only a few more months before update!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

They're getting pretty substantial buffs in the next patch, so at least Alex thinks they're kinda garbage. Flux cost going from 35 to 10 and turn rate from 30 to 80.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've come back to this game after a long time having forgotten about it until now.

Can anyone tell me how to equip fighters to carriers? Or where they show up in the refit screen? I picked some preset fits for a few ships that say they have fighters but I can't see them

To the left of the ship itself, under the pilot.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

You can play a pirate in the sense of "raid convoys, sell your proceeds to the people you just starved" in the base game, though.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Is there any way to see your contacts, like in intel somewhere?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Ah, that tab just doesn't exist until you get one?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Insert name here posted:

I, on the other hand, took the "15% chance to ignore 90% of hull damage per d-mod" skill and it's hilarious; more junk = more good

We're hit! Reaper to bay 7!
poo poo, what did we lose?
Nothing sir, bay 7's been hosed for years

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Also, if you have one of those "Buy my boat!" or other instant bar opportunities, you can save scum it until you get a contact offer. I discovered this by accident after getting a great contact in a good system, then loading and not getting a contact offer the second time.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Sankis posted:

someone should mod this so it's just a total conversion for UC Gundam set entirely in the solar system.

let me fight with space robots

Diable Avionics has totally not Gundams. You can only pilot them using the gust's ship system, I think, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Are there instructions in the captcha channels? The discord looks as usual to me.