Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
A lot of people recommend the Lasher, but I'm leaning toward the Omen as the best beginner's frigate. They're Tri-Tach, but they're the cheapest of those and you can often find them at the Hegemony station. The Omen's EMP special ability is just godly at the start of the game especially against the unshielded Hounds, Buffalos, and fighters that you'll face in the early game, and it's fast enough that you can catch most of the small fleets. Despite being nerfed in this new version (it now actually produces some flux and doesn't let you fire your other weapons while it's going off), the EMP still ruins anything unshielded. The Lasher is straight-up better, but it takes skill to pilot effectively. With the Omen, you just make sure that your EMP is either in use or charging while you concentrate on maneuvering.

Unrelated to the Omen, I and the two other people I've introduced to this game all prefer to swap our turn and strafe keys. A and D should control lateral movement and Q and E should control turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I fairly often leave missile slots open on small ships, not so much the big ones, particularly with frigates that I intend to let the AI pilot. The AI in this game is excellent, but there's one thing about it I don't like. I notice at the start of the battle my Venture or Gemini likes to use its missiles before combat is actually joined. Firing one or two missiles ahead of the pack is basically useless because with no other targets, all the enemy fire will be aimed at those missiles and they don't accomplish anything except to waste my CR.

Missiles and rockets are entirely or nearly flux-free, so you have to use them at the appropriate time. When your Wolf is standing toe to toe with that pirate Lasher and its flux at 90% and yours is at 95%, the computer will hesitate for a second to let its flux go down, that's when you launch your Harpoon.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

So how close are we to Blackrock Driveyards being brought up to date? I'd sure like to start a new campaign this weekend with Blackrock, Shadowyards, the Gedune, and the Kadur.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

unpurposed posted:

Quick question, is there a "Gothic Space Marine" mod in the works?

There is a Battlefleet Gothic mod, although it isn't complete or updated for v0.6a.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5539.225

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Backov posted:

Also, chasing down fleeing ships seems harder than it should be. Every single one of my ships has an Unstable Injector, but they don't seem to be faster because of it in the combat screen.

The Hound is good for this. Cheap as dirt, but with a Hypervelocity Driver in its main slot, it can easily catch those Buffalo IIs, Mules, and Carriers that flee from you. I bring a couple of Hounds with my main fleet that never do any real fighting, but are always deployed to catch enemies that flee.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I'm gonna start a new game to try out Blackrock now that it's updated for .6a - can you guys recommend like 2-3 other well-balanced mods with non-retarded graphics that would work well along with it? From reading the thread it looks like Shadowyards and Junk Pirates are considered good. I see a lot of back and forth on Kadur, should I toss it in?

I just started a new game this evening with Kadur, Blackrock, and the Gedune. As far as I know they're totally compatible with each other.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Speaking of the Shredders it's good to get weapon feedback. What do you guys think about the two new beam weapons? And the Linear Pulse? And is anyone using Robberflies?

I haven't used the new beams yet, but I like the Linear Pulse as Blackrock's entry into the medium flux constant fire small weapon that's filled by the IR pulse laser in vanilla. I'm TRYING to use the Robberflies as a replacement in the skirmisher/pursuit role that Hounds fill when I'm playing vanilla only, but they constantly die. I don't know if this is a limitation of Starsector's AI or if there's something you can do about it, but unlike the Hound, Robberflies don't seem to know how fragile they are. Every time I mount Cluster Bombs or an Antimatter Cannon on a Robberfly, it thinks the best way to use them is to put its nose directly in a Buffalo II's engines and let fly, killing the Buffalo and also the Robberfly. If there's something you can do to make them try to engage at the maximum range of their weapons rather than minimum range, they'd be a lot more usable.

Shredder MGs are good but imperfect, which IMO is what a small ballistic PD weapon ought to be. They seem slightly better against missiles and slightly worse against fighters than the vanilla light machine guns.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

There's a new patch out with a bunch of bugfixes. Download and changelist here:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6822.0

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

You can put the game in Dev Mode, if you don't mind that this is technically "cheating".

Starsector Forums posted:

Dev mode gives you several extra features. It removes the limit on zooming out, so you can get a view of the entire battlefield/solar system if like. It also allows you to CTRL+click and take direct control of any ship in the game, including enemies. (don't cheat now)
To turn on Dev mode go to this directory Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\ and open the settings.json file. Near the top, find "devmode=false" and change it to "devmode=true". Use textpad or another Text editor. Do not use Word, excel or Wordpad, the file will most likely not save properly.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I'll second the Thunders, but I prefer Wasps over Gladiuses. They're individually weak, but they beat any other vanilla fighter because they will always outnumber anything they fight and they are fast enough to capture points first, if that's your thing. Thunders are not quick, but they are a threat to any ship that doesn't have a 360 degree shield. I'll never forget the time a single Thunder wing took out my Nevermore.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Artificer posted:

Railguns work really well in place of the AMs, it seems like. Or the light needler. How do the light needler and the railgun measure up to each other? And how does the heavy blaster and pulse laser measure up against each other?

The light needler is in my opinion the optimum small ballistic weapon against which all the others must be measured. It's amazingly good, borderline overpowered, and should be used in place of heavy needlers (which don't do enough increased damage to justify their flux and OP cost compared to the light needler) when possible. It's one of the most expensive small ballistic weapons, but it's well worth the OP cost because it easily takes down shields or forces overloads, especially when paired, and has a ton of ammunition. It's nearly worthless against all but the lightest armor, but it can be used as manual point defense if necessary. It also has surprising range, beating out nearly every small non-missile weapons with a staggering range of 800. This weapon really needs a nerf as much as I love it, just reducing the range to 400 or even 500 would make it less overpowered.

The railgun is cheaper, has better accuracy (but inferior range, oddly enough), and takes a lot more skill to use. Unlike the needler, you really need to hit with every shot with the railgun. It seems to do better damage to armor than the needler because if you do hit, you're doing the whole 100 damage to a tiny place rather than spreading it around as the needler does. It's also easier on your flux gauge than the needler. Use the railgun when flux or OP are concerns.

The heavy blaster is a precision weapon which does a ton of damage in exchange for two tons of flux. It's best used on ships that are large enough that flux isn't a concern, or small ships that are agile enough to get in close, let off their shots, and get out before they take enough return fire. A Tempest with at least one heavy blaster is a great ship to solo much larger fleets with. The main weakness of the HB is that it only fires once a second, and like the railgun, you have to make every shot count.

The pulse laser is more of a spammy or suppressing fire weapon. With more than three times the rate of fire of the HB and less than half the flux, you don't need to land every shot, you just have to point your weapon more or less in the vague direction of the enemy. The AI in Starsector is programmed to mimic human imperfection and be less than perfectly accurate with every shot, so I like to put pulse lasers on ships that I don't intend to fly myself, and use heavy blasters on ships that I will pilot. It just hurts so much to see my wingmen heating up the void wasting HB shots.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 1, 2013

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Have you tried it with a Tempest?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Burst PD really shine if you get the Expanded Magazines with them, it applies to their burst capacitors. I go with Annihilators on the Paragon missile slots to do a decent bit of damage to medium and large ships once their shields go down, or to push them into overloading.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

No, it doesn't increase recharge speed, but it increases the time between recharges. You think of it as "only one more shot", I think of it as "increases burst DPS of all point defense by 50%", a bargain for only 10 OP on a capital ship, particularly on a Paragon which has 9 small energy slots. If it stops one Salamander from taking out an engine, if it destroys one Nomad Retribution Missile, it's worth it, even better when you're surrounded by pirate Dominators and Enforcers and you just laugh as your light show keeps their Annihilator barrages from even getting to your shield.

The Conquest doesn't have as much strength or durability as the other capital ships, but it's got its uses. I like to send in my Paragon to sit up front on the battle lines and draw all the enemy fire, then call in the Conquest to quickly destroy all of the ships that are focusing on the Paragon. It's hard to solo fleets with because it's vulnerable to being surrounded, it is more useful to quickly get a concentration of firepower where the fighting is already thickest.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Not really, they have a few rapidfire weapons but they're mostly about making shots count, not overwhelming enemies with lots of shots. Off the top of my head, Blackrock's rapidfire weapons include single- and double-mount Shard Cannons (which compete with the Needler having less range and shield damage but more hull damage), Shredder MGs and Shredder MG Batteries (which are what the vanilla ballistic PD weapons wish they could be), and the Linear Pulse Gun (which is halfway between a Pulse Laser and a Burst PD Laser). Blackrock's weapons tend to be less good on paper than the vanilla weapons, but make up for it by having better stats in areas you can't see, such as shot speed, spread, or accuracy.

This is not to say that you shouldn't play Blackrock, because you absolutely should, it's easily my favorite mod and the most well-balanced of the dozen or so I've tried. But if you want rapidfire weapons for capital ships, you should play Nomads, who only have two weapon technologies but a half-dozen variations of each. If you want capital ship rapidfire, put some Ripper Triple Masers on your Paragon. The Valkyrians also have a pretty decent set of rapidfiring large weapons, more variety than the Nomads but I can't yet vouch for how balanced they are.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 5, 2013

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Yamfries posted:

So I just started playing again with the new version and read that EMP no longer does bonus damage against shields. Which is too bad, because I've always liked the mjolnir + heavy mauler combo on my Conquest. What should I use? gauss + hellbore? Storm needler + hephaestus? Try them both and see which I like best?

If you haven't maxed out the +OP skills and/or gotten Optimized Assembly yet, I'd go with light needlers in the medium ballistic broadside slots and a pair of Hephaestus assault cannons on each side in the large slots. When I'm using this combination I set the light needlers to autofire and manually control the assault cannons.

EMP is fun and cool, but it's hardly ever the optimum choice because straight damage disables ships almost as well. Plus, if you're hitting armor with Hephaestus or Hellbores, the enemy ship is a few seconds away from destruction anyway. The only vanilla EMP weapon that I regularly use on my capital ships is the Tachyon Lance because that beast has so much EMP damage that you can hit a Conquest in the engines and it will disable everything up to the front missile slots.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Keep your distance shooting the SQG when shields are up and APB when they're down, taking advantage of BRDY quick vent time. When their flux gets near full, launch missiles to hopefully overload them. If you get them overloaded close in, as the Shredders do decent damage to armor thanks to sheer mass of bullets. The Revenant's drones do good damage but only to targets whose armor is already damaged so you won't necessarily want them deployed from the beginning of the fight.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the step after that? Do I look at getting a transport ship to haul everything? Is there a particular ship I should be looking at? What about fighters?

Depending on whether you're focusing on the technology tree in the early game and leveling up your Navigation skill, you can use a few Hounds to increase your cargo capacity while keeping the speed of small ships, or you can get a Mule or a Gemini and trade speed for more cargo and fuel capacity. If you never deploy them into combat, you can get away with a Taurus instead of either of those, but I prefer the Mule for more armament and durability. The Gemini is just straight up better than the Condor as first carriers go, despite having slightly weaker armor it has much better defense and a more efficient shield as well as twice the cargo capacity.

You might want to try a Tempest as the flagship for your wolfpack. Put a Heavy Blaster on it and see what's the largest fleet you can solo with it. It's been nerfed a little with the combat readiness countdown, but that just means you can only solo an Attack Fleet insteaad of a System Defense Fleet with it like you could in earlier versions. You can actually get away with only using one Tempest and a few Hounds for cargo capacity as your whole fleet, but I'd take two so that you can fight multiple combats in a row.

In the beginning, I prefer Broadswords, Thunders, and Wasps as fighters go. Broadswords are small enough to dodge a lot of fire and more survivable than Talons because their armor's made out of cardboard instead of tissue paper and they have a little more armament. Thunders have an ion cannon that almost instantly cripples the Buffalo IIs and similar craft you will prey on in the early game. Wasps are weak individually but a flight group of them will win a fight against any other vanilla fighter thanks to overwhelming them with numbers. This is important in the first minute of a large fight when you're trying to grab Nav Beacons and such.

It's okay to carry more loot than your cargo capacity, when you win a battle grab all the loot and head back to the nearest station because this costs you supplies at a horrible rate. "Your" station never runs out of space in the latest version, so feel free to stockpile weapons any time it's quicker to get to your station than a place where you can sell them. You'll generally make most of your money from supplies, not weapons anyway.

Artificer posted:

I can't find enough of Blackrock's weapons. Their station doesn't get restocked very often and very much... :(

True, but the pirate station and the Sindrian station both get restocked with random weapons from other factions. I think I've got more of my Shredders from them than from Lodestone in my current game.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

You've got to replace the contents of the "jre" folder in your Starsector folder with the contents of your jre folder from your 64-bit Java installation.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7227.msg118088#msg118088

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Are you sure there's nothing left to fight? A couple of times I've killed what I thought was the last enemy, only to see the battle not end, because they had a single group of Talons or something parked on a nav point off in some corner of the map. It's almost like the computer is deliberately dragging out the battle to frustrate you, but you can handle it by grabbing every point on the battlefield, this will force them to come to you.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I hated the new boarding mechanic because my sacrificial Hounds failed to board successfully half the time. Then I tried using the Valkyrie. It seems that if you vastly outnumber the survivors in the ship you're trying to board, you will always succeed. I have boarded eight times with the Valkyrie nearly full of marines and succeeded every single time. It's probably more economical to just buy the ships, but there's ships in mods that you can't buy in stores or they're very rare in stores.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

What's the best PD when it comes to small ballistics? I've got more or less every faction mod compatible with .62a, and so far the Hiigaran flak cannons seem OP as all hell (like pretty much everything Hiigaran).

BRDY's Shredder MG is worth a look, it's a small ballistic PD that seems to be halfway between vanilla's Vulcans and Dual Light MGs for a reasonable OP and flux cost. Tactical Lasers plus Integrated PD has already been mentioned, but if you have Ordnance Points to spare, you might want to use the Integrated PD with Light Needlers. The accuracy is relatively terrible but they far outrange any other PD. Also, this isn't ballistic, but the Burst PD lasers from vanilla have their true potential unlocked when you add Expanded Magazines, this gives them three shots instead of two.

Everybody swears by Flaks or Dual Flaks, does anybody use Proximity Bombs or am I the only one? I love vaporizing entire flights of fighters or Enforcer Annihilator barrages with a single shot, and they're decent against fast-moving frigates too thanks to their HE damage type and comparatively huge area of effect.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Marathanes posted:

If possible, I tend to fly around in an Imaginos and just use the scalar deracinator to destroy fighter wings / missile blobs. Call me crazy but I love being a picket ship for my AI cruisers and such.

Seriously love the new, non-shield Imaginos.

The current Imaginos has the flux dissipation necessary to use a Linear Pulse Gun as its PD, plus enough OP to use the Integrated PD upgrade. This is as insane as it sounds. If you have the old pre-nerf dev release, you can mount three at a time, which it can still handle.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wish there was a way to unpause the game while I'm flying between planets and looking at the large view map where everyone is a triangle.

You can do that in Dev Mode. Just go into \starfarer-core\data\config\settings.json and change "devMode" to true.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The BRDY Dev version Imaginos is feeling a bit better balanced, with the ridiculous cost, reduced weapon slots, regenerating armor but hull that stays damaged, and flux dissipation that's still high, but not so high that you never need to vent or overload. The problem is that these wonderful powers Shaolin Fuckfiend keeps making, although fun to use, don't seem fair when compared to anything Vanilla's got. Okay, the Hyperion can teleport next to your engines and unleash a barrage of Antimatter Blasters, but you can defend against that by filling the area you expect it to teleport to with a hail of bullets and missiles, and the Hyperion's armor is made of tissue paper so a single lucky hit will do significant damage. The Imaginos can do this, plus its armor is better and regenerating, plus when it teleports in it creates an enormous EMP shockwave, plus it can suck up the retaliatory fire and turn it into lightning. This is badass and supercool and awesome to play with, but how fun is it to fight against? I have a feeling that I'd call it cheap bullshit the first time my Onslaught had its engines disabled and 30% of its hull taken out in the first ten seconds of the fight with no way to avoid or defend against it.

Don't know for certain, though, because I have still never played against the Imaginos. As far as I can tell, there's no way to tell how unfun it is to play against because there's no mission where you fight it and there's no way to choose it as an enemy in the Refit Simulator. I guess I could get lucky and have it spawn in a Blackrock fleet which I then fight, but I've never seen that happen.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Is Kadur still a going thing? I haven't seen a new update for it since the last Starsector version.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

If you delete a variant, modded game or not, Starsector crashes, period. Don't delete variants. It sucks but there's no way around it and as far as I know it ruins your Starsector installation. There may be a way to fix your game but I don't know the precise details. Alex is aware of this but has inexplicably put off fixing this game-killing glitch until the next update.

I don't know of any mods that add unmanned ships, but you can generally put an Atlas in the simulator to show off your ships, it can't effectively fight back against anything.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2014

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I send my Tempest in first to obliterate all the fighter swarms and fast frigate escorts of a large fleet before retreating it and sending in my Medusa/Eagle to do the real fighting. I think the Tempest is my favorite vanilla frigate because it's so fun to slap Unstable Injectors or Augmented Engines on it and then evade five Buffalo IIs' worth of missiles with total destruction never more than two seconds away.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I usually favor vents over capacitors, but an Afflictor with ABs is one build where you want to stack as many capacitors as you have room for.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Hurricane and Pilum LRMs are going to regenerate one shot per 20 seconds according to the new patch feature list, so you're in luck. Apparently all ships are going to have CR timers, not just frigates, and it's that timer, not so much ammo capacity, that's going to determine when a ship is useless for further battle and needs to retreat.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I love Annihilators, they were my favorite missile until the new patch changed the way the Fury works. They still make great screens for your more important missiles as well. A human player can manually target his PD at a Fury or Atropos in a cloud of Annihilators, the computer enemies cannot.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Oh goddamn, you can tell when a crackhead ain't got his crack in a while. Because all he thinks or talks about is crack.

What I'm saying is, the man that normally hands out the crackrock ain't on the corner and I'm getting antsy.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 9, 2014

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Sweet, I can hardly believe we've been talking over these changes for THREE MONTHS. Time to see what unlimited ammo for practically all weapons feels like.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I prefer to pick a fight with the Sindrian Diktat because their system is easy to get to and their Lion's Guard fleets especially have a good fun mix of vanilla ships to fight. They're not profitable because nobody really hates them enough to put bounties on them, but nobody will get offended about you fighting with them either, and you don't miss out on anything crucial if they're completely hostile to you.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Put Phase Lances on that Medusa, murder big ships

Yes, the old 2xHB Medusa is a joke compared to what is possible in this version. And once you get Combat 10 Tech 10 so you can combine all the skills that increase OP with Optimized Assembly then you can fit Light Needlers in the front slots. I'm loving that the new mostly unlimited ammo makes it feasible to run Mjolnir Cannons on my Dominator to murder entire fleets with, but that Medusa will do the same job for a quarter the price of a Dominator plus it has a faster burn speed.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Sure, the storm needler is overpowered and needs a nerf

I thought the Storm Needler was garbage and needed some tweaking. It has switched places with the Mjolnir cannon in this latest update as "powerful but ridiculously wasteful of flux weapon that you have to build your entire ship loadout around and only a couple of hulls in the entire game can feasibly mount it". I have only been able to make it work on a Conquest or Onslaught. If anybody has a decent Dominator build using Storm Needlers, I'd like to see it.

That said, I'd like to see a BRDY large energy weapon to fill that niche too. Something that is even more inaccurate and wasteful than the Scalaron Repeater, how about a Scalaron Deluge, Flood, or Torrent? Small energy has the Linear Pulse Gun, Medium energy has the Repeater, but Large energy only has the sensible and balanced Sunstorm. How about a large energy weapon for those of us that are complete fuckin' idiots?

I think the Ironweaver is about where it needs to be now that the shards disappear when they should and you can't use it to kill a Paragon before it even gets on your radar anymore. The only Shard weapon I feel is "imbalanced" is the Shard Cannon, which is a little too weak. A year ago, people might have felt it was "too powerful", but that was before a bunch of vanilla lasers got their range boosted to 1000 and ballistics lost their downside of running out of ammo. The AI can hardly ever pull this off (unless you're fighting a Blackrock deserter bounty) but my Mantises and Mod Silverfish that I like to pilot as my main flagships in the early game don't fear Shard Cannons one bit because I can vent in between each barrage that's coming at me, particularly once I get double vents and/or Resistant Flux Conduits.

If anybody besides me ever pursues, try cramming five Dart SRMs on a Silverfish-B and using that. You might be surprised how well frag missiles perform en masse, particularly insanely accurate and terribly fast frag missiles that can never be dodged or evaded.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

In vanilla bounty captains usually have skill points. Makes a Hell of a difference when you run into a Paragon who has the power to lose hard flux at 20%, or an Onslaught with the increased bullet speed and target leading powers.

Backov posted:

I bought an Imaginos first. That thing is crazy. Not sure it's effective, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch it zip around, noisily teleporting and sending lightning bolts (which mostly tend to hit my frigates.)

The Imaginos is GODLY, it just needs a fairly high level of player skill. For one thing, its absorption ability (the Scalar Rejector IIRC) turns the Harpoon swarm the computer loves to unleash on you into a power-up. There's a list of piloting tricks for it in the OP of the BRDY topic, but off the top of my head it's one of the few ships you can get that can hit phased ships while they're phased. Both the lightning from absorbing enemy shots and the shockwave from your teleport hurt phased ships, which generally have armor built out of tissue paper so it will only take a few whacks before they're disabled. Just don't let the AI drive it, it seems to be suicidal.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

queeb posted:

On top of this I chose BRDY since I read the stuff is awesome. I can't find any pirates or anything to kill now, seems like everything is massive fleets. Should I switch back to vanilla until i get a better grasp on stuff?

I'd recommend that your very first campaign be vanilla-only, if only because BRDY ships handle a lot better and vent a lot faster than vanilla ships. If you train your piloting skills on a Mantis, every vanilla ship you fly, even high-performance solo fleet wreckers like the Tempest or Medusa, will feel like your vents are clogged with space mud and your thrusters are stuck in first gear. Not everybody does, but it's a lot better idea to learn to drive on a Honda before you get behind the wheel of a Lancia Stratos.

If you have the "massive fleets of pirates and nothing small to fight" problem, I'm assuming you're still early in the game and using a single frigate. Maybe you already know this trick, but the right combination of Tab and Spacebar allows you to quickly toggle pause on the system map, so you can get a choppy but functional real-time map of the system and see where fleets are going. Look for a large pirate fleet that's headed towards a large Hegemony or Independent fleet, then go to where they will meet and wait for them to fight. You can then mop up the survivors. Lots of times they will battle multiple times before one fleet decides to run, you can go ahead and just barge right into their battle once you think the pirates are weakened enough. You get exactly as much experience, bounty, and reputation for killing a Lasher (D) and two Enforcer (D)s at 10% CR and heavy damage as you get for killing them at full power, but it's a lot easier.

Also, if you can afford the fuel, try to do your asskicking in a system where there's a bounty on pirates. Even better is when there's multiple overlapping bounties, such as when Jangala and Asharu both have a bounty on pirates.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Backov posted:

I had one, and bought another due to lack of good other options. However, I am a little underwhelmed. It's probably the way I've fitted it. Can someone share a good fit?

Are you trying to solo with it, or use it as part of a fleet with fighter cover and support? The Nevermore is brutal in a face-to-face slugging match thanks to its signature weapon and mobility, but dies quick if it gets encircled. A loadout using only BRDY tech that I've found to work well is two Ferroguns for long-range attacks and to help shield busting, three Scalaron Blasters which you link with the Antimatter Lance to provide a hideous amount of burst DPS, four linked Darts to utterly ruin any fighters or frigates that threaten to encircle you, and fill any remaining small slots with Shredders and Argus Particle Beams. Put as many vents as you can, and add the Resistant Flux Conduits to make it vent even faster, Accelerated Shields so your shields come back quicker after venting, and Integrated Targeting Unit to give you a decent range advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I thought I was the only one who listened to that while playing StarSector.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 5, 2015