Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
poo poo, its actually happening isnt it

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1169248755226300417?s=19
Qatar 2022 world cup logo unveiled

Its the eighth world cup, apparently
That or its a weird looking urinal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
It's the new Dyson fan that splashes slaves' blood everywhere

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
White girls wrist tattoo
Qat_ar 202

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
If you look closely, it's actually one of those photo mosaics that's made with the pictures of thousands of slaves migrant laborers that have been killed building the stadia for this cursed tournament.

Gigi Galli posted:

White girls wrist tattoo
Qat_ar 202
lol

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Migrant Workers are still dying to build stadiums that will 1000% be abandoned once this sham World Cup is done

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/19/amnesty-says-migrant-workers-still-being-exploited-in-qatar

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

White girls wrist tattoo
Qat_ar 202

please don't post my online banking password on a public forum

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/FIFPro/status/1176222532208332802

No City players, more Real Madrid players than Liverpool players, Harard, this is insanity.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

https://twitter.com/FIFPro/status/1176222532208332802

No City players, more Real Madrid players than Liverpool players, Harard, this is insanity.

Marcelo didn't even play for like half the season.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The fact that Sergio Ramos always turns up in these lists never ceases to amaze me.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

The fact that Sergio Ramos always turns up in these lists never ceases to amaze me.

Messi and Hazard voted for Mane as the best player and yet they're both in the best XI and Mane isn't.

Van Dijk however apparently doesn't pay attention to the matches he plays in and voted Messi first, Salah second, and Mane third.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/uefa-europa-conference-league-third-competition-europa-champions-explained

You guys excited for the return of the Intertoto Cup

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

I liked the idea of smaller teams who don't get into europe getting a go at playing other smaller teams and it was vaguely exciting to read the names of teams I'd never heard of.

The logistics of trying to organise something like that across multiple countries now probably makes it a no go but a european tourny with teams that aren't the normal lot would be good for me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finally a European trophy Manchester United can go for.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

fat gay nonce posted:

I liked the idea of smaller teams who don't get into europe getting a go at playing other smaller teams and it was vaguely exciting to read the names of teams I'd never heard of.

The logistics of trying to organise something like that across multiple countries now probably makes it a no go but a european tourny with teams that aren't the normal lot would be good for me.

I agree that it’s good for smaller teams to play in Europe, I just hope that it doesn’t bankrupt them. UEFA better be putting up a lot of the travel and logistical costs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can’t wait for Jamal Lascelles to hold up a small plaque declaring Newcastle the winners of the Europa Conference League

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

The Intertoto Cup was a cool dude competition for cool dude teams, please don't troll

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can’t wait for Jamal Lascelles to hold up a small plaque declaring Newcastle the winners of the Europa Conference League

More like the Europa Nonsense League.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wazzerphuk posted:

The Intertoto Cup was a cool dude competition for cool dude teams, please don't troll

It is. Scott Parker, legendary.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Europa League with 32 teams from 2021 on sounds cool and good.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Who wants to kick balls with me

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Wazzerphuk posted:

Is that the Phony Pharaoh in the background?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Finally a European trophy Manchester United French teams can go for.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao the world athletics championships are being held in doha right now and apparently all the stadiums are empty and it's a complete disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/30/doha-world-athletics-championships-crowds-iaaf

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

vyelkin posted:

lmao the world athletics championships are being held in doha right now and apparently all the stadiums are empty and it's a complete disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/30/doha-world-athletics-championships-crowds-iaaf

Who could have predicted.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin posted:

Legit surprised they didn't just have their slavesworkers fill the stands

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

pik_d posted:

Legit surprised they didn't just have their slavesworkers fill the stands

They did, lol

'migrant workers from Africa and India with free tickets were being transported in to bolster crowds'

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Was seeing that earlier and how a ton of athletes withdrew cause of the temperature and humidity lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So how many players will have to die of heat exhaustion in the 2020 WC before Fifa abandon it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

So how many players will have to die of heat exhaustion in the 2020 WC before Fifa abandon it?

Did you see the marathon? Started at midnight , 90F+, 70% humidity, heat index of a 104F

41% of the runners DNFd

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Not many?

"Average Weather in December in Doha Qatar. Daily high temperatures decrease by 6°F, from 79°F to 73°F, rarely falling below 66°F or exceeding 84°F. Daily low temperatures decrease by 6°F, from 65°F to 59°F, rarely falling below 54°F or exceeding 71°F."

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Not many?

"Average Weather in December in Doha Qatar. Daily high temperatures decrease by 3°C, from 26°C to 23°C, rarely falling below 19°C or exceeding 34°C. Daily low temperatures decrease by 3°C, from 18°C to 15°C, rarely falling below 12°C or exceeding 22°C."

I translated this to real numbers for anyone who's interested. :eng101:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
good job qatar is going to make magic clouds that stop all that heat so bhutan can go mental against wales in the 48 team thunderdome

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

They did, lol

'migrant workers from Africa and India with free tickets were being transported in to bolster crowds'

then attendances went down and organisers blamed the start of the "working" week

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question:

And this is relevant to these athletic championships, and the World Cup, and also the WWE events in Saudi Arabia and a bunch of poo poo like this.

Do the people in charge care that much about how well they are attended, perceived or received internationally? Coz to my thinking, the main point of them is a bullshit dickwaving exercise saying "look how big, rich and important I am. This event is the biggest, most expensive, so therefore the best in the world. Look at the shiny gold plated things. Pay no attention to the nuts and bolts, or practicalities of of it. Such things are for poor people."

So the Qataris don't actually give a gently caress that nobody is in the stadiums, or indeed will be in their magic airconditioned ones for the WC. The important thing is they get to say they held the world cup, and that the toilet taps in the presidential suite are appropriately shined and gold plated.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question:

And this is relevant to these athletic championships, and the World Cup, and also the WWE events in Saudi Arabia and a bunch of poo poo like this.

Do the people in charge care that much about how well they are attended, perceived or received internationally? Coz to my thinking, the main point of them is a bullshit dickwaving exercise saying "look how big, rich and important I am. This event is the biggest, most expensive, so therefore the best in the world. Look at the shiny gold plated things. Pay no attention to the nuts and bolts, or practicalities of of it. Such things are for poor people."

So the Qataris don't actually give a gently caress that nobody is in the stadiums, or indeed will be in their magic airconditioned ones for the WC. The important thing is they get to say they held the world cup, and that the toilet taps in the presidential suite are appropriately shined and gold plated.

The sponsors care because the whole point for them is to get people to see their brand and therefore fifa itself cares because it can’t sell advertisements and commercial sponsorships for gently caress you money unless there are eyes on it.

E: for a practical example, look at Serie A where some of the stadiums are half empty. The commercial and ad revenue for the league is terrible compared to many of the other big leagues.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eh, if you are trying to sell super computers to the people who poo poo on solid gold toilets you only care about their attendance.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The modern obsession the gulf states have with hosting these events is dick-waving prestige contests among each other. They could care less how the rest of the world views it, and in fact, the west protesting them usually plays into their hands at home.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, don't forget about the :10bux:. It's pretty much all about the :10bux:.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It isn't just the Gulf States either. Every middling-tier kleptocracy and dictatorship is aiming for stuff like the World Cup and Olympics. Look at me, I'm an important world power!

I have fond memories of the Russia Olympics thread. Stray dogs and illogical shoddy construction :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
edit: wrong thread