Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
gently caress it's gonna cost me so much money in travel 4 years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
excited to take in a world cup match in "boston" :toot:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

barnold posted:

excited to take in a world cup match in "boston" :toot:

It's gonna be at Gillette isn't it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

joepinetree posted:

loving lol. I just looked at the division of countries for the 2026 world cup. Concacaf gets the same number as Conmebol. Both Asia and Africa have more slots. Can't wait for Tahiti vs Panama as a world cup match.

Bribes gotta buy something if you're trying to get them

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

silvergoose posted:

It's gonna be at Gillette isn't it

bob kraft just spent a shitload of money on rebuilding the hospitality area at Patriot Place so you bet your sweet bippy it is

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
KC over Denver surprises me, but otherwise it looks pretty much as expected.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm really pulling for KC otherwise my ability to see a game is going to start involving flights and hotels.

What the hell is there to do in Kansas?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Bribes gotta buy something if you're trying to get them

Sure, but you'd think that, I don't know, Chile would be more willing to bribe FIFA than El Salvador. Like, if the format was live this year there would have been a Chile x Syria or Chile x Congo playoff for a slot.

It's going to be great when they finally engineer a WQ for the US to win where they dont face a south american or european team until the final.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

joepinetree posted:

Sure, but you'd think that, I don't know, Chile would be more willing to bribe FIFA than El Salvador. Like, if the format was live this year there would have been a Chile x Syria or Chile x Congo playoff for a slot.

It's going to be great when they finally engineer a WQ for the US to win where they dont face a south american or european team until the final.

Chile doesn't need to bribe them to have a chance to get in or benefit from the exposure and popularity of being a good team.

They are going to keep giving spots to Asia until China gets in by default.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Firstly, KC is in Missouri. But to the larger point, if you're in the north Central US, KC is the only feasible option to see a game live without spending absurd tourist markups on flights or hotels. If they hadn't picked KC the closest cities would be at least a 16 hour drive. I'm not looking forward to what the prices are gonna look like.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 17, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm gonna lol when the 2026 group stage has the USA playing in Mexico, Mexico in Canada, and Canada in the USA

Tortilla Maker posted:

BBQ and the Negro League/Jazz Museums

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

loving cowards not using massive stadiums with loads of available infrastructure for traveling folks

WHY NOT GO TO OHIO OR MICHIGAN

COLLEGE FOOTBALL STADIUMS

THE REEEEEEAL AMERICA

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

whypick1 posted:

Only if Italy calls up Roberto Baggio to also recreate his...assuming they don't gently caress up two qualifications in a row

Three. Assuming they don't gently caress up three qualifications in a row.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

the escape goat posted:

loving cowards not using massive stadiums with loads of available infrastructure for traveling folks

WHY NOT GO TO OHIO OR MICHIGAN

COLLEGE FOOTBALL STADIUMS

THE REEEEEEAL AMERICA

Because nobody wants to go to Ohio or Michigan.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm gonna lol when the 2026 group stage has the USA playing in Mexico, Mexico in Canada, and Canada in the USA

BBQ and the Negro League/Jazz Museums

WW1 museum is also really good

Glad Houston got a pick, that's only a four hour drive for me. Woohoo, World Cup matches.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

mactheknife posted:

Glad Houston got a pick, that's only a four hour drive for me. Woohoo, World Cup matches.

I say this not to be insulting, but "only" a four hour drive is the most american thing to celebrate.

That said, I live 30 or so miles from one of the stadiums and it will also be a 4 hour drive.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I say this not to be insulting, but "only" a four hour drive is the most american thing to celebrate.

That said, I live 30 or so miles from one of the stadiums and it will also be a 4 hour drive.

Take the vape tank and batteries out it'll go faster

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Gigi Galli posted:

we're looking at moving between now and then and if we end up where i want to, it'll go from 4 to 7 so i'll take my 4 hours and i'll love it (i won't, the drive from baton rouge to houston is 270 miles that feel like 2,700)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gigi Galli posted:

The two closest host cities to me are 6-7 hours away by car. 4 hours sure would be nice

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Can’t wait to immediately get beat to poo poo on home turf

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Closest for me is KC at 4 hours, but I have family in Dallas I could stay with who are only 30min from the stadium.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

White Noise Marine posted:

Because nobody wants to go to Ohio or Michigan.

uh yeah that’s why I’m fussy it ain’t happening

traveling to the US for the World Cup then dealing with Ann Arbor, College Station or Tuscaloosa would be hilarious

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I have Atlanta 7 hours away and Miami 5 hours so feeling pretty great about this tbh

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

King of False Promises posted:

I have Atlanta 7 hours away and Miami 5 hours so feeling pretty great about this tbh

OTOH this sounds like you live in florida so rip

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I had a hardy chuckle that at least half the stadiums have artificial turf, and there's going to be some mysterious solution to replace the turf with real grass in time for the World Cup. Takes me back to artificial clouds to hold the World Cup in Qatar in the summer.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

lol they're gonna roll lawn turf out from the local garden centre and it's going to be destroyed within the first minute of the first match

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

lol they're gonna roll lawn turf out from the local garden centre and it's going to be destroyed within the first minute of the first match

I mean, is that what happens when Tottenham roll in a new surface for NFL games?

Most of these stadiums already switch surfaces and we're designed to do so.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Gigi Galli posted:

In 94, I was a 14 hour drive to the nearest game (in SF/Stanford). In 26, games will be in my city (Seattle) with another site (Vancouver) 2.5 hours away.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I mean, is that what happens when Tottenham roll in a new surface for NFL games?

Most of these stadiums already switch surfaces and we're designed to do so.

then how come it's being reported as some big problem to solve

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Butterfly Valley posted:

OTOH this sounds like you live in florida so rip

very true

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

then how come it's being reported as some big problem to solve

I honestly don't know because all of these stadiums host friendlies all the time.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I honestly don't know because all of these stadiums host friendlies all the time.

There is a difference between holding a single friendly or 2 Gold Cup matches in a day on a grass surface brought into a dome vs. keeping it in proper condition for over a week with 9 matches played. Like I don't know what Atlanta has planned, because Mercedes Benz was found to be unsuitable for using grass surfaces in any capacity in a study done last year. When they were making their group stage bid it included statements like

quote:

Technology and advancements in turf science make us confident that we can meet this challenge to give players the best possible playing conditions in ‘26".

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm pretty sure the plan is just to play on the turf. They just don't want to announce it yet.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
At least we'll know if the injury is real

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tortilla Maker posted:

The U.S. state of Montana must have dug deep into their pockets to get the Denver bid.

https://twitter.com/fifaworldcup/status/1537419490958491649?s=21&t=ELk4jsgvVj_W3CYUIb2F0w

its fine it'll be like 40C+ in most of those places anyway the pitch is the last thing to worry about

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah for all the complaints about Qatar, Houston, Miami, Dallas, and I'm sure several others in June and July will be hotter

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah for all the complaints about Qatar, Houston, Miami, Dallas, and I'm sure several others in June and July will be hotter

:rolleyes: Typical American exceptionalism

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

It's OK, after the highly successful Qatar WC we know that we can just move it to winter any time we need.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Most North American stadiums have figured out roofs and AC, which apparently flummoxed Qatar.

I'm sure FIFA will move the dates to November again...

In any event, I think I'd prefer to watch a game in Miami rather than Mexico City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Most North American stadiums have figured out roofs and AC, which apparently flummoxed Qatar.

I'm sure FIFA will move the dates to November again...

World Cup in the snow would be fun.