Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

AndyElusive posted:

I have yet to switch to Trevor during his Scooter Brother moment and at this point I think everyone has solidly ruined the awesomeness of it because now I'll be expecting it.

:emo:

My son got it, was quite a relief as I always cringe when he switches to Trevor but being scooter brothers is very kid appropriate. He says a lot of funny stuff if you stay with your scooter brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Pudgygiant posted:

Where's the best place for an epic police showdown? Somewhere with good cover and not a lot of entrances. I tried a parking garage, it's good until they start landing on the roof.

There is a house south of Trevor's trailer, in the nicer part of town, that is under construction and is covered in tarps and scaffolds. You can climb to a porch that is covered and supposed to be inaccessible, you have a clear shot out one side that cops could fit through if they knew to jump to that balcony, and a small space between the tarps at the other end where you can shoot up the street. I can hold out there pretty much indefinitely, but so far haven't been able to get it to 5 stars.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
You get taller as you go up in level, everybody starts out short.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Damo posted:

Wow, thanks guys. I obviously glossed over that one every time I looked at the options.

Can you fix the lovely aiming mechanic now? Is there an option for that?

In free aim mode, if you lightly squeeze the right trigger you will aim your weapon and you can aim much more quickly than with left trigger aim.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I just did the mission where Franklin steals the Z-Type. I let the owner live and then he calls the cops on me and I get a 2 star wanted level. I ended up doing too much damage to the car and having to go back to the checkpoint. This time I pop the guy in the head and take the car and the mission is MUCH easier.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Chard posted:

I'm just going to address you, but don't consider it a personal callout because I know a lot of people have the same complaint. I love how diligent the cops are in GTA5. Think about it - if you've got an entire city's police plus Private Army chasing you, are they really expected to just drive on roads? I consider it an abstraction; those two cops who leave the highway and run towards you are part of the larger search, but that larger search isn't shown because gameplay. It abstracts the state-wide manhunt for your dumb rear end to a manageable level. If they 'know' you were last seen somewhere in region X, it stands to region that they will canvas X looking for you. Just think of those two 'psychic' cops as the only two unlucky enough to be sent to where you happened to be.

As for line of sight, maybe it's all my time with MGS but I find that it works very well. Dozens of times I've hidden behind walls, in bushes, on top of buildings, under bridges, and 3+ star cops will drive right past. Just don't think that the computer is dumb and you'll do better and have a better time. Enjoy what they've accomplished.

e: if you can switch cars where no one can see you, your arrow on the map darkens to grey. If you don't do anything flagrant, cops will literally drive past you on the same street and not even notice.

e2: this is on the bottom of a page and no one is ever going to read it :smith:

This is part of why I love the mission with Trevor using the Los Santos surveillance equipment that's on their helicopters. You can run someone's record from a half mile away or search for people inside structures with friggin Predator-vision. It explains why it's so hard to shake them.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Chard posted:

^^^ in Settings somewhere there is an option for Camera Height, it is default to Low and should be at High. Makes a world of difference.

People should be aware that this setting can be pretty annoying when you are driving through tunnels or under overpasses, as the POV will often swing down to a worse position than the default Low setting. I have to keep a thumb on the look button when going through tunnels, and since the view distance is further back (and thus higher) on larger vehicles, driving down the highway can be annoying because your POV is dodging signs and overpasses so often.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Ezzer posted:

Is it possible for save fuckery to make a game unplayable? I had to delete saves a couple times to make the game launch correctly (else it would just sit at "launching story mode" indefinitely) and restart from earlier quicksaves. I'm waiting on on of the FIB heists to start as I've completed all the setup missions but michael isn't getting the mission prompt anywhere. The last text on his cellphone is from Steve saying to meet at the el burro parking lot but there's no mission indicator. Other than that the only remaining missions are one stranger and freak for michael and trevor apiece, and the Beverly, assassination and weed stash missions for Franklin. None of those are essential to furthering the story, right?

I think you have to do the first assassination mission for the storyline to continue.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
In the cut scene where an ex girlfriend comes to your house to ask you to help a friend in trouble, does she mention your diamond earrings for everyone or only if you bought diamond earrings at some point? It really struck me when she brought them up and thought it was a neat detail but then thought maybe it was part of her script whether you bought the earrings or not.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't remember her mentioning it so...

Wow, that's impressive. I wasn't even wearing them at the time, but I did buy them after a heist at a visit to Ponsonbys.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Are Michael's doctor visits bugged? My first one he asked me about loving around and Michael said he had urges he wasn't acting on, but this time he said he picked up a whore, but the only person who had done so in my game was Franklin.

You find out later that Franklin and Michael are really the same person.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

The Dave posted:

Sure that wasn't the dude that you give the bike back to? I personally haven't seen any reason to give back lost money because you always lose 80%.

It refills your special ability bar completely. When I need to fill mine I just cruise around until I come across one of those crimes. I guess it's not worth doing early in the game, but when you have a few million it's often worth the 80% of cash to have a full special bar.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

ANGRYGREEK posted:

In contrast, Trevor immediately wiped out the Lost in his area after killing Johnny in a fit of rage, knowing fully well they would try to retaliate sooner or later.

Should I spoiler everything above? The game is out long enough and even I finished it by now, so....

My interpretation of Trevor's killing Johnny and wiping out the Lost was that it was more calculated than that. Trevor is in the middle of building his empire, knowing he has competition he will have to deal with eventually. As soon as he realizes Michael is alive, dealing with his issues with the past is bumped up to top priority, except Trevor doesn't leave unfinished business behind him, so he takes out all his local competition at once. He'd obviously been loving with the Lost and taking advantage of their meth addiction (when he goes to tell them that he killed Johnny they make it clear it's common knowledge he's been loving his girlfriend for a while and Johnny doesn't like it but hasn't been doing anything about it), but now that he has to leave and go to L.S. he can't play around with them anymore and finishes them off (as well as that family of meth producers). If he didn't have that cunning and mental strength, he wouldn't care about the setbacks his empire would take if he just left it alone to go get revenge.

Trevor comes across as the only protagonist with real plans and goals but he masks his decisiveness with his "random psycho" persona.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I was clearing some space on my Xbox and I found I had accidentally made an autosave on the in-system memory instead of on the flash drive I bought for the game. I deleted it, and now the game loads from boot about three times as fast as it did before. What's weird is that autosave hasn't been loaded in more than a month, but I guess the system saw it and had to compare it to the ones on my flash drive or something, I don't know why, but the game sure loads fast now.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Mills posted:

You can just make up the storyline you know! Sydney is a cool city to drive around in.

This. Previous GTAs have established that the USA fought Australia in their timeline instead of Vietnam, so you could have a character who is an American gangster taking advantage of the US occupation of Australia to set up a smuggling ring, an Australian freedom fighter trying to get the Yanks out of Australia, and maybe even a military character who has access to military vehicles.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

MZ posted:

I think there were rumours/stuff that pointed to a pilotable UFO, but it never went further than that (in that nobody found one). Still, GTAV is so huge that it wouldn't surprise me if someone found something a year after release. Equally it could have just been content cut from release because they ran out of time.

All I want is a Jetpack and Bond Car, I WILL PAY YOU MONEY FOR THIS R*.

I hear you, right after I bought the game the second San Andreas-related activity I did after going to Grove St. was to try and find the jetpack in buildings under construction. With the fun use of vertical space in some places and long distances involved in travel, this game needs a jetpack like nothing else. I think one that lets you get up to jet speeds eventually would be great.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Earwicker posted:

I love how the dialogue between the characters when they encounter each other outside of missions changes depending on what's going on in the story.

A lot of the time there's just a bit of awkwardness or yelling at each other about being creepy, sometimes there's a prompt to hang out. Recently though (I'm like 4/5 of the way through the main story) I was playing as Trevor and flew a helicopter into Michael's backyard where he was sunbathing and they got into a huge argument, it was kind of cool that they wrote all that just in case you had the characters randomly meet at that point.

I ran into Trevor as Franklin and followed him around. After several warnings to stop following him, Trevor killed Franklin with one punch.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

I still like that they made yoga a story mission because they knew nobody would ever touch it otherwise.

I've done optional yoga, there is a pretty decent benefit to it, and it's not hard or that time consuming. I wish it was in multiplayer.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
Doing yoga increases your Special Duration stat. It makes up for Michael's Special being harder to grind than Trevor or Franklin's.

Even with yoga I still didn't max out Michael's before the end of the story, Franklin and Trevor maxed out probably halfway in.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I need 2 more people to take to the cult so I can start the quest with Trevor involving them. I've driven around the Alamo sea area for ever and no one shows up. They must know.

Have you tried prostitutes? I haven't played around with them much in SP, but it's fun to collect them and turn them loose in your garage in MP.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The movies change based on time of day. Though one doesn't appear until later in the story.

I went to theaters at all different times of day and never saw any movie other than that weird foreign movie, and I tried pretty hard. I think there may be a glitch where for some people that's the only movie that ever plays (until that storyline related one that shows up later, which also shows up in MP even though that's supposed to be set before the SP game).

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I don't understand how they made any on microtransactions, I bought up one once with some left over money from some other cheap game I bought, the $200,000 level. Not long after that, someone gave me $220,000,000. At what I had paid, it was something like $400 in real-life dollars. People have actually paid over 100 million real dollars to buy money in a game where billions were being thrown around. Can't understand it unless some people are addicted to microtransactions from playing one of those dumb phone games.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Bobtista posted:

When the idiot gets banned please be sure to come back and edit that out of your quote for the rest of us bro, thanks.

I thought that was a screenshot at first, typical Rockstar humor, and I was trying to figure out where in the game there was a pig farm.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I did the heist with the drill and helicopters.

I came across something (and I think a video to back it up) where, after the story ends, if Michael steals a police car, loses the wanted stars, and gets it back to his garage, he can go on pseudo-police missions in the car while wearing the Highway Patrol uniform (if he's fired upon, he can call 911 for backup and they'll help him/he can intervene in an ongoing police chase and not get in trouble for it).

How does that work?

e- I miss the Vigilante missions from GTA:SA and want to relive them in some way, even if there's no benefit.

It sounds like you already know how, give it a shot and report back. I would but I broke my play disk.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

6m 17s: Walk right next to a police car actively looking for you, but outside of their cone of vision, no detection.

Get behind the car a good twenty or so feet, out of cone of vision, spotted.

God dammit Rockstar.

Hah, they modeled the rear-view mirror in the cop car. Awesome

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Re: women/sexism stuff. I'm sure a large reason that there isn't any female protagonists is that the critics would go even MORE insane about how "badly" women are portrayed. Just imagine that any of the 3 protagonists was suddenly a woman, everything else the same. Critics would go insane. "The woman just got sexually frustrated and had sex with a bear! She has a dildo on the nightstand! Glarghgh!" Which is even more sexist saying women are calm and demure or whatever. Expecting women to be nice and pretty and non-crazy in a game where everyone's crazy as gently caress is actually sexist as hell.

"It's such a stereotype that the unattractive loudmouth bitch character is the only lesbian of the three protagonists."

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
If they give GTA6 a female protagonist, they should make it so you can use your camera to scan your face into the game, and put your face on a bunch of beefy male prostitutes you could graphically screw with the female protagonist.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Kelly posted:

Well, they imply it's possibly just a nightmare but like you said, they might just be screwing around.

Without hearing the idea that it was supposed to be a literal nightmare, it seemed pretty obvious. Right at the beginning John is listening to his son talk about a book and he looks like he is about to doze off, and there's an odd few seconds of closeups on his face while he hears his son's voice. Pretty sure that's where the nightmare begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I think they should combine the next Red Dead game with the next GTA. Have a modern and an old-west version of the same map and a way to switch between them. They could either do the multiple character thing and switch between a modern and an old time outlaw, or put a time travel mechanic in it and allow a character to go back and forth, with appropriate reactions for horses in modern times and cars in old times.

If they went with the character switching mechanic, the game could have the old character bury gold or other treasures at the end of certain missions, and you can switch to the modern character and go find it as a reward for not staying in modern times all the time.

• Locked thread