Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

The first half of season 8 was pretty awful; the constant flashbacks were awkward, I didn't care about Benny or Amelia.

Once the boys' grandfather showed up and the Men of Letters plot started up, the season got way way better.

Yeah, pretty much this for me too. The problem with Amelia (and even Benny) was that it was yet another endless iteration of Sam/Dean conflict. "No, this time they are REALLY never going to talk to each other again! We swear! It's OVER!!!" It just gets really old, and it's a thread they need to bag once and for all. Also related is the retreaded ~~*FOREVER ALONE*~~ plotlines for Sam and Dean about how they can never settle down and find true love. OK, so they can't. Let them and us just accept they will be swinging bachelor monster hunters til they die, and we can all just move on.

I didn't mind Benny quite as much, because his own story was actually interesting and compelling. But him as a source of conflict between Sam and Dean was lame.

The Men of Letters stuff and their new Secret HQ is rad, and a great direction for the show (at least til they blow it up in season 12 to "shake things up and get them back on the road like Classic Supernatural").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Darko posted:

It has to be pretty awesome to have a universal constant pretty much telling you you're the greatest ever.

gently caress yeah, only Death can reap the Winchesters!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

So we have an angel in the former vessel of Lucifer. No matter how well intentioned, i can't see this turning out well.

The one thing that will definitely turn out well for this: yet another chance to see some awesome acting from Padalecki! He's played so many different people in Sam's body, and it's always a treat to see him switch things up.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lawlicaust posted:

It's possible Gabriel is still alive as well. He very easily could have faked his own death again.

We can only hope! :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lawlicaust posted:

Cognitive Dissonance. People really, really don't want to believe bad things are real so they invent reasons why they aren't. It's also safe to assume that the governments of the world have been doing some pretty big damage control.

Also all the hunters, including Sam and Dean, spend a lot of time trying to cover everything up so we can all live in blissful ignorance.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Since they all had vessels in the last ep, I envision it as the angels, as they appear in heaven wearing suits, fell. Upon hitting earth they became noncorporeal and bopped into the nearest town and found a willing vessel.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Why can't they just level with Cas that Ezekiel is in Sammy? Dean did tell Cas about him on the phone. I'm surprised Cas didn't ask "hey, where'd that angel go you were asking about?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I watched the last 2 back to back last night.

I'm pretty shocked so many people disliked the Oz episode; I thought it was pretty good. But the dog episode was dire. It was like a bridge too far, even for a Supernatural comedy episode. Somehow I loved Changing Channels and French Mistake but this one was just off.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

computer parts posted:

An episode where they actually chase a beast and not a humanoid would be pretty cool, like a Phoenix or some equivalent (e.g., the Chinese Fenghuang). I'd think it'd sorta be like that episode of Fringe in Season 1 when they try to capture that Chimera.

I think the answer to this is budgetary in nature. See for example how all monsters look human, including ones called "Leviathans."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pentyne posted:

Did Dean kick Castiel out of the bunker with nothing? You think he could have given him some cash or more then 1 set of clothes.

Or one of the cars kicking around the garage...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This was by far the weakest "Young Dean." IIRC it was the last one or the one before that was uncanny.

Also funny, Haven had some Ghostfacers types showing up and thought someone's Trouble was a rugaru.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I guess this means there's some new Prophet of the Lord out there somewhere.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mcswizzle posted:

Daddy Winchester is A) in hell (thanks Dean, geez.) B) not going to return until the last season if I recall from earlier posters much more diligent search through the internet quotes machine.

There's some debate on that, as IIRC the sfx made it look like John's spirit energy was going upwards after his final battle, and Kripke was purposefully vague on it. But the actor, while he's committed to return, said he'd only do so for the final season. So sometime in 2020 or so, at this rate (not that I'm complaining!).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://io9.com/new-hints-for-x-men-apocalypse-warcraft-doctor-who-a-1486844372

BIG NEWS

According to Jeffery Carver, the rest of the season will see the return of THE GHOSTFACERS! :dance:

"I think we can rest assured we'll be seeing the return of The Ghostfacers. They will be making a return in what actually is a really fun and pretty emotional episode."

Also Garth will be back and the new arc will concern Cain and Abel!

Really looking forward to all this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hope Cas keeps the Lincoln. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

frgildan posted:

Wasn't part of the curse that Cain would have to walk the earth forever? Now that Dean has the mark does this make him immortal? Would make the whole burden thing pretty bad. Its the whole outliving everyone he cares about taken to 10.

Next season we timejump and reboot the show as Supernatural: 2514 with Immortal Dean, Ghost Sam, and Cas in THE FUTURE. :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also don't think it came up in the thread, but seeing how Cain shrugged off Ruby's Knife, I'd say it's safe to say he's one of the Five Things in All Creation that can't be killed by The Colt. Probably due to the Mark and God's proscription on killing Cain.

So I guess that would be:

1) God
2) Lucifer
3) Death
4) Cain
5) ?

Some people say God and Death don't count because they are not part of "All Creation." It could be:

1) Lucifer
2) Michael
3) Gabriel
4) Raphael
5) Cain

Eve would be another possibility. You can also go with categories:

1) Archangels
2) Leviathans
3) Cain (and maybe the other Knights of Hell?)
4) Eve/Alphas
5) ?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

I think it was good that it disappeared. It showed that they were is deep poo poo and the thing that they think is their get out of jail free card was worthless.

I dunno, because Ruby's Knife is basically as powerful and Dean uses that as like his main weapon now. If you notice, they never exorcise demons anymore--they one shot them with Ruby's Knife or an angel blade.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One thing that kinda sucks is they seem to be killing off/retiring a lot of the secondary characters. Besides Kevin, the stuff with Charlie and Garth seemed kinda final.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The thing that bugs me about them killing demon hosts with no compunction is this: is it because Sam and Dean have become cold? Or is it because the writers forgot that consequence in favor of one-shotting demons to move the plot along?

I'd like to think higher of the writers of this show, but...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Writer Cath posted:

Well, Dean also has the Mark of Cain on him right now. That could be what makes murdering a little easier.

This has become so backburner the last few episodes I literally forgot about it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:swoon:
I don't care if it was a fakeout or not. Between having Gabriel back and the Ghostfacers, this season has been great for fanservice!

The best thing about it was that there were rumors of Richard Speight on set that were basically discounted just last week!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just realized an awesome reason to have Gabriel come back: Snark-Off vs Crowley. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

By setting the show in the Supernatural universe they made certain that I won't be able to watch more than 5 minutes of it without thinking "I wish Sam and Dean were here, they'd just machete this dudes head off and be drinking beers by dinnertime."

Yep. This show satisfied one itch for me: the one I had where I thought "wouldn't it be awesome if there was a CW show about sexy vampires or whatever and Sam and Dean showed up for an episode and killed a bunch and snarked?"

Like so many ITT have said, it wasn't very Supernatural. poo poo, that Freddy Kruger guy was basically a Hunter. But he was the bad guy? OK, so he accidentally killed a civilian, and he was a little psycho--but aren't most Hunters? Otherwise his M.O. was standard...family killed by monsters, starts hunting them. Does a goddamn good job too. Normally he'd be teaming up with Sam and Dean, but instead they team up with monsters to kill him? :psyduck:

Not to mention the facts that we'd have to be rear end deep in "sexy Monster Family Drama" every week, and have to root for a bunch of the monsters half the time because you know the shapeshifter and werewolf Romeo and Juliet will be protagonists. I also just get a vibe that they'd ignore a lot of the lore and canon like angels, demons, the Men of Letters, and the "rules" of how monsters live and die. It's not like say a Stargate or Star Trek show where multiple spin-offs coexist at the same time and share plots and settings. I think it would be a very tenuous connection.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oasx posted:

I don't want to defend a show that looks awful, but I think you are missing the point. Unlike Supernatural where nobody bats an eye at Dean's racism, this is a show where most of the characters are going to be non-human, they can be good or bad, just like any other person. And if a human murders several innocent people (both human and non-human) then he is clearly the bad guy.

But in Supernatural time and time again, we've seen that in 99% of the cases there are no "good" monsters. It's not a racism thing where someone happens to have a different skin color...their very nature makes them murderous and even if they are doing it just to survive they are still killing, and if they aren't killing by finding some "nice" way to get their fix they eventually can slip.

If you want to have a show with sexy monsters who we sympathize with fine...just don't call it a Supernatural spin off and try to set it in that universe.

Unless I'm really wrong about the creator's intentions, I'm betting if we do ever see hunters in this show, they are the bad guys. That is very UnSupernatural.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

We're supposed to sympathize with them the same way we do characters from The Sopranos or The Godfather. They'll still do lovely things to "civilians" who will be collateral damage, but since most of their warring and drama is "monster on monster" they are the protagonists.

Basically someone said "here's a new twist on a teen-twentysomething monster show: we'll make them mafia!" and someone else said "hmm...but we need to do something to bump the ratings. Let's make it a spinoff of one of our existing properties."

I could be totally wrong, but my money is on it being a spinoff in the same way The Jeffersons was of All in the Family--once they moved on up they never mentioned The Bunkers again. I don't see Crowley showing up, or any demons/angels for that matter. They probably won't touch that mythos. Or Death. Or some hunters coming to town and calling up Garth for intel.

If I'm wrong, and it does appear to be a fairly tightly shared universe, I'll give it more of a shot. But I'm not holding my breath.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If there's not at least a throwaway joke about how "we missed out on the bloodbath in Chicago with the other Hunters" I'll be disappointed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

computer parts posted:

Presumably reapers are Angels of Death, ie they're like regular angels but they report to Death.

Which makes me wonder how her boss felt about her reporting to Castiel...

Too bad about her. Another recurring character (and one of the few to humanize Dean) bites the dust. This season is hell on recurring characters.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think in some cases, a meatsuit sort of transcends what it was. With Cas, Crowley, and probably Gabriel their bodies have been around a long time or destroyed and recreated. It definitely happened to Cas and I'm pretty sure Crowley has been rebuilt once or twice. And when he's vacated his meatsuit it just sits there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

cool kids inc. posted:

Awesome! The guy they cast as the Messiah last time around was kind of a killjoy.

It is interesting that the one piece of Judeo-Christian mythology they haven't tried to touch with a 10 foot pole is Jesus.

I guess in universe it's just a "he was part of God" but you'd think it would be addressed somewhere.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's all just a preview of my upcoming "Gender Politics and Supernatural" panel at the next Supernatural Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When I see those gifs I just keep imagining they're caps from the episode where Dean has to go undercover as a douchebag.

And now I want to see that episode.

• Locked thread