Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Who* on earth thinks it's a good idea to haul their goddamn phone out and play an explicit cartoon sex game in the break room?

*some dipshit who thankfully doesn't work in my division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Seriously, save that one for the bathroom where you can jerk one out too at least!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Who* on earth thinks it's a good idea to haul their goddamn phone out and play an explicit cartoon sex game in the break room?

holy crap lois

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dragonshardz posted:

Powershell is the best thing.

Powershell fuckin' owns and all the haters should get with the times.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Why the hell is it so hard to get SAML/ADFS to play nice with Salesforce? I can't test my assertion if your loving system isn't even accepting the POST you loving knobs! Argh!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In my experience almost no-one has any idea how SAML works, much less how to build a not-terribad implementation of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And good luck getting hold of anybody with the vendor support who knows their way around it

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

tactlessbastard posted:

post/username combo?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MF_James posted:

Thanks gently caress sticks for wasting a handful of my PTO days and then not having the decency to tell me WHY you decided I wasn't a fit.
Interviewer: *Pulls out my CV, starts reading through it*
Me: (Oh god, they didn't read it beforehand did they)
Interviewer: "Hmm... I see you haven't listed any accreditation's or expert experience with MS Azure that weren't included on the job ad, yeah that's going to be a problem as we don't be able to take on someone without this"
Me: gently caress thank you for your time :geno:

That one legit pissed me off, wasted a whole days worth of holiday and the recruiter was totally bamboozled that I bombed out of a totally mismatched ill-prepared job interview so early.
Then the rear end in a top hat interviewer added me on linkedin a day after :nono:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’ve had a recruiter add poo poo to my CV which I then got questioned on at an interview. Had to slide my own copy of the CV across the table and compared the two with the interviewer.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I nearly didn't get my current job because the recruiter removed a bunch of relevant job skills so they could fit the recruiting company's letterhead up top before passing it on.

Always bring copies of your resume with you and also gently caress recruiters.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Just lol that G Suite has no way of handling rotation of DKIM keys automatically

This is a thing?

I've read a lot on DKIM/SPF/DMARC when setting it up and never once have I ever seen mention of rotating keys.....

Edit: Checking all 3 of our sending sources, none of them support rotating DKIM keys.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 19, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Super Slash posted:

Interviewer: "Hmm... I see you haven't listed any accreditation's or expert experience with MS Azure that weren't included on the job ad, yeah that's going to be a problem as we don't be able to take on someone without this"
Me: gently caress Since it looks like I'm not a fit for this role, I'm going to give you some feedback: I have taken the day off to be here today and the least you could have done was come to this interview prepared. Your disrespect to candidates is showing me that I don't actually want this role. thank you for your time :geno:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

I’ve had a recruiter add poo poo to my CV which I then got questioned on at an interview. Had to slide my own copy of the CV across the table and compared the two with the interviewer.

Robert Half did that to me once. I had a really awkward conversation with someone who wanted to hire a full-up suit and tie consultant. I hung up when he started yelling. Then I called my recruiter and did some of my own.

If you're in recruiting and you've come to a place in your career where it's a choice between working for RH and sleeping under a bridge, go down and check out the bridge, the people there might be nice.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Super Slash posted:

Me: gently caress thank you for your time :geno:

That one legit pissed me off, wasted a whole days worth of holiday and the recruiter was totally bamboozled that I bombed out of a totally mismatched ill-prepared job interview so early.
Then the rear end in a top hat interviewer added me on linkedin a day after :nono:

ohhh yeah I had a place do a phone screen then pull me in for a 4 hour interview with 4 people, their posting was for a mid-level sys admin/network engineer with X, Y, Z technology, which fit me perfectly; what they really wanted was a senior level sys/net engineer with X, Y, Z, A, B, C, D technology.

I was... mildly pissed off about halfway through the interview.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

4 hour interview

:stare:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've been in 2x 4 hour interviews at this point, one for the supposed mid level (aka senior/architect level) position and one for a technical IT manager; the second was ROUGH I met with 8 different people over that course of time, of course the most important people were last, the VP I would be reporting to and the senior sys admin that would have reported to me, sadly I was loving dead by that point and so probably blew my chance right then.

Although the one you replied to was the first interview (after phone screen), whereas the IT manager position one was the second.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Place I'm working now had me in a 5-hour interview, a later 3-hour interview, and then a final meeting with the VP. All on three separate days. I actually turned them down the first time because I was getting a bad vibe, but a year later took a different position. Funnily enough, for the second round they were like "Hey, we already know you so no need for the giant slate of interviews again!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

Robert Half did that to me once. I had a really awkward conversation with someone who wanted to hire a full-up suit and tie consultant. I hung up when he started yelling. Then I called my recruiter and did some of my own.

If you're in recruiting and you've come to a place in your career where it's a choice between working for RH and sleeping under a bridge, go down and check out the bridge, the people there might be nice.

I've always had really good experiences with the two RH agents I've used in the past few years, I've referred several friends to them as well, and they all had good experience as well. When I hear from goons about their bad experiences, I'm always surprised.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 19, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The last two gigs Ive had had interviews easily this long. When the role deals directly with strategic thinkers instead of tactical implementers you as the hiring org need to know that the candidate has compatible mindset and philosophy. If the candidate is at odds with the philosophy and technical direction of the group, fractures will appear and projects will fail. Well, fail more than they already do.

At this level you are looking for compatible personalities with enough independent ideas to add fresh insights to a team and this takes longer than 45 minutes.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Four hour interviews just prepare you for the 6 hour meetings you will be attending once hired.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pissing me off: Shopify's multi-location "feature"

Shopify has been promising support for multiple inventory fulfillment since last year. Eventually they said "oh okay we're doing it as of May 1 fix all your API stuff to use (endpoints) and we're turning off the old way of doing it". People flipped the gently caress out because documentation didn't exist saying what was actually changed. So it was pushed back to July 1. Then August 1. At that point there was still no documentation. Then after August 1 they started randomly turning on the multi location feature (with a quasi-deceptive email to customers asking them to "opt in"); if you make an API call using the "old" way it suddenly doesn't work. Yet, if you did it the "new" way half the time it also wouldn't work because meta info required for the multi-location feature doesn't exist on inventory from an old store. This means the only way the feature works right now consistently is if the store was created after August 1.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

stevewm posted:

This is a thing?

I've read a lot on DKIM/SPF/DMARC when setting it up and never once have I ever seen mention of rotating keys.....

Edit: Checking all 3 of our sending sources, none of them support rotating DKIM keys.

First I've heard of it, myself. But apparently you should rotate your keys (and selectors).

I'll have to add it to my regular maintenance, but the only way I can think of doing this logically is "make new keypair/selector, keep old keypair/selector for 3 months, delete on next creation".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MF_James posted:

ohhh yeah I had a place do a phone screen then pull me in for a 4 hour interview with 4 people, their posting was for a mid-level sys admin/network engineer with X, Y, Z technology, which fit me perfectly; what they really wanted was a senior level sys/net engineer with X, Y, Z, A, B, C, D technology.

I was... mildly pissed off about halfway through the interview.

I was in round I don't know...five, of the interview process with a major video game publisher I won't name here, at least until I start a new sentence.

So I was interviewing for Riot Games and ended up doing a technical interview with someone who thought I had way more experience than I ever stated on a resume or in the previous interviews. I also legitimately didn't even know what position I was interviewing for at this point since I had gone from exec support to sysadmin somehow. They were nice enough to keep me in the game this way since I was a good culture (i.e I play video games), but there really needed to be a job description and you know, my resume, changing hands here.

Guy was pretty annoyed with me when I got on the call and wasn't prepared to answer his questions, which also seemed to assume I knew how their network, business, and server farm was structured. He came off as your stereotypical arrogant tech-bro.

They're obsessed with culture fit. How about this for a culture fit? Stop cursing in interviews. I curse all the loving time, but even I can cool it for an hour. I'm wasn't surprised at all women and POC have huge problems at that place.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 23, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol interviewing.
The last 3 gigs I have had I didn’t interview at all. Nepotism is a great thing. :v:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

You can't post that number and not make me think of the old Windows bug, where the GetTickCount value overflows. Versions of Windows NT 4 and 95/98 had that bug, after 49.7 days the milliseconds-since-boot counter has a 32 bit integer overflow, and then the entire system hangs.

I remember hearing about this back in the day but found it incredibly funny. Perhaps it was all my youthful indiscretions but who the hell could coax more than 3-5 days out of Win9x?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

mllaneza posted:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've always had really good experiences with the two RH agents I've used in the past few years, I've referred several friends to them as well, and they all had good experience as well. When I hear from goons about their bad experiences, I'm always surprised.

Might be the result of a culture change, or the branch you've used was run by someone who wasn't a sociopath. My experience with RH was the same as mllaneza's, and I straight up told the recruiter that if he was on fire I would willingly guzzle gasoline simply for the possibility that my kidneys wouldn't completely break down all those hydrocarbons and I could piss on him to make him burn more. Recruiter told me he was blacklisting me and I would never get an offer of work from RH ever again. Three days later the recruiter reached out to me with a job offer, starting with the sentence "I know we've had our differences, but I really think we could work those out if you're interested in this position..."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
chutzpah is killing your parents and asking clemency from the judge because you're an orphan

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Might be the result of a culture change, or the branch you've used was run by someone who wasn't a sociopath. My experience with RH was the same as mllaneza's, and I straight up told the recruiter that if he was on fire I would willingly guzzle gasoline simply for the possibility that my kidneys wouldn't completely break down all those hydrocarbons and I could piss on him to make him burn more. Recruiter told me he was blacklisting me and I would never get an offer of work from RH ever again. Three days later the recruiter reached out to me with a job offer, starting with the sentence "I know we've had our differences, but I really think we could work those out if you're interested in this position..."
There are probably good people at Robert Half, but as a rule the only reason they give live birth is so they don't consume their young.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Daylen Drazzi posted:

My favorite RH story is them asking for your responsibilities and salary history so they “can better match you with opportunities”, then turning around and calling your company’s hiring manager offering to fill your position for less money.

This may or may not be true, I’ve only heard this anecdotally. But based on my experience with their recruiters from a “hey we got the perfect guy for you” in which said person is woefully under qualified for the position, it sounds extremely plausible.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Proteus Jones posted:

My favorite RH story is them asking for your responsibilities and salary history so they “can better match you with opportunities”, then turning around and calling your company’s hiring manager offering to fill your position for less money.

This may or may not be true, I’ve only heard this anecdotally. But based on my experience with their recruiters from a “hey we got the perfect guy for you” in which said person is woefully under qualified for the position, it sounds extremely plausible.

I was asked this question a couple of months ago, remembered this story, and told them I wasn't interested in discussing that. It ended the conversation, but nothing lost.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh, it very much is true - I was warned about it by my best friend's brother, who is CTO for a tech company in Ohio. Their RH rep called him about one of his employees looking for another position and wouldn't you know it - they could scrounge someone up for half the cost of the soon-to-depart employee. My friend's brother is a stand-up guy and this sort of bullshit really pisses him off. He immediately told the RH recruiter his underhanded practice just backfired spectacularly, and after he hung up the phone he had the employee come to his office. They talked, he gave him a $10,000 raise, and life was good. The guy was a critical member of the core team, and the $10,000 was a pittance compared to how much money it would have cost to replace his knowledge and expertise.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Oh, it very much is true - I was warned about it by my best friend's brother, who is CTO for a tech company in Ohio. Their RH rep called him about one of his employees looking for another position and wouldn't you know it - they could scrounge someone up for half the cost of the soon-to-depart employee. My friend's brother is a stand-up guy and this sort of bullshit really pisses him off. He immediately told the RH recruiter his underhanded practice just backfired spectacularly, and after he hung up the phone he had the employee come to his office. They talked, he gave him a $10,000 raise, and life was good. The guy was a critical member of the core team, and the $10,000 was a pittance compared to how much money it would have cost to replace his knowledge and expertise.

Of course, despite him being a critical member, they never thought they should offer him a competitive salary until he was trying to leave, because that is how we do things in the industry: hire somewhat at the lowest you can get away with and give raises that are barely over inflation until the person has to go somewhere else, or threaten to, before you will offer them an increase to put them back at market rate. Or in many places don't bother, have them leave, then spend all the money training someone else in the position, losing all his knowledge, and repeat the cycle.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So is "thanks for your time but we're not hiring right now" code for "we can't be honest with our feedback" because I've had that from 3 places I've interviewed at now, at least one of which is still running job ads.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

nexus6 posted:

So is "thanks for your time but we're not hiring right now" code for "we can't be honest with our feedback" because I've had that from 3 places I've interviewed at now, at least one of which is still running job ads.

It's really common to just not hear back or get a bullshit excuse. You'll find something, just keep trying. Some places also run ads while not directly hiring because they are either always looking for really good people and will make a position for them, or are scummy and are looking to see if someone else will be better than a current person and find an excuse to fire the current employee.

It's best to avoid places that aren't honest if you can, it's pretty much impossible since every place is going to lie about something but if you can spot the lies before entering it's usually worse once inside.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

pixaal posted:

It's really common to just not hear back or get a bullshit excuse. You'll find something, just keep trying. Some places also run ads while not directly hiring because they are either always looking for really good people and will make a position for them, or are scummy and are looking to see if someone else will be better than a current person and find an excuse to fire the current employee.

It's best to avoid places that aren't honest if you can, it's pretty much impossible since every place is going to lie about something but if you can spot the lies before entering it's usually worse once inside.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm just feeling a bit crappy because that's the 5th time in the past few months I've had an interview that I thought went really well only to either get no response or a pretty lame excuse. I've been trying to find a new job since July.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nexus6 posted:

I always thought that was code for "you are the wrong color"

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

skooma512 posted:

I was in round I don't know...five, of the interview process with a major video game publisher I won't name here, at least until I start a new sentence.
Oh memories... the very first job interview I ever had was at Crytek which I remember being a grueling 3-4 hours of tests/chats etc, my poor girlfriend drove me halfway down the country and hung around the city during it.

skooma512 posted:

So I was interviewing for Riot Games and ended up doing a technical interview with someone who thought I had way more experience than I ever stated on a resume or in the previous interviews. I also legitimately didn't even know what position I was interviewing for at this point since I had gone from exec support to sysadmin somehow. They were nice enough to keep me in the game this way since I was a good culture (i.e I play video games), but there really needed to be a job description and you know, my resume, changing hands here.
I only have a sample size of one but things here (undisclosed game company) are just as disorganized as most businesses, if not moreso than usual as sometimes it feels like you were just hired to be warm body who could A: understand the laundry list of job "requirements" and B: are a fully functional communicating human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nexus6 posted:

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm just feeling a bit crappy because that's the 5th time in the past few months I've had an interview that I thought went really well only to either get no response or a pretty lame excuse. I've been trying to find a new job since July.

I went almost 2 years, tho there were extra factors interfering in my job hunt. I never gets better til you actually get a job, and its more soul destroying than when I was literally homeless in my 20s.

The jobs are out there tho, you will land one eventually.