Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

My closest co-worker has been on paternity leave for 4 days and he's been called at least 7 times and had dozens of emails he had to respond to. I blew his reports up after the first day and told them there's not a goddamned thing in the world that they need to contact him about, bring it to me and I'll take care of it. Unfortunately, I can't keep the C suite off his back. They're also already agitating for him to cut his leave short and come back. If he never came back I wouldn't blame him.

echoing the "extremely illegal" part. I was on short term disability for a few months earlier this year and my boss went to great pains to stress that she was not allowed to call or contact me for any work-related reason, and even just getting in touch to see how you're doing is supposed to be extremely limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Agreed. Though I'm coming around to it for a true microservice (emphasis on the micro), Flask has no loving business in larger apps.

IDK man, I am converting a microservice from Flask to Django right now and let me tell ya, the overhead isn't that much extra and I can't tell a difference between startup times or memory consumption.

I guess if you had an app that didn't need any extra bells and whistles then it's probably a lot smaller, but as soon as you start adding WTF, SQLAlchemy, login, and everything else, it's about the same, but now you are stuck with Flask.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
We use Flask at work and I don't really have any issues with it, and I quite like SQLAlchemy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

buttchugging adderall posted:

We use Flask at work and I don't really have any issues with it, and I quite like SQLAlchemy.

I mean, it’s all right I guess, but Django has a lot of really nice features built in.

Edit: Flask doesn’t even have csrf built in.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
loving hell.....

Now pissing me off: We scheduled that final call for Monday, so I'm going to have to roll in REALLY early that day to be able to bail at like 3:30. But that's not the bad part. "The process will start with coding processing questions, live coding and lastly architecture questions. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with, I'm sure you'll do great!"

So this is a full on 90 minute technical interview in which we're going to comb through the code I submitted and I'm going to have to modify it live.

They SPECIFICALLY said in the very first interview that they don't believe in doing this poo poo because coding in front of an audience tells you nothing. That was, as far as I understood it, the entire point of the take-home exercise I submitted Tuesday :psyduck:

Whatever. I'm not going to not do it after coming this far, but I'm more than a little annoyed at this change. Did my huge Flask/React app I built in a few hours not prove my competence already?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

What are the odds you nailed it so hard they raised the stakes she'd are being more grueling because they intend to open a more senior position than the one you originally applied for?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheParadigm posted:

What are the odds you nailed it so hard they raised the stakes she'd are being more grueling because they intend to open a more senior position than the one you originally applied for?

:hmmyes:

I hadn't considered that, actually. I have no idea, but I'd say the odds are non-zero at least.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

loving hell.....

Now pissing me off: We scheduled that final call for Monday, so I'm going to have to roll in REALLY early that day to be able to bail at like 3:30. But that's not the bad part. "The process will start with coding processing questions, live coding and lastly architecture questions. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with, I'm sure you'll do great!"

So this is a full on 90 minute technical interview in which we're going to comb through the code I submitted and I'm going to have to modify it live.

They SPECIFICALLY said in the very first interview that they don't believe in doing this poo poo because coding in front of an audience tells you nothing. That was, as far as I understood it, the entire point of the take-home exercise I submitted Tuesday :psyduck:

Whatever. I'm not going to not do it after coming this far, but I'm more than a little annoyed at this change. Did my huge Flask/React app I built in a few hours not prove my competence already?

Listen. I hope this job is amazing. I really do. Because if its not, I have no clue how this company has ever hired a talented programmer as anybody worth hiring would already received another offer by now by someone else. Are you simply not looking anywhere else? Is this some non mentro area? Something just doesn't make sense. I feel like this interview process has gone on for two months.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
This company is one I sent my resume to last week. It's been 9 days.

I have been a lot pickier this time around. I'm also only applying for remote positions as I'm in the middle of Florida and have no mobility right now....nor do I want to give this poo poo up. I've withdrawn my apps at a few places after red flags came up. I don't want a repeat of where I am now. Some places have been taking loving forever with the process; the other place I'm meeting with Monday is for a resume I sent out a month ago.

I have made it to the end of the process with two places. One turned out to only want to pay like 65k and some other idiot was willing to accept that. The other passed on me and refused to give any feedback as to why.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

This is extremely illegal and your coworker should do something about it.

Indeed, however I should have said paternity 'leave'. It's just PTO that he coincidentally took starting when his wife went into labor.

Still super lovely but probably not illegal.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can y’all explain what Django and Flask are?

I’ve been scratching my head at the last few posts and before I hit up google I want all y’all’s version first.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Python ui frameworks. Flask is easy basic mode...ish and Django is a gigantic rear end web framework that is complex as you want.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Virigoth posted:

Python ui web server frameworks.

ftfy

Otherwise basically correct, only django's not that overly huge. Flask is a bare bones package with more in common with the Django REST Framework for creating APIs. Flask can, in theory, do everything Django does, but you have to add packages for each feature you're trying to replicate; e.g. Django has a robust ORM built in, while Flask relies on installing something like SQLAlchemy.

I'd actually argue Django is easy mode, as it's all there for you by default and the project structure is pretty strictly defined.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

BaronVonVaderham posted:

ftfy

Otherwise basically correct, only django's not that overly huge. Flask is a bare bones package with more in common with the Django REST Framework for creating APIs. Flask can, in theory, do everything Django does, but you have to add packages for each feature you're trying to replicate; e.g. Django has a robust ORM built in, while Flask relies on installing something like SQLAlchemy.

I'd actually argue Django is easy mode, as it's all there for you by default and the project structure is pretty strictly defined.

Yeah depending on what you want and don't want you choose whichever you prefer. I generally go with Flask personally but at the end of the day they both work, and both work well.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

loving hell.....

They might be doing this so they can use your code and understand it without hiring you nor paying you for the work you've already done for them as an "exercise".

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I got turned down for an internal position that I was completely qualified for, if not over qualified, without an interview or word from anyone. They just updated the job postings to say the company wasn’t interested.

The position I’m in now was supposed to be a foot in the door which my boss completely gets. He supported me going for the position and told me he wants to see me move up instead of move out. I don’t intend on moving out though. I have decent pay and benefits and the culture is amazing compared to places I’ve worked at and seen.

I’ll definitely keep trying for other positions but the way I got turned down for this one just pissed me right off.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I suppose it's just an annoyance but our computers are getting slowly upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

As part of that process, we have a team that builds the computers, installs the software, and hands it to another team that physically delivers it. Because we're the help desk, and the techs aren't (think escalations) we take the inbound phone calls and the techs do the outbound phone calls (though you can call their direct extension if the customer knows it, which is its own kind of terrible. This is "internal" customers. The techs will look into server issues, windows issues that aren't easily resolved by a google search, get engineering involved or the database teams involved if it concerns a homegrown app, etc. Helpdesk does really basic snooze worthy stuff, password resets, basic how-to questions of how to use windows, how to encrypt emails, switchboardy stuff. Very small crew, most of the calls are early morning but high volume (300+ calls on a monday)

On a busy day (such as monday morning) we're doing back to back calls. We unfortunately don't have any ACW setting unless we busy out, which means it goes to voicemail, and then you're trying to play catch up and hope people just hear a busy signal and give up, but that still counts as abandoned calls.

So anyways, as the helpdesk, we're getting new windows machines, but it's like pulling teeth getting them to deliver it, and when they do deliver it to us, they go "oh you're smart, you can finish the software install yourself". Granted, yes, we have the technical acumen to hook the computer up to the desk (they just install the image and some base drivers and stuff) and then install all the other programs we need, but you know, how about those phone calls? "oh you can just do it in between calls"

Like, you realize that means it'll be a week or next friday before I'll have this thing done, because I'm not coming in early or staying late to configure this poo poo just because you want to go "I delivered it, my work here is done" all Peter Griffin style. They have access to the same install folders we do, but they do the software installs. Our helpdesk might do a software install or two that takes a minute or so to complete, but some of them have licenses that only they have access to, or that we weren't told how to do, that That One Guy There Who Usually Fixes It knows how to do, but he hasn't wrote it down because he doesn't like to make documentation. Also our workforce is very small, so taking one guy out of production to do a 30+ minute software install when we're already doing like 30 tickets a person in 2 hours is rear end.

I guess, at the end of the day, especially now that everyone else has just kind of "done it anyways" that that's enough precedent for us to do it, while shoving it under the guise of "other duties as assigned", but I resent having to stop what I'm doing that I got hired on to do, to do a task that is primarily your job because you're busy and you want to constantly hot potato a responsibility off on someone else.

/rant

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 21, 2019

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Dinner with CEO was casual. Real talk was during coffee time afterwards. He requested for dinner because he's never seen me being so strict/formal and by the book (yeah well, I was told to be laid off) past 3 years he's known me. Main reason for lay off being I've outgrown the clothes that is the company (which is true tbh, but I decided to stay for 3 years minimum out of courtesy because he hired me when nobody hires fresh devs even now), and the complaints about me being strict, difficult and scary to work with started when the company started restructuring last year and new people were being brought in. While he knows the claims (including the one in June) to be false and there's no way for me to have done those due to experience of having me in the company past years, it's probably the right time for me to find a bigger/better playground as things are settling in and they never found anything challenging to feed me with past years. tbh I was bored to death past 2 years because the projects and requests were easy. I've been the only one in the company to leave work right on time even during projects :stare:

I just said that if I've done wrong because I was being honest and tried to prevent any serious losses for the company from requests that are law breaking or breach of rights, then I'd rather be at wrong than right. Then I gave an example. I dropped the bomb regarding currently ongoing project that's been delayed by almost a year now, what I've done to prevent such delays (and costs), but that they were ignored.

Basically contract for IP (Intellectual Property) was signed around June last year, and during late November I was requested by jerks in Project Planning to copy exactly 1,000 of specific items in the signed iP off the Internet because the IP holder refused, I got suspicious and inquired with other people and it turned out that the contract was for type A of items and not type B but they were requesting for type B because they thought it's included in type A by default. I refused because that is breach of IP rights and laws and so it could cost the company millions in USD if there are law suits, then got called into meeting with jerks in PP and got shoved the list in the face again, so I told them to go through the contract again because the IP holder is a subsidiary of international group so consider the contract to be with international company, and the international standard is that if things are not stated in the contract then there's no need to provide anything. I also said that I am absolutely sure that the item of type B is not in the contract since it's managed by different subsidiary and not the one signed with, so they need to contact that subsidiary too. And of course all of my advises were ignored, then in late March the CEO sent someone else to inquire on just wtf is going on with the IP holder, and got reported on exactly the same poo poo I said, and the company's been doing exactly the same poo poo I've advised, except the project was nearly done so they're now making changes and calculating the projected cost/revenue/profit again while the CEO has to explain to investors on why it's being delayed again and again.

CEO was silent for a bit, asked the names of the jerks I advised around November/December (to make sure?), then said after a bit of pause that he'll do everything he can do find me a bigger playground without any limit in date, and that I'm free to use HR whenever for the purpose of moving. Honestly I'm fine with the decision not being overturned, just that having a deadline being thrown at was pissing me off. Anyways he finished off by saying that it's better to take it up along the ranks and not to the person who requested, but that it would have been difficult here as there really are no ranks in this company. In this company we call everyone by name even if you're the owner (CEO), and only CEO/COO hold official titles outside the company due to demand. Probably it's going to change and there will be some form of ranks now.

Either way I did decide to hold off on any actions until after the dinner (suggested the same to HR), and I think it's satisfactory enough since I achieved minimum acceptable goal of having the deadline removed. Just that having to drop a bomb to justify my actions always feels bad.

Edit: One of my parents worked in the industry related to current project/IP for past 30 years, and CEO knows this. He's also aware that I've been giving free advice to the person cleaning after the mess atm, based on consultation with my parent, free of charge. I've only denied request to meet with my parent because we have a strict rule of give and take. Free advice is allowed as long as it's relayed and not direct.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 21, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I got turned down for an internal position that I was completely qualified for, if not over qualified, without an interview or word from anyone. They just updated the job postings to say the company wasn’t interested.

The position I’m in now was supposed to be a foot in the door which my boss completely gets. He supported me going for the position and told me he wants to see me move up instead of move out. I don’t intend on moving out though. I have decent pay and benefits and the culture is amazing compared to places I’ve worked at and seen.

I’ll definitely keep trying for other positions but the way I got turned down for this one just pissed me right off.

You should be applying for positions at other companies. Most companies are lying when they say that the position you're starting off in can be a jumping-off point to better positions—including yours.

Until proven otherwise you should assume that potential for internal growth is a lie designed to keep you tolerating a subpar salary for longer.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Comradephate posted:

You should be applying for positions at other companies. Most companies are lying when they say that the position you're starting off in can be a jumping-off point to better positions—including yours.

Until proven otherwise you should assume that potential for internal growth is a lie designed to keep you tolerating a subpar salary for longer.

Some companies do promote from within, mainly because they will usually have a policy that a promotion just gives you a 5% salary raise, which when you are already underpaid (which you are if you've been at a single company for 3+ years) the bump will be way less than they would have to pay for someone at a market salary.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
If you like your company and want to get promoted, frequently your best option is boomeranging. Find job that's a promotion somewhere else, take it, work there for a 2-5 years, then apply at the company you currently work at for a higher position.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
They do promote internally. Quite a few people that started in the call center are now in other IT departments, including my own which is about 75% internal promotions. I know how the game is played to get decent raises in IT but it isn’t necessarily about the money. I just would rather be doing a different type of work.

Currently I’m customer facing and doing software/database troubleshooting. Thankfully not in the call center. I’d rather be in a more internal role with more involvement in the actual IT operations instead of fixing someone’s software configuration or updating their software because the call center and the user can’t figure out how to push the update button when the automated update fails.

I’m more just pissed that they didn’t tell me why not or even tell me no except a templated message in the job board.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

They do promote internally. Quite a few people that started in the call center are now in other IT departments, including my own which is about 75% internal promotions. I know how the game is played to get decent raises in IT but it isn’t necessarily about the money. I just would rather be doing a different type of work.

Currently I’m customer facing and doing software/database troubleshooting. Thankfully not in the call center. I’d rather be in a more internal role with more involvement in the actual IT operations instead of fixing someone’s software configuration or updating their software because the call center and the user can’t figure out how to push the update button when the automated update fails.

I’m more just pissed that they didn’t tell me why not or even tell me no except a templated message in the job board.

The really should have told you why, but it does happen sometimes.

We were all set to fill an Accounting position in my office with a qualified internal candidate, we just had to go through the motions of interviewing multiple people before "making the decision" and moving them. The final interviewee was far more qualified though and impressed the hell out of the interview team. This was totally unexpected, as we have insanely low unemployment around here and it's very hard to get qualified candidates to apply for positions. It would be stupid of the organization to pass up this external candidate, as much as we would like to promote the internal one. We did tell the internal candidate why we made the decision we did though, and welcomed them to apply again when another position opens up. We're also working on tweaking their job roles to be responsible for more accounting functions, as that is what they are interested in doing and it will look good on their future resume.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

stevewm posted:

T-Mobile cold called the CEO.... And gave him pricing. The pricing they gave is slightly less than half of what we currently pay Verizon..

Guess who is now working on a possible switch to T-Mobile? :mad:

T-Mobile is basically unheard of in our area. Everyone with a cellphone here either has Verizon, ATT, or one of the MVNOs that use them. No one has T-Mobile, or Sprint for that matter.

Looking at some $20,000 a year savings, so the CEO is not going to ignore it.

And I am not looking forward to switching 70+ mostly tech-illiterate people to new devices.

good chance to ask/force that TMobile account manager to implement DEP, maybe you could even sell the concept of dep-integrated mdm to your leadership

call it loss prevention. get your ceo jerking off about preventing those drat tricksy employees-hobbitsies from trying to steal phones

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 22, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

good chance to ask/force that TMobile account manager to implement DEP

What is DEP?

Edit: Ah, its an Apple thing.

None of those 70 devices are Apple, all Android.

At the very least it gives us an opportunity to possibly get a proper MDM in place.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Lmao I just got an invite to another going away party for later this week, someone else quit. I sincerely hope I get to give my notice this week just so I can see them lose their loving minds in person.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Our IT dept's director continues to be an embarrassment. He was recently bumped up from Helpdesk supervisor to Interim Director - basically our company's CIO - but is in way over his head. We're facing a large, mandatory upgrade from Office 2010 to 2016, Windows 7 to Windows 10, moving 700+ employees onto another company's email domain while maintaining our own AD so our users can access our internal apps, then rolling out Office 365. Our Interim Director's most pressing concern during our last meeting with the parent company who's helping us navigate this was "I want everyone's desktop wallpaper to be our company logo, and I want them not to be able to change it." (Note that he's not the best communicator, so he calls the wallpaper the background or "the picture", just whatever comes to mind at the moment). I was charged with doing a presentation at our different agencies to inform staff of the upcoming changes and he felt the need to interrupt me and let everyone know that they'd have a set background and wouldn't be able to change it.

Anyway, that's just his kind of background level of aptitude. Last week I was at one of our centers prepping for my presentation. Interim Director arrives with a new hire, a sysadmin on his second day with the company. Also at the center is a fellow project manager and a wireless rep who was making a heat map for an unrelated upgrade. As I'm sitting in this center's meeting I get a call from the bossman; turns out he's managed to lock himself in a room. Not just him. All four of them I guess followed him into a little antechamber room at the end of hall, getting stuck between an emergency exit and a one-way door. Everyone in the building was in the meeting I was, so no one could hear them bang on the door and try and get help.

Imagine, accepting an offer for a new role on your storied career path and having your new boss bumble his way into a bottle episode of a terrible sitcom. New guy stuck around though, although I wonder if he's going to start getting goosebumps as he notices how unprepared our leadership demonstrates themselves as being.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Have a call with a terrible customer, go to talk with a lead about a question I have. Go back to the phone, call is connected but no audio. Wait several minutes periodically asking if the customer is there, then hang up because I can’t be on hold indefinitely, I’ve been told that in the past.

Then I get told off for hanging up on him by my useless lead, and after he calls back (not even angry surprisingly) and the call is handled I see I have a meeting scheduled on my calendar with the two leads for this afternoon.

At this point I don’t even care if they fire me, moving back in with my dad would be only slightly more terrible than spending all my time at this shitshow.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Our IT dept's director continues to be an embarrassment. .....Our Interim Director's most pressing concern during our last meeting with the parent company who's helping us navigate this was "I want everyone's desktop wallpaper to be our company logo, and I want them not to be able to change it." (Note that he's not the best communicator, so he calls the wallpaper the background or "the picture", just whatever comes to mind at the moment). I was charged with doing a presentation at our different agencies to inform staff of the upcoming changes and he felt the need to interrupt me and let everyone know that they'd have a set background and wouldn't be able to change it.

Has he got an equally-inept brother who works for my organisation who has enforced:

1. No wallpaper on the desktop. Black background only
2.10 min screen lock on laptops (5mins if on battery)
3. 60 sec screen lock on phones.

Oh, and both 2 & 3 require upper, lower, symbol 12 char passwords.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In ages past I worked at a place that stuck us all on NT workstations that had all customization locked down. They didn't install a branded wallpaper but we were stuck with that eye-searing turquoise that was NT's default. An all black background would have been loving glorious.

I quit shortly after, I had been brought in as part of an acquired company and was a pure solaris admin at that point. When I was forced to admin posix based systems on a windows box I noped the gently caress out of there.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
This test suite is crashing and if I'm running it with parallel threads it can't dump the traceback and blows up. If I run it without multithreading, it takes hours.

While I'm totally cool being paid to watch this slowly fail tests, I'm struggling hard to stay awake.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If a company enforces a wallpaper image they invariably also require that image to be an 800x600 JPEG and stretched to fit, including on portrait 10:16 monitors.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
People are fuming at our new forced wallpaper. The image they chose is busy and stupid as gently caress, and so many non-IT people are whining that they can't find their hundreds of desktop icons anymore.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Thanks Ants posted:

If a company enforces a wallpaper image they invariably also require that image to be an 800x600 JPEG and stretched to fit, including on portrait 10:16 monitors.

The logo I've seen is 4192 x 1696, which includes a lot of white space, but there are no plans I'm aware of to make it anything more than that. We don't really have a creative department that could turn it into a semi-decent wallpaper, so I'm thinking this will wind up being it, all the way to the edges. I also get the feeling that I know more about this potential problem than any one else, which means it will be my fault when things aren't lined up right. idgaf, my wallpaper cycles through pictures of my family and that's how I like it. You want to prevent that, fine, but I'm not going to assist you.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Wallpaper manager is going to be a CEO some day. All our CEOs probably

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I worked in a place where they wanted to set the homepage of everyone's PC to the website of our organisation - the public page, not even a dedicated 'intranet' or whatever. It makes sense if you have public access machines for web browsing or whatever, but going out of your way to stop people having their homepage set to whatever they feel is the most relevant for them seems pointless.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hey willfrey put together a procedure for doing our alignments, specifically what you do in the HMI's

Ok sure, its a pretty complex and involved process, it probably needs to be put on paper.

So I draft one up. Guy reads it like a monkey doing a math problem, asks me to dumb it down. So I am literally making step by step instructions on what buttons to press in which menus and god gently caress this thing is going to be a 50 page monster that will never be read again

I should make him a coloring book

The fun part? This is do alignment work on a big machine, which needs live hydraulics to measure contact surfaces. There is a very real danger of moving the machine with someone inside it if you dont know what you are doing.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 22, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I worked in a place where they wanted to set the homepage of everyone's PC to the website of our organisation - the public page, not even a dedicated 'intranet' or whatever. It makes sense if you have public access machines for web browsing or whatever, but going out of your way to stop people having their homepage set to whatever they feel is the most relevant for them seems pointless.

We do this, and lock it so it can't be changed. But only at our store locations, not the corp. office.

In our case however, if a employee in the store is opening up their browser, they are going to either our intranet, Gmail, or our catalog website anyways. So it makes sense.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Willfrey posted:

So I draft one up. Guy reads it like a monkey doing a math problem, asks me to dumb it down. So I am literally making step by step instructions on what buttons to press in which menus and god gently caress this thing is going to be a 50 page monster that will never be read again

Oh god, this is the documentation that I inherited. It's infuriating because it's completely focused on how, barely touches what and never covers WHY something is configured as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

Oh god, this is the documentation that I inherited. It's infuriating because it's completely focused on how, barely touches what and never covers WHY something is configured as such.

I made the first draft guessing whoever they replace me with would have some working knowledge of the machine and software controls. Now it seems like I am making it for somebody who has never been in our mill