Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

loving HPE bugging the piss out of me for a $250 part that I RMA'ed

We are contacting you in regards to outstanding equipment return.
Our records indicate that you have the following defective inventory that needs to be returned.

CASE ID PART NUMBER PART DESCRIPTION RMA NUMBER DATE SHIPPED STATUS
xxxxxxx JW813-61001 Aruba IAP-315 (US) Instant 2x/4x 11ac AP Overdue

We would greatly appreciate your help in recovering this equipment.

Guess what fuckers you sent me a UPS Ground return label. It'll get there in a couple days. It's in the system as shipped. You have the tracking # look it up yourself.

SELECT * FROM RMA WHERE SHIPPED.DATE < TODAY

Maybe turn that back a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
you ever have one of those days where looking at a screen is just agony. The eye strain is just bleh.

she says, typing on a screen, but nevertheless

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You mean you don't dictate your posts to an assistant?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angry armadillo posted:

There is a new manager in town who is asking for stuff, then double escalating up the line way before we get near SLA breach and not telling me that these requests are urgent, or that she has infact decided to escalate anything which is quite a surprise when they come back my way.

I have 2 bosses, one has already said to me who is this crazy lady and today she has escalated something to my other boss, presumably because first boss didn't support her madness.

I am sure there is someone in the business who would call her a 'go getter' but I suspect there are more people using the word nuisance

Do you guys have a thing where you have to justify escalations? I mean I know where I'm at a P1 escalation initiates a meeting and a justification for calling one. No valid reason = getting a Talkin' To™

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I just use my new software, Enrique Dictate.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Iron Rose posted:

you ever have one of those days where looking at a screen is just agony. The eye strain is just bleh.

she says, typing on a screen, but nevertheless

f.lux, crank the color temperature all the way down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

I got a ticket the other week that someone's "hands were sore from typing and they wanted to use speech to text"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

these password rules

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

these password rules

Password cannot contain the words 'select', 'sleep', 'where', 'delete', 'drop', .....

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Biowarfare posted:

Password cannot contain the words 'select', 'sleep', 'where', 'delete', 'drop', .....

Every time I see password requirements like the above I feel like they're broadcasting extremely useful hints on how to break into whatever system they're running by inferring how it works

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

these password rules

I am glad NIST has changed their mind on this and I can't wait to totally move any of this poo poo still left in my org.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

Marketing folks gotta earn their keep somehow, I guess.

Also the editions don't map to the current tiers, so if we want to keep the unlimited storage and the Vault features that we currently use with G Suite Business @ £8.28 per month we need to move to Google Workspace Business Plus @ £13.80 per month. I think this might be what gets us onto Office 365, as we're already subscribing to it for the desktop apps.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you guys have a thing where you have to justify escalations? I mean I know where I'm at a P1 escalation initiates a meeting and a justification for calling one. No valid reason = getting a Talkin' To™

No... we are not that big of an IT department.

I think this woman has just has no shame in terms of just asking someone else when she gets told no.

I've escalated her shenanigans to my boss, weve tied her up in process so she can see what she needs to do to get what she wants... yet she came to me yesterday asking me to just jump ahead hoping I'd just be more helpful

I said that's a change of plan, justify please and she said she has so get on with it (paraphrasing...)

She was referring to a doc we asked her to write explaining why she wanted some particular software instead of using part of the o365 suite we pay for, given that according to us, o365 would do the job just fine

The problem with the doc is her admin did the evaluation, found out we were correct, this woman told her to fiddle the evaluation so she can get her software in and we challenged it

She is then saying this doc explains why she needs this software ahead of all the governance process/approvals/etc when it does nothing of the sort and is fundamentally flawed

Actually, when I write it all out, it's quite clear the woman is mental and I dont really need to worry that I'm not delivering her somewhat aspirational requests...

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Thanks Ants posted:

Not to be outdone by Microsoft renaming all of their Office 365 offerings a few months back, behold

This follows the rebranding of Google Apps to G Suite about four year ago.

they're bundling more tightly so that if the US tries to break up alphabet/google it's going to be harder.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

angry armadillo posted:

Actually, when I write it all out, it's quite clear the woman is mental and I dont really need to worry that I'm not delivering her somewhat aspirational requests...

I used to write angry emails with no one in the TO/CC/BCC lines just to vent, then delete them. It worked wonders.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kensei posted:

I used to write angry emails with no one in the TO/CC/BCC lines just to vent, then delete them. It worked wonders.

Semi-related, a mentor/manager gave me some great advice almost 20 years ago.

If you're dealing with an idiot or some other kind of emotional-charged situation, write the email and save it in drafts. Then come back 2 hours later and read it. At that point clean it up so it still gets your point across without being passive-aggressively (or aggressive-aggressively) insulting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

Also the editions don't map to the current tiers, so if we want to keep the unlimited storage and the Vault features that we currently use with G Suite Business @ £8.28 per month we need to move to Google Workspace Business Plus @ £13.80 per month. I think this might be what gets us onto Office 365, as we're already subscribing to it for the desktop apps.

We're going the other way with Google Suite or whatever. Global IT is trialing a "delete Office, just use gDocs" program with an eye to taking MS Office off the standard image in a few years. I've been looking forward to this for a long time; the only hangup is needing a network connection.

Proteus Jones posted:

If you're dealing with an idiot or some other kind of emotional-charged situation, write the email and save it in drafts. Then come back 2 hours later and read it. At that point clean it up so it still gets your point across without being passive-aggressively (or aggressive-aggressively) insulting.

Related tip: for important emails, don't even add the addressees until you are completely done with the email, have proofed it, and held on to it for a while. There's nothing like accidentally hitting send on half an email with VIPs in the To: line to ruin your day and undercut whatever point you were trying to make.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mllaneza posted:

We're going the other way with Google Suite or whatever. Global IT is trialing a "delete Office, just use gDocs" program with an eye to taking MS Office off the standard image in a few years. I've been looking forward to this for a long time; the only hangup is needing a network connection.

We did this years ago... but instead went with OpenOffice and then later switched to LibreOffice when it was clear that fork was advancing at a faster pace. I'm still trying to get people to use Google Docs... but its slow going. We did transition completely into Gmail though, so getting rid of Outlook and local mail clients in general was pretty nice.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

The Iron Rose posted:

Whatever metrics you use, make sure you’re at the very top.

Unless you are also at the very top of the salary range.

Then all bets are off.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Proteus Jones posted:

Semi-related, a mentor/manager gave me some great advice almost 20 years ago.

My manager gave me some great advise, "Go after problems, not people." It's really easy to be mad at a person loving poo poo up, but going after them directly makes you look petty and burns a lot of unnecessary political capital. Go after the problem they're causing and what needs to be done to solve it. That way you hold the moral high ground, portray an aura of power to problem-solve, and other people in the email chain are able to generate their own judgements and decisions on this person, costing you nothing in whatever decisions they ultimately make about them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boss tries to do technical stuff
Boss breaks server
Boss asks me to fix server
Me try to explain to support guy what happened
Support guy asks wtf
Me try to explain I didn't do it

(he changed some XML file by hand and broke citrix)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You know you make good software when the only way you can change the admin password is to re-install the program.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
If I ever murder anybody, it's going to be the people on conference calls who don't mute after being repeatedly reminded to. Look, it's a huge conference call with dozens of clients; just you not muting is disturbing literally hundreds of people. Knock it the gently caress off.

One person called someone else up, waited for the rings to finish, then when they picked up (with their normal greeting) said "oh, hi, Karen, we're on a conference call with [software vendor] and just wanted to dial you in." This was after being advised that they weren't muted.

It's probably lucky I can't choke people through a WebEx.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

If I ever murder anybody, it's going to be the people on conference calls who don't mute after being repeatedly reminded to. Look, it's a huge conference call with dozens of clients; just you not muting is disturbing literally hundreds of people. Knock it the gently caress off.

One person called someone else up, waited for the rings to finish, then when they picked up (with their normal greeting) said "oh, hi, Karen, we're on a conference call with [software vendor] and just wanted to dial you in." This was after being advised that they weren't muted.

One of the greatest joys in my life was during a technical presentation to a client, I muted one of the sales people with GoToMeeting. Jut put him on mute five minutes in, and left him there.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Muting other people is the best thing.

No. Punching people is even better, but muting them doesn’t break any laws.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I really appreciate that teams lets you mute other people.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

kensei posted:

I just post my crap here, sorry :D

In the end, I did email her, it seems to be positive for me to just check in between weekly catch up calls and say "deliverables xyz were due on 9th Oct, they have all been delivered"
It seems to stop her going to more senior people and asking what's going on, only to have my boss say "check the action tracker, this is where we agreed to record all actions and progress" - awkward!

However, when I was delivering this weeks stuff, out in her teams office working with her guys - she came in to say "we really need that shadow IT I asked for, can we have it now"

"you can either wait for the project process to justify it, or you can write a document to my boss justifying the urgency and why this project will fail if it's not done now"

'I've done that'

So in my update email I also pointed out her justification doc was a flawed justification that said Shadow is better than Recommendation, we responded with why that document was full of misinformation and I highlighted that I also needed a rationale as to why we need to purchase Shadow software before this all goes through governance as that has not been covered at all.

She tactically removed all the cc people and said she will call me today. I was half expecting a call to say "I'm a boss just do it" but I have had nothing, there is a 10% chance she has realised and a 90% chance she has escalated my query to someone saying we aren't delivering again.

I actually don't mind at this point, my boss has laid out some pretty good tracks to demonstrate we have delivered everything we said we would and we have helped her through the correct processes to the best of our ability by holding regular update meetings etc.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

devmd01 posted:

I really appreciate that teams lets you mute other people.

Also userside mute won't even be shown so it's the best passive-aggressive way to ignore someone without making a fuss

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SlowBloke posted:

Also userside mute won't even be shown so it's the best passive-aggressive way to ignore someone without making a fuss

I'm brand new to a department and team, and I muted someone yesterday on a Teams call. I was a little curious if it would show that I muted them but ultimately I don't care. Double check that you're muted while on a conference call, poo poo isn't hard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanatosian posted:

Agrikk posted:

Muting other people is the best thing.

No. Punching people is even better, but muting them doesn’t break any laws.

The greatest invention of our time will be FTP, Fist Through Phone, although, perhaps now it will need to be FTC.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Google Meet lets you mute other people. It does say who did it though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MF_James posted:

The greatest invention of our time will be FTP, Fist Through Phone, although, perhaps now it will need to be FTC.

Actually it's GTP

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mllaneza posted:

Google Meet lets you mute other people. It does say who did it though.

WebEx allows hosts to do this as well, and 40.10 adds the ability to mute on entry and PREVENT PEOPLE FROM UNMUTING. Glorious.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

scrolling through an email from a third party support rep and uh this was in their signature :stare:

quote:

Because all Americans need to stand up and be counted: I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat. I have watched both parties implement policies that benefit the 1% by hollowing out the middle class. I am, however, a repentant former white supremacist.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Polio Vax Scene posted:

scrolling through an email from a third party support rep and uh this was in their signature :stare:

I mean, it's good to confess and to be contrite?

:shrug:

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, it's good to confess and to be contrite?

:shrug:

Now I am wondering about all those people who don't specifically state that they aren't white supremacists in their sigs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Moo the cow posted:

Now I am wondering about all those people who don't specifically state that they aren't white supremacists in their sigs.

I don't include it in mine to keep the length down, I like to save trees when people print out my emails

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Moo the cow posted:

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

taqueso posted:

I don't include it in mine to keep the length down, I like to save trees when people print out my emails

Same except I leave it out because there's already too much black on the white paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's better than being an unrepentant current white supremacist at least. more than enough of those around these days