Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
For source code don't worry about GDPR, worry about the AI using you code to train their model and violating copyright.

Yeah GDPR does not care about your company's intellectual property or trade secrets. It cares about the personal data of your customers (and other individuals that interact with your business) and nothing else.

But then, if you start feeding any PII/other potentially GDPR-covered data to an LLM, in particular if it possibly gets used for training/reinforcement, you are almost certainly in violation of GDPR because you basically lose any control of what happens to that data. It becomes mixed into a strange soup and who knows how it will affect any future output of that LLM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am perfectly happy to configure firewall rules, and usually there is documentation, but I am sick to my teeth of vendors' documentation on what's required not matching what their devices actually do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Had this before and vendors claim that the answer is to do their training courses.

No, gently caress you. If your documentation is poor then give me a refund on the product.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

guppy posted:

I am perfectly happy to configure firewall rules, and usually there is documentation, but I am sick to my teeth of vendors' documentation on what's required not matching what their devices actually do.

I worked at a MSSP for years, configuring firewalls for customers across a wide swath of industries. Constant battles of the customer providing vendor documentation for firewall rules fast forwarding to the application not working, to reviewing firewall logs and finding some blocked communication on a port nowhere in the documentation that is apparently critical to the functionality.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my favorite are software vendors that tell me to open up every port

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We blanket deny any requests for "allow from any to any" or "open every port to X".

But we also help them figure out what they actually need.

Can't have one without the other, imho.

J
Jun 10, 2001

open all the ports, turn off UAC, allowlist C:\** in your security software, put the application account in the domain admins group

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

J posted:

open all the ports, turn off UAC, allowlist C:\** in your security software, put the application account in the domain admins group

:commissar:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

J posted:

I had some fun of late when I was denied access to C:\ but was able to visit \\127.0.0.1\c$.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
And do it right now because some VP just spent half a million on a year license, and by God we are going to get as many of our five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes as we can out of it.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 22, 2024

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

We'll assume you spend half your working day typing full speed. That's 4 hours a day of nothing but typing.

lmao

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

yeah! make the AI write the plan about how to implement AI

you jest about this but my boss does this for dev tickets :(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

I had some fun of late when I was denied access to C:\ but was able to visit \\127.0.0.1\c$.

That gave me a cold chill that lasted until I remembered that on the systems where we lock users out of any drive, we also block Windows search and Run.

I'm going to have to check on that, the locked down systems are GxP.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

J posted:

lol, I’m pretty sure we had to do this when we managed on premise SharePoint. It was a huge pain in the rear end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

That gave me a cold chill that lasted until I remembered that on the systems where we lock users out of any drive, we also block Windows search and Run.

I'm going to have to check on that, the locked down systems are GxP.
If it makes you feel any better I accessed that via the save dialogue of the native Windows print to pdf functionality, then was able to abuse that to get an explorer window by zipping and unzipping a random file I found somewhere and telling explorer to show me the files on completion. After that I was able to create and run batch files from the user directory and that's just silly for what should be a web app.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
There is always a cost. Either, time, money or frustration, there is always a cost to be paid.

I decided to upgrade my backup server to something this century with a storage HBA capable of at least 6gbps so that it isn't the bottleneck of my backup-to-disk solution. I buy the card off of eBay, a SmartArray P430, and it's got the wrong connector because I didn't do my homework. I return it for the SmartArray P420.

The P420 shows up and it prevents my supermicro X8-based machine from booting. A test and some research reveals that the flash is bad. So the vendor sends me another one that works. I stick it in the server and it won't POST. More research reveals that it is incompatible with the X8 board.

So I buy a X9-based board that is a duplicate of ones I aleady have here so I know it'll work. The lot is a CPU/RAM/board/heatsink combo and when it arrives the heatsink that's included isn't compatible with an LGA2011 socket. so I rig up a temporary cooling solution to see if I can get the board installed in the case and up and running. Board won't POST, even when I strip it down to the bare minimum to run. So now I've contacted the vendor about a swap.

It's been three weeks and god knows how many hours. Just so I can up the disk throughput from 3 to 6gbps per drive.

I wish I was independently wealthy so I could just pay an integrator three grand do do all this poo poo for me.

There is always a cost. Just because it's cheap on eBay doesn't mean the cost won't be paid another way. FML

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The key is to get the bargain off eBay and then do all the work on them when you’re supposed to be doing your day job

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What kind of drives are you running that benefits materially from 6gbps vs 3gbps per port?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wibla posted:

What kind of drives are you running that benefits materially from 6gbps vs 3gbps per port?

That's the gently caress of it. These are eight 4TB Ultrastars so no, they won't benefit. Not really. But they are "capable" of 6gbps and I've been starting at the connection trhoughput on the SmartArray as 3gbps I finally got annoyed enough and obsessed enough to get a HBA capable of 6gbps.

So yeah, this whole exercise is ultimately pointless.

It's me: I'm what's pissing me off. My backup server was running perfectly fine. Not a hiccup whatsoever. So now it's in pieces all across my workbench.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The backup server is not the goal. The real goal is the friends HBA boards we got along the way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hope this person gets hit by a meteorite.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The one that made the terrible crop?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

If it makes you feel any better I accessed that via the save dialogue of the native Windows print to pdf functionality, then was able to abuse that to get an explorer window by zipping and unzipping a random file I found somewhere and telling explorer to show me the files on completion. After that I was able to create and run batch files from the user directory and that's just silly for what should be a web app.

We're in luck, our lockdown implementation also blocks \\127.0.0.1\c$ More good news for my team!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hey, at least someone asked them what the solution was and actually got an answer. So many times they never actually provide their solution.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You, uh, read that "reply?"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Tapedump posted:

You, uh, read that "reply?"

nah why bother, he responded and clearly wrote a solution, I'll read it if I run into that issue and I'm sure it will work fine

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have read that reply like six times and I have no idea what it means, a fact that is not helped by the text being cut off for no reason.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nothing in this universe will make me grab for the :jerkbag: response than someone, usually in management, being given a factual summary of a situation and the impact on any timelines and responding to say how unacceptable that is, and how it must be done by the original date. It won't be, start planning around that. And gently caress off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I didn’t figure the actual reply matters, that’s why the terrible crop. It was just to show the conversation continued.

What kind of horrible person thinks “Yeah, thanks” instead of actual details is an appropriate response to a tech problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think we all thought it was their second answer you were upset about. At least they responded and explained.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Combat Pretzel posted:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

loving lol

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Had a real poo poo day, this is the hardest I've laughed in a bit, thank you

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Perfection.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

I almost spit out my coffee lmao

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spent like 50 hours working on an inventory reconciliation project over the last 2 weeks or so, I have been looking at spreadsheets so much I am starting to have dreams about them.

If that wasn't bad enough, I identified a couple dozen devices that don't exist in our inventory. Sent tickets to the various teams responsible for managing these devices, and asked them to create records. One team's manager just...deleted all my tickets? And said their team just doesn't have time??? Another closed a ticket saying that until an official policy exists, they were not going to make inventory records for VMs????????

:psyduck:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

at that point i'd love to just revoke any access those devices have to company resources. sorry, unknown and unauthorized devices, no idea who's responsible for them!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make it your boss's problem so they can make it those teams boss's problem

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My boss is currently on vacation but we will definitely be having a discussion about it when he comes back. Also, probably because he is on vacation, multiple people complained about me to his boss, who then told my coworker to tell me not to make any more tickets. I got grief from multiple managers immediately yesterday after creating all the tickets, and was feeling pretty bad about it all last night, but knowing they also went and cried about how I asked them to do their job? just lmao

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The rot is too deep, get out while you still can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I mean at least VMs can't fall into spec buckets...