Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Some one needs to grow a spine and stand up to the sales people or it will turn into Wolf of Wall Street/Enron.

Sales are like frat bros, no doesn't mean no it means try harder.

You need to take a leaf out of their book when it comes to laying down professional standards while making it look like you guys are pulling for the team.

Tell them you are only staffed for a 4 week turnaround until you can get some more warm bodies but being the team player you will pull out the stops, put other projects on hold to get them the 2 week turnaround. If they want it quicker you can do that but you will need to get some temps in that are not in the budget yet so it will cost their department $X per urgent setup. Make it sound like you are doing everything you can with what you have got but you just don't have it. Provide solutions to the issue so it's sales who sound like the assholes.

Just as Sales rarely speaks truth, so to must you rarely speak truth to Sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I should check my own clearance status. I've been waiting on word regarding my TS for about six months. Will the JPAS site tell me one way or the other?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So I had my phone interview with the VP of HR for a Sr VP of IT position. She warned me it would be a short interview and she'd have to toss me off the phone abruptly. Fine. She started by asking for what sort of industry specific projects I'd done at the last place, so I described a good one. She says "We don't do that here." I told her I understood and pointed out that it's a common project in our industry but it makes sense that not everyone does the same thing. She repeats two more times that they don't do that there, as if I just described the entirety of my responsibilities and wouldn't be a good fit.

She moves on immediately to saying that their environment would probably be boring for me which makes no sense at all. They're actually a fair bit larger than the last place, and she then said that they have few tech systems and are looking to implement them which to me sounds like a good challenge. I talked about how I can assess their infrastructure and where they want the company to be in five years and guide the implementation of new systems.

She then said "We know people at your old place so of course we're going to call them and find out everything about you." Fantastic. I countered by saying I experienced the same thing when I left the prior employer, since the CEO's of the old and new companies knew each other. She asks me "What are they going to tell me?" I talked about the recommendations on my Linkedin profile that emphasized my responsiveness and experience. Then she says "I want to assure you we know people over there, so we're going to be hearing the full deal so what are they going to tell me?" I asked if she wanted to hear about negative feedback I'd had but claimed that it wasn't what she meant. The interview sort of fumbled along a couple more minutes and then it was done.

She's going to talk to the recruiter about setting up a face to face with her before moving on to the next interview.

It's not that I don't expect lovely interviews. I plan for them. But I felt like she was in some sort of rush to eliminate me for invalid reasons, and I didn't like the threatening tone about calling my old employer. It makes me feel I should abandon my industry altogether because if prospective employers are going to use their personal connections to talk to my old bosses of course they're going to say I'm a horrible, worthless bastard.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dick Trauma posted:

She then said "We know people at your old place so of course we're going to call them and find out everything about you." Fantastic. I countered by saying I experienced the same thing when I left the prior employer, since the CEO's of the old and new companies knew each other. She asks me "What are they going to tell me?" I talked about the recommendations on my Linkedin profile that emphasized my responsiveness and experience. Then she says "I want to assure you we know people over there, so we're going to be hearing the full deal so what are they going to tell me?"

Heh.

There is such a thing for asking as too much and I honestly would have said that "Well, my boss would not the best but the greatest System Administrator on the face of the entire planet and there is no one better than I." or some other some such nonsense.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dick Trauma posted:

<snip - much ado about unprofessional behavior>

This is a woman who is searching for someone who will end up being one of her peers in the staff of VPs. She must be currying so much favor with her future co-workers.

Executive search agencies exist for this express purpose -- that is, months-long searches for character and talent that don't just interview the applicants but the team that would work with the open position in the future. It's a long shot, but I'm guessing this company is taking no such elegant route?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I saw her LinkedIn and she has been in HR at high levels for decades but like most HR people she isn't good at it. This was meant to be a quick phone screen so it should've been high level questions that can easily rule an applicant in or out, not an awkward pseudo-interview that's so short as to be worthless.

The recruiter said that the company had started with them, but then tried direct hire and made an offer to someone that turned it down, so they're back to using the recruiter again. I was hoping to get a chance to ask her about that.

Anyway I'm not bothered by it. Like I told the recruiter if they want to continue I'm down for it. $120k and a Sr. VP title would be nice to have! All this time I've been focusing on what I can do for companies, and look what it got me. One kick in the behind after another. I'm still a responsible and committed worker but now I want to know what I can get. If I can get what I want, fine. My investment has to have a return, and I think this is the right time to try to enhance my marketability to my next job is a step upward.

I've been an I.T. Manager (on paper) for ten years now. I need to stay cool and not rush into something sub-par. I'm almost 50. It's worth the time to try to make that next leap now, not after my next job.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

I saw her LinkedIn and she has been in HR at high levels for decades but like most HR people she isn't good at it.

HR dictators are the worst. If she ends up sandbagging the process, see if you can track down the people who actually matter at the company and talk to them directly. gently caress, you're applying for a position at a level where I would expect HR to be out of the loop until it's time for the paperwork anyway.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I never understood companies which have HR do a ton of interviewing. They rarely (if ever) know the subject matter unless you're interviewing for an HR position, and it just serves to irritate the hiring manager and the applicant alike.

I was genuinely impressed by the smoothness of the process when I interviewed for my current job. HR called me and made sure I wasn't a raving lunatic, scheduled all of the various interviews, and met me at the door to introduce me around (and presumably do a double-check on that raving lunatic thing). Then the HR rep left and I did my actual interviews. Then more paperwork/negotiations, then "here's your orientation date."

What pissed me off was my old company calling me after the fact to ask how to do things that they had trained me to do five years prior, then apparently forgot how to do themselves.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sonic Dude posted:

What pissed me off was my old company calling me after the fact to ask how to do things that they had trained me to do five years prior, then apparently forgot how to do themselves.

You'd be happy to tell them for your old salary multiplied with Pi before taxes and entitlement costs, with a 4 hour minimum on every phonecall.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
IT just asked me for my windows and exchange passwords to set me up a new PC. :cripes:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Sales are like frat bros, no doesn't mean no it means try harder.

Really dude?

E: I may be reading that out of context because of the recent rolling stone hoax thing, but if i'm not, I stand by it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 30, 2015

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

jammyozzy posted:

IT just asked me for my windows and exchange passwords to set me up a new PC. :cripes:

They probably think you're just a normal user. We have to do that all the time, or nobody would ever be able to log onto their computer and start their email by themselves.

In literally poo poo that is pissing me off: Office Puppy had an incident in the meeting room in the IT department. I'd be pissed at her, but she's just too cute.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I do have to keep a screenshot of the exchange server settings around because auto-detect doesn't work and we have no such thing as a standard image or GPO's or any of that good stuff.

I'm mostly concerned that like 99% of users won't bother changing their passwords before and afterwards.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

evobatman posted:

They probably think you're just a normal user. We have to do that all the time, or nobody would ever be able to log onto their computer and start their email by themselves.

In literally poo poo that is pissing me off: Office Puppy had an incident in the meeting room in the IT department. I'd be pissed at her, but she's just too cute.

Can I request a picture of said Office Puppy? Without the poo poo please.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can I request a picture of said Office Puppy? Without the poo poo please.

http://imgur.com/a/1A86K

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Awwwww, it's adorable <3 Thank you!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What does "papir" mean? :mrgw:

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

He was just getting the presentation ready for upper management.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Dick Trauma posted:

What does "papir" mean? :mrgw:

Papir = paper.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

evobatman posted:

You'd be happy to tell them for your old salary multiplied with Pi before taxes and entitlement costs, with a 4 hour minimum on every phonecall.

It started out with the guy who took over my clients asking easy/dumb questions over texts, which didn't really bug me because he's pretty green and gets panicked easily. But calls of "how do you read this report that we've gotten every month since before you got hired?" and "what was the guy's name who is in our documentation along with his phone number?" was where I drew the line.

They were very cool with me when I left about insurance and the like, so rather than make a big stink I just waited until I wasn't at my new job to answer them. They wanted answers before the evening obviously, so they started reading the documentation.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Sonic Dude posted:

It started out with the guy who took over my clients asking easy/dumb questions over texts, which didn't really bug me because he's pretty green and gets panicked easily. But calls of "how do you read this report that we've gotten every month since before you got hired?" and "what was the guy's name who is in our documentation along with his phone number?" was where I drew the line.

They were very cool with me when I left about insurance and the like, so rather than make a big stink I just waited until I wasn't at my new job to answer them. They wanted answers before the evening obviously, so they started reading the documentation.

Stop. Work is a thing you do for pay, and they're not paying.

When I got a call on my personal cell for support literally months after I'd left my old job, my immediate and loud reaction was to start laughing. I then reminded the caller that I no longer worked there, and wished her the best of luck resolving her issue.

If they're paying you consulting fees, consult. Otherwise, wish them luck and redirect the questions to "so how are Betty and the kids".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Puppies are so goddamn cute. I wouldn't be able to work with one about, i'd get distracted all the time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

So I had my phone interview with the VP of HR for a Sr VP of IT position. She warned me it would be a short interview and she'd have to toss me off the phone abruptly. Fine. She started by asking for what sort of industry specific projects I'd done at the last place, so I described a good one. She says "We don't do that here." I told her I understood and pointed out that it's a common project in our industry but it makes sense that not everyone does the same thing. She repeats two more times that they don't do that there, as if I just described the entirety of my responsibilities and wouldn't be a good fit.

She moves on immediately to saying that their environment would probably be boring for me which makes no sense at all. They're actually a fair bit larger than the last place, and she then said that they have few tech systems and are looking to implement them which to me sounds like a good challenge. I talked about how I can assess their infrastructure and where they want the company to be in five years and guide the implementation of new systems.

She then said "We know people at your old place so of course we're going to call them and find out everything about you." Fantastic. I countered by saying I experienced the same thing when I left the prior employer, since the CEO's of the old and new companies knew each other. She asks me "What are they going to tell me?" I talked about the recommendations on my Linkedin profile that emphasized my responsiveness and experience. Then she says "I want to assure you we know people over there, so we're going to be hearing the full deal so what are they going to tell me?" I asked if she wanted to hear about negative feedback I'd had but claimed that it wasn't what she meant. The interview sort of fumbled along a couple more minutes and then it was done.

She's going to talk to the recruiter about setting up a face to face with her before moving on to the next interview.

It's not that I don't expect lovely interviews. I plan for them. But I felt like she was in some sort of rush to eliminate me for invalid reasons, and I didn't like the threatening tone about calling my old employer. It makes me feel I should abandon my industry altogether because if prospective employers are going to use their personal connections to talk to my old bosses of course they're going to say I'm a horrible, worthless bastard.

That phone call would have ended with me saying "You know what, we're done here" and hanging up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I rarely draw as hard a line as Rhymenoserous, but I have to agree. A passive-aggressive head of HR is a bad sign.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Rhymenoserous posted:

That phone call would have ended with me saying "You know what, we're done here" and hanging up.

That may have been the intent. She may already have someone in mind and is trying to fix the choices to get her preferred candidate by driving off the others.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Call her boss.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The recruiter just called. The HR VP contacted him and said she wanted to move on to an in-person interview with her as soon as possible. :catstare:

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Maybe you were playing an interview game of chicken and she blinked.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Maybe it was some dumb stress test to see how you reacted.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Dick Trauma posted:

The recruiter just called. The HR VP contacted him and said she wanted to move on to an in-person interview with her as soon as possible. :catstare:

You handled that situation exactly like how they were wanting you to.

Wonderful.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Fil5000 posted:

Like personality tests and brain teasers, I wouldn't want to work there if that's standard.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Dick Trauma posted:

Huh. That's neat. Well congrats on making it past the first round.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

DT, I wouldn't flinch if she pulls the same poo poo in the interview, but I would also pay attention to social queues from other people you interview with. They may let on whether or not that behavior is common for interviews just to gauge someones personality, or if it reflects on HR as a whole.

Fil5000 posted:

They did that when I interviewed at my current job. VP of HR was hammering me on why I never went to college, despite the fact that I've been gainfully employed in IT since High School with the exception of a 3 month gap. In 2007/2008. We never really discussed any other topics.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Dick Trauma posted:

I think you just got hazed. Congratulations(?!)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

dogstile posted:

Really dude?

E: I may be reading that out of context because of the recent rolling stone hoax thing, but if i'm not, I stand by it.

I was using an easy to understand stereotype. I could of said that they are like 8 year olds who push and push until told off then go and push the boundaries another way.

It is in the makeup of the sorts of people who become successful in sales to do this. They will push, cajole and outright lie if they think they can get away with it. Just look at the PPI miss selling. I was in the industry at the time and everyone knew it was a con and you shouldn't miss sell it but at the same time unless you met your quotas of PPI you would be out on your ear. People would take sales calls onto private mobiles so they wouldn't be recorded. My friend works support in a scientific instrument company and the sales guys all the time tell them the customer expects it to do Y because they said it would so it bloody well better do Y by the time it ships.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Not pissing me off, but it made me laugh. It's probably pissing somebody off:

Issue: Search isn’t returning results or results are incomplete.
Remediation: Full re-indexing is underway and expected to take 15-20 more days.

:stare:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Power goes out on day 17, re-indexing has to start over.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
My bosses method of troubleshooting - swing the hammer, if the hammer doesn't fix it, swing it faster and harder and that will eventually fix the problem.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I just got an email invite with less than two hours notice, where every other attendee (there are about 15 others) is an assistant director or higher-level manager, with the subject of "Demo" and no text in it.

Wish me luck!

I once got a 10 minute notice "EMERGENCY MEETING" where I was the only one on the list that wasn't a Senior VP or higher. Turns out the new Chief HR guy had the same First name and first 3 of the Last name as me, and in the panic to discuss our CEO putting in his notice they just tab selected me into the meeting invite.

I didn't show but I *did* have some juicy gossip to share for a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GOOCHY posted:

My bosses method of troubleshooting - swing the hammer, if the hammer doesn't fix it, swing it faster and harder and that will eventually fix the problem.
The ancient art of percussive maintenance.