Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Storysmith posted:

For gently caress's sake, that article whines about using `ls *` in a script with "the `ls` is not very useful. It will just waste an extra process doing absolutely nothing." We're not paying by the PID here, people.

There's a gray area between being a pedantic rear end and knowing that someone who writes, "if (foo() == true)" has no idea what the hell they're doing and now you have to look really closely at everything else they write as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
One of the helpdesk guys popped in with this week's installment of...

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!
The game where stupid people makes you scratch your head.

In today's installment we're looking at a laptop keyboard. Support had already dismantled it before I snapped a picture. Pretend it's still mounted to the machine and the frame is intact.

Before you answer here's how it looks underneath.

and the money shot.

This week we're going easy on you. What the user says happened seems to be true, so we're only making one guess.
Ladies and gentlemen.. WHAT HAPPENED?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Crowley posted:

One of the helpdesk guys popped in with this week's installment of...

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!
The game where stupid people makes you scratch your head.

In today's installment we're looking at a laptop keyboard. Support had already dismantled it before I snapped a picture. Pretend it's still mounted to the machine and the frame is intact.

Before you answer here's how it looks underneath.

and the money shot.

This week we're going easy on you. What the user says happened seems to be true, so we're only making one guess.
Nothing, it's always been like that but it just stopped working this weekend and I need you to fix it this is affecting production

animal urine

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Crowley posted:

Left baking in the sun in a hot car on a sunny day?

Edit:

Or was it struck by lighting. That would be neat.

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012
Nail polish remover spill?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Looks like some sort of organic solvent a la nail polish remover to me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It got rained on so they put it in the microwave to dry.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Put on top of a hot oven plate.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape

Kazinsal posted:

Looks like some sort of organic solvent a la nail polish remover to me.

burns_2k posted:

Nail polish remover spill?

This! Other solvents have similar effects, but are unlikely to end up hovering above a laptop

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A dropped bottle of nail polish remover is indeed the correct answer.

The acetone melted the keyboard to the chassis and the supporter had to pry it off. The user will end up with a replacement keyboard and getting the same laptop back.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 2, 2015

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Impressive marbling. It's like a Kobe beeftop.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
More poo poo that pisses you off: It's like a Kobe beeftop

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kidney Stone posted:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well hey, at least they were honest, which is a lot more than you'd normally expect :D

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Left baking in the sun in a hot car on a sunny day?

Edit:

Or was it struck by lighting. That would be neat.

I had the same thought about heat but you can see that the damage is localized to the keyboard. In addition, you would expect heat to be worst on either the screen or on the reverse side of the laptop (bottom) and not the middle, where it is presumably most insulated from the sun.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Lovely craquelure... :allears:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Crowley posted:

A dropped bottle of nail polish remover is indeed the correct answer.

The acetone melted the keyboard to the chassis and the supporter had to pry it off. The user will end up with a replacement keyboard and getting the same laptop back.

Did they actually tell you straight up that's what happened, or did you have to show them chemical swabs turning blue to force them to fess up?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kidney Stone posted:

Mods please.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Pissing me off: noise, and managerial responses to concerns about it.

I'm one of about a dozen developers working for a company where the software is the main product. We work in a single room that we share with everyone else (marketing, accounting, IT, support, etc). There are cubicles, or at least full-height walls made from cubicle material, that do a decent job of muffling the ambient noise level of 40 people working in an otherwise open space, at least to the point where headphones with music are enough to let us maintain our level of concentration.

At least, it was enough until they promoted the loudest, most gregarious man in the company to be the product owner of one of our products and moved him smack dab into the developer section, across from me on a diagonal. Our cubes are set up in a hallway arrangement, so developers face each other over our monitors. This guy talks at full volume to people across the hall, and over the wall to the next hall, all day. When he's not talking to someone specific, he narrates what he's doing or verbally reacts to something on his monitor.

The IT manager knows this is a problem because we've all come to him to bitch about it. When he brought it up to the project manager (a guy who works remotely, I might add), the project manager's reaction was, "do they think this is a library?"

:fuckoff:

The executives are apparently talking about getting rid of the cubicles and desks entirely in favor of a completely open space with long tables that we'd all share. The IT manager is going to fight it but I doubt he's going to win against this loving idiocy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

"do they think this is a library?"

This guy sounds like he's never experienced programming flow and how disruptive distractions are.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

"do they think this is a library?"

"No, I think this is a professional place of work."

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Provide your IT Manager with the following as a response to the project manager's snark:

"No, they think this is an office in which people are working. They also think their work requires concentration to achieve the best result possible - the completion of your project. Do you want them to work hard and finish your project or do you want to just be snarky about a reasonable complaint."

gently caress I'm ornery today.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Congrats Che, you literally work with Loud Howard.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Just a typical IM conversation.

Boss @ 9:59: "Hey man"
Me: "Good morning! What's up? I think I've figured out [issue xyz] from last night. Blah blah blah. What do you think?"
Boss @ 10:05: "One sec, my 10:00 call just started. Brb"

Radio silence for the rest of the day so far. :confused:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tailored Sauce posted:

Congrats Che, you literally work with Loud Howard.

My last job I worked for Loud Howard + PHB + Catbert mashed up into one person. At least this guy isn't my direct superior or responsible for my paychecks.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Skandranon posted:

Did they actually tell you straight up that's what happened, or did you have to show them chemical swabs turning blue to force them to fess up?

That varies wildely. Some just don't care, some are ashamed, and some outright lie.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I got a call from a trader once that his phone was broken. It was an Aastra 57i, it has a 4" LCD screen on it. I came onsite with a replacement phone, and the LCD was smashed in and the speaker side of the receiver was shattered. I asked him what happened, and he said "Nothing. The phone was not broken before, and the phone is broken now." Then he just turned away from me and didn't speak about it any more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Che Delilas posted:

My last job I worked for Loud Howard + PHB + Catbert mashed up into one person. At least this guy isn't my direct superior or responsible for my paychecks.

One place I was stuck between the guy that would whistle off-key and out of tune all goddamn day and the other guy who would constantly argue over the phone with his wife, punctuating the discussion by repeatedly banging the desk with his fist.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

One place I was stuck between the guy that would whistle off-key and out of tune all goddamn day and the other guy who would constantly argue over the phone with his wife, punctuating the discussion by repeatedly banging the desk with his fist.

My boss an I sit at cubicles next to each other, and we have a good dynamic where we troubleshoot out loud, not really talking to each other, and if we hear the other one working on something that we know, we just start talking about it. Sometimes someone else sits at the empty spot in our cubicle and thinks we are talking to them and it's super awkward.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
SPMO: The guy who is replacing me claimed to know how callbacks and promises work in JavaScript; didn't understand callbacks or promises.
Edit* I did not interview him.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The guy who replaced me at my last job had my old workstation die on him, and he couldn't fix it, and he quit inside of a week

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off:
  • Certain legislation applies to a handful of employees, and requires training on certain topics.
  • Don't bother identifying those employees; mandate that all employees take training.
  • Penalty for failing to take training on time is immediate removal of network access.
  • (Including access to the training system.)
  • Have policy stating that 30 days notice will be given for this training.
  • Actually give 4 days notice.
  • (Assess no penalty for late notice to the group mandating the training.)
  • Proceed to ask questions on quizzes that are not covered in any training material. Have employees make guesses as to the legal interpretation of certain terms.
I saw a cool idea a few years ago that IT security gets an annual budget. Any time they want to do something to take employee's time, that time gets charged to their budget. They can use the budget for anything IT security-related they want: software, hardware, armed guards in the data center, whatever. But taking people's time counts too.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off:
  • Certain legislation applies to a handful of employees, and requires training on certain topics.
  • Don't bother identifying those employees; mandate that all employees take training.
  • Penalty for failing to take training on time is immediate removal of network access.
  • (Including access to the training system.)
  • Have policy stating that 30 days notice will be given for this training.
  • Actually give 4 days notice.
  • (Assess no penalty for late notice to the group mandating the training.)
  • Proceed to ask questions on quizzes that are not covered in any training material. Have employees make guesses as to the legal interpretation of certain terms.
I saw a cool idea a few years ago that IT security gets an annual budget. Any time they want to do something to take employee's time, that time gets charged to their budget. They can use the budget for anything IT security-related they want: software, hardware, armed guards in the data center, whatever. But taking people's time counts too.

Dear god that sounds like the worst planning nightmare. Please tell me you didn't have to be the one that gets yelled at for this?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Pissing me off: noise, and managerial responses to concerns about it.

I'm one of about a dozen developers working for a company where the software is the main product. We work in a single room that we share with everyone else (marketing, accounting, IT, support, etc). There are cubicles, or at least full-height walls made from cubicle material, that do a decent job of muffling the ambient noise level of 40 people working in an otherwise open space, at least to the point where headphones with music are enough to let us maintain our level of concentration.

At least, it was enough until they promoted the loudest, most gregarious man in the company to be the product owner of one of our products and moved him smack dab into the developer section, across from me on a diagonal. Our cubes are set up in a hallway arrangement, so developers face each other over our monitors. This guy talks at full volume to people across the hall, and over the wall to the next hall, all day. When he's not talking to someone specific, he narrates what he's doing or verbally reacts to something on his monitor.

The IT manager knows this is a problem because we've all come to him to bitch about it. When he brought it up to the project manager (a guy who works remotely, I might add), the project manager's reaction was, "do they think this is a library?"

:fuckoff:

The executives are apparently talking about getting rid of the cubicles and desks entirely in favor of a completely open space with long tables that we'd all share. The IT manager is going to fight it but I doubt he's going to win against this loving idiocy.

Send them the article from ages past on "Managing Nerds"

http://randsinrepose.com/archives/managing-nerds/

Specifically this bit

quote:

You obsessively protect both your nerd’s time and space. Until you’ve experienced the solving of a seemingly impossible problem, it’s hard to understand how far a nerd will go to protect his problem solving focus and you can help. The road to either High is a mental state traditionally called the Zone. There are three things to know about the Zone:

The almost-constant quest of the nerd is managing all the crap that is preventing us from entering the Zone as we search for the Highs. Meetings, casual useless fly-bys, biological nuisances, that mysterious knock-knock-knocking that comes from the ceiling tiles whenever the AC kicks in — what the nerd is doing in the first 15 minutes of getting in the Zone is building focus, and it’s a Jenga-like construction that small distractions can topple.
Every single second you allow a nerd to remain in the Zone is a second where something loving miraculous can occur.
As I’ve explained before, your nerd has built himself a Cave. It might not actually look like a cave, or maybe it does. The goal around its construction is simple: protect the Zone so we can chase the Highs. Stand up right now and walk to each of your nerds’ offices and spelunk the caves. Ask the question: “How are they protecting their focus?” Back to the door? Headphones? Massive screen real estate? You don’t have to ask a single question to begin to understand what your nerd does to protect his Cave. You need to ask…

What is your nerd’s hoodie? I write better when I’m wearing a hoodie. There’s something warm and cave-like about having my head surrounded — it gives me permission to ignore the world. Over time, those around me know that interrupting hoodie-writing is a capital offense. They know when I reach to pull the hoodie over my head that I’ve successfully discarded all distractions on the Planet Earth and am currently communing with the pure essence of whatever I’m working on.

It’s irrational and it’s delicious.

Your nerd has a hoodie. It’s a visual cue to stay away as they chase their Highs and your job is both identification and enforcement. I don’t know your nerds, so I don’t know what you’ll discover, but I am confident that these hoodie-like obsessions will often make no sense to you – even if you ask. Yes, there will always Mountain Dew nearby. Of course, we will never be without square pink Post-its.

Don’t sweat it. Support it. Also, understand the interesting potentially negative by-products of all this nerdery, such as…

Having some loud gregarious jackass around me when I'm in the "Zone" ruins everything.

When I worked in webhosting the CEO Had the idiot brainwave of putting the Systems admins right next to the T1/2 phone support pit in hopes that some of our brains would rub off via lovely office lighting osmosis or something. Since our coding department was largely useless it wasn't unusual to find a system's admin balls deep in some chunk of godawful scripting trying to figure out why our horrible autprovision suite wasn't working at any given moment across the 18 different OS flavors we offered at any given time. At this point plesk and cpanel weren't really fleshed out and what I would call "Functional" so "Roll your own" was what most webhosts did. On top of that half of our hardware was overtasked/utilized because lol budget hosting and we were spending a lot of our spare time simply holding the lid down before hell boiled over.

I honestly don't think I got any work done during that entire "Open plan" period because I spent 95% of my time fielding questions/being interrupted by T1 support people/just generally being drowned by a constant haze of chatter. The only time I got work done is when I snagged my really expensive (Back then) noise canceling headphones and my USB drive full of MP3's and locked myself in the datacenter. I'm shocked I don't have hearing loss from sitting next to those lieberts as often as I did. Eventually they gave us offices and the world became a better place.

EDIT: Most of our sysadmins got a reputation for being extremely caustic during the "Open plan" days.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 2, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

mewse posted:

This guy sounds like he's never experienced programming flow and how disruptive distractions are.

Seriously this. Rand's blog entry on The Zone is a must read for everyone ever:

http://randsinrepose.com/archives/a-nerd-in-a-cave/

E:f:b

I once Snapped at an intern so hard he left my office in tears. I felt bad for doing it afterwards, but man I tore his head off while working on some TSQL- I was sitting in my office with the door closed, hoodie up and headphones on. I'd been sitting so still that the motion sensors turned off the light and I hadn't noticed.

He came in to ask me a question or something and the door opened and the lights turned on and startled me out of my Zone and I let him have it.

I /still/ feel bad about that one.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 3, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mewse posted:

The guy who replaced me at my last job had my old workstation die on him, and he couldn't fix it, and he quit inside of a week

When I left my evening shift help desk job a few years back (being the only person who liked night owl shift but hated being the ONLY person on it) it took the company close to 7 months to find someone to replace me. In the meantime 3 other employees quit after getting shuffled to the my old shift in a rotation because they couldn't keep up with half the workload I was handling. Funny part was, I had a process for doing things and keeping organized, they didn't and ended up sticking with age-old rules and "fixes" and got burned out fast. Cherry on the sundae was that I had all my processes and workflows documented on an internal KB website, nobody thought they were useful or always came back with a petty reason to not use them, and it screwed them in the end. So it goes with employers that don't trust their people, nor want to treat them like humans.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I got a call from a trader once that his phone was broken. It was an Aastra 57i, it has a 4" LCD screen on it. I came onsite with a replacement phone, and the LCD was smashed in and the speaker side of the receiver was shattered. I asked him what happened, and he said "Nothing. The phone was not broken before, and the phone is broken now." Then he just turned away from me and didn't speak about it any more.

What is it with people in the financial industry? I have a few mortgage companies as customers and between them I can point to about a half dozen users who have gone through multiple phones this year in basically the same way. I honestly don't know how they do it, I put some dents in my desk with a Polycom handset but these guys sometimes manage to crack them in half.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

wolrah posted:

What is it with people in the financial industry? I have a few mortgage companies as customers and between them I can point to about a half dozen users who have gone through multiple phones this year in basically the same way. I honestly don't know how they do it, I put some dents in my desk with a Polycom handset but these guys sometimes manage to crack them in half.

Imagine the rage of losing out on a [insert 5 digit number] bonus this quarter because your intel/prediction/gamble was off and you just got the news via phone notification.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Thanks, jerks who used to email picture.jpg.exe to everyone, making it a pain in the rear end if I want to send a guy a file.

The certificates you wanted generated are in this zip file which I've renamed to txt, enjoy.

There should be two internets, one for people who act in good faith and who should be able to email an attachment without it getting stripped, and one for everyone else, who's with me people

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The first thing I'm doing on your good internet is tricking people into sending me money.

Forgive the sales talk, but does anyone have a recommendation for some scanning 'workflow' software? We're going to be doing a non-trivial amount of scanning in our org and we need software that can take the scanned image from our MFDs, convert it to OCR'd PDF and deliver it to \\server\\share\%username%.

We run Papercut so ideally it would play nicely with that.

We have four sites so we'd want to processing to happen locally rather than having to travel over the WAN to get processed and then delivered back.

Does a product like this exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Swink posted:

The first thing I'm doing on your good internet is tricking people into sending me money.

Forgive the sales talk, but does anyone have a recommendation for some scanning 'workflow' software? We're going to be doing a non-trivial amount of scanning in our org and we need software that can take the scanned image from our MFDs, convert it to OCR'd PDF and deliver it to \\server\\share\%username%.

We run Papercut so ideally it would play nicely with that.

We have four sites so we'd want to processing to happen locally rather than having to travel over the WAN to get processed and then delivered back.

Does a product like this exist?

EMC Captiva can do that plus some but its sold by EMC so its not cheap. It can do a lot of stuff so setup can be a hassle too.