Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Nulldevice posted:

I once worked with a guy who claimed to be a CCNA that didn't know what a router was. At a national ISP. Yeah, he didn't last long.

Fixed that for you.

We (briefly) had a tier 1 tech who claimed to have a half dozen cetts, including CCNA, but couldn't handle a password reset without loving it up. I doubt she could spell CCNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have a block of addresses under 198.124.0.0 as well as a private network using 192.168.0.0 and I always have to look two or three times to make sure I'm typing in the right address.

They're just close enough that you have to actually read the number instead of quick scanning and assuming it's right.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Fixed that for you.

We (briefly) had a tier 1 tech who claimed to have a half dozen cetts, including CCNA, but couldn't handle a password reset without loving it up. I doubt she could spell CCNA.

This was 18 years ago, so the details are somewhat foggy. I don't remember if someone claiming their cert had to bring proof or not. But man that guy couldn't do a fuckin thing.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Fixed that for you.

I took over a small 4 man team two jobs ago, just network/firewall focused, that's all the team did. Just prior to the last director leaving amidst drama, he hired a new tech. She had a CCNA and the easier of the two CCNP certifications.

She had *NO* idea how netmasks worked, no idea how to set up even static routes, pull configs, anything. She hid it really well for almost 4 months because she was very attractive and got the other people on my team to do the work for her. She was outed by the trans-woman on the team.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Those people just braindumped the tests obviously.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SEKCobra posted:

Had a student in my final project in college. He had apparently failed the lab part of each class but gotten by buy acing the written tests. Midway through the final project you review the team members. Everyone gave this guy such a scathing review he was dropped from the class. He was still on the first task he said he knew how to do, windows share permissions. He had been doing them by user instead of group per folder, and they were still all kinds of wrong with tons of denies.

I wish more schools had an actual hands on build an environment on real hardware final. I've met so many people in the field that can't do basic poo poo but have a degree in IT.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

pixaal posted:

Had a student in my final project in college. He had apparently failed the lab part of each class but gotten by buy acing the written tests. Midway through the final project you review the team members. Everyone gave this guy such a scathing review he was dropped from the class. He was still on the first task he said he knew how to do, windows share permissions. He had been doing them by user instead of group per folder, and they were still all kinds of wrong with tons of denies.

I wish more schools had an actual hands on build an environment on real hardware final. I've met so many people in the field that can't do basic poo poo but have a degree in IT.

My program had a rule: You must pass both the written test and a hands on practical exam in order to pass the course. You couldn't ace one and completely bomb the other. It was a good rule and stopped a few people getting through that really had no business doing so.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My program had a rule: You must pass both the written test and a hands on practical exam in order to pass the course. You couldn't ace one and completely bomb the other. It was a good rule and stopped a few people getting through that really had no business doing so.

Cockblocks at the end work too, the college gets more money that way.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My CCNA courses in college had you build out an entire network to spec in 90 minutes for the final exam. Exam was OSPF with a bit of OSPFv3, had etherchannel, VLANs, some static routes, etc.
That was a fun as heck exam, though the sheer difficulty of the classes was probably why there were 40 people in the first quarter and 8 people by the time we got to the 4th quarter.
One guy was constantly cheating though, but it was obvious and he bombed the final.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I really hate the phrase "you've been volunteered to..."

Just assign the poo poo to me don't pretend like I actually wanted to do this

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Voluntold.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

stevewm posted:

Received a random package from "Cybereason"... They sent me a blue nerf gun...

Kinda makes sense. They are apparently ex0military cyber security types. They make an interesting tool to look for ransomware stuff called RansomFree. It uses honeypot files to trap a ransomware tool. (I have accidentally triggered it by deleting some.)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tailored Sauce posted:

Soon you'll be volunteering to do after hours work and never even knew you were so helpful! This guys a team player. Loves to work in the trenches. Someone get them an Applebee's gift card.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I have a legitimate CCNA and I almost don't want to keep putting it on my resume because I haven't touched IOS since I earned it two years ago. It's not like I'm trying for any networking positions now (if I was I'd be labbing stuff like when I was studying) but I'm afraid y'all would talk about me like one of those horrible examples if I worked with you. :(

I mean, I loving know what a router is and I could jog my memory to get through a password reset, but yeah.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 21, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's like a bike, if you sat down at a terminal I'm sure you could ? and tab your way through a bunch of show commands and figure out how the thing is set up. From there you could Google through some config changes if absolutely necessary.

That's definitely within CCNA level expectations. You proved you can learn it. Show that off.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I have a legitimate CCNA and I almost don't want to keep putting it on my resume because I haven't touched IOS since I earned it two years ago. It's not like I'm trying for any networking positions now (if I was I'd be labbing stuff like when I was studying) but I'm afraid y'all would talk about me like one of those horrible examples if I worked with you. :(

I mean, I loving know what a router is and I could jog my memory to get through a password reset, but yeah.

There is a massive difference between knowing how to do something and knowing how to sound like you do. Theory in IT is so different from doing. "Okay so the I set the DHCP scope to 192.168.10.1-192.168.10.254 but HOW do I do that?" They know phrase what they want to do but can't keep it in their head where it is, and can't figure out how to look it up.

That is who we are making fun of. You have probably met a few people like this, you might not even know they actually know stuff and just assume they are completely incompetent.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
The bike analogy is super good. I went a couple of years without really needing to touch network gear, then current job had be stand up a couple racks from nothing. Less relevant is that they were all ProCurves rather than Cisco. It's more that you learned the concepts and can apply that to what's in front of you than can remember every little detail.

This changes the farther up the cert chain you go, but I would hope if you got a CCIE that you deal with Cisco gear on the regular.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SEKCobra posted:

Very early in my career I spoke with a Cisco TAC guy in India who had two CCIEs (Voice and Security, hilariously different paths), 3 years of experience, and who could not help me set up a certificate on a router.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

xzzy posted:

We have a block of addresses under 198.124.0.0 as well as a private network using 192.168.0.0 and I always have to look two or three times to make sure I'm typing in the right address.

They're just close enough that you have to actually read the number instead of quick scanning and assuming it's right.

We have a client that uses public space that they don't own inside their network. I guess they just liked the way the numbers looked.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've also seen organizations with networks numbered in the documentation prefixes 192.0.2.0/24 (TEST-NET-1) and 198.51.100.0/24 (TEST-NET-2). Another org just squatted on the entire 6.0.0.0/8 (US Army) space.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Garbage duty really annoys me, like I'm not adverse to cleaning stuff up as I like a tidy workplace like anyone else but when IT is the one ordered to clean up for other people is pretty aggravating.

We get a bunch of prototyping equipment that gets very brief setup treatment (Asset tagged, MAC recorded with any IP reservations) and then handed over to relevant developer teams, these are games console dev kits so people know what they're doing when they get them. However they don't dispose of the boxes and such and apparently this is big of enough of a deal that IT need to trawl the floors and pick up people's poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SamDabbers posted:

I've also seen organizations with networks numbered in the documentation prefixes 192.0.2.0/24 (TEST-NET-1) and 198.51.100.0/24 (TEST-NET-2). Another org just squatted on the entire 6.0.0.0/8 (US Army) space.

As long as you never let your privates become public you will be fine!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Well, yeah, they were used with border NAT just like 1918 space, but it's still not good to do non-standard stuff if you connect to other networks.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

I still wonder why 99.9% of home gear is either 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.* .

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

sfwarlock posted:

Because it is an easy /24 block that is simple and can be explained to people that don't understand subnetting. I have seen some Comcast business routers sent with a 10.x.x.x though.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Google WiFi does 192.168.86.1. You also can't configure it from a website at that address like every other router ever, you have to use their app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RouterOS' default is 192.168.88.0/24 for some silly reason. Maybe they're Nazi's.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Google WiFi does 192.168.86.1. You also can't configure it from a website at that address like every other router ever, you have to use their app.

Is that a mobile app, or a Chrome app? Or both?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mobile app and it's fine really. It's refreshing what you can't configure actually. I spend all day dealing with technical issues, I'm happy to have WiFi that I just plug in and works with minimal config.

Also never worrying about having to update firmware myself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

RouterOS' default is 192.168.88.0/24 for some silly reason. Maybe they're Nazi's.

Could be year of birth of the dev, I have a friend who had to be told to make a new resume email as 88 was HH and people wouldn't see it as 1988.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Mobile app and it's fine really. It's refreshing what you can't configure actually. I spend all day dealing with technical issues, I'm happy to have WiFi that I just plug in and works with minimal config.

Also never worrying about having to update firmware myself.

It is, until I'm trying to janitor something from my laptop and have to go grab my phone to check the router. :argh: A chrome app would be nice at least. Hopefully I'm done janitoring for a while now anyway.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

Your username makes so much more sense now

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

sfwarlock posted:

This is a few years back.
I had a tv out pc in my lounge room, and I could not remote to it, was troubleshooting and noticed I could still ping it, yet it was unplugged.

I telnetted to 192.168.1.1 and got a banner for a router at my isp.
So I called them, and had to explain, to several people, why it was a bad thing, why thats MINE, not theirs, and prove it with screenshots.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fist4jesus posted:

This is a few years back.
I had a tv out pc in my lounge room, and I could not remote to it, was troubleshooting and noticed I could still ping it, yet it was unplugged.

I telnetted to 192.168.1.1 and got a banner for a router at my isp.
So I called them, and had to explain, to several people, why it was a bad thing, why thats MINE, not theirs, and prove it with screenshots.

Two things that stand out to me here:

1. Why would your TV have been at 192.168.1.1 in the first place?
2. If you're using 192.168.1.x internally, why would your router be passing the traffic outside far enough for the ISP's hardware to even have a chance to see it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

Two things that stand out to me here:

1. Why would your TV have been at 192.168.1.1 in the first place?
2. If you're using 192.168.1.x internally, why would your router be passing the traffic outside far enough for the ISP's hardware to even have a chance to see it?

Because ISP's can do stupid poo poo. Remember when early cable internet let you see your neighbor's printers?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

Because ISP's can do stupid poo poo. Remember when early cable internet let you see your neighbor's printers?

No it has nothing to do with isp stupidity, it has to do with router logic. If you send from 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.1, your router should never send it out the WAN port because it's a local address. If you reached an ISP device with a local address over the WAN, your router is borked to hell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No it has nothing to do with isp stupidity, it has to do with router logic. If you send from 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.1, your router should never send it out the WAN port because it's a local address. If you reached an ISP device with a local address over the WAN, your router is borked to hell.

Likely using the ISPs router with their config, which is the ISPs problem because they shouldn't be handing out devices configured that broken, because there are tons of people who don't know about computers at all and just want the internet. You need protect people that don't need to know about how a computer network works, they just want to get on youtube and facebook.

You can also get into a situation where ISPs wont give you any support if you use another router and it's just easier to use it. Internet is completely down. "No one else in your area is having this issue, and you are using your own router, that is an unsupported configuration goodbye."

If it's his own router than yes something is very very wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They aren't magic ip addresses, if someone wants to set them up as routable they can. They're really stupid for doing it, but they can do it.

Though .5 reaching .1 through a router would require some equally stupid subnet masks. Someone takes conserving ipv4 address space very seriously!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Please don't sit on a call and be so thick / ill prepared that every third word out of your mouth is an "uhhhhhhhhh". You sound like a loving Beavis and Butthead episode. Learn how to think about your next word without also making a noise, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-i-hacked-hundreds-of-companies-through-their-helpdesk-b7680ddc2d4c

that is some pretty impressive work and some fairly huge security holes in ticketing systems.