Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I opened a ticket to get internet access added to one of our servers, and it be placed in the SSL Bypass group (because they didn't setup their SSL inspection quite right)

Denied.

I provided examples of a ticket last month where we did the same thing for 3 other servers after I spoke with the SECURITY TEAM and showed them what was happening

Approved

BTW BOB WE NEED A SCREENSHOT OF THE ANTIVIRUS CLIENT ON THAT MACHINE

It's Linux bitch we don't have AV on those

SORRY

Anyway, I figured out that I went about this the wrong way - our datacenter team can give our servers internet access. So it's best to just ask them and we don't have to deal with the network and security folks.

Then some super helpful person replied to my ticket. "Have you installed the ssl certificates in the special way for your application?" (https://help.zscaler.com/zia/adding-custom-certificate-application-specific-trusted-store)

Did you look at any of the logs or screenshots in the ticket or the other tickets that are linked? Jesus christ.

Where do I apply to be a professional copy/paster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zil posted:

So what exactly is the point of Yammer? Is that like a thing people really use or is your companies just full of HR posting every few days trying to start a conversation?

Virtue signaling at work

That and keeping the other locations up to date on your dumb activities. We all went for a fifteen minute walk! Yay health! Look at this group picture of these sweaty motherfuckers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

joebuddah posted:

They started using CyberArk where I work. I get it, In reality users don't need to be able to install software without permission.

We use CyberArk as a password store

You log in, find the password you want and then you check it out.

But in reality you see that Joe has it checked out so you reach out to Joe on Teams and he says he's busy so he can't check it back in even though it's been two days. Then you either just copy the password out of there or Joe sends it to you over Teams.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I understand that you have an urgent requirement, and are working to strict deadlines, but it doesn't mean I can get you 20 access points and some PoE switches any sooner than a few months.

SUPPLY CHAIN

"How's July sound? No, 2023"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Scientists that 'know Python' and any MS Access user are the best.

"Bob, this doesn't work...can you look"

WHAT IN THE gently caress DID YOU DO

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just glad that 90% of these guys are using Jupyter Notebooks and RStudio

The guys that are still using command line poo poo...oh buddy

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boss confirmed with me that I don't have any college. I think they are writing up a permanent position for my contract role but I can't get hired in because I don't have a bachelors (should have years ago but whatever).

So we get to have that "well the thing is the company doesn't hire people without a BS so...", which I'm fully aware of from before I even applied, and am just fine being contracted long-term.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KillHour posted:

Someone who thinks you couldn't possibly be qualified to do the job you are literally already successfully doing for them because you don't have a piece of paper from someone else saying so must be too stupid to remember to breathe. It's the absolute definition of "we do not understand why our own policies exist but we will enforce them regardless."

Especially ironic with the constant diversity and inclusion babbling

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Windows not having a setting for apps to not process clicks on background windows has infuriated me forever. It wastes a lot of time forcing me to find the pixels on a visible part of a window that won't perform an action so I can bring it to the top of the stack.

There was a PowerToy called Xmouse a million years ago

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/issues/74

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Our boss is super awesome so he was telling us how they've been tracking since rto - the execs are tracking both badge swipes to get into the building as well as work laptop network activity being from in office vs at home.

Where I work they did this with contractors and time cards, audit them all and any discrepancies you get fired if they are having a bad quarter or they don't really like you

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's nice tog et out of the house but it's annoying when there are like 8 safety alerts in a day. (Chemical plant)

First of the month test
Lightning alert
High wind alert
Level 0 leak of something
Purging of something notice

Gotta stop where you're doing, lock your station, go around the corner to the board, stand there until it's done, go back...interruptions suck

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

The alternative is being on the scene of an industrial accident so I'll take the opportunity to stand outside for a bit

You don't go outside silly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have some CentOS 8 servers running in Azure (CentOS 8 went EOL end of last year). This is the third time I've had to explain to the same person why we can't "update the package". The security group has flagged 2 of them for having a vulnerability in a certain package.

Our options:

1. Switch to CentOS 8-stream
2. Switch to Rocky/Alma
3. Switch to RHEL
4. Buy EOL support from the image vendor (OpenLogix or something)

Today's suggestion: What if we take the RPM from stream...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also, we moved a bunch of blade chassis over to the other side of our datacenter because we got new servers. Cool.

It took 3 months to get them moved. They powered them on a month ago and it's taken another month to get the network provisioned. This crap is all outsourced to IBM and Kyndryl even though we own the building etc. I finally got to go into the DC the other day to connect the two new racks of servers to the network.

Network still isn't working so the nodes aren't online yet. And the place we moved the blade chassis to, nobody put an infiniband switch over there. So jobs that run over there complain about that and refuse to start.

Initially we hacked some scripts to send only single-node jobs to those machines. Then we hacked some more scripts to get them to ignore infiniband. In a perfect world one of us would just go over there and move the switch but we have to go through 14 levels of approvals etc. We only have one datacenter guy for our group and he's of course swamped and he kind of sucks. Maybe in 3 weeks we'll have the switch back over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aaand he emailed our Azure sales guy asking for their guidance. copying the solutions guy from Azure who already told us what to do.

Mustache Ride posted:

We're doing Rocky, the upgrade isn't terrible and I like what I've seen of the maintainers on IRC

I think that's where we are headed as well. Just a matter of when. We're also most likely moving to Warewulf so we've also got to hear Greg Kurtzer talk about Rocky during those meetings.