Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Manslaughter posted:

The workaround is to ask someone else for their password, then log in as them to submit a password reset request for your account, duh.

probably how Sony was hacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

jaegerx posted:

I work in a right to work state(Texas). Come at me bro. If you are stopping me from working then my state will have your balls in a sling.

RTW has nothing to do with this and non-compete clauses are perfectly valid in Texas with certain considerations

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

SCRUM meetings

Its a tragedy that basic managerial tasks and oversight have devolved to the point that poo poo like this is a Real Thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
ah yes we're the problem and not your poo poo job posting

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I love all the guys in this industry that have a hard on for certain hardware manufacturers, as if the parts aren't all identical and made by the same bloodied underage hands in some third world factory.

Yes but mine come in a prettier shell!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Wibla posted:

It's real easy to justify having extra equipment on hand. You have to document the cost of downtime and time wasted on service engineers though.

yes but people can be notoriously frugal and stupid so you end up having precisely zero spares for vital equipment but LETS GET EVERYONE THE LATEST IPHONES

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I cannot deal with my company anymore. poo poo, crap, feces, and more poo poo just keeps getting dumped on my team. Had a meeting with one of the new interim bosses. Got a scolding for not having one helpdesk guy in the room at all times. I brought up that just last Wednesday I was told that having my team ask for tickets and not immediately respond to drop-ins and remoting into computers was deemed to impersonal. That because of our insistence on tickets we were deemed not "customer service" oriented enough and that we needed to get up with the user walk to their desk and take a look at the problem right then and there. Interim boss managed to stammer out something about having to walk a fine line before asking why morale seemed so low. These people are clueless and I cant get out of here soon enough.

when he asked why morale was low did you answer "Because of conversations like this one"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
i pay my guys a monthly stipend for phone use and tell them that if they give their number to clients they're a loving idiot

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Thank you for doing the needful, totalnewbie-san

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
It seems your users have developed a malfunction. I would replace them immediately.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
and if you're got microsoft's ear and pile of cash support will still continue!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

m.hache posted:

De-provision yourself with an amazing severance package.

Doing yourself the needful.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Thats a gently caress up on my(vendor) end and theres no way I'd make a client pay for that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Swink posted:

My firm's plan is to standardise on Surfaces. I am hesitant because Win8 still isnt good enough for my inbred staff to deal with and I'm putting all my faith in Win 10 being awesome.

Yeah, this is my issue. Has anyone got a working task sequence for this that they could post the xml for. Edit - MDT task sequence.

You. Are. Screwed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Macrium Reflect Free

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
This will rend well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Specifically they want to know if you have student loans from college and are therefore desperate and can be easily hosed in both hiring and future salary negotiations since you can't afford to not have the job.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

Baseless speculation for $600.

Evil corporation :tinfoil: for $1000

Future/current employee financial status is actually a thing companies do try and track

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The ideal employee is someone who is good enough to get hired but not good enough to get hired away/find another job quickly, is married with kids but is the sole breadwinner, and has a college degree but loads of student debt.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Mrit posted:

How the company acted breaks so many 'this is how you run a business' rules, it's incredible. Congrats for getting out when you did.

What they did is practically management 101 now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the last thing anyone should suffer is your vapid opinions on race relations

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Never say something in e-mail you wouldn't be comfortable saying to your mother or hearing in court.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

It amazes me that there are places in 2015 where not paying people for doing work under the pretense of it being a "learning work experience in the field" is actually still legal.

Too many uneducated workers and not enough lawyers

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
he'll die cold, alone and penniless. lets not rehash all his failings again.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Anti-Virus software. We're switching from Symantec endpoint protection 12 to Kaspersky endpoint security select. Well, first of all, my boss let our SEP license expire before we had purchased licensing for Kaspersky. Then, he went on vacation right after finalizing the order with Kaspersky so the email with the licensing info sat in his inbox until he returned. Now that we've got that all sorted out...Kaspersky wont install because it detects SEP as still being installed on the workstations. Kaspersky removes SEP as part of its own installation process, SEP is gone from add/remove programs, windows bitches about no AV software being installed, but still, Kaspersky fails during install because it is still somehow seeing SEP installed.
I've manually removed SEP, uninstalled it using Symantec's own tools (it leaves behind several hundred registry keys and a 150mb directory on the HD, yep, manually deleted all that. Tried Revo uninstaller too), but still loving Kaspersky somehow detects in. So now I'm stuck in some weird kind of AV limbo where I cant fully remove the old one from rougly 250 workstations and cant install the new one. I'm not even sure who to call and bitch out at this point.

ESET's SmartInstaller gets hung up on pretty much just the mention of 'Norton' or 'Symantec' in the registry. Its the only real complaint I have about the product.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Gyshall posted:

ESET is so good you shouldn't even consider anything else.

This guy is right

full disclosure: we are an ESET partner

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

New schedule demand:

Monday, Thursday, Friday 1200-2000
Satuday, Sunday 0900-1700

Is it possible to get so angry that you leak blood from your ears?

be sure to thank your corporate overlords who obviously have your best interests in mind

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I am "speeding up" a 9 year old Compaq Presario V5000. :suicide:

"No."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
We have one client we provide 24/7 emergency support for and we(and their own management) make it abundantly clear to people what is and is not an emergency. Not paying attention and waking people up at 3am because one computer out of 6 has an error is going to get you yelled at by a bunch of people come daylight.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Stop answering your phones at that time

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did you just offer to pay my mortgage? Because I'm not sure that abandoning my job is a valid response.

your loss

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
also for the love of god please check your domain account holder records occasionally and make sure they are up to date because making a primary change request with literally none of the info being correct is kinda annoying

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

People who use anything but yyyy-mm-dd in file names and other IT systems will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

im sorry i already reserved that spot for MBAs but you're welcome to have them second

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
please get that article and copy it so we can make it the shsc background

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

Pointless. In four months I quit IT forever and go back to the magic and fun that is education.

running back into the fire with a gas can.png

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Gaming laptops have a well deserved reputation thanks to Alienware but there are some pretty nondescript models out there. Personally I'm at almost 3 years on a Sager and couldn't be happier. I would advise anyone purchasing one that you be comfortable enough to disassemble and cleans fans/heat sink periodically, especially if you own pets. A tube of NT-H1 and a can of compressed air go a long way towards longevity.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
People care more about form over function

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
special snowflakes melt just the same

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Money going to payroll is money not going to a new boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
he is a rock-star resource