Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mllaneza posted:

I think someone finally topped the 20 minutes I had to spend with someone explaining what a right-click was over the phone.

You're giving me flashbacks of my tier-1 ISP days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RadicalR posted:

What's the quote about having four bosses?

Something something cover sheet TPS reports?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

stuxracer posted:

When you said waistcoat I was thinking of like tying a Starter jacket around my waist with the sleeves like I did in elementary school. lol.

Glad I wasn't the only one! I was styling in that Starter jacket. 'Phins up. :smug:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Inspector_666 posted:

I am inches from smashing my laptop to pieces on the corner of a desk, so I can't really say I blame these people.

Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dick Trauma posted:

I went in this afternoon to get a head start on the coming week's tidal wave of tasks and my card didn't work at the garage gate. :confuoot:

Think its a simple glitch or sign of whats to come?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Technogeek posted:

Would you even need to say it if they already have, though? Both ends of the conversation are aware at that point that the call is being recorded, and it's hard to argue "but I didn't consent to it being recorded" when you've already said that you're recording the call.

I was actually wondering the legality of that today, actually. If one party states that the call may be recorded, does the other party have to state it too?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What if the icons are arranged by penis?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Motherfucker.

We have a couple laptop bags laying around. There's a couple just generic Targus and Dell bags. Crazy 70 year old owner asks for a bag to take his laptop home in over the weekend, so we give him one of the nicer Dell bags that's made out of fake leather or whatever.

Who comes stomping in the office this morning, cussing my helpdesk guy out, berating him for 'wasting money on this bag'? The owner. Meanwhile he is carrying this laptop in a loving WALMART PLASTIC BAG like it's a bunch of dirty diapers.

I'm confused. Are you saying he is senile and thought the help desk gave him a Wal-mart plastic bag to carry his laptop in? Or was he so disgusted by the fake leather Dell case that he prefers his light-weight Wal-mart bag.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

I think it helps that the Walmart bags are FREE

Nothing exudes class and professionalism like hauling around your crap like a hobo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sirotan posted:

They just shitcanned my coworker over high school-level drama that isn't even true. Our IT department is now me plus a contractor here 3 days a week. I'm pretty upset.

I guess now I'm surprised that I'm even still here after the whole desk debacle.

You know what to do.

:yotj:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ynglaur posted:

If all we all share the same email account, then no one will have any excuse for not knowing what's going on!

That is brilliant.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah that sounds awesome. I always hope for an evil boss/company to get their comeuppance and it almost never happens! Well except for that time Sickening got 10K for like 15 minutes work. That was a feel good story of the decade.

Do tell.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kyrosiris posted:

Make sure you have your decoder ring first. (there was some old 90s PC game that had a decoder ring for copy protection, wasn't there?)

BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I work in Clinical Informatics. Desktop support came by to drop off and connect my new Surface Pro 3 + docking station. Sweet.

Almost 5 hours later, they were still trying to get it working. There were two desktop support guys at my desk trying to figure out why they couldn't get anything to display on the two external monitors. They blamed it on drivers, firmware, docking station, faulty wiring etc... I stayed out of their way because I didn't want to be "that guy". Eventually they just gave up for the day and said they were going to do some "testing in their lab with the surface pro".

They left, I sat down and figured I'd try my hand at getting it working. Took a look behind the monitors, and surprise, they had the display cables plugged into the OUT port on both monitors. I plugged the cables into the correct port and VOILA, I have a fully functioning environment. I'm not a terribly bright guy but how do you not check the most basic of steps first?

I wasn't too pissed about not having my desk for 5 hours but I was pissed that they left everything a mess when they gave up for the day.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mewse posted:

On one hand that seems like a rookie mistake but I've also never seen monitors with a DVI out before

I haven't seen it before either. Its is a Dell monitor with two DisplayPorts, IN and OUT.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

4 10's is actually pretty great. For that to be over the weekend though, not so much.

Started working four 10s last week, with Fridays off. Got a three day work week this week due to 4th of July. :dance:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xzzy posted:

They just need to implement middle-out compression.

Got to figure out the D2F ratio first.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

devmd01 posted:

I started out my career driving around all over the place setting up new locations for a retail chain, there are days I wish I could go back to something like that. I got my poo poo done ahead of schedule, boss left me alone, and I got to do some cool poo poo occasionally where I was working.

Sadly with a wife, kid, and salary expectations that no field tech job can meet, that's just not feasible anymore.

Sever.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Got sucked into a 4 day Lean event that has nothing to do with technology. :suicide:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Inspector_666 posted:

The Citrix group should handle the entire change request then, why is this going through you at all?

At Initech, he takes the specs from the customers and he brings them down to the software engineers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If you're not using a Trackball mouse, you are objectively wrong.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm sure there are some stellar HR reps out there. I've yet to meet one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of desk adventures... At my new job, I don't really have an assigned desk. Due to space limitations, I'm essentially sitting at an open desk that other team members use when they are in the building. These team members have permanent desks in another building. I lost my spot twice today when I left for various meetings. Even better, both people that sat in my spot have been sick recently. Ok, no problem.

I went and chatted up a couple of sweet old ladies down the hall. Turns out they have a small office that has been vacant for a while and they offered it to me. I'm setting up shop in there and my team will have to pry me out.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 17, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

I used that same desk in my home office for like 3 years

Currently using it in my temporary housing! Can't beat the convenience for $40.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
New job. Everyone is friendly but this department is amateur hour. Management does not inspire confidence. Orientation has been a wet fart, no structure to anything so I've been just meandering along. An email just came from my boss stating I can't have an empty cubicle, and instead must desk-share in a cramped office. I am rapidly approaching "gently caress it" mode.

This is shaping up to be my shortest tenure at a job...

Dick Trauma posted:

My boss just walked by and said "YOU LOOK REALLY COZY BACK THERE."

I ignored him.

I would take your setup over this BS I'm dealing with.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

tactlessbastard posted:

I got a strange call last night from the former president of the company who hired me on at the place that just fired me.

He had heard what happened, was incredulous, promised to help me get another job, and then told me it's good I got out while their checks were still good because they're cooking the books lmao.

Blow that whistle! I think the IRS will hook you up with a percentage of whatever they recover.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

How many users does it take to insist the lightbulb is plugged in

Zero. According to the user, the lightbulb has always worked and has never been plugged in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's despicable. Joke about murdering your boss with a rusty fork in the open office floor like a good office worker, you heathens.

Why a fork, cousin? Why not an axe?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dick Trauma posted:

The person we hired to become the new COO is melting down over preparing to send everyone home. They've been in our industry for a long time but never in Operations, and still haven't accepted that we are a deeply dysfunctional company. They want everything to be like their old giant corporation right now, and that's not possible.

She's running me ragged with petty crap that only concerns her, so she'll fit right in with the rest of the VIPs.

You still tucked away in your corner office? If so, put up a fake wall and take a long nap.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

I think most companies might be a tad worried about needing to reduce their workforce than expand it due to economic conditions.

The rich powers that be don’t want to lose money during a recession. They would rather you be jobless.

I work in healthcare IT. I was at the tail end of negotiations for a new job in Colorado but they've had rapid developments there since last week, and I haven't heard back. Going to give it a few more days then write an email to see what's up.

Meanwhile, at my current job which is The Worst (TM), I'm packed in to a closet with 4 other people. The administration here is acting like they can't tell which way the wind is blowing, and it's business as usual.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just got the email from our CEO stating "all employees are essential employees", and operations continue as normal. gently caress off with that.

I went home early today because the alternative was to pack in with 3 other people in a small room, and one of the people hasn't been feeling well. Yep. My motivation for this team and position is quickly dwindling.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 17, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Looks like I'll be working 12 hours a day 7 days a week until this virus business is over. *distant shotgun racking*

Hourly I hope?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

Why did you offer to set up a website for a director's wife's personal business

Hey, it's not like he's raking up rocks with the IT Landscaping Crew (TM).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Why can't you guys send out and automated email when this happens, or have a status Twitter account, or anything except having me guess when she starts breaking over the weekend when I'm on call?

Monday, bossman is all, "Find out why our internet failover didn't work"

Because "the internet" still worked?

Reminds me of this classic. The website is down.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Related to office chat... I was furloughed back in April due to covid, then laid off in May. Finally landed a new gig in a new city and state. Currently full-time WFH which is nice but I personally miss having some of the social dynamics that an office brings, especially being on a new team and city and not knowing a soul. Rumor mill is that when things return to normal the office will go back to a 3/2 schedule. 3 days in the office one week, then 2 days in the office, then 3 days etc... I think that will be perfect for me.

I'm definitely thankful for landing this gig though. The job market is rough at the moment.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

cage-free egghead posted:

drat, just got let go today out of the blue. Was told it was because they were eliminating my position altogether (I was in a remote office). Get 2 months of severance and should be able to get unemployment too I hope but still, that was unexpected.

That sucks and I empathize. I got cut loose back in May but recently landed a new gig. Hang in there!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SlowBloke posted:

Also userside mute won't even be shown so it's the best passive-aggressive way to ignore someone without making a fuss

I'm brand new to a department and team, and I muted someone yesterday on a Teams call. I was a little curious if it would show that I muted them but ultimately I don't care. Double check that you're muted while on a conference call, poo poo isn't hard.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

Oh hey cool, they just cancelled the work from home schedule we've had for the past 7 months for "reasons".

So now instead of only 2 of us being together in our large office there'll be 5 of us in here now. Super awesome boss.

What pisses me off even more is he won't even tell us the real reason why, just some bullshit about holidays and coverage which, we're all off for those holidays anyways, us being at home would make no difference!

That sucks. At this point, I'll be looking for the door if my company tries to recall people back to the building before a vaccine is rolled out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's been two loving days and the only reply I've received for my SEV 1 ticket is, "what is your availability?" to which I responded, "24/7. This is the most critical application in our entire org."
I guess they're just leaning more towards the 7 rather than the 24.

24 days a month, 7 months a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Maigius posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: surprise $50 gift card from work. I think everyone got one, but still.

I work at a hospital. I got an $8 gift card to Chick Fil A.