Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Stealthgerbil posted:

gently caress scanners. I don't understand why this canon dr-2580c isn't showing up in the list of scanners in adobe. It is recognized as a scanner under devices. loving canon. I just plugged it into an identical machine with the same drivers (we move the scanner a lot) and it works fine. Did the usual uninstall drivers and software, etc too.

You may need to install the Twain plugin for Adobe, also if you're running a 64bit version of Photoshop I'm not sure it will display your scanners correctly. If you run the 32bit version it may work correctly.

All this information is off the top of my head from about a year ago so it may be wrong on all/most counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

thebigcow posted:

How is that supposed to work with a heatsink?

I'm feeling so old right now :(

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Are these management books an American thing? I've never heard people in my country discussing this stuff. But I may just be living under a rock.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

VLC lets me use the mouse wheel to turn the volume up to 200%. Media Player Classic lets me click anywhere on screen to pause or unpause video.

Why can't I just have both!? "Okay you want to watch that movie? Just let me set up WinAutoHotkey so we can both hear the quiet parts and pause on a moment's notice to discuss things."

I know that wireless keyboards are things that exist but i like just using a mouse or something like logitech touch mouse. I shouldn't have to bring more to the couch.

First world problems.

Use XBMC and an MCE Remote.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I just picked up a Barco Clickshare and this thing is awesome.

I imagine those dongles need drivers? How do they run if the user isn't a local admin? Does it present itself as a second monitor? Or another video card?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

I'm actually happy to report good things going on where I work. We're upgrading all the XP machines to 7, we're finally ready to deploy Active Directory and dump eDirectory(which means we get to push out printers finally), and we're getting SCCM. I guess the only bad thing is all the extra work, but it makes the day go by faster, and once everything is deployed we'll be sitting on the corpses of a bunch of pre-Optiplex 745 computers that I want to see repurposed instead of thrown on the surplus pile. We're also getting another person next year, after all the deployment though at the rate we're tearing through everything. Everything's coming up Yaos.

It's great being able to use AD, we already have it in one location and it's so much better than eDirectory. I can't wait to get SCCM so we can switch our anti-virus to Endpoint protection or whatever name Microsoft has decided to call it this month. I just have to hope McAfee does not decide to put out an update that bricks computers.

Something to bitch about though, eDirectory is a pile of crap and things keep breaking in it that we're not keen on fixing since we're so close to our AD deployment. Salvage files (shadow copy) suddenly stopped working for no reason. Reseting passwords is a pain, it requires remoting into the computer and getting into our admin account to change the local account password and also changing the eDirectory password. It also sucks that everybody has about 50 different jobs.

Funny story, our supervisor asked our top sys admin how much more AD would cost over eDirectory, turns out that Microsoft does not nickle and dime us like Novell does and we'll be saving $40,000 a year which will more than cover SCCM licensing. Want to push out printers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Wanna remote control computers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Are they included in the same package? According to the sys admin they are not. :mad:

Does anybody use 3rd party software the deploys 3rd party updates? Right now we have people on a variety of versions of different 3rd party software since we have no way to deploy 3rd party updates and we would like to keep everybody on the same version. SolarWinds looks good, but wondering if anybody has any experience with it or other software of it's kind.

SCCM Should probably cover deploying updates

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Hah. You know, I hadn't really thought about it like that...

Have you documented it yet? I mean, really documented it?
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Very,_Very_Well_Documented.aspx

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Pissing me off:

Waiting 9 months roughly now for a broadband connection. Many many flips and flops from Telstra lying about the status of orders/cancellations of orders and all sorts of other hoops I am going through.

Finally on the 29th of December I get word that a port is available and I will be connected in a few days.

fast forward to today and I call asking for the login details so I can prepare my modem for the grand event of finally having a fixed line connection..... Oh no the provisioning system has an error and the fulfillment date is set for the year 2028! Now they are saying there is no port, and there never was.

gently caress Telstra.

Why are you going with Telstra? there are a heap of alternatives that are all a better option.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

dogstile posted:

Lucky gits, since Christmas my workplace is surrounded by flooded roads and you have to either wade up or go down with a pretty drat strong current, depending on which way you want to come in. I haven't had a dry day for so long :smith:

Stay out of flood waters! If you get a cut you'll know about it.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Non-IT related but Yoplait yogurt is the thing that pisses me off.

Like that doorknob that shocks Peter Gibbons every morning when he comes in to work, peeling back the foil lid of a Yoplait container and having it spit out a few drops of yogurt onto my sleeve or pants every morning seems to be another tiny indignity I must face each morning.

Seriously, Yoplait. Is there some reason you have to package your yogurt slightly over-pressurized? I try to remember to peel off the lid starting with the far side so that the spitting of yogurt is pointed away from me, but what about the times when I'm engrossed in an email (or browsing these forums) and unthinkingly grab a yogurt from my lunch box? *spit* Right across my hand, shirt cuff and pants.

Edit: ...and apparently I am not alone in this thinking.

Any reason you can't use a pin/thumb tack to pierce the lid before you open it?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

TKovacs2 posted:

You didn't use caps there. It should have read THE GODDAMN WORST.

I didn't want to upgrade from 2010 to 2012, but noooooooo, our hardware vendor said that it would fix the problem we were having.

gently caress me.

Here's the latest BackupExec cock-up I found.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Those are the mcafee management tools.

Wait, is he saying that the US Military uses McAfee?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
The problem my country has with jury duty is that you get paid nothing. Everyone avoids it if they can because they need to pay rent/mortgages/eat it's pretty easy to get out of if you're employed. However this just leaves unemployed people and the elderly to be jurors. IMHO Jury duty should be well paid, and getting jury duty should be like winning the lottery. Everyone would be pumped for it because they're getting extra cash.

It would never work, but I like to imagine it would.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

In my experience in the US your employer is required to pay you your normal rate every day you are required to serve. When the courts cut you a check for service you are required to hand it over to your employer, however - it's not a bonus you get to keep. I've never had an issue with an employer paying me or begrudging me the time spent on jury duty.

Some companies over here will do this, but otherwise its something like $20 a day plus a taxi ride and sometimes a lunch allowance. These payments are made via cheque weeks after the fact. So not only are you out of money for the time you're in the jury you have to visit the god drat bank to deposit a cheque like a savage.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

incoherent posted:

Doooooooo yooooooouuuuuuuuu have an odd situation where one person cannot login to a muti-user file if it's already open, but if they open it first and another person opens the file, it works magically?

This is almost certainly a firewall issue. Make sure all the networks are set to "Work" and someone isn't rocking "Public"

Try downloading and running this application:
http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12723

The ports Quickbooks uses change all the time and various countries versions use different ports.
The first person to open the file becomes the host, so if one person has a firewall configured and blocking Quickbooks others will not be able to open it.

If they have a file server you can install the Quickbooks "Server" on the server and have that host the database (providing you open up the firewall on the server). This is usually the best way to do this if you have the option. If you go down that path you're going to need to make sure you grant full access to the quickbooks database file/directory on the shared drive to QBDataServiceUserXX that Quickbooks creates on the server.

I loving hate Quickbooks.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Fenrisulfr posted:

We're just finishing the upgrade from XP to 7, our servers are a mix of 2003 and 2008 R2. Last week my coworker did up a new image for a new hire's computer and blanket-approved all of the Windows updates from Microsoft because he couldn't get it to talk to our WSUS. Today he calls me because he can't get the computer connected to the Internet as it's not taking the proxy settings from GPO. Some Googling and a healthy dose of stupefied disbelief later I have him downgrade from IE 10 to 9 and all is well because apparently IE 10 is a special snowflake that's too good for our plebeian Windows 7-managed GPOs. What the gently caress, Microsoft?

Sounds like you might need these:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=37009

and perhaps these:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=6243

frogbert fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 4, 2014

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Sir_Substance posted:

Not a bad idea. It's not something I'd really heard of or considered until now, but apparently they're available here. Might be a buy for next summer.

Just remember that electricity is way more expensive here in Australia so it could end up costing you a bunch. (I have no idea how much electricity they burn through)

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Lum posted:

Since this thread is about stuff that pisses you off, in a forum for both hardware and software, not specifically enterprise IT. I want to rant about this thing:

Ordinarily it's a decent bit of kit, it cost me £50 and has saved me a lot more than that in gas bills. It's hysterisis algorithims are a little questionable, but not so bad that I feel the need to spent money on a replacement.

I've taken it with me to several rented places because landlords who don't have to pay gas bills don't give a poo poo about thermostats, energy effiency or convenience. It's two little AA batteries have given me years of service, and it has a handly little indicator to tell you that the batteries are getting low and need replacing.

Unfortunately, about a month before that indicator lights up, the batteries have reached a point where they don't have enough charge to throw the relay any more, leaving the heating jammed permanantly on.

Wasted a lot of time trying to find out if Drayton would sell me a new relay, or a new mainboard; then when taking it apart to faff with the relay myself, I lost the battery and put a new one in, suddenly I hear the click of its relay, problem solved.

Guess I should have tried that first, but I kinda expected that if it has a low battery indicator that this would actually work. Stupid I know.
Realtalk here Lum: Your stuff is constantly breaking, are you sure you're not cursed?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Wouldn't you be using DBAN anyway, just so that some slub picking it out of the trash doesn't get all of your company info?

This is how all of our old hardware ends up:

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Sounds to me like your power supply blew up and took your video card along with it.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

antisodachrist posted:

Things pissing me off today. I get a text message from a coworker saying another coworker quit last night.

He sent an email to our boss last night and dropped off his laptop, badge, and test phones. So now we are down an airwatch tech. That means more tickets being assigned to me for a platform that I am only somewhat familiar with.

No idea why he quit other than being really frustrated, but we all are. We get assigned project work, but are expected to keep working tickets. Might by time to yotj for me soon. I have been looking to leave the east coast, or at least this city for a while.

You should ask him, he might know something you don't. Also the place he is going might be hiring.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
The question I would put to them Dick, is:
"Is there any situation, in 2015, where you think screaming and swearing at a coworker is justified?" If they honestly try to defend that one you're just going to have to leave.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Thanks for the input. I really like my job now, honestly, the increased money is nice, but I really don't need it. I only started this path because I thought I was going to be let go, but since they're assured me I'm not losing my job (they got rid of a few people, but that was three weeks ago and there's been no more restructuring).

Still do the Interview dude. If you get an offer you can always leverage that into a raise.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Woah, that's not the contact employment I've had. Here the contract is for a fixed length of time. If they end it early they're paying you out, because that was the deal. Otherwise why would you take a contract?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Spazz posted:

We're decommissioning our SMTP relay, which is not my department/issue, but I was contacted by a colleague who needed help updating a box that was still sending mail through the old relay. It's a legacy Server 2003R2 box that is running some old ASP frontpage sites. I say "Sure, I can do this. I'll just update the SMTP setting in IIS."

:negative:

The box is completely undocumented. The original system owners have long left the company, department, or refuse to acknowledge they ever had anything to do with it. Everything is hard coded. Everything is hard coded. Ok, I can work with this. I find the main wwwroot (which is split among 3 drives) and there are dozens of sites in this system.

I can still make this work... I just need to find the old SMTP relay hostname in these files but, alas, no PowerShell. I didn't want to install WMF and risk breaking some unknown dependency, so I had to use Windows CMD not unlike a caveman before discovering fire. How many occurrences were there you may ask? 192.

Anyway, I just got done fixing and testing each of these web forms. I'm going to go crack open that bottle of Lagavulin 16 I bought a few months ago and ponder my career path.

Man at that point I'd be very tempted to just modify the host file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
A lot of the businesses that I've helped through cryptowall variants have claimed my costs and other miscellaneous associated costs through their business insurance under their Blackmail/Extortion clauses. All that was needed by the insurance company was a police report and invoices.