Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So I was reviewing the web proxy policies today to upgrade from GFI Webmonitor 2012 to 2013. I need to find the ticket for whoever the hell put the first two allow entries in:

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Just spent two days figuring out how much a customer's enterpise agreement will cost so we can sell it to them(who have been putting all license purchases on hold for the last 8 months because "We're buying EA any day now so dont buy that license!"

Downloading MAPT now, thank you for saving my sanity

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Ooh I got a new one:

The Merchant

Beyond a specific job title, a vocation takes on its own greater personality. This personality preference can give a broader understanding of the basic complementary style and types necessary to the kingdom's survival, and perhaps to any modern organization's success.

Although the specific vocations influenced the names, it was no accident that certain personality types and styles gravitated to certain occupations. The personality of these jobs suited the inclinations of the job holders, and the predecessor to modern day job descriptions was born. The successful matching of a job-holder's personality to the personality and unique requirements of the job was necessary for a kingdom to thrive, just as it's necessary to an organization's success today. The most successful groups are able to blend the differences into a powerful and productive entity.

Even though people now have the freedom to explore many different career alternative, there is still a medieval vocational personality within everyone. This personality, properly identified and understood, can motivate success, encourage job satisfaction and promote contentment in the workplace.

Your distinct personality, The Merchant, might be found in most of the thriving kingdoms of the time.
Your overriding goal is to always be competitive, for Merchants are the deal makers.

Every situation is realistically analyzed for its profit potential. A well executed deal, even one that is profitable for all participants, can be its own reward for many Merchants.

On the positive side you can be logically practical, rational and realistic.
On the negative side you may be rigidly dogmatic as well as unmerciful and precipitous. Interestingly, your preference is just as applicable in today's corporate kingdoms.

Edit: gently caress the guy behind me says that this is me all over. The HR people are onto something!

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Yeah I've always understood that to be an awful idea. Even in places that don't fly off the handle like that, if you don't get that job and they think you're important to how things run, they could be hiring your replacement and showing you the door before you've found something else. All the due diligence you need to give is to work your notice period as its written in your contract.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Never ever ever tell your current employer that you are looking at new jobs. Even if you like your boss and the company and they like you once they know you are looking attitudes start to change. Even if they don't outright start looking for a replacement they might think you'll get short timers syndrome and start slacking off or not considering you for raises or promotions since you're on your way out.

Last place I left tried to say I should've talked to them about leaving and that they would have tried "to work something out". When I told them I was leaving for an extra $15k they said they would have never been able to match that, they also couldnt promise any promotions or job title changes or any change in the type of work. Talk is cheap basically.

Had exactly the same in an exit interview two jobs previous. Handed my notice in and got called into a meeting a few hours later with my boss and my bosses boss. I was leaving because I'd been promoted from 2nd line to 3rd line and was awaiting my payrise (there was new CEO's and buyouts and restructures and poo poo so I waited it out, they came back with that they are generously giving me a payrise from £24,000 to £24,400 per annum. So I said gently caress this and got a job where i got a deserved wage for the role)

In the exit interview:

Bosses boss: "We're keen to keep you Ahdinko, why are you leaving and what would it take for you to stay?"
Me: "the payrise was unjust and I feel I need more for the role, and that is my only reason for leaving."
Bosses boss: "Ok no problem, I wish you had told us before as the board pay review meetings are only monthly and your notice is 4 weeks time, but we'll see if we can rush this through for the next one and see what we can do. What figure are you looking at?"
Me: "If it starts with a £3xxxx, I'll consider staying"
Bosses Boss: "Uh, well Ahdinko, its been a pleasure working with you" *shakes hand*

After they lost 7 or 8 of the team of 15 in a 5 month period from poo poo like that, they gave the rest a 50% payrise to get them to stay.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 4, 2015

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Exit Strategy posted:

So my brain has three thoughts about being told 'if you don't like it you can just quit, whiner who costs too much anyway".

1) :yotj:

2) :yotj: and set the kitchen on fire accidentally on the way out.

3) :yotj: and steal my really nice Steelcase Criterion chair.

I think I'm going with 3.

Excellent username and post combo. 3 is also the best option

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I dunno I'm still liking RDP over most other things. Especially in this MSP environment where its 250+ servers over 10+ customers and half of the windows management tools wont work without DNS and DNS over VPN's (in the way we have them setup) is a bit of a pain in the dick. Also windows management tools managing different versions often sucks, a good example being Hyper-V manager on a Win7 or 2008 machine which can do just about fuckall with a 2012 Hyper-V server

I just have RDC Manager with all the servers organised by customer, its pretty easy just double clicking a server and doing a thing on it. Also yeah it's just habit

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 21, 2015

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

flosofl posted:

Why are you using a GUI to configure network gear?

CLI Supremacy :black101:

Seriously, the CLI in FortiOS is pretty easy to work with.

Counterpoint: I've learnt Cisco IOS using CLI for years and loved it, then I discovered ASDM. All hail the one true network configuration GUI

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
It is great for large rulesets, and the built in packet trace tool is amazing for figuring out "now what line in what ACL/NAT rule/inspection policy/route-map/etc will allow/deny this packet?" rather than reading through a thousand lines of config until you find the one.
That and being able to sit there looking at the real time log viewer, filter it all out real easy and straight away just see an error message like "this packet was blocked due to this acl" or "you got your phase 1 crypto keys wrong you retard"

I know the CLI but I've got comfortable enough with the GUI that I turn off the CLI commands pop up and just let it do its thing.

Its honestly actually a really good tool. I still use CLI for routers and switches, but only because ASDM doesn't support them :(

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 25, 2015

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
If a 9ms delay is all you're getting, personally I wouldn't even bother calling them.
Some ISP's do have a latency guarantee to their core though, especially on leased lines so check out your agreement

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

stevewm posted:

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/acquisitions/dyn/index.html

Well...... gently caress....

We utilize their DNS based filtering services. I expect the price to increase 5000x next month. :(

And licensing to move to per core.
10 cores minimum per user.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Some people are afraid that automation will take their jobs.

Since they are trying to stop change, they are usually right.

I literally automated myself out of a job a few jobs ago. Joined a 300 person insurance company as a systems admin responsible for the network and some windows stuff. Stuff fell apart on a regular basis and all of their checks were slow and very manual.
I spent 6 months ripping apart and rebuilding the network, half the server infrastructure and a decent monitoring system. I reduced my workload from a full days work down to around 45 minutes a day of work on average, and 7 hours of browsing the internet and watching the occasional CBT Nuggets video. That lasted 5 months before I reached the point where I was so bored that I could not take it anymore and got a new job.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 14, 2017

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

stevewm posted:

I don't want to see or hear anything more about credit cards, ever again...

For the past week, been working on converting our retail stores over to a new credit card platform so we can accept EMV, contactless, etc.. We have been burned several times due to the liability shift, so it was made priority to make the switch ASAP.

Some issues have cropped up at our test store. So I've spent several days running register and ringing customers out so I can see the issues myself that were coming up and figure out how to solve them or report them to the developer. Its been "fun". What has surprised me (though it shouldn't have I guess) is how many times problems are the fault of the customer. A huge amount of people simply don't know how to handle EMV cards yet. I thought our new system was simple... Put the card in, pick debit or credit when asked, enter PIN# or sign when prompted. Remove card when prompted. About every other customer gets a look of dread on their face when you tell them they have to insert their card.

A few seem to have an irrational fear of EMV cards. Had more than one customer pay with cash when they realized they had to use their chip.

People are strange....

Is this in the US I take it? When I went there last year, in Hawaii I paid for a Starbucks with contactless payment. The guy working the till looked all confused and said "Wait... did you just.... pay?" and I had to explain it to him when the receipt spat out that yes this is infact how you can buy poo poo. Its weird how all the infrastructure is there and they can take the payments but apparently nobody ever, ever does. A coffee shop is the perfect low value quick turnaround thing where you want a contactless payment.

Thanks Ants posted:

Contactless payment in a pub is dangerous, let me tell you

Mine seems to have some kind of built in alcohol meter safety thing or something. When i get to 10ish payments in a day, the contactless stops working and forces you to chip and pin once before contactless comes back to life again, which conveniently makes you stop and try to remember your PIN when you are somewhere around "im totally pissed" and can save you from reaching "absolutely poo poo-tittered, why is all this kebab down my shirt"

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 8, 2017

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

DigitalMocking posted:

PRTG.

gently caress solarwinds.

Seconding PRTG all day. Best monitoring software I've used (and I have used several solarwinds products).

Plus their sales guys are not awful, and their support are all super efficient helpful German guys.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 18, 2017

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Weeee its happening again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40416611

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

xzzy posted:

Seems like there's a lot of money to be made by someone that authors some kind of monitor that looks for files being modified serially and hitting a "kill all network interfaces and set local storage read only" panic button. I assume these ransomware apps go after a fairly predictable list of paths so the real challenge becomes not triggering false positives.

Though now that I think about it no one takes this poo poo seriously until they get nailed so I'm guessing you'd be a developer with a great idea and no customers.

CrowdStrike is probably a good shout for that, it detects stuff on a behaviour basis, and can isolate a machine using an agent installed on each endpoint. I haven't used it but had a demo of it at an Infosec exhibition a few weeks ago, according to virustotal they were the first to have definitions for it as well:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/027cc450ef5f8c5f653329641ec1fed91f694e0d229928963b30f6b0d7d3a745/analysis/

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I was under the impression, I think from people in these very threads, that PRTG was not so great at resource management of itself, meaning once it got above a couple hundred sensors it was really slow to update etc. Is that not the case, or have they since fixed any performance issues?

I have no direct experience with it, so just inquiring since it seemed to be a really good solution the last time the whole monitoring debate came up, but then a couple people chimed in to say that it was great for 500 sensors or fewer and not so great above that.

We're running PRTG in an MSP environment, 2 core servers, 39 probes (one probe for each customer as the probe server sits inside their environment. We stick the probe on their "management" box with all the other crap on there) and 6000 sensors with 26000 channels. Based on our intervals which are pretty drat fast for most things, it said it did 8.1 million checks yesterday. If you're looking at the page with every single device on it'll take 10-15 seconds to load, but if you're drilling down into 1 device or customer, its fast.

I am a lover of PRTG.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Proteus Jones posted:

Nah, I'm the same way. I always end up looking them up.

I have a colleague who has more or less memorized the entire 802.11 spec + amendments. So he'll reference 802.11-r in an email with little contextual clues. So then I have to look that poo poo up only find out it's just Fast Roaming.

"Why the gently caress didn't you say Fast Roaming?" and then, since I found it out during my quest for info, I'll add, "And incidentally it's been rolled up into 802.11-2012". Because if you're going to pull that on me, I'm clawing back points one nitpick at a time.

He's really a cool guy and we're friends outside of work, so most of the time he does it to get a rise out of me.

I think thats just a "people who do wireless" thing, the more I do wireless, the more I memorise just through seeing it on the screen. Alot of the kit I work with (Cisco) doesn't call it "fast roaming" and all that, its just "802.11v/r/k enable". Now I know 802.11a, b, g, n, ac, k, r, v, w and probably some others I'm forgetting

Edit: Except 802.11r actually. They call that FT just to keep you on your toes.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 21, 2017

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Customer logs P1, helpdesk escalate it straight to me because its a P1 with the subject: "SAN DOWN"

So I call the customer up and sure enough, his entire onsite VMWare infrastructure (Every single server they have, is a VM on this SAN) is down. I ask him if there are any particular lights on the SAN or any information to help. He kindly mentions he was upgrading the SANs firmware in the middle of the day while everyone is working. And while he was upgrading it, he thought it would be a good idea to do a UPS test at the same time. Get all the maintenance out of the way at once right? Well once the UPS alarmed to the SAN that it was low on juice, the SAN shut itself down mid upgrade.

I dont know how some people can get a job where they have the power to do this.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 8, 2018

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Paladine_PSoT posted:

From my repair bench days, the absolute worst machines to work on were machines from people who smoked indoors. When you cracked open the side and got that blast of mundungal miasma wafting up from the case it was enough to make me, a smoker at the time, retch uncontrollably.

I used to be a hardware tech in an apple service centre, one day some old guy brings in his macbook that wont start anymore. He takes it out the case and hands me it and i get a heavy waft of smoke. I strip it down and this thing is absolutely filled with ash and tar. Motherboard completely hosed, fans could barely spin from all the crap in there and it probably cooked itself to death. Almost every single part had a layer of sticky brown tar on it. I had to wear gloves just to stand touching it.

I told the customer it wasnt covered by his warranty, he said smoking cigars all day over his macbook shouldnt be a problem, and kicked up enough of a stink with apple customer services that they actually authorised a free of charge repair too.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

dogstile posted:

You joke, but I can't wait for the day when I can walk into my house, dump my electronics onto my desk and have it just charge.

We can't be that far off.

It already exists, I have a coffee table with a wireless charger built in under the glass surface, there's an area of the table about 1/6th of the total surface of it where I can just drop my phone on and it charges up. I guess they've just got to make one that spans the whole table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

spog posted:

Just drop it on your $40 Ikea lamp base

My phone doesn't support it (Moto G5) so I been considering one of those aliexpress cases that add it - anyone used one?

Before I had my Samsung S8, I tried it on my HTC One M8 with one of those little wireless QI slips that plugs into your phones charger port and sits between the phone and your case. It worked but it was slow as hell (like 8 hours from almost empty to full). I think you really need a phone & charger that natively supports wireless fast charge. My S8 does that and it will go from empty to full in about 2.5 hours.