Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

tactlessbastard posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IT DID IT AGAIN

Do you have a Lenovo with a dock? I bluescreen every once in a while when I’m docked. Never when I’m not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Wibla posted:

I'm about ready to take my Lenovo P52 to the firing range to shoot it full of holes (after removing the battery first, of course :v: )
Their thunderbolt "workstation" dock is the biggest pile of poo poo I've used. Ever. Bluescreens randomly almost every day.

Throw this idiot under the bus.

Do it. I shot my old Dell a few years ago after it started giving me problems. Felt super good.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

wolrah posted:

When I was a kid and saw this scene on Futurama I thought it was just a joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoRoaNVho54

There's even one of those single purpose web sites about this: https://dontasktoask.com/

I had to attend a 30 minute meeting today that was about the meeting we will be having next week. It wasn’t like a planning thing or anything. It was just a meeting to tell us about what we are going to talk about next week. I feel like an agenda could have accomplished that.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

Every other day, with an old-style safety razor. The mach3000s and Harry's and other razors of the world suck for head shaving. Safety razors don't clog and have the added bonus of being cheap as gently caress for replacement blades.

I use the Costco version of the Mach 3. Works great. Made the mistake of not shaving for a couple weeks when all the lock downs started so when I shaved as prep for a video meeting I cut the hell out of the back of my head. Then it was sunny and I went and played with my daughter outside for a couple hours and burned my scalp. 10+ years shaving my head and you'd think I would remember Sun screen.

poo poo that is pissing me off is having to train a non-technical person on how to do junior DBA type crap on top of all my other normal duties because 4/5ths of the team (excluding the new guy) don't actually do work. I'm not sure what they do day to day but it doesn't seem to be any of our tickets or projects.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I had to escalate a ticket to another team due to not having access to the code base for a piece of software that has a bug and is writing incorrect info to the database that I support. The developers with access managed to bounce the ticket around and sit on it long enough (about 6 months) that the store literally burned down. They sent it back today because the server the software and database sit on is offline.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Related: ever run into a esoteric problem, start googling for answers, find an article/post/whatever, think “holy poo poo this guy really gets it! This is perfect!”

...and then realize that you wrote it years ago?

I have.

I had one a few months ago where someone asked a question and then commented every once in a while for about a year asking again and then posted the answer himself.

Thankfully his solution worked for me too. I don't even remember what the issue was but it was some dumb error with SSMS.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I had to do the personality test with the colors. A literal quote from the report was "He doesn't suffer fools gladly", which they thought was funny. Then my manager found out the hard way in my probation period that it was actually true and I was promptly let go. :shrug:

I had to do one for an interview but I don't remember what my color was.It was at a credit union that apparently made all their customers do it too. I just knew I wasn't going to be working there before they busted it out so I just have bullshit answers. The technical interview was a joke where they kept asking me questions like "how would you clean up data for a report?" And I would tell them a way but then would get a "well that won't work with our data. How else would you do it?" After 3 or 4 back and forths I finally told the interviewer, who would have been my boss, that without actually seeing data or them telling me the requirements I couldn't give her another answer.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

2.0.7 or 2.1.6. Which version number do you think is newer?

We had a release go out and I asked why we were downgrading because we were sending out 2.0.7. Apparently I’m an idiot though and that is newer than 2.1.6 because the middle number “is only incremented for bug fixes and resets to 0 on a new release.” I didn’t even have a response. Maybe I’m sheltered or something but I’ve never seen versioning like that.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I’m not sure at all where the Major.Fix.Minor came from but as a result of the call starting with the next major release it will go back to the normal Major.Minor.Fix. I’m pretty sure we were using that format before and for some reason this guy just decided to change it. I wasn’t the my one confused by it, even this guys VP was, which is probably why it is being changed to normal so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

Good luck explaining the version numbering to customers when it switches back

Customers are all internal so it shouldn’t be too bad. Just going to be a giant pain if we ever have to back through releases and try and remember why numbering bounced around for a while.