Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
poo poo that pisses me off: the other day I got an offer from an engineering team (internally) for a job that would require ~2 weeks of on-call/month, (currently I do 0) would be much more challenging than my current job, would require working with new (and therefore often poorly documented) technology, and... would come with a pay cut and require me to finance my move to a new city out of pocket.

Spent 3 weeks in the interview process including a relatively complex "homework" project. Attempted to negotiate more than once for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Alereon posted:

Why do you care about the accuracy of the price they claimed to pay for lunch? Why did they tell you how much they spent on lunch? Unless they're filing a false expense report for reimbursement it sounds like they were just trying to make conversation and it doesn't really hurt to indulge them.

I would recommend the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" to everyone. The 1936 version is available for free online, if you aren't able to tell which parts are outdated (particularly those about gender roles in the workplace), you should probably just buy the updated version.

But he was wrong!!!!!!!

In seriousness, I can see where MC Fruit Stripe is coming from, though I respond to people like that by taking great pleasure in talking with people who are full of poo poo, and don't yet know that I know they are full of poo poo. Just turn the conversation into a game.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty baffled as to where they would go to spend that kind of money on that little amount of food. I just went to Erik's Deli, which isn't the cheapest place for a sandwich and only paid about $7.50 for a sandwich (I don't drink soda and Chips/Cookie are a shitload of unneccesary calories. Even with those I'd imagine it'd be under :10bux:). This is in the Bay Area.

Bay area deli chat: Deli Board is the greatest place that exists. However, the sandwiches are like $14. Even then, soup, sandwich, and drink would not be more than $20.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Whizbang posted:

They went out of their way to be obvious, how could anyone think it's not?

You probably believe that there are secret messages from the illuminati on currency, too.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Sir_Substance posted:

Considering the ongoing torrent of disturbing stuff we've been finding out about the NSA, that comment makes you look like you've got your head stuck pretty far in the sand dude.

Guys I found the secret message, Sir_Substance is trying to tell us he's a fed and to not listen to him.

See, I can bold things and make it look like an encoded message too.

Also how can you not see that the non-stop flood of documents that the NSA wanted to keep a secret supports my position, and not yours? People cannot keep secrets.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

This is basically several hundred words of excuses as to why you have no spine.

If the CIO is your effective boss, then he or she is the person to talk to about the fact that you're overloaded.

If you are able to (by their perception) handle all 3 jobs, why the gently caress would they hire somebody else? You're saving them upwards of $100,000 and you're not even complaining about it. You're practically a gold mine.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Daylen Drazzi posted:

He's already said that the team members feel that he didn't deserve the position and have no incentive to listen to him. What else (and I'm seriously curious to know since I'm not a manager) can you do in that situation that doesn't have you appearing to be a doormat or petty, power-tripping dictator from the first day?

How does bringing a pre-signed write-up slip and waving it at people not make you look like a petty, power-tripping dictator?

That's the absolute epitome of "If you don't listen to me, you'll get in trouble!"

If that's the only reason your subordinates are listening to you, you're already screwed.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How petulant would I be if I declared that all VMs in all environments now go through me? You come to me with the VM you want to create, you describe it, and I will tell you what specs to give it. That way I can stop seeing full datastores and WSUS boxes with 16GB of memory. I've been waiting for people to learn but my god they're just not going to.

If you understand that it will mean extra work for you in the short term, and you can actually pull it off, I'd say go for it.

I currently dream of a world where software engineers don't have root on prod, so I feel your pain.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Your job just sounds super.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

SamDabbers posted:

Don't some of the higher end Avaya desk phones have built-in VPN capability? Still a bad idea, but at least in theory the user should be able to just plug it in. The audio path will probably suck though.

I worked from home sometimes at $job-1 with an avaya 9560 using the built-in VPN client and taking phone calls all day - it worked well enough.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you haven't broken a keyboard over your knee I don't really want to know you.

I prefer the "smash it with my fist until my hand hurts" move.

I mostly save my irrational fury for being mad at video games, though. I don't have enough fucks to give about work to get mad.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

We fired a guy for throwing a keyboard at the wall. He had a couple other anger issues prior, and we thought he was going to come back and shoot the place up.

I dunno, I think people that vent anger by breaking poo poo aren't the ones to worry about, since they feel better after breaking poo poo. The people with no outlet are the concerning ones.

That said, I'm not a child, so I can control my temper at work and have never had even a minor issue.

Just don't invite me over to play call of duty and lend me a controller.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
poo poo that pisses me off:

software engineers who want things but think their time is too valuable to actually convey literally any of the required information. (all of them)

:smug: I need a new thrift cluster
:smith: okay. how many hosts do you need? what serversets? do you have a puppet group in mind or do I have to create one? did you set up monitoring? what other services does it need to talk to? what services does it need to talk to it? what size hosts? Why didn't you read the docs on launching a new service?
:smug: I need this by tomorrow it's affecting production!!!
:smith: : :smithicide:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
It's important to note that if you treat that as "I am here 9-5, no matter what" you are useless to this industry and are causing everyone around you more work.

You should be averaging 40 hours a week over the course of <period of time>.

If one week everything is bullshit and you're in the office for 70 hours, that's okay, sometimes working in a 24/7 environment sucks. But if you don't get some additional time off or go home early pretty much every day for the next couple of weeks, you're getting hosed.

I have ~unlimited vacation~ and I am fine with long work weeks in exchange for taking 5-8 weeks of vacation throughout the year.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Hardcoding IPs is pretty bad for internet facing things. If you have to fail over to another site, you have to either teach everyone to reconfigure their client, or actually reroute the IP to a new physical site. If you have a traffic manager with sane health checking, it just automatically starts responding with the IP of the backup site.

DNS is for humans, use it for humans. For machine to machine, uses IPs.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Pissing me off: I have to start job hunting because I got the "I don't see a successful path forward for you on this team" talk because my new boss is replacing everyone on the team with his cronies.

Gonna miss out on some sweet equity, too.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone get laid off by Rackspace today?

Two people in my BU got let go, but one of them consistently annoyed me by being a helpless gently caress who asks questions that have visible answers within ~30 lines of scrollback in Slack, so I'm not nearly as bummed about the layoffs as I maybe ought to be.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Roargasm posted:

IT is now moderating our company Slack for content. gently caress off yall

:laffo:

Where do you work that people "need" to have a babysitter? Is it an elementary school, and the users are actual 7-year-olds?

Please say yes.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Coredump posted:

For what's pissing me off. We're a small team that works remote. We have a weekly call on Fridays that goes for an hour for everyone to update everyone else on what happening in their corner of the company. I've been tasked with updating the weekly agenda sheet to try and summarize what everyone says. The big boss says they want it more accurate. I say on the phone call, "ok everyone to make this happen please email me a summary of the section you go over on the call so I can add it to the agenda". Boss didn't like that idea because they don't want the excuse of waiting on someone to email their section to me to hold up updating the agenda.

I explain that since I've taken over the agenda its gone from a two page document to 8 pages as I try to keep up with what everyone is saying. If we're wanting to make sure the document is more accurate and not worry about everyone emailing me a summary of what they spoke about then I'm going to need to record the calls. They didn't like that idea either for reasons not said. But I'm struggling to think of a way to be able to listen to 5 minutes of someone speaking and be able to summarize what they say and keep it accurate without losing a detail.

5 minutes of speech can generate 3/4 of a page of words. The context of a point that someone is making can change quite a bit towards the end of what they say its hard for me to keep that in my head and summarize it without losing detail. I'm not sure what to do here.

If people won't email you a summary, and you're not allowed to record what they're saying, just take lovely notes.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Allow me to do an impression of literally all software engineers:

quote:

Fact 1: I recently made a change to how the application interacts with a particular database
Fact 2: At the exact moment that I deployed my change, latency skyrocketed
Fact 3: Tracing shows that the latency is caused entirely by time spent waiting on that same database
Fact 4: The volume of queries to that database have increased 500% since I made my change
Fact 5: When I revert my deploy, latency returns to normal
Conclusion: @sre-team, the database is having problems, please fix them immediately, this is blocking deploys!!!!!!

loving kill me

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

devmd01 posted:

This is spot on. When incidents come in to our infrastructure team that aren’t an obvious fix, more often than not we have to prove that no, it isn’t the network or whatever, gently caress off.

Hey devmd01, one time 4 years ago you mentioned that you were upgrading the version of java on a completely unrelated tier of machines, do you think that is causing my problem?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

xzzy posted:

My latest engineer forehead smack has been git pulls getting closed on the build servers by the remote. A remote server that is well known to be oversubscribed.

CLEARLY it's a problem on the build server.

Oh, I have one of those too!

Our terrible deploy slackbot will spit out an error like "Connection to github timed out" into the channel, and the result will be people complaining that the bot is broken. I don't even bother arguing anymore because deleting the pod and letting kubernetes make a new bot is easier. "ok, I restarted it, try again".

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:agreed: plus others brought up the same points - companies often can (and do) get rid of employees for the company's benefit, many times without giving any sort of notice or severance. They don't care about Joe Helpdesk at the bottom of the ladder, they care about making C-levels happy so they can get their sweet bonuses each quarter/year. This is especially prevalent in at-will employment states where they can get rid of someone for any/no reason at all. It's why I always laugh at people who talk about company loyalty, because if it's not gonna go both ways, they can eat a dick.

Getting permanently laid off 3 weeks after receiving a "strong" (basically on a scale from 1-5, 3 is "meets expectations", I got a 4) from a profitable and growing business unit really drove home how much I will never feel bad about bailing on a job with little or no notice. Companies cannot be loyal to their employees, and as such there is no reason to be loyal to a company.

PS don't work at Rackspace.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 31, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

xzzy posted:

My 'out' for situations like that is puppet.

If nothing for your server changed in puppet then nothing on your server changed either, so :fuckoff: and go fix your bad code.

read-only root file systems: :getin:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

porkface posted:

I have a bank telling us we need to prevent pasting passwords, or they can't purchase our software (which would make them significantly more secure across the board). I've asked for their security team to discuss the requirement with our security team, and so far the project manager is telling me that's not possible.

Just posting this for 3 months from now when they either drop the requirement, or we get the meeting and then they drop the requirement.

So they basically want to prevent people from using password databases? What I am hearing is that they want all passwords to be TotesP@sswordApr2019 soon followed by TotesP@sswordJul2019.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

awox posted:

This week is off to a great start, last year we built a SOAP webservice to allow third-parties to request long-lived authentication tokens for some of our services, when we initially shared this with another company we notified them that the tokens would be valid for at least 31 days and that they should store these and re-use them.

Instead they decided to request a new token for every single request, which caused some issues on side. So i brought this up and we got into a conference call with them.

They requested us to change the lifetime of the tokens to 60 seconds because their own developers are unable to store these tokens for whatever reason :smithicide:

Tell them you have to implement throttling to prevent any one user from degrading the service, and remind them of how long the tokens are valid for.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

Can you huff WD40? If so I've got some cans of liquid gold laying around

you can huff anything if you believe in yourself

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
pissing me off: having to wear headphones literally all day because nobody in this office has an inside voice and open floor plans are a cool and good thing

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Pissing me off: one of two or three people on the team that I actually respect is apparently graded 3 levels below "senior engineer" and 1 level above "new graduate", which we literally don't even hire on my team.

Also pissing me off: in order to get promoted to "senior" I apparently have to have "industry-wide impact" despite the fact that the people who currently hold the title on the team are actual driftwood who don't even have team-wide impact.

To the interviewmobile!

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Actuarial Fables posted:

Maybe they broke DNS previously?

The team isn't old enough to have any veteran hangers-on from a bygone era. Nobody on it has been at the company more than 2 years, because the previous SRE team was 2 people and they both quit at the same time after months of being overworked.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Unless you're in the business of selling yourselves like you're a consultancy or just fishing for Gartner recognition, why is 'industry-wide impact' even a relevant metric? Also you could get it by sending suspicious packages to Oracle and the industry would probably thank you, but it doesn't sound like that's what they are after.

At some point in the technical ladder, it is reasonable to expect people to have an impact outside of the company, be it speaking at conferences, or contributing significantly to open-source, or shepherding their own internal projects into the open source world.

But I would expect that from a distinguished engineer-level person, and we literally do not employ a single person at that level, before even beginning to touch on the obvious disparity between the expectations set when hiring vs. the expectations set when promoting. I would have an easier time getting senior if I just quit, applied again, interviewed for my old job, and asked for more money.

The traditional silicon valley technical ladder goes something like:

SDE 1/2: team or task-level impact
Senior/Staff: team-level impact, mentors juniors
Principal: impact outside of the team
Distinguished: company-wide or industry-wide impact
Fellow: A wizard?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

poo poo pissing me off: My current job, the culture here is so hosed up it's hard to describe.

poo poo not pissing me off: Managed to land 3 interviews in 2 weeks without too much effort so hopefully one of those pans out.

ayy, congrats! I have a couple in progress as well. :yotj: for both of us, hopefully.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 20, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Good luck. A 4th one came in for me, applied as a long shot as the position is more cloud/network security based than what I do now (traditional network engineering) but they replied in a day with a request for a phone interview.

Good luck, and good on you for making long-shot applications!

I've probably said this even in this thread before, but it's good and correct to apply for every job you want. It's the recruiter's job to filter you out if they don't think you're qualified.

I passed the phone screens for both companies I had in flight, and am doing the travel-booking rigamarole to head across the country two different times for onsites, so I am very excited, which I know makes me off-topic for this thread.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Jonny Nox posted:

I've worked for a couple companies now where there is a strong and hard won institutuin-wide "how not to do it" understanding.

Because we always end up doing it that way because something goes wrong and it becomes "gently caress it, just get it done" and processes fall to the wayside.

Then the project gets done and everyone looks back and say "We are NOT doing it like that ever again."

"And this time I mean it!"

On my team we don't even do it retroactively. Mid-project my boss will be like "I know this is a bad way to do it, and I know we said we wouldn't do this anymore, but..."

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Che Delilas posted:

I consider it a victory that I managed to convince management that we shouldn't deploy a somewhat-risky payload to production today, and instead wait until after the goddamned holiday weekend. I guess that's what a recent major outage will do for you.

It shouldn't even be a goddamn question.

if deploying and rolling back are that painful for your org, the actual problem is the deploy process, not the desire to deploy on a friday before the holidays.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Even if it takes thirty minutes in front of a keyboard to roll back and validate

I can't tell if you are saying 30 minutes of seat time is short, or long, but it's definitely crazy long. Rolling back a deploy of our monolith currently takes about 9 minutes and that's too long by like, 7 minutes.

I understand that getting to a good state is a process and not immediate, and it's definitely okay to say that deploys are blocked because we don't have the time or energy to monitor for a rollback right now, but it is not bad behavior to want to deploy on any given time or day, and being in a state where you have to block deploys sometimes is slowing your entire team/BU/company down in a very measurable way.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Aesis posted:

then you had to remove your device from 'Find My Device' on iCloud then factory format :stare:

Disabling find my device is normal, not so sure about preemptively reformatting.

Disabling find my device serves two purposes:
1. it shows that you are almost certainly the device owner, because it requires your password
2. more importantly, it removes the iCloud lock from the logic board, which means that if Apple chooses to send you a refurbished device instead of repairing yours, they can later repair yours. If the logic board is icloud locked, it is basically scrap.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Serious question, actually: I have a trip to HQ booked for next month, we have to do those way in advance. It's down in our travel policy that we specifically choose the non-refundable options. What do I do if I get an offer tomorrow or something and they're not cool with me having to wait out a full month to start after that trip? Is it going to bite me in the rear end to quit before that trip? I'd love to just not go, but it would be kind of nice to see the few people I like who haven't left yet for one last drink, and to hand off my lovely macbook and stuff and be able to walk away free and clear.

I don't think it'll be an issue, I'm thinking even the fastest company here will probably make an offer in 2 weeks at the earliest, then I give 2-3 weeks notice and it works out great. Ideally, I'd LOVE to actually pick my start and end dates so I get a bit of a break, say have my last day here be the last day of that trip, then have a week off to recover and relax. I've only been able to take one actual vacation in 3 years :(

How important this is kind of depends on how much you hate your current job, but if a company is not okay with your start date being a month from the day you accept, that is a pretty significant red flag, because everything they are working on is currently on fire and they need warm bodies to come in and firefight.

But, as has been said, if you didn't pay it out of pocket, it stops being your problem when you quit, so really either option is available to you.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

stevewm posted:

Well the new Verifone website is much nicer, but they still have the same terrible password requirements.

Their requirements actually substantially reduce the amount of possible passwords....

Bringing up the bottom while also bringing down the top is often an ok trade-off. Reducing the search space in such a way that the attacker can know that a password will never be nbmXYn8yP3V6vqQCm6YssabcB while also ensuring that a password will never be abc2019 is a net gain in security because the person who wanted to use nbmXYn8yP3V6vqQCm6YssabcB is still going to pick a relatively secure password and the person who wanted to pick abc2019 is going to pick a slightly more secure password.

That said, I agree with you that it's dumb and there are better ways to ensure password security.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
it's terrible and bad that windows has "sponsored links" or whatever to candy crush and a few other games, but it's very easy to uninstall them all with powershell.

Also, forums user Weedle, your avatar is very enjoyable.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
browser notifications are approved per-domain, in an opt-in fashion. if you’re getting ads from browser notifications I assume you’re only mad about it because they cover up your BonziBuddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Agrikk posted:

Is there a way to disable this “feature” for all browsers forever? Because holy poo poo.

Maybe not "all browsers forever", but if you're on win10 you can open "notifications and actions" in settings and then disable notifications for your browser.