Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
I have been tasked with researching/implementing a print limiting solution. With the size of environment ~1000 students and ~300 or so staff it doesn't seem to really be worth the investment. It just seems crazy to spend a bunch of time and money without being able to quantify how much "print waste" is really costing the college.

I have voiced my objections but it seems this has a hell of lot of support from upper management.

We had print limiting setup a few years ago. In the five years it was running there was not a single request for usage reports for staff or students. All it did was create a huge influx of tickets at the start of the semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Get Papercut, the license for something that size won't be too much money, and it's pretty easy to setup. Won't be too much skin off your teeth, and it can just run in the background forever being useless.

Thanks for the tip. I had been looking at Pharos, which looked to be quite expensive.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
poo poo that pisses me off: Adobe Flash.

I deployed new Adobe Flash updates (Via GPO) and a handful of my users are hanging during start up. A quick house call to manually remove the old version and install the new resolved the issue.

Have we gotten to the point yet where I can stop deploying it? I would expect that most sites using flash would of made the switch to HTML5 a while ago.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

wolrah posted:

This is why despite the other management issues it can bring with it I load Chrome on every machine I'm responsible for. Need Flash? Ok, use this browser that doesn't suck and automatically updates both itself and the bundled Flash. IE and Flash are not allowed to mix unless there's something that actually requires that combination.

This is exactly what I am thinking of doing as we are already pushing Chrome out to all machines.

On a side note, I think quicktime should be put out to pasture.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

stevewm posted:

Have you considered using something like PDQDeploy to push out updates or software instead? It is a hell of a lot easier and less likely to fail than the GPO method.

They offer a subscription service where pre-made packages of things such as Flash, Java, Firefox, etc.. are made available as soon as they are updated. Pushing these out takes but a few clicks. It is completely worth the price.

I have setup most of our applications to deploy through SCCM. The exceptions are Flash, Java, and Quicktime. it was quicker from an administrative standpoint to just update and push through GPO. I then use reporting services a few days later to generate a report on machines still running the old versions. It has worked fairly well so far, there are only 2-3 computers that ever seem to have issues. I think the users may be turning them off when they see the "Please Wait" screen.

I have looked into PDQDeploy before in the past. It seems like a great product. Unfortunately, the college is in full on penny pinching mode. I don't know if I will be able to sell my boss on a product that will only save me time and frustration.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
I just found out that our cell phone re-reimbursements are being slashed. That coupled with a dramatic increase in our health insurance premiums and a mediocre cost of living raise means that I am now making less per month than last year. :smith:

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Man, it sure sucks that you won't be able to afford your cell phone without the reimbursement. Oh well, I am sure issues can wait until morning, or Monday, or when you get back from vacation.

To make it even worse, we don't even have a formal on-call rotation. I literally could be called at any time. Hell, I got called about a minor issue when i was at my brother's wedding reception(I didn't recognize the number).

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
So with very little notice, I have been asked to "pack an overnight bag" and stay at the college during this blizzard. I this a reasonable request? Should I ask for additional compensation even though I'm salaried? (Could be snowed in until Wednesday)

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
I talked to my immediate supervisor and voiced my concerns. He was not able to convince the CIO that this was unnecessary, so he offered to stay in my place.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

At least one facilities dude is probably being asked to stay too.

I used to work in webhosting and I live in the south, one year back in either 04 or 05 we had a really bad ice storm and due to the number of callouts management asked a few of us 1st shift dudes who were in before the storm if we'd be willing to crash at the hotel next door if the company hooked us up.

2 per room + $100 on each room for room service. My roomie and I hit the hotel bar and got shitfaced on the company dime and then stumbled around downtown in the frozen hellscape for a bit. It was fun.

I think I dodged a bullet, I just saw facilities come and setup two cots in the CIO's office. It looks like my supervisor is going to have a fun 3 days with him.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

Moey posted:

No one ever download VMTurbo's free monitoring software. They will call you everyday, forever.

I had to resort to not picking up external calls. This strategy worked fairly well until they caught on and started calling the fitness center and having them transfer the call.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
I recently started a new job :yotj:, I moved from a junior sysadmin role into running a small IT department. It has only been 2 weeks and I already have some stories to tell.

Pissing me off so far:

The AD domain name is not a FQDN IE. "Contoso" instead of "Contoso.com"

Almost all of the computers are not domain joined. (users log in via local user accounts with local admin rights)

The minimum password length in AD is set to "0".

A dozen or so random user accounts and a few security groups were members of the Domain Administrator group

Several servers are NAT'd so they are externally accessible via RDP.

DNS has way more zones configured than it has any right to even have.

~200 printers (mix of models)

With everything I've seen, I can't trust the integrity of anything I haven't personally configured.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
I'm thinking that I may just start joining machines to the domain whenever they get imaged/replaced.

From the users perspective, there is not that much difference between a local user account and a domain account (assuming they only ever use that one machine). Once things are running smoother, I can start pulling back on local admin permissions.

I honestly have no idea how I am going to get printing in check. Its crazy, there are tons of people who have more than one printer in their offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

How many work? Also figure up how much you waste in toner, send that to someone that signs checks with an explanation of how much cheaper it'll be with one or two larger printers per work area, make sure to include your time as a line item on both, and then in two minutes you'll have new printers.

He'll summon them into existence with cost saving magic.

A few years back one of my predecessors tried that. He wasn't able to wean people off personal printers and now we have high volume printers and personal printers. My poor helpdesk guy's day is 90% printer support.

I've already requested the last 5 years budget reports from finance. With any luck I can prove my point with fancy charts and graphs.