Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Development server is down. In the middle of working on it we started getting "Welcome to nginx" messages (we use Apache) and FTP, RDP was all broken. We called the hosting company, they're working on it and now the server is down. I'm torn between how I want to bet: either they've gotten confused, wiped and installed nginx, or someone has been loving around with nameservers and they didn't know what they were doing.

Does anybody have the photo of that server cabinet in a flooded room with water gushing out of the fan? I googled and searched a bunch but couldn't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The server is back up again. I guess we will never know what happened, and now it's too late. If only I had found that photo in time. I could have been the hero of the office. I could have had it all...

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I got a 'lol' out of it from my boss so I'm happy to split that with you straight down the middle, 50-50.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Ah... that wonderful stage in a project lifespan where the other two come running towards me half in tears saying that everything is broken on stuff that "we" built (which I've never seen before and just a week ago was stuff "they" built). The problem? We purged the database to fill it with clean data in preparation for the next/final milestone and suddenly all their scripts which refer to hardcoded value names in the database are no longer pointing to the right thing.

Yes, that sounds like something "we" would have done together and there's no way anybody could have ever had the foresight to point out that hardcoding references to dynamically-generated names might not be the most future-proof way of designing a website.

What's fantastic is that I don't have time to redo it for him and I am absolutely confident that he's just going to update the values to the new ones and then tell our client not to change those values. And since our client isn't the final client, he may as well be shouting into the wind.

e: For reference I am the shittest developer or computer person ever so I'm pretty terrified at the amount of times these guys have come to me with a problem (after slapping their club fists at the keyboard for four days straight) only for me to say "you can't do that, that's not how computers work".

And don't get me started on SQL injection.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2013

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Oh, good. Monday morning and the boss has spent all weekend 'bugfixing' code I've been working on, adding new functionality, changing functionality, etc. Scroll through the git commit changes - not a single comment to explain what he's doing. Just comment stuff out, delete lines, add lines, change whatever he wants, and doesn't even update the existing comments I took the care to write for all my code. So now a whole bunch of that is bound to be out of date and misleading - assuming his changes even work. Since he's not a good coder he often breaks poo poo or introduces unexpected behaviour or annoying debug warnings that the client complains about.

But I'm quitting in a month minus 1 day so I'm not going to bother updating the comments or even analysing what he's changed, let him deal with it. I've been sleeping in the bed he's made for the past year and a half and I'm goddamn sick of it. I'll check to see if the project works as-is (with his modifications) and then give it the green light so this piece of poo poo client can take it and ram it up their arse. This is the same client I worked a 28-hour day for a couple months ago.

Ugh as soon as you have a date on which you're quitting, your non-working hours get so much easier and your working hours get so much harder. Why did I do him the favour of giving him a 2-month window to find my replacement, knowing all the while he wouldn't even bother posting a goddamn ad?

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 24, 2014